Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

chutwig posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Windows diff tool? Doesn't need to be free. On OS X, I am very used to Kaleidoscope. In particular, I like having a list of all added/deleted/changed files on the left. All the Windows tools I've tried react to git difftool by opening one file at a time, then moving to the next one when I close that file, but maybe this is just me invoking the tool the wrong way from Git.

Here's a screenshot of the sort of view I'd like in a Windows diff tool:

Jetbrains GoLand as an IDE and it’s built in diff tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

chutwig posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Windows diff tool? Doesn't need to be free. On OS X, I am very used to Kaleidoscope. In particular, I like having a list of all added/deleted/changed files on the left. All the Windows tools I've tried react to git difftool by opening one file at a time, then moving to the next one when I close that file, but maybe this is just me invoking the tool the wrong way from Git.

Here's a screenshot of the sort of view I'd like in a Windows diff tool:

Git Extensions has this sort of functionality built into the UI itself, not as a third-party diff tool, but that might involve shaking up your workflow too much.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

This guy gets it. Beyond compare is a fantastic tool.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Kdiff3 that's bundled with tortoisehg sometimes does not merge nicely. Beyond Compare never fails.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Beyond Compare is probably what I’m looking for, thanks.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have two git repositories, one called "dotfiles" and one called "useful-scripts." I'd like to combine useful-scripts into dotfiles and then delete useful-scripts.

What's the "appropriate way" to do this? I'd like to keep all history from useful-scripts in tact so I can figure out what I've done in the past.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You could either do a full history rewrite, to put everything into a single branch history, or otherwise you could do something where you import one repository into the other as a disconnected branch, then merge them to a single branch going forward.

Metaconcert
Nov 28, 2010

"And my answer is when there are nine"
On the "rewriting history"* front, there's sure to be some filter-branch invocation that will make it look like you always built these things in lockstep. I'd be interested in seeing it, but I've not spent much time using it in anger.

Actually, does anyone have any good use cases for filter-branch and friends? There's the old "sensitive data in the repo" case, this article on Rust's documentation repository.

* This increasingly strikes me as a poor term for the process. It's understood, but combining understanding of 'here is an alternative series of changes' and 'I've removed commits from this label' seems to complicate things.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have two git repositories, one called "dotfiles" and one called "useful-scripts." I'd like to combine useful-scripts into dotfiles and then delete useful-scripts.

What's the "appropriate way" to do this? I'd like to keep all history from useful-scripts in tact so I can figure out what I've done in the past.

I haven’t used it but it came up at work that ‘git submodule absorbgitdirs’ may do what you want or it may not. If it doesn’t what I had done is basically this:

Git clone dotfiles
Git add remote place containing useful-scripts
Git merge useful-scripts master
Git push dotfiles.

I’ve also used that to ‘remove’ submodules. IE: RepoA has submodule of RepoB at location RepoB:
In RepoB:
Mkdir RepoB
Git my * RepoB
Git commit
In RepoA:
Git submodule remove RepoB
Git remote add RepoB
Git merge RepoB/master

There’s one commit of the moving the hierarchy down but git log —follow works as expected.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Anybody ever buys Perforce for new non-games teams? Is it very expensive or just expensive when you go above free workload? I saw they no longer show pricing for some reason.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shy posted:

Anybody ever buys Perforce for new non-games teams? Is it very expensive or just expensive when you go above free workload? I saw they no longer show pricing for some reason.

I don't think many people currently buy p4 like that. It's new company market share has really fallen. It's fairly expensive and per seat, but the reason why they no longer show pricing is they were acquired recently and are trying to pivot to being enterprise software with cloud licensing. So unless you talk to your sales manager you won't get a price out of them.

I just went back to p4 for a project after 6 years with git and it amazes me how bad the tooling is around it these days. There are so many 3rd party tools that just have no concept that p4 could exist and workflow breaks in horrible ways.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Something like $800/seat and it's forever, but you have to reach a certain number of seats.

Else $350/seat/year.

Also, they are egregious Windows devs and their documentation is super loving garbage especially for running a Linux server. Also poo poo defaults to case insensitive and you can't change it later.

It's still better than git.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

smackfu posted:

What does Git LFS look like if someone doesn’t have the LFS client? Do they just get stub files instead of the binaries?

A page and three weeks late but: they will get the stub files and be confused as to why things break.

Having a 500 MB file in a git repo where work is happening is probably not a good idea. You could use LFS or just have a bootstrap script or makefile download it if this is an environment where that makes sense.

