Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ooh I like that junco shot a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I recently bought a Sony A7R3, after helping my father do research on it and realizing what i was missing out on by using a DSLR. I had previously discounted mirrorless cameras as not being fully developed yet and never really looked into them much.

Boy oh boy it is so much fun to use, lots of nice features due to Sony really pushing the specs (that aren't necessarily due to it being mirrorless) as well as bunch of "mirrorless only" features which are so convenient. EYE-AF is absolutely amazing. It works well with most of my canon lenses (Sigma MC-11 adapter) except my 300 F2.8...

I went birding yesterday, after more or less having decided to keep the camera (and sell my 5D4) and decided to photograph some birds to sort of confirm that that too wouldn't be a problem but instead i was met with an hour of autofocus hunting; as in not landing autofocus at all. Only the centre few AF spots would be able to land AF, (and incredibly snappy at that, surprisingly) but as soon as i moved the AF spot a little outside of the centre the lens would keep hunting in and out and never landing focus. This was with the 300 F2.8 IS II, both with and without teleconverters.

Now i have no idea what to do. I have really fallen in love with the camera, to the point that i was seriously considering selling all my Canon stuff and going for Sony, however Sony has no good super tele options, the closest being a 100-400 F5.6..
I don't do birds/wildlife often but not being able to do it at all is going to suck. The 300 is my favorite lens. It is my only real option for birds but it is also a spectacular outdoor portrait lens. Out of my top 10 favorite photos the 300 has take 8 of them (none of which are birds)

I know there is a Sony A-mount 300, but changing all my gear out and still have to use an adapter is a hard sell.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Ineptitude posted:

I recently bought a Sony A7R3, after helping my father do research on it and realizing what i was missing out on by using a DSLR. I had previously discounted mirrorless cameras as not being fully developed yet and never really looked into them much.

Boy oh boy it is so much fun to use, lots of nice features due to Sony really pushing the specs (that aren't necessarily due to it being mirrorless) as well as bunch of "mirrorless only" features which are so convenient. EYE-AF is absolutely amazing. It works well with most of my canon lenses (Sigma MC-11 adapter) except my 300 F2.8...

I went birding yesterday, after more or less having decided to keep the camera (and sell my 5D4) and decided to photograph some birds to sort of confirm that that too wouldn't be a problem but instead i was met with an hour of autofocus hunting; as in not landing autofocus at all. Only the centre few AF spots would be able to land AF, (and incredibly snappy at that, surprisingly) but as soon as i moved the AF spot a little outside of the centre the lens would keep hunting in and out and never landing focus. This was with the 300 F2.8 IS II, both with and without teleconverters.

Now i have no idea what to do. I have really fallen in love with the camera, to the point that i was seriously considering selling all my Canon stuff and going for Sony, however Sony has no good super tele options, the closest being a 100-400 F5.6..
I don't do birds/wildlife often but not being able to do it at all is going to suck. The 300 is my favorite lens. It is my only real option for birds but it is also a spectacular outdoor portrait lens. Out of my top 10 favorite photos the 300 has take 8 of them (none of which are birds)

I know there is a Sony A-mount 300, but changing all my gear out and still have to use an adapter is a hard sell.
I'm really glad you posted this because I was actually considering a jump to Sony as well (a9 most likely). Strangely enough, I could not find any videos showing a Sony working with a Canon telephoto. There's a few videos on adaptor performance when using different Canon lenses, but nothing over 70mm that I could find. Say what you want about Canon, but their super-telephotos are flawless and Sony has nothing at all to compare against them. I'm not really someone who has to have the newest and greatest all the time, but the 1DX I'm currently shooting with is going to need a replacement soon and the features Sony are offering are currently putting Canon to shame.

If it's not going to work with my super-telephotos then forget it though. In your case, since you use the 300 for outdoor portraits more than wildlife you might be able to get away using the lens with the adaptor, couldn't you? Do you see any image problems with the adaptor? I know in some reviews the image edge was garbage with certain adaptors.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
There is an E-Mount 500/4 in the works but expect you sell a kidney...

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Pablo Bluth posted:

expect you sell a kidney...
Thankfully I have a spare.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

InternetJunky posted:

Thankfully I have a spare.

Sometimes I think about selling plasma as a way to fund my hobby.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Rufous-crowned Sparrow-4663 on Flickr

crummy pic but it this guy looks ridiculous
Wildcat Rufous-crowned Sparrow head-on-4635 on Flickr

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

InternetJunky posted:

I'm really glad you posted this because I was actually considering a jump to Sony as well (a9 most likely).

That is certainly a powerful camera. However, both the A7III and the A7RIII are also worthy replacements for the 1DX as well as being a lot cheaper than the A9. They have nearly the same amount of shots per second (10) than the 1DX, higher megapixels and a LOT more autofocus points (as well as having AF points covering the entire frame)

I see a lot of recent videos stating that the A7III has "the same autofocus system as the A9" (e.g. ~700 AF points, compared to the A7RIII's ~400) but i cannot find any information whether or not the actual autofocusing is any faster on the A9 vs the A7III or on the A7III vs the A7RIII. I am assuming the A9 focuses faster since it is a "sports camera" but would love to see some info on this. In the Canon world, the 1DX-series has a lot snappier AF than the 5D-series due to having more voltage to drive the big super-telephoto lenses.

