Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Also as an Australian renter its really not sustainable at all. There exists now really a lof of anger between the baby boomers and millennials. Also the renting conditions in aus are pretty poo poo, max 1 year leases and no pets and so on. Basically every millennial is waiting/hoping for a market crash as prices at the moment excluded huge swathes of the millennial generation of ever owning a property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A huge housing bubble is what you Australians get for having 27 years without a recession.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doesn't help the government's basically been bending over backwards for boomer landlords and treating them as put-upon 'battlers' with weird tax laws encouraging sitting on property forever, but even they can't put off a housing crash forever when nobody can afford to buy all the houses at the prices they want.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Switchback posted:

How much do I wish Australia was on that graph! I want to move there but as someone in here said, the entire economy seems like a bubble. I was asking someone what their rent was, and they said “oh I pay $800 for a room. A flat like that (points to an apartment one block from Bondi Beach) is probably $1200.” I’m thinking, wow that’s so reasonable!! I could afford that!

Then I learned people in Australia pay rent WEEKLY. In Sydney, average weekly income is $1014 and average weekly rent is $911 (according to a random website, these might not be very accurate). How is that sustainable for anybody?!
If you talk to someone from Sydney or Melb who live in the CBD of a city... sure. But my friend has a great 2 bedroom apartment in Melbourne and he pays 400/week. We pay fortnightly (every 2 weeks), but quote prices weekly.

I live 50 minutes outside Brisbane in a 4 bedroom house, huge yard and I pay $360/week.

FYI you don;t have to live in the CBD to enjoy life. Overall really dumb post

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

My in-laws live in a suburb pretty far north of Sydney, they and their friends don’t need 4+ bedroom houses anymore, but there is no supply of modest retirement homes to go to. So they stay. Seems like it’s a pretty systematic problem for young people trying to make a life working in Sydney.

I’m trying to move to Brisbane so glad to hear it’s good for you.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Suspicious Lump posted:

If you talk to someone from Sydney or Melb who live in the CBD of a city... sure. But my friend has a great 2 bedroom apartment in Melbourne and he pays 400/week. We pay fortnightly (every 2 weeks), but quote prices weekly.

I live 50 minutes outside Brisbane in a 4 bedroom house, huge yard and I pay $360/week.

food $200
data $150
weekly rent $1000
utility $150

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

don't live right in the middle of a popular city

no

edit: not applicable to some places like the Bay Area where it's expensive everywhere

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Problem is there's gently caress all employment outside said popular cities.

Have the problem explained in an extremely Australian fashion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL7M5RIXjY8

(basically, boomers bitching about kids on welfare while enjoying much better welfare)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Krispy Wafer posted:

A huge housing bubble is what you Australians get for having 27 years without a recession.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not but yeah that is probably true. Way overdue for a correction. I think if China's growth hadn't provided a market for their natural resources the 2008 recession would have done it. With things slowing in China, Australia is one commodity market crash away from Mad Max: Beyond the Thunderdome.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not but yeah that is probably true. Way overdue for a correction. I think if China's growth hadn't provided a market for their natural resources the 2008 recession would have done it. With things slowing in China, Australia is one commodity market crash away from Mad Max: Beyond the Thunderdome.

When it finally happens someone had better say, "That's not a recession" pulls out a large chart will a huge red arrow stabbing down, "that's a recession."

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Krispy Wafer posted:

When it finally happens someone had better say, "That's not a recession" pulls out a large chart will a huge red arrow stabbing down, "that's a recession."

:five:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

therobit posted:

As far as I'm concerned this is now the backstory to Mad Max and the rest of the world is just pointing and laughing.

Well, not post-Trump America.

Or post-brexit Britain.

Or anyone directly affected by post-Trump America.

Or... OK China and Russia are probably fine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

China was here before the rest of us and will be here after the rest of us are gone.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Splicer posted:

As far as I'm concerned this is now the backstory to Mad Max and the rest of the world is just pointing and laughing.

Well, not post-Trump America.

Or post-brexit Britain.

Or anyone directly affected by post-Trump America.

Or... OK China and Russia are probably fine.

:black101: "There has been too much violence. Too much pain. But I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Give me your 2 bedroom condo, the parking space, the swimming pool, multipurpose room and the whole compound, and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away and we'll give you a safe passageway in Melbourne. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror"

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Suspicious Lump posted:

This.

Midjack posted:

China was here before the rest of us and will be here after the rest of us are gone.

5000 years of culture, do you know?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
If you can't afford a decent house, what's wrong with living with your boomer parents until they die and leave you the house? Sure you may not be an attractive partner, but if you can't afford a house, you can't afford a spouse.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Crazy Mike posted:

If you can't afford a decent house, what's wrong with living with your boomer parents until they die and leave you the house? Sure you may not be an attractive partner, but if you can't afford a house, you can't afford a spouse.

They have three mortgages out on the house so when they die the bank takes it and if you’re lucky they have enough life insurance to just cover their funeral.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

SquirrelFace posted:

They have three mortgages out on the house so when they die the bank takes it and if you’re lucky they have enough life insurance to just cover their funeral.

