Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rudest Buddhist posted:

How many PPL goons do we have now. Would anybody be interested in a fly-in BBQ out west? KPRB / KTUS / KABQ? KSMO before it goes away forever?

Quite a few, some listed their local airport in the OP however IIRC most are east coast. I'd be down if I had the time off an it was on the East coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

azflyboy posted:

Part 91 pilots can legally take off in absolutely zero visibility (which is a colossally stupid idea), and can actually attempt an approach even if the weather is reported to be nowhere close to the approach minimums, neither of which are allowed for airlines in the US.

:wtc:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rudest Buddhist posted:

How many PPL goons do we have now. Would anybody be interested in a fly-in BBQ out west? KPRB / KTUS / KABQ? KSMO before it goes away forever?

I vote for KCOS or KAPA because I'm a first year regional pilot that can't afford to rent planes anymore.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Well a DA is a “decision” altitude not a minimum descent altitude. There’s nothing in the CFR stipulating how quickly you must make said decision and how fast you need to add power and pitch up. If, while still tracking the localized and glideslope and in the process of deciding, you notice the runway lights come into view, then you can land.

Just fly precisely. Less than one dot deviation on localizer puts your wheels over the tarmac when you cross the treshold.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 23, 2018

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

The FAA posted:

91.13 – Careless or reckless operation. (a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So endangering my own life and property is fine!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
It’s funny that I started this convo about IFR take-off minimums...

This podcast was in my queue and I just got around to listening to it:

https://overcast.fm/+Kar384sg

quote:

Zero / Zero, Some Game

THE FINER POINTS - AVIATION PODCAST

MAR 16 ⋅ 9:41

On February 17, 2010, three top engineers from Tesla Motors died when they attempted to take off in 0/0 conditions from Palo Alto airport. In this episode we discuss this accident, IFR takeoff minimums, and strategies professional pilots use to stay safe.

Fly Your Best,

Jason

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

hobbesmaster posted:

So endangering my own life and property is fine!

The FAA (airline mafia) doesn’t care if you kill yourself or your friends in your little Cirrus. The purpose of the FAA is to prevent commercial airline accidents.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

AWSEFT posted:

Quite a few, some listed their local airport in the OP however IIRC most are east coast. I'd be down if I had the time off an it was on the East coast.

speaking of the OP, can you update me to "CFI-I at KBFI", please?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Oh yeah, I guess I can get in the list too.

KJYO based ASEL PP

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/03/23/how-cnn-airport-force-feeds-partisan-content-to-unsuspecting-travelers.html

If Fox News is going to complain about CNN at airports then CNN should run an article about Fox News blaring 24/7 at every FBO pilot lounge, especially if there is a NetJets pilot within about 100 yards.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
lol @ Fox News complaining about “increasingly ideological” news

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Two Kings posted:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/03/23/how-cnn-airport-force-feeds-partisan-content-to-unsuspecting-travelers.html

If Fox News is going to complain about CNN at airports then CNN should run an article about Fox News blaring 24/7 at every FBO pilot lounge, especially if there is a NetJets pilot within about 100 yards.

This is literally fox trying to go on the TVs in airports without paying isn't it. Fox news isn't even submitting bids for these contracts!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The free market isn’t fair and balanced :pedophiles:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Two Kings posted:

loving hell amen. Fox and friends is nails on the chalkboard and I don’t need more of that poo poo in my life.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Two Kings posted:

Is it a NetJets-specific problem, or is it all corporate guys? My former instructor is doing the corporate thing now, and from what he's told me it's very good in terms of culture and work-life balance where he is, and he wants me to apply when I get some more hours, but the things I've heard in this thread are not so encouraging about the corporate route.

EDIT: I should add that he's not a Fox News type at all -- I heard him one time in an argument with our dispatcher, trying to convince the dispatcher that global warming is a real thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s not that every Net Jets guy is a yahoo, but if a corporate pilot will not stop loud-bitching while demanding everyone change what they’re watching to Fox, there’s a 99% chance they are with Net Jets.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Talked to PC-24 serial number one (101, technically) today. The jealousness on frequency was palpable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The DC 13X headset I ordered arrived and I flew with it today for about 1.5 hours. Works great! It's plenty comfortable and the noise cancelling, both passive and active, is excellent. Admittedly I'm just in a C-152 (though the one I was flying is a bit hot-rodded out, with an O-320) so it's not super loud anyway but I thought the sound level was perfect. Nothing droning or annoying but can still hear the engine note fine. I like the design of the mic boom (semi-articulated) better than the plain bendy kind.

Definitely happy with it for <500 bucks.

Note to anyone else purchasing one: don't forget the mono/stereo switch low down on the cord Y-connector. Otherwise you'll only have sound in one ear until you figure it out :downs:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 24, 2018

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Two Kings posted:

I remember CNN Airport Network. Now it's just CNN, sometimes substituted with live sports at ATL.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The best compromise is to throw every FBO television into the ocean.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

The best compromise is to throw every FBO television into the ocean.