The biggest difference/uniqueness with the A9 is that it does not have rolling shutter if you use the electronic shutter, so for a dedicated birder (particularly bird in flight, where rolling shutter mostly applies) that do not want to disturb the wildlife the A9 is probably the go-to camera. I was surprised how loud the mechanical shutter on my A7RIII actually is, its not that different from my 5DIV.

If you need the shots per second you currently have i'd go for the A9, otherwise i'd go for the A7RIII with its massive 42 megapixels and no AA-filter. (The A9 does not have an AA-filter either)

InternetJunky posted:

Strangely enough, I could not find any videos showing a Sony working with a Canon telephoto.
There's a few videos on adaptor performance when using different Canon lenses, but nothing over 70mm that I could find.
There is a video of a portrait photographer using the Canon 200 F2.0 on the A7R3 and i have also seen him use the 300 F2.8 (but cannot find that video again now)
The metabones adapters were the only adapters worth mentioning up until recently, but now the Sigma MC-11 adapter is the one to go for, particularly since it gives you EYE-AF and it costs less than half of the metabones.

InternetJunky posted:

Say what you want about Canon, but their super-telephotos are flawless and Sony has nothing at all to compare against them.

Indeed; there is a reason 80% of professional photographers in like the olympics and such are using great whites.
A huge red flag for me currently is that Sony tele/super-telephotos use focus by wire, which by design ends up focusing slower than the CaNikSigma designs (i don't know a lot about this, i just saw it in a Canon fanboy post on the canonrumors forum, accompanied by a row of rolling eye smileys) ":rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:"

InternetJunky posted:

I'm not really someone who has to have the newest and greatest all the time, but the 1DX I'm currently shooting with is going to need a replacement soon and the features Sony are offering are currently putting Canon to shame.

So much this! Canon specs are literally years behind at this stage and they continue to hold back features on their cameras. If you dare mentioning that Canon cripples their cameras on canonrumors though you get a horde of pedants claiming that "crippling something means taking away a feature it once had, but if the camera never had the feature it is not crippling :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:" but fail to adress the fact that Canon specs are on a level now that SoNikon had in the previous generation.

Compare the 5D4 to the equivalent Nikon camera D850:
30 VS 46 mpix
7 VS 10 shots per second
useless 4k VS great 4k
61 VS 150 AF points
No articulation on screen VS full articulation
Its own specced-down AF system VS the same AF system as the D5
no bells and whistles VS timelapse, focus peaking, focus stacking in-camera

And the Sony cameras trumph those Nikon specs...

InternetJunky posted:

If it's not going to work with my super-telephotos then forget it though. In your case, since you use the 300 for outdoor portraits more than wildlife you might be able to get away using the lens with the adaptor, couldn't you? Do you see any image problems with the adaptor? I know in some reviews the image edge was garbage with certain adaptors.

I have been out with my supertele a couple of more times now and the results aren't good. I tried a couple of the other available autofocus methods (only flexible spot, center spot and center zone is available with an adapter) and my initial conclusion still holds true, AF keeps hunting if you aren't in the center of the frame and even that very few shots do land focus.
If changing your super-telephotos is not an option then stick with your 1DX for the time being. I'd totally rent the A9 for a week though just to try it out, it might help to have 300 more AF spots and/or it might have faster AF the same way the 1DX-series do (?).

I have not had time to see if there are image quality issues, beyond the AF not landing very often. I am going to assume there aren't any though as none of the youtube superstars like Tony Northrup, Jared Polin, Jason Lanier, Manny Ortiz etc has ever mentioned that and i have seen A LOT of videos on this subject.

My prediction is that if Sony keeps this development pace up then the next generation (May 2019 for A9II, October 2019 for A7RIIII) will have :siren:EYE-AF for WILDLIFE:siren: and there will be a mad scramble for all bird/wildlife photogs to dump their CaNikon gear and get Sony gear.
This is where i am undecided at the moment. Either stick with Canon for another generation and hope that their rumored full frame mirrorless will take up the fight against Sony or sell of all my Canon gear while i still can and swap to Sony. I would have to wait a year or so for them to release a 300 F2.8 though, and i would need to research more on that focus by wire aspect.

I honestly doubt Canon will release anything particularly interesting though. Their market is in entry-level DSLRs and high-end professionals. The professionals doesn't care, they show up to the olympics, gets handed a bunch of gear, shoot with it for a few weeks, hands the gear back and goes home. The entry-level doesn't care because if people are still buying entry-level DSLRs when they can have much more powerful and much less bulky entry-level mirrorless cameras then they just don't care.
Us enthusiast amateurs that are interested in technology and gear and get our knowledge from the new generation of professional photographers on youtube are caught in the middle and only Sony are catering to us.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 14, 2018

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm not sure I'd say the 5DIV autofocus was 'specced-down'. It's the same as the 1DXII except for not having a dedicated processor; a reasonable engineering trade-off decision for a smaller body. The criticism shouldn't be Canon holding back features but that they seem to need to run two DIGIC chips in the 1DX line whereas Nikon only need one EXPEED in the D5. This seems to pay off for Nikon, with a much better battery life on the D5. And mirrorless cameras are battery junkies.

I'm not sure Eye-AF for