GWM: House has a crawl space to stash the body in.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Crazy Mike posted:

True boomers have that house home equitied at 120% of market price.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Midjack posted:

chinese polity was created late 1949
if you get to count poo poo that happened before the chinese polity, americans get to count dead europeans

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

therobit posted:

Our biggest problem is that all we do is dig commodities out of the ground and then immediately ship them overseas. No secondary industry, so when commodity prices fall, everyone's hosed. But we're too lazy to bother developing value-added services.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Plus, if you're American your parents probably died with an insane amount of medical debt, wiping out any inheritance.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Konstantin posted:

Plus, if you're American your parents probably died with an insane amount of medical debt, wiping out any inheritance.

As long as they make it to Medicare eligibility you're A-OK.

Also don't get put into a home.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Weatherman posted:

But we're too lazy to bother developing value-added services.

What would being less lazy about this look like?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

The pyramid of VB cans in every Australian lounge would disappear.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3338916/Social-media-uses-present-alternative-Australian-Christmas-trees.html

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bob dobbs is dead posted:

chinese polity was created late 1949
if you get to count poo poo that happened before the chinese polity, americans get to count dead europeans
As a European, you lost that right when you left :smug:

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Konstantin posted:

Everyone keeps saying when boomers die it’ll be the biggest transfer of wealth, but those fuckers will cling to every second of life they have in nursing homes for years and years and the government will suck all that inheritance up gladly to pay the bills.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't know. Boomers were born on third, stayed on third most of their life, and will argue their way down to a single before they're finally called out on strikes.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

As long as they make it to Medicare eligibility you're A-OK.

Also don't get put into a home.

Also, make sure they get supplemental Medigap insurance, because "original" Medicare has no out-of-pocket maximum and end-of-life poo poo can bankrupt you from co-insurance alone.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Subjunctive posted:

Government policy that encourages the building of such industries would be a good start. But they're coasting on the commodity exports and our national attitude of "she'll be right mate" precludes any kind of foresight coupled with action. Things are good now so they'll always be good! *commodity prices fall, recession happens* SAVE US CENTRELINK JESUS!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Weatherman posted:

Government policy that encourages the building of such industries would be a good start. But they're coasting on the commodity exports and our national attitude of "she'll be right mate" precludes any kind of foresight coupled with action. Things are good now so they'll always be good! *commodity prices fall, recession happens* SAVE US CENTRELINK JESUS!
Sounds like what's happened to a lot of American towns in the rust belt/resource gathering rural areas.

"Our local economy relies on one thing! Oh no, suddenly it's tanking and our town is dying! Clearly we need to yell at the government to revive that thing instead of diversifying our industries!"

It hasn't worked out very well for them.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Haifisch posted:

Sounds like what's happened to a lot of American towns in the rust belt/resource gathering rural areas.

"Our local economy relies on one thing! Oh no, suddenly it's tanking and our town is dying! Clearly we need to yell at the government to revive that thing instead of diversifying our industries!"

So you're saying Trump will be the next Prime Minister of Australia

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

balancedbias posted:

So you're saying Trump will be the next Prime Minister of Australia
If this is true I hope he also gets lost in the ocean after going for a swim. That was Australia, wasn't it?

Edit: It was.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Hi frends. Cross post from the Zaurg thread

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

Problem is there's gently caress all employment outside said popular cities.

Have the problem explained in an extremely Australian fashion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL7M5RIXjY8

(basically, boomers bitching about kids on welfare while enjoying much better welfare)
Lovely straw man argument. There are several things you're slapping together and calling it one problem, they're all interlinked: Buying a house, renting a house and working.

Buying a house in a reasonable area is impossible in Melbourne, Sydney and even Brisbane/Perth, totally agree (the latter it depends on the area). Again I rent a house 50 minutes outside Brisbane and our neighbour is selling his for~$350k. That's reasonable IMO.

Renting close to where you work is still reasonable and not insane. No one mentioned working and living inside major cities.

I disagree about finding employment outside popular cities. "Unpopular" cities are constantly trying to attract state immigrants, an example is Darwin, of course it depends on your job and profession.

I agree about negative gearing but Australia's (and maybe the rest of the developed world) obsession with owning property that is both an investment property AND meets your families needs AND is close to work AND in the perfect city is loving dumb and people need to get over it. Rent/work where you want to live, buy where you think will be a good investment and put money into the shares market.

I fundamentally disagree with housing as an investment vehicle. It is a human right and we need to stop commoditising it and encouraging it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Suspicious Lump posted:

Rent/work where you want to live, buy where you think will be a good investment and put money into the shares market.

I fundamentally disagree with housing as an investment vehicle. It is a human right and we need to stop commoditising it and encouraging it.

:crossarms:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Just because I disagree with the system and the current environment doesn't mean I won't provide advice that I think is appropriate. I'm skipping the buying as investment for my own reasons, which could be wrong. People can disagree and do their own thing but aiming to live, work and buy in the hottest suburbs is just dumb.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I exercise my human right to poo poo on other humans.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Weatherman posted:

Government policy that encourages the building of such industries would be a good start.

And you think the limit on that is laziness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

The thing is, those towns LOVE it when it's going well. I really doubt many people in Flint, Michigan were going, "uhh..guys" in the 60's and 70's. I guess having one big industry gives a community a sense of identity and purpose. Kids grow up thinking they'll be just like dad and work in the steel mills. If you work in that industry, you kind of feel like the big man on campus when dealing with all the businesses that rely on yours for support.

It gets even worse when it goes from micro (towns) to macro (countries). You end up with stuff like Dutch disease where the country's super profitable main export crowds out every other industry. I guess Australian is better diversified than most in that regard.

potatoducks posted:

I exercise my human right to poo poo on other humans.

No one's going to kink shame here.