Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Silicon Valley doing fine without tj Miller I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

go play outside Skyler posted:

cool! however, when i was doing some research, i couldn't find any that had full-body skeleton tracking

e: seeing now that the one you linked seems to do it. but you bet your rear end i wasn't going to risk my project on something i hadn't heard of before. we chose the kinect before microsoft announced it'd be discontinued

yeah all my stuff is about looking at things other than people so i don't really do anything with skeleton tracking

at some point i'm gonna get fed up with there not being a sensor that does ~exactly what i need~ and build my own using a DSLR and picoprojector or something

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Glorgnole posted:

yeah all my stuff is about looking at things other than people so i don't really do anything with skeleton tracking

at some point i'm gonna get fed up with there not being a sensor that does ~exactly what i need~ and build my own using a DSLR and picoprojector or something

i was going to recommend this for short-ish range but wow it’s significantly pricier than I remembered http://www.ti.com/tool/dlplcr4500evm

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i heard a bit about this documentary (it's about adderall) and from the bit i heard it sounds like they're lumping everyone with legitimate ADD in with assholes who abuse it as "performance enhancement" which is just great

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
gonna watch that documentary right after my electric unicycle lesson

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

stephen king sold the right to have your name in cell as a background/minor character using an ebay auction (he also totally used cell phones for sure since after the van incident but he liked to complain about them a lot more before smartphones caught on)

and also yeah that web published novella was like one of the first ebook titles to really sell huge - iirc it got half a million sales in the first few weeks which was massive for the time, especially considering you could really only read it on a computer then or maybe like a palm pilot.

otoh he did the plant(?) which was free to read online but you had to chip in to pay him to keep writing it and people didn't so it ended up shelved for quite a while

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

really though how hard is it to program something like:

1) is this blob bigger than a small animal?
2) is this blob moving in a way that will directly impact me if none of us change speed or direction?

thought I was going to do a point 3 but no, that's all there is to it. just fuckin slow the gently caress down progressively when these two conditions are met. I'm sure the lidar saw that woman from a loving 200m away

how can you mess this up?

look, every dead pedestrian will make the cars smarter. for that company at least. i mean, if it takes google 5 tries to teach their cars not to run over toddlers, with all the attendant bad PR that comes with that, then it would be pretty unfair to make them hand that training data over to tesla and uber for free. to make an omelette u gotta break a few eggs

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

syscall girl posted:

otoh he did the plant(?) which was free to read online but you had to chip in to pay him to keep writing it and people didn't so it ended up shelved for quite a while

That sounds amazingly terrible. I don’t want to read a book that hasn’t finished being written! So much wrong with that.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Stephen King is a national treasure

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

He's a Maine treasure, which is kinda like being a Canadian football star

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

i was going to recommend this for short-ish range but wow it’s significantly pricier than I remembered http://www.ti.com/tool/dlplcr4500evm

yeah basically i need something like that

at $1300 it's out of "buy for myself to dick around with" territory and into "convince my employer to buy it for me to dick around with"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Avenging_Mikon posted:

That sounds amazingly terrible. I don’t want to read a book that hasn’t finished being written! So much wrong with that.

lol @ this clown

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

He's Pinball Clemons?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Doug Flutie

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

consider the lobstrosity

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

syscall girl posted:

consider the lobstrosity

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

i enjoyed sf much more once i figured out the electric bus thing. its goofy af infrastructure but holy poo poo they got the TORQUE

bro, go to Vancouver they got hella trolley buses

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
a friend of mine once took one of those “which author are you most like” quizzes and posted the results to facebook on a lark. the two authors were stephen kind and david foster wallace. i made a similar joke about lobsters, and it just sucked the virtual air out of the room.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Chris Knight posted:

bro, go to Vancouver

NO

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

so the uber self driving car engineers have got to be like everyone that waymo and gm and intel and bmw wouldn't hire, right? how did it just run into a big gently caress off pile of meat and metal without even hitting the brakes at all?

also everyone that was willing to jump ship purely for more figgies and drat the ethics of working for Uber versus a company whose core business is not built around flouting regulation

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Chris Knight posted:

bro, go to Vancouver they got hella trolley buses

and they have so much TOUQUE

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eschaton posted:

and they have so much TOUQUE

This would work if not for Vancouver being basically subtropical. Like, any other part of Canada and that joke would sleigh

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

infernal machines posted:

This would work if not for Vancouver being basically subtropical. Like, any other part of Canada and that joke would sleigh

subtropical america on the second day of spring this year:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you just can't turn it off can you? not even for a joke

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Krankenstyle posted:

no. trade secrets.

surely a government would require the right to analyze the software as a precondition for granting the license for automated driving. amirite guys?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

infernal machines posted:

you just can't turn it off can you? not even for a joke

so you're too dumb to get that the freak snowstorm that just happened was being used for a joke. got it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:allears:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

syscall girl posted:

consider the lobstrosity

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

really though how hard is it to program something like:

1) is this blob bigger than a small animal?
2) is this blob moving in a way that will directly impact me if none of us change speed or direction?

thought I was going to do a point 3 but no, that's all there is to it. just fuckin slow the gently caress down progressively when these two conditions are met. I'm sure the lidar saw that woman from a loving 200m away

how can you mess this up?

they probably turned the sensitivity on both 1 and 2 way down so the car wouldn't brake for a plastic bag blowing in the wind or something like that

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the lobstrocity is fine compared to goodkind's evil chicken, like, that's just the genre. it's all bad

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

a friend of mine once took one of those “which author are you most like” quizzes and posted the results to facebook on a lark.

:eyepop:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bhodi posted:

the lobstrocity is fine compared to goodkind's evil chicken, like, that's just the genre. it's all bad

lol this is the portrait goodkind insists on using in his cover flap author bio:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the guy's a mega mra creep and it shows

he got disinvited from a bunch of cons and is in the process of being blackballed from the industry because he's a terrible person with terrible opinions he simply must tell the world about

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lmao good job zink

https://mobile.twitter.com/DamianCollins/status/976096529348952065

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
wasn't steven king the guy that put an underage orgy in it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Suspicious Dish posted:

wasn't steven king the guy that put an underage orgy in it

i read an analysis of The Legendary Chapter that really cast a softer edge on it and explored some of the deeper symbolism, and absent any further evidence that king isnt a creeplord, i choose to interpret it that way

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Seattle has them too if you're not up for interacting with ICE

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Munkeymon posted:

Seattle has them too if you're not up for interacting with ICE

Normally, i'd laugh at you and say "gently caress you i'm in Denver forever", but you happen to pull this poo poo while I'm in a transitional period so I don't wanna say no, I wanna come visit. But I can't visit there, because I know i'd move there right away.. Besides, I've already been through too much poo poo this morning over this city to move away from this dumb poo poo.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
heres what happened

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got stoned wrong thred

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 23, 2018