The best FBO lounge troll is to set the TV to that Catholic Channel (EWTN) with Mother Angelica and hide the remote in a desk drawer somewhere while the NetJets guys are taking a collective dump.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ausgezeichnet posted:

The best FBO lounge troll is to set the TV to that Catholic Channel (EWTN) with Mother Angelica and hide the remote in a desk drawer somewhere while the NetJets guys are taking a collective dump.

I’ve done this a few times with MTV. Rob Dyrdek’s Ridiculousness was on and it was hilarious. Half the pilots were laughing at the people getting hit in the nuts and the net jets guys were just whining about youths!

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

a patagonian cavy posted:

speaking of the OP, can you update me to "CFI-I at KBFI", please?

dexter6 posted:

Oh yeah, I guess I can get in the list too.

KJYO based ASEL PP

Done and done

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

You guys make me wanna open an airport gas station so I can leave it locked on Al Jazeera

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

You guys make me wanna open an airport gas station so I can leave it locked on Al Jazeera

Our flight school operates out of an FBO and, if I wind up moving there from the college, I'm totally doing this with the pilot lounge TV.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I've just been setting our dispatch tablets' homepage to pfchangs.com because we don't have TVs :(

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Are you kidding me?

https://www.southwestpleasehire.me/

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ugh can't he just go to job fairs and drop on his knees like the rest of us?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
He's got the balls to put himself out there like that which is more than what most of us can claim, and I hope Southwest hires him so all the Fox News crowd can get aneurysms over it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

vessbot posted:

He's got the balls to put himself out there like that which is more than what most of us can claim, and I hope Southwest hires him so all the Fox News crowd can get aneurysms over it.

Then hopefully no one in SWA standards sees the website because the front page has footage of what one can assume he took from the captain's windshield of a CRJ he is taxiing while he records it with his camera phone. Not that no one here hasn't done worse, but still illegal, and not the smartest thing to publish on a website. Maybe SWA won't care as much but Delta for example would nail him to a cross for it.

-edit-
What I personally found kind of creepy is how he tries to use his baby and wife to promote himself as the right and wholesome candidate. There is a reason stuff like marital status, sexual orientation, children, etc are not discussed during job interviews. Keep your family life to yourself, it doesn't make you better than anyone else.

Animal fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 27, 2018

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Animal posted:

Then hopefully no one in SWA standards sees the website because the front page has footage of what one can assume he took from the captain's windshield of a CRJ he is taxiing while he records it with his camera phone. Not that no one here hasn't done worse, but still illegal, and not the smartest thing to publish on a website that you are trying to use to get hired

If there was such a thing, he smartened up and took it down already because I can't find it.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

So long Great Mistakes.

quote:

3/26/18
Great Lakes Suspends Scheduled Flight Operations
As a result, at midnight tonight – Monday, 3/26/18, Great Lakes will suspend scheduled flight operations as an air carrier.
Although we are ceasing flight operations, it is important to note that the company has not entered bankruptcy and will continue to operate certain segments of the business. We will continue to support the ADI flights operating between Denver, Pierre and Watertown.
For those customers who are holding tickets on flights on/after 3/27/18, please contact your original booking source for a refund.

http://www.greatlakesav.com/alerts/Great%20Lakes%20Suspends%20Scheduled%20Flight%20Operations.pdf

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

vessbot posted:

If there was such a thing, he smartened up and took it down already because I can't find it.

Scroll down and look at the background video behind the blue, yellow, and green links next to his picture of him standing - its clearly footage he took while taxiing and hand holding his phone under the windshield.

edit - its not on the mobile site, but very prominent on the full site.

Animal fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 27, 2018

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Ah - got it. My brain was auto-filtering the video background. Yeah, I agree with you there. Anyway, my original point still stands, and furthermore I hope that once he gets hired he spikes the football in the faces of all the haters who're also vying for Southwest and says "Whats the matter snowflaaaakes - didn't get your participation trophy?" Because you know that's what they're saying about him now. And then he transitions to female.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

vessbot posted:

Ah - got it. My brain was auto-filtering the video background. Yeah, I agree with you there. Anyway, my original point still stands, and furthermore I hope that once he gets hired he spikes the football in the faces of all the haters who're also vying for Southwest and says "Whats the matter snowflaaaakes - didn't get your participation trophy?" Because you know that's what they're saying about him now. And then he transitions to female.

Funny you say that. I personally know a pilot who became a woman and then interviewed at SWA. Didn't get the job.

I don't thing this guy is gonna piss off the conservative crowd TOO much, he has a beautiful white family. If he was middle eastern....

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Actually right after writing what "you know," I decided to check it against reality -- and I was wrong. In the thread in the APC Southwest section, the vast majority of posts are either praising his spunk, or coolly and neutrally analyzing the site's potential effects. Very few are, uhm, what I expected.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 27, 2018

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

ausgezeichnet posted:

Cartoon Network also has a similar effect.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why does he want Southwest specifically? Just because he already lives in the area they serve? Or do they have a particularly desirable package?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

drat, end of an era.

Glad I help put them out of business flying shady rear end EAS scheduled 135 in PC12s undercutting the poo poo out of them.