A possible compromise is to make a submodule with only the binary. That at least isolates the giant binary data from the repository where work happens, while keeping the binary reasonably easy to update at need. The downside is that now you have a submodule and submodules are evil.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Submodules aren't that bad, especially now that the UI has had some love :shrug:

You'd just be badly reimplementing LFS, though.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ralith posted:

Submodules aren't that bad, especially now that the UI has had some love :shrug:

You'd just be badly reimplementing LFS, though.

What’s the UI changes? Also git lfs is just a bad implementation of manifest files people have used for years

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Tried Beyond Compare after a bunch of people recommending it and wow it's something I didn't know I needed so much.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shy posted:

Tried Beyond Compare after a bunch of people recommending it and wow it's something I didn't know I needed so much.

I needed a tool to do folder and file diffs last week and dug up the thread recommendation and ‘Beyond Compare’ is easily the best windows diff tool I’ve ever used.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
How are you supposed to deal with versioning with git? For instance in a version in an `__init__.py` or `Cargo.toml` file. Like if you have 3 branches off of 0.2 that should up the version to 0.3, should you just wait until you merge them to bump the version? I've been doing it differently but it just seems to result in a bunch of merge obnoxiousness where you have to constantly revise the version number.

I generally don't like the log looking like:

Merged branch foo,
Bumped version

Because conceptually to me, merging the branch should be part of bumping the version.

But I'm not sure if that's better than doing the version bump right before you merge Foo or after. I guess it's hair splitting and preference, just curious if there are any benefits I haven't thought of. I just noticed my current way of bumping at the start of the branch is not working.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always figure you should do one of two things

1. Every merge creates a monotonically increasing version bump, and you release under that version number even if there are “holes” in the sequence

2. Keep an “internal” monotonically increasing version as above, but map it to an independent “external” version with explicit manual links, and that version is what users see

That’s just me though, no idea whether it’s best practice or not

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Can't you make the version bump an amendment to the merge commit? It's not illegal to have more changes than just the strict merge in a merge commit, although might be unusual.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

nielsm posted:

Can't you make the version bump an amendment to the merge commit? It's not illegal to have more changes than just the strict merge in a merge commit, although might be unusual.

Yeah, that's a good point. I think part of me is just lazy and wants to use github's make it easy button. I'll try and do that.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Please do not ever put functional changes into a merge commit.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
I use a release branch that sets the version number when the branch is created. All feature branches get merged into that release branch but don't touch the version number.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
At work we use GitVersion and have it pipe version numbers into our deployment tools that overwrite whatever version numbers are needed wherever they are. Version numbers as such don't live in our source code. We're still working out the particular workflow kinks but for the most part it works decently.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Is there a way to have 2 different accounts on github with the same ssh public key? If not (which seems to be the case) can the key to be used be specified in a repo's config?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Volguus posted:

Is there a way to have 2 different accounts on github with the same ssh public key?

You connect to the server with the username "git" and your public key. Since the username is fixed the only thing you've got left to identify the account is your public key so it can only map to one account.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Version numbers exist strictly for people who don't have access to source code. For developers who do, branch name and commit tag are all you need and work much better.

So, never touch your version info file during actual development, at all (Do edit the changelog / release notes, though).. When want to publish a new release, commit a change directly to master with the version bump and nothing else.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm quietly going insane from CRLF/LF issues that are somehow appearing in an entirely windows shop running Git under TFS. Does anyone know what the correct settings to make this poo poo stop happening are, either in .gitattributes, git config, or VS or TFS themselves?

(ed) While I'm at it is there a way to make TFS2015+ count whitespace-only diffs in a pull request as not-diffs so they don't show up?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

I'm quietly going insane from CRLF/LF issues that are somehow appearing in an entirely windows shop running Git under TFS. Does anyone know what the correct settings to make this poo poo stop happening are, either in .gitattributes, git config, or VS or TFS themselves?

(ed) While I'm at it is there a way to make TFS2015+ count whitespace-only diffs in a pull request as not-diffs so they don't show up?

