Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I really miss the times before my brotherly pals at MBMBaM decided to make a dungeons and dragons podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ariong posted:

I haven’t listened to the latest Dust (thanks for the spoilers btw) but I’m curious what exactly you’re looking for in this. What I’m looking for is a story created by four people woth one bringing the setting and the others instigating the action. Dust was great for that, because every event was a direct result of something the players decided to do.

With Amnesty, I don’t think the players’ actions had any effect on the story. That is, I think things would have played out the same way no matter what Justin, Travis, or Clint decided to do. In contrast to Balance, Commitment, and Dust, I can’t think of a single opportunity they had to alter the course of the story. The way I see it, that makes it one fourth as interesting at best.

EDIT: Let me make it clear that I’m not trying to debate you into a different opinion or say yours is wrong or anything. It’s just that I can’t think of anything that Amnesty did best out of all three mini-arcs, but if it is your favorite so far then you can. What is it? Combat?

It's everything. There is literally not one element that I don't think Amnesty didn't crush Dust in, and certainly Commitment. It had my favorite party, it had the most interesting fights (compare the finale of Amnesty to the finale of Dust or Commitment and it is quite obvious who is used to designing encounters and who isn't), and it had the best jokes. And that's what I want: a good story, with neat characters/setting with goofs and cool fights for color. Yes, it took quite awhile for the party to meet up... but as a result of that we actually got character development from all of them and it all came together in what felt like a more organic fashion. And if they continued Amnesty, that problem wouldn't exist since they're, ya know, a party now.

Like yeah, okay, Dust was more freeform, but few of the freeform events were actually very interesting, so why does that matter?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i liked the characters the most in dust but thought the final fight suffered from the same mechanical problems as griffin's game did, in the sense that the players' actions in combat don't feel like they have real consequences

also, i apparently really like having a turn order.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Deeters posted:

I also felt like Dust had a few more jokes than Amnesty.

What's everyone's guess at the special announcement next week? Mine is that Justin isn't going to do an arc.

Well Dust had the characters actually interacting with each other.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Rodyle posted:

It's everything. There is literally not one element that I don't think Amnesty didn't crush Dust in, and certainly Commitment. It had my favorite party, it had the most interesting fights (compare the finale of Amnesty to the finale of Dust or Commitment and it is quite obvious who is used to designing encounters and who isn't), and it had the best jokes. And that's what I want: a good story, with neat characters/setting with goofs and cool fights for color. Yes, it took quite awhile for the party to meet up... but as a result of that we actually got character development from all of them and it all came together in what felt like a more organic fashion. And if they continued Amnesty, that problem wouldn't exist since they're, ya know, a party now.

Like yeah, okay, Dust was more freeform, but few of the freeform events were actually very interesting, so why does that matter?

See, I don’t remember ANY goofs from Amnesty. At all! I’m also not so sure about character development. Maybe I l’m not very good at reading between the lines, but I never really got a sense of who Ned was, for example. That was the main reason why the characters not being together for a long time bothered me. Each one-on-one segment robs on-screen time from the other two.

The combat was more interesting though. I might be okay with Amnesty getting picked up if Griffin gives the others some more freedom, and I think he would. In any case, I have a feeling that whatever Justin brings to the table is going to blow everything else out of the water. Current rankings:

-Dust
-Commitment (I think I liked this one more than most.)
-Amnesty

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
The ending was a bit of a mess but I really hope they pick Dust to continue with. I think the smaller scale of weird poo poo happening in a frontier town is vastly preferable to yet another secret society saving the world, and there's a lot that's been hinted at but not seen directly so far. It's got a lot of potential and I've got faith that Travis can grow into a strong storyteller.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I just finished Dust, it is by far my favorite mini-arc. I loved the mystery (who solved it before the players did? Because I sure didn't), loved the setting, and I loved the characters. The more serious setting didn't hamper the jokes (ghost cashews), and also allowed for some great speeches (all those years in community theater are really paying off). REEAAAAALLY hope they pick this one.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The final boss did feel abrupt but I think two things happened: 1) the boys found the clues and figured it out maybe 1 episode faster than Travis planned and 2) Griffin released the other fur maybe wasn't something Travis thought would happen so fast either

It is also easy to forget that these arcs are also just first chapters in perhaps larger stories. The boss in Dust wasn't the big-bad of the series. He was a "Magic Brian". Easily knocked of the ledge to finish chapter one.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I can forgive Dusts flaws cause Travis hasn't done this as much, Amnestys biggest problem is that Griffin should know better than to make the errors he did

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Haven't been able to listen to the Dust finale yet but I say it needs to continue so Errol can suplex the Banshee through the Spanish announcer's table

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Okay just finished the Dust finale and I gotta say, I don’t mind the way the final encounter went down at all! That wasn’t Travis pulling a deus ex machina out of nowhere, it was Griffin making creative use of the environment.

