Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah mmo hits way too close to home sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Relin posted:

don't use mangafox and its subsidiaries. i clicked this since i didn't know what series it was and it said it was licensed in your country and then accidentally clicked an ad image in my haste. luckily i use several layers of browser security but in the long past i once got a virus from MF

This is how I feel about kissmanga which some people use. Folks, Mangadex now has a option to have all the chapter pages displayed in one scroll.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Can I import my kissmanga bookmark list to mangadex

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Never a dull moment with creepy stalker guy around

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Beastars won the Manga Taisho award.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-03-22/paru-itagaki-beastars-wins-11th-manga-taisho-awards/.129344

An interesting pick really, and actually a pretty good manga.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

now they have to animate it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The art is very stylized and rough at times, it'll take a good studio to avoid it getting Jitsu Wa'd. I have no idea who could do it off-hand.

IIRC it also recently won some poll on a fairly large Japanese site for "What would you like to see animated?". Someone will take a crack at it probably.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fabricated posted:

Beastars won the Manga Taisho award.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-03-22/paru-itagaki-beastars-wins-11th-manga-taisho-awards/.129344

An interesting pick really, and actually a pretty good manga.
god drat you just let dungeon meshi win already

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Captain Invictus posted:

god drat you just let dungeon meshi win already
The fact that it has been nominated like 3 times is pretty good.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ever since Hibiki beat out every other 2017 nominated comic the Taisho is dead to me.

Beastars rules though

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hibiki is great.

Latest chapter with creepy guy showing the depth and banality of his creepiness is just... what a character.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fabricated posted:

The fact that it has been nominated like 3 times is pretty good.

Always a bridesmaid, never a bride

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Fabricated posted:

The art is very stylized and rough at times, it'll take a good studio to avoid it getting Jitsu Wa'd. I have no idea who could do it off-hand.

IIRC it also recently won some poll on a fairly large Japanese site for "What would you like to see animated?". Someone will take a crack at it probably.

I read the premise in the link and it sounds like Japanese Zootopia.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

punk rebel ecks posted:

I read the premise in the link and it sounds like Japanese Zootopia.
Basically yeah. You can see a lot of the Zootopia influence on its sleeve. It's more of a drama and kinda flips the premise a bit more.

Basically the animals in Beastars while being more humanoid in their designs are far more animal than their Zootopia counterparts. In Zootopia animals don't really have savage instincts they deal with (the whole point of the movie is that they're all civilized sufficiently- it takes a literal drug to make an animal snap), In Beastars most of their natural instincts are something every animal struggles with and it's not uncommon for them to fail at it to disastrous consequences. Beastars is super, super Japanese in the whole vision of it being this society trying REALLY loving hard to be traditionally harmonious and polite, but with this world having a nearly ridiculous amount of differences to smooth over- also with it being a high-school drama.

It also makes a stronger effort to differentiate it's version of the pred/prey dynamic (which is herbivore/carnivore). The carnivores in Beastars have far different struggles than the Herbivores past mere perception. Carnivores have to be extraordinarily careful to not injure herbivores depending on their species because their strength differences means even tugging on a smaller herbivores arm to get their attention or forgetting you have claws can cause grievous injury. Herbivores have to struggle against their instincts to be fearful/distrusting/lovely with carnivores because really the majority of them are in fact perfectly normal, nice people who have 0 desire to harm or eat them.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 23, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://mangadex.org/chapter/198861/1

Guess whats back

Back again

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I started reading Monster and goddamn is Urasawa a master of the smug self-important face that just needs to be punched.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Man I didn't realize Dorohedoro switched scanlation groups, but on the bright side now I got to read two great chapters in one go

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

this chapter was weird to me. i guess they are trying to get the plot moving, but it felt like an odd chapter that wasnt in tone with the rest of the manga. i guess i wanted less supernatural stuff in my manga about a ghost jimi hendrix

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I started reading Monster and goddamn is Urasawa a master of the smug self-important face that just needs to be punched.