What specific issues are you encountering?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

VS throws up a crlf dialog whenever a file is opened

Both team explorer in commits and TFS in pull request insist that tons of files changed but diff in VS/TFS shows either nothing or whitespace only. Git status is correct

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 22, 2018

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
We had this pop up recently. I bet you're got someone issuing the git bash command line, and they chose to override eols.
You might try
git diff --ignore-space-at-eol

Or seeing when things go haywire and yelling with the committing dev.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

boo_radley posted:

this is the solution

also for posterity make sure everyone is using the same autocrlf setting

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

boo_radley posted:

We had this pop up recently. I bet you're got someone issuing the git bash command line, and they chose to override eols.
You might try
git diff --ignore-space-at-eol

I'll try this command when I go back upstairs, but the problem is git at the command line is already correct--it's VS and TFS that are misreporting.

And it's happening to everyone--we all get asked to convert by VS when we open files that we haven't modified in the current commit yet, and everyone's getting the same massive amount of fake changes according to Team Explorer.

Worse, I'm the only one on the team who's any good at the Git command line, which also probably means no one has hosed with their configs.

ChickenWing posted:

this is the solution

also for posterity make sure everyone is using the same autocrlf setting
Isn't core.autocrlf completely overridden by the * text=auto setting in .gitattributes?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The problem seems to be that, for the first commit in a new branch, Visual Studio thinks all of the files in the repo have changed, where the git shell does not. So what the devs are doing (including myself, previously) is committing a bunch of arbitrary whitespace changes of unknown nature introduced by Visual Studio, then when it comes time to do a pull request in TFS, it highlights those as diffs but marks them as whitespace only and provides no option to show the diff so I can see whether the whitespace is line endings or some other thing--and because git can't see it, I have no other way to see the differences.

So. VS Git integration sucks.

I need to learn how to tell VS two things:

1) Stop automatically including changes in a commit. Change it so that the developer has to stage files for commit manually, just like in normal Git. I don't know how to make it do this.
2) Stop making whatever damned changes you're making. I don't know how to do this, either.

Option 3 is telling the developers to stop using the VS integration and start using command line/gitk/git gui, but I can guarantee that will cause a lot of pushback and frankly I'd rather not do it anyway (rebasing is much easier in VS for example).

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

So. VS Git integration sucks.

I'm assuming this is VS2015? VS2017 is better about a lot of this stuff, if for no other reason than they're transitioning everyone in the company to using Git and dogfooding all of this stuff, so if VS's Git client sucks, the VS team hears about it.

(but yes, VS's Git client has traditionally been awkward at best)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I'm assuming this is VS2015? VS2017 is better about a lot of this stuff, if for no other reason than they're transitioning everyone in the company to using Git and dogfooding all of this stuff, so if VS's Git client sucks, the VS team hears about it.

(but yes, VS's Git client has traditionally been awkward at best)

Yeah, this is 2015. We're getting the latest version of 2017 Soon® (pending security approval, airgapped network etc).

I think what I might do is tell everyone to just stop using the Team Explorer window in VS entirely and give a crash course tomorrow on git gui while walking around and fixing everyone's topic branches after I do whatever the gently caress I gotta do to fix the problem forevermore in master. At least there's only four of us, including me.

What would you recommend for settings in the future? Repos created via cloning in VS's team explorer window seem to always have core.autocrlf=true, which makes sense since it's a Windows product, but then what happens when you're doing edits in vim or whatever in the git bash mingw window? Do LFs sans CRs get reintroduced? Either way, perhaps the better option is to set * text=auto in .gitattributes, do a big Fix Everything commit in master, let Git internalize everything as LF and checkouts can be whatever the developer's system is, and be done with it?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 23, 2018

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Scenario: main dev branch gets a bad merge, wiping out a huge chunk of work. This is not noticed until later in the day, after two feature branches are merged into the dev branch and ??? people merge dev into their feature branches.

How would you fix?

In the heat of the moment my brain shut down and so I checked out the last good commit on dev and cherry-picked the two feature branch merges and the work that had been done as part of the bad merge, then renamed bad branch bad/dev and good branch to the original dev branch name. Then, told everyone to git branch -D dev, git fetch --prune, git checkout dev, and if they'd pulled from dev since the bad merge, to remake their branch and cherry-pick their commits.

I didn't do a revert because the bad merge contained a significant enough amount of work that I figured putting a bit of load on everyone was better than making that one person redo a solid day's worth of work. Could I have reverted the merge, then cherry picked the merged commits to reapply the changes?

God I hate bad merges. I've had to deal with two of these in the last week :cripes:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Revert the merge and redo it correctly.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Stringent posted:

Revert the merge and redo it correctly.

The commits are already in the history, though, so you'd just get an "already up to date"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, but in the future that's how you should handle this, imo.