The only complaint I have is that the NPC dialogue could stand to be trimmed a bit; I found myself kinda going “okay, we get it...” while Connors was explaining his motivation. Also I didn’t get much out of the Blackwells finding out about Jeremiah, but that mainly comes down to the fact that we never got around to meeting them before.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Was I the only one that burst out laughing when Connors said "I thought you'd be here tomorrow"?

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
if dust didn't hook me in episode 1, is it not for me or is it another commitment where it was weird at the start, but the last chunk of the story takes a hard turn and gets real good?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Rodyle posted:

Yes what a thrilling role playing game it was too, especially the part where they did nearly nothing interesting for 3 episodes straight and the 4th episode had an NPC finish off the boss.

There were some bright spots like Gandy gambling and everything Augustus did but mostly it was pretty dire.

:chloe:

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I was happy with the final confrontation. Dust is definitely my favourite thing TAZ has done in a long time. If you gave me the elevator pitch for each one I would have said that the crypto one was more my jam, but having listened to them all I'm definitely down for dust.

Looking forward to Three Sherlocks and a Baby.

Tears In A Vial fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 23, 2018

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Tears In A Vial posted:

I was happy with the final confrontation. Dust is definitely my favourite thing TAZ has done in a long time. If you gave me the elevator pitch for each one I would have said that the crypto one was more my jam, but having listened to them all I'm definitely down for dust.

Looking forward to Three Sherlocks and a Baby.

And the baby is also a Moriarty

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Keeping the party seperated for more than one episode was a really really big mistake IMHO

keeping them separated basically the whole time even more so. i honestly can't recall any of them talking to someone who wasn't griffin, or themself in justin's case.

like i know they did, but what little they did was just not particularly memorable.

You
Oct 6, 2009
I'm having trouble seeing how Dust would play out as a full season. If the setting would be kept and the gang would be going through wacky hijinks in the spooky old west, it might be entertaining since the characters seems to be the most fleshed out of the mini arcs. If the concept of the mini arc is kept and they only solve murder mysteries for a whole season I'm afraid that it might get a bit stale.

As I see it, both Commitment and Amnesty has worlds that fits more for fleshing out different types of encounters. On the other hand, I have no understanding of the systems they use, so it could be possible that Dust has just scraped the surface of what it could be, but whatever happens I'm excited for a full length campaign with McElroy goofs no matter which story they go with.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Run Ammesty but give the GM role to Travis, problem solved

no not really

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Chiming in to say that Balance started off with "Here there be Gerblins", which was nearly inconsequential to the future of that arc. I wouldn't worry about how the story would continue.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

You posted:

I'm having trouble seeing how Dust would play out as a full season. If the setting would be kept and the gang would be going through wacky hijinks in the spooky old west, it might be entertaining since the characters seems to be the most fleshed out of the mini arcs. If the concept of the mini arc is kept and they only solve murder mysteries for a whole season I'm afraid that it might get a bit stale.

As I see it, both Commitment and Amnesty has worlds that fits more for fleshing out different types of encounters. On the other hand, I have no understanding of the systems they use, so it could be possible that Dust has just scraped the surface of what it could be, but whatever happens I'm excited for a full length campaign with McElroy goofs no matter which story they go with.

Yeah how could three mercenaries killing the sheriff possibly lead to dramatic stories? Truly, not even the most skilled writer could wring drama from this.

If only there were some external factors like powerful families, a crime syndicate, supernatural villains, a politician with a motive, SOMETHING that could reasonably propel the plot. Unfortunately our heroes' alibis are airtight and the story can never continue.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i reckon the best decision would be to leave these characters aside and move the game into the city mentioned at the end, which is more proper territory for an urban shadows game

i think dust was the best of the arcs and travis seems to have a real good grasp of how to run the game. the only time i think he noticeably messed up was in the last session when he called for a roll from the PCs before they had described their actions. generally you're supposed to let the rolls flow from the fiction but coming from a D&D background you can still slip up. didn't impact the fun of the session, though, which is really all that matters

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Serf posted:

i reckon the best decision would be to leave these characters aside and move the game into the city mentioned at the end, which is more proper territory for an urban shadows game

i think dust was the best of the arcs and travis seems to have a real good grasp of how to run the game. the only time i think he noticeably messed up was in the last session when he called for a roll from the PCs before they had described their actions. generally you're supposed to let the rolls flow from the fiction but coming from a D&D background you can still slip up. didn't impact the fun of the session, though, which is really all that matters

I feel like it was the guys doing it before he could stop them in most instances, rather than him asking for a roll before asking for a description. I don't really blame him if it's the former, because we run into that problem with our D&D sessions ourselves, and we have to keep reminding ourselves that it's technically supposed to go describe then roll.