He honed his craft during the years he drew Happy!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

this chapter was weird to me. i guess they are trying to get the plot moving, but it felt like an odd chapter that wasnt in tone with the rest of the manga. i guess i wanted less supernatural stuff in my manga about a ghost jimi hendrix
Gotta reveal the big bad at some point

an evil musician manager trying to join the 27 club spirits into a single almighty group is a suitable one

though the executing failures and blowing out the kneecaps of subordinates who fail him seems a liiiiiiiittle too Lethal Weapon/Die Hard villain

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

https://readms.net/r/grashros/14/4981/1

On this episode of Grashros Z
Someone has dragonball on the mind

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

wow

I read the prologue chapter when it dropped awhile back and thought it was cool but it's turned out to just kind of be trash huh

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Trashros

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I dunno, I really want to see the explanation for why he's yelling shounen attack names

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it seemed to finally have some semblance of a direction last chapter but lol what the gently caress. doesn't help that it is competing in the same niche as the much better Dr. Stone, at least for my attention.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Bungou Stray Dogs 61: https://imgur.com/a/Nk7AF

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Beastars is one of the most disappointing mangas I've read in ages.

The first two-dozen chapters work well to set-up a really strong story. There's a setting with a lot of interesting underlying presumptions, a slow-burning murder-mystery whodunit, a romance with obvious-yet-intriguing reversal of expectations (the herbivore is flirtatious and assertive, the carnivore is introverted and stoic), and a sensible vector for drama and plot to push the characters into uneasy situations (literally the highschool drama club).

I thought the story was going to delve into the issues like: not letting what society says you want get in the way of what you truly desire, and not letting who you're told to be get in the way of who you truly are. How to present yourself when you're afraid of your own appearance and emotions. How much are people's inability to resist their 'instinctual' desires just an excuse to be transgression in a stifling society. Well, instead of dealing with any of this, the manga took a dive into the kiddie-pool and started chugging the poolwater.

The main character doesn't develop through dealing with his numerous emotional issues, but by lifting weights, training with a literal kung-fu-panda, and hunting down criminals like a highschool batman. The female lead's most outstanding trait. her comfort with and control of her own sexuality, is stripped away by being inexplicably kidnapped by an unintroduced band of yakuza-lions, getting literally stripped naked, and having the cannibalistic boss imitate cunnilingus while he 'inspects the meat'. Also, for some reason, the prom-king ('Beastar') of the school is important enough to be a matter of international diplomacy? It's all so juvenile.

Also, the main romance has stalled out in that contemptible 'they both said they love each other, but haven't agreed to date' phase for like 30+ chapters.

Check it out if you're interested in seeing a setup with a ton of potential get spiked by a sophomoric execution. Dungeon Meshi is waaaay better.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 27, 2018

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda got bored by Dungeon Meshi when the actual plot with the dungeon itself kicked in.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Darn, I was enjoying Beastars and had read up to where that Panda doctor initially appeared. The stuff that comes after sounds unfortunate.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't think it's as bad as described really but there was a stretch where I thought it kinda meandered but it recently got interesting again I think.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Oh, Wizard's Soul ended. Glad it didn't drag on, that was nice.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dogsicle posted:

it seemed to finally have some semblance of a direction last chapter but lol what the gently caress. doesn't help that it is competing in the same niche as the much better Dr. Stone, at least for my attention.

The latest chapter confused me to the point where I wondered if it was some sort of edit. It just felt really abrupt and out of nowhere. When I first read it I thought "Well, I haven't been following this series, so I'll read from the 2nd chapter and I'm sure it'll make sense by then" but it felt just as abrupt and confusing the second time around.

If anyone was expecting anything not kinda-trashy from this, I don't think they've read the main past work by the author, though (Kami-sama no Iu Toori, which is a really fun, but still trashy, death game manga).

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Ohhhh no! I've been really curious about Beastars so that's disappointing to hear.

My deep dark secret is that I read a few chapters of Dungeon Meshi and didn't feel like sticking with it. I'm sure I need to give it more of a chance, and I will eventually, but not yet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's right in the middle of the main plot instead of fairly one-off shenanigans, so it may be for the best that you wait. That said, the chapters are still really good once a month

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

By the way, the Mad Dogs' names are a bit on the obscure side, aren't they? Some of them don't even have English Wikipedia articles. I guess they already used up a lot of Japanese author names on the Armed Detective Agency and Port Mafia.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Beaststars is interesting enough in terms of setting to keep me reading and there are some chapters I really liked (which ironically are not wholly connected to the main plot like the developing friendship of the cheetah and sheep girl which was really cute). I agree that the plot is meandering and I wish it kind of wrapped up faster in a way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Since people are confessing to not liking Dungeon Meshi I must admit that while I liked it at the start my interest just disappeared when after they resurrect the sister, she just disappears again so they can keep the status quo or whatever instead of having her join the party and have a new goal I don't know if that changes later but that kind of storytelling just completely kills my investment any time it happens