Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Trauts posted:

So I’m looking to migrate back to the android eco system...just without the Google stuff. What are my best bets for a current or last gen device that’s rootable and has an active development community going for something like one of the privacy oriented ROMs?

And what’s the best way to migrate my stuff from my iPhone without the use of anything cloud oriented?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just buy any china market phone

talk to all your buddies on qq

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

*shifts eyes concerningly* 'so uh, haha, what if i wanted a phone that was hard to uh, haha, access or have backups of? haha jk jk but really, nobody would know i had it? i just want less clouds, or whatever but like from some other TOTALLY NORMAL PERSON who would give me trustable software to do NORMAL PERSON THINGS with'

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The cloud is good

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
https://twitter.com/lockheimer/status/974490305226395648?s=21

android head takes pride in the fact that android requires an active malware scanner that runs daily

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Lockheimer, whose phones are easily unlocked

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Boiled Water posted:

Lockheimer, whose phones are easily unlocked

you do this by facing the screen away from you and squeezing the phone round the middle with both arms.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

No worries they've already considered that

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Management posted:

android head takes pride in the fact that android requires an active malware scanner that runs daily

they've been pushing a press release around that touts android being as secure as ios

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Blue Train posted:

No worries they've already considered that

amazing.

i wonder if anyone considered not putting the fingerprint reader a millimeter under the camera?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

infernal machines posted:

amazing.

i wonder if anyone considered not putting the fingerprint reader a millimeter under the camera?

lol that warning is from the when the fingerprint reader was adjacent to the camera and had exactly the same bezel making them indistinguishable by touch

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

my roommate had that on their work phone. it is super garbage and awkward to use even without worrying about smudging your camera

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

finger your phone for easy access

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

they've been pushing a press release around that touts android being as secure as ios

from what press? north koreas?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Agile Vector posted:

from what press? north koreas?

China today

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Agile Vector posted:

*shifts eyes concerningly* 'so uh, haha, what if i wanted a phone that was hard to uh, haha, access or have backups of? haha jk jk but really, nobody would know i had it? i just want less butts, or whatever but like from some other TOTALLY NORMAL PERSON who would give me trustable software to do NORMAL PERSON THINGS with'
that dude is a floridian drug dealer interested in purchasing firearms for "home defense"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

that dude is a floridian drug dealer interested in purchasing firearms for "home defense"

lmao

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

oh wait i bet $20 hes spooked by the reports that law enforcement have devices that can crack open ios devices.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Can't you just buy a cheap feature phone like they did on The Wire?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Crazy Achmed posted:

just borrow nana’s jitterbug imo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Crazy Achmed posted:

can't get tindr on those

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

quote:

Generally speaking, updates remove bugs, but in the case of Google's 2016 Pixel XL, a new problem was introduced with the Android 8.1 update this January. When charging in certain circumstances, the OG Pixel XL will (dangerously) attempt to pull up to 40% more current than it has negotiated from the charger, repeatedly entering and leaving a charging state as the charger shuts off due to overcurrent protection.

quote:

The bug was initially reported to Google's Issue Tracker back in January, and almost two months on it doesn't seem to have been resolved.
https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/03/17/android-8-1-update-2016-pixel-xl-causes-potentially-dangerous-overcurrent-charging-bug/

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Looks like they’re on it ! they updated it to say a fix is coming in weeks

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*google emerges from your house, stripping off layer after layer of protective gear. google tosses each layer into a screaming incinerator. Five minutes later, after pulling aside the last filter mask, google grins and gives you a thumbs up*

yeah your house is safe today!

See you tomorrow!

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
the funniest thing to me about the android malware scanner is the google play branding

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

*google emerges from your house, stripping off layer after layer of protective gear. google tosses each layer into a screaming incinerator. Five minutes later, after pulling aside the last filter mask, google grins and gives you a thumbs up*

yeah your house is safe today!

See you tomorrow!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Partycat posted:

Looks like they’re on it ! they updated it to say a fix is coming in weeks

you know we make fun of the name but android police have prob. forced google to fix more longstanding bugs than any other single entity

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

I use Asus File explorer. Is quite nice and plays well when plugging usb drives on your phone. I also used zipsigner on an old rear end ES File explorer with no ads and lovely stuff but Asus one works great and is ad free.

i hope my phones file explorer works well with the myriad usb drives im always connecting to my phone

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
drat. i dont know about you goon but i sure do have a lot of files that i need to access and explore on my phone today. my phone being the optimal vehicle for file storage and exploration and whatnot.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

i hope my phones file explorer works well with the myriad usb drives im always connecting to my phone

accessing my offline bitcoin cold storage using free apps I got from the internet and self-signed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

look there's only so much anime and comics you can store on a phone, but this 1 TB drive i got at best buy will let me carry even more with me everywhere i go!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Get ready for the anime phone

quote:

The upcoming Huawei phone appeared on the Chinese regulatory agency TENAA’s website last month. An update to the listing, caught by PhoneRadar, showed that the phone would have 6GB of RAM and a whopping 512GB of storage.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

huawei: yellow peril, but for phones

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

President Beep posted:

drat. i dont know about you goon but i sure do have a lot of files that i need to access and explore on my phone today. my phone being the optimal vehicle for file storage and exploration and whatnot.

if you have a better way to get music than downloading bittorrents off the piratebay on my phone and manually tagging each file I'd like to hear it

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Serious question. For what possible reason would someone want/need to connect a thumb drive to a cell phone?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

go ask in dyp

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Serious question. For what possible reason would someone want/need to connect a thumb drive to a cell phone?

idiot nerd reasons and only that

possibly it’s for the two people who use their anroid phones as desktop replacements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

might be easier for transfering linux isos?