If it's Travis asking for it, that's a bit different, but I can kind of forgive it for him being a first-time GM in a new system.

I really, really liked Dust, and I honestly hope they stick with it. I get what Rodyle is saying about Amnesty, because it's certainly something that could have some potential, because the story and setting are decently interesting, but I feel like Dust was stronger in basically every way in what I'm looking for. The distinction I think I'd make is that I think Amnesty would be a pretty decent monthly, semi-improvised radio play, where they all meet up before and collaborate on the story in full, and then just read what they wrote. Dust showed its strength better as an actual role playing game, though, and I would prefer they go with that. Commitment's somewhere in the middle, where I liked Clint as a GM, but just didn't care much for his setting or at all for any of the boys' characters.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Still haven't listened to the finale and there is definitely stuff to like about Dust, but I just find the setting, story, and NPCs to be boring and rote. If they choose this as the arc I hope Travis leaves behind his desire to keep it grounded and gritty - that approach makes for kind of dull listening imo. I wouldn't be mad if Amnesty was the choice though.

The ideal setup would be to have an experienced fifth person GM so that the four of them could play together.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I've been listening to Not Another D&D Podcast recently. One of the hosts is Caldwell from Drawfee (the YouTube series on which Griffin and Justin designed a board game that one time), who I was already familiar with, and its only like eight episodes deep, so there wasn't all this lore to catch up with. It's a pretty​ standard dnd setup (I guess, I've never played), and it's scratching an itch that TAZ no longer does. The hosts need to calm down a little, but it's a new show so I guess they'll find their groove.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

TAZ is not scratching the itch right now, but I have faith that once they get going it will be good again. These mini-arcs with their starts and stops are kind of hard listening almost by design because they serve the many purposes of the boys learning a new game, a new setting, creating new characters with backstories and motivations, and somewhere in there making goofs and being funny all in the span of four episodes - and then starting over again. Being free wheeling and funny has definitely taken a back seat to the other purposes, but I think this is temporary.

E: If I had to second guess them, I'd say they were overthinking things by doing these mini-arcs. Balance grew organically out of what was initially a lark, and there's no reason they couldn't have spun gold out of whatever game they decided to play next. The magic isn't in the game - it was inside the McElroys all along...

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 23, 2018

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Colonel Whitey posted:

E: If I had to second guess them, I'd say they were overthinking things by doing these mini-arcs. Balance grew organically out of what was initially a lark, and there's no reason they couldn't have spun gold out of whatever game they decided to play next. The magic isn't in the game - it was inside the McElroys all along...

I think it was less about testing new systems and more about testing how the others felt about running a game without having to commit to an entire series for it. Like, not just saying "Travis is going to GM this next one!", but saying "Hey, here's what it'd be like if Travis GM'd, let's see how he and you feel about it!"

Also, if you're looking for more goof-centric D&D with people who still don't seem to have learned the game, check out Dragon Friends which has been recommended in this thread before. I'm a recent convert, but it's really scratching my TAZ itch.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You posted:

This adventure absolutely set up the potential for a full season. It ends with the gang killing the sheriff and becoming the law in a lawless town with lots of scoundrels and feuding factions in it, there’s a thousand stories to tell besides random murder mysteries (which are also fun).

Also dragon friends owns. First season audio quality is a bit of a trial but it’s worth powering through. It starts as the players tormenting the DM, but gradually evolves into the player and the DM hanging up on one particular player who tries a little too hard to be contrarian, which is satisfying to watch

But like, in a way where everyone’s having fun

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

SpacePig posted:

I think it was less about testing new systems and more about testing how the others felt about running a game without having to commit to an entire series for it. Like, not just saying "Travis is going to GM this next one!", but saying "Hey, here's what it'd be like if Travis GM'd, let's see how he and you feel about it!"

That's kind of what I mean by overthinking things though? Travis already knew what it was like to GM and Justin probably isn't going to do the long arc, so that just leaves Clint really. He could have done a few private sessions with them to get a feel for it. And they should know better than to preemptively ask the audience what they think about creative decisions (though it is very kind of them to listen to their audience on other things). It feels like they just didn't trust themselves to start a new arc and are doing way more work than they need to. They'll be back to form once they settle on something and get into a groove is all I'm really saying here.

e: I say 'really' too much

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 23, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Love Dragon Friends. Dave's pretty good about allowing the players to gently caress themselves and the story up without letting the entire thing go too far off the rails. But I'm sure he has a lot more experience DMing than any of the McElroys. Probably helps that he doesn't have to voice NPCs.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i want dust to continue mainly so griffin can become fantasy america's first werewolf president and give dogs the right to vote

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Sivart13 posted:

I really miss the times before my brotherly pals at MBMBaM decided to make a dungeons and dragons podcast.
Same tbh. I was doing a run of their first 20 recently and it made me nostalgic for their pre/early max fun phase.
Listening to the ads on the newest mbmbam though, it's good to see max fun hasn't changed their policy of hiring people from the Insufferable Podcaster Voice Factory (located in Los Angeles).

I still like polygon ish but I guess the mcelroys are busy cuz they push a lot of non McElroy content I could care less about. Simone, Brian, etc. are fun and nice in a group setting with plenty of McElroys but lol at expecting me to watch them if Griffin ain't around at leaaaaast. Still, poo poo like LA Noir VR makes it all worth it.
They also convinced me to start playing Into the Breach tho so they're basically war criminals.

I notice this with a lot of channels tho, im not subscribed to Polygon and Super Deluxe for similar reasons. They insist on putting out a deluge of other content when I'm mostly there for the meat (fun super deluxe edits and the mcelroys), which fair enough do what U gotta do...but I am not down for having to click Hide like 40 times a week.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 23, 2018

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

um excuse me posted:

Chiming in to say that Balance started off with "Here there be Gerblins", which was nearly inconsequential to the future of that arc. I wouldn't worry about how the story would continue.

Yeah I came here to say this. This podcast started with both Clint and Justin playing stock characters and Griffin literally DMing out of a book, and it was the interaction between the boys and the goofs that really side-tracked it into something amazing. They would do well to do everything they can to let that happen again instead of overthinking it and trying to recreate the magic by force.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
See, I'm on the other end. I could watch Simone and Pat goof around about anything, and I have the good ol' McElroys to thank for that.

Really enjoyed Dust, but I guess I owe it to myself to listen to the other mini arcs as well.

You
Oct 6, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah how could three mercenaries killing the sheriff possibly lead to dramatic stories? Truly, not even the most skilled writer could wring drama from this.

If only there were some external factors like powerful families, a crime syndicate, supernatural villains, a politician with a motive, SOMETHING that could reas onably propel the plot. Unfortunately our heroes' alibis are airtight and the story can never continue.
It's not the setting or the plot I'm having trouble with. I'm just feeling that Dust is the worst mini arc for casual listening, due to its note taking nature. It sure would be fun to play that game, but the other arcs were much easier to follow. Could be my listening habits due to doing other stuff while listening, but I felt more lost during this.

So what I'm saying is not that it's boring or uninteresting, what I am saying is that if the mini arcs are supposed to be representative of the games they would play for a season it could potentially be a more demanding experience compared to monster/super villain of the week. To each their own I guess :shrug:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I listen to podcasts in the background so even for the more casual ones, I miss a lot of little details; so for dust, I actually liked that the format forced the gang to start each episode with “let’s review our notes” because it helped me keep up, compared to the ones where they just assume the listener is remembering everything as well as the players are

This is another point in favor of dragon friends, where the players themselves often forget what’s happening, so it’s all very relatable

You
Oct 6, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I listen to podcasts in the background so even for the more casual ones, I miss a lot of little details; so for dust, I actually liked that the format forced the gang to start each episode with “let’s review our notes” because it helped me keep up, compared to the ones where they just assume the listener is remembering everything as well as the players are

This is another point in favor of dragon friends, where the players themselves often forget what’s happening, so it’s all very relatable

That's a really good point, actually. The story recap in the beginning was a really good move.

I really like the Dragon Friends to. It's an entirely different beast, but as you say part of the charm is probably that the players don't remember poo poo quite frequently. That and trying to screw over Freezo and/or being screwed over by Freezo each episode.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

1000% agree with the story recap. I listen while I'm out and about and it's easy to miss something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Overall I liked Dust the best and Travis was a surprisingly good GM. I would really like it if he ended up being the GM going forward.

The one thing that irked me was that Travis kind of strong-armed the story. I may be mis-remembering, but the solution to the mystery was forced by Errol's interaction with the Banshee that ended in her essentially giving them the answer in a neat little package and I don't feel like there was any character choice involved in earning it. To be fair Griffin claimed he had a hunch before that whole interaction, and Travis had to have some way of moving the story forward to keep the length of the arc manageable, but the way that it happened seemed a little too easy. Like what would have happened if they'd gone to the Banshee immediately after the casino, or Errol had just gone with the two amicable goons? Would they have wrapped the arc up by the end of episode 3?

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 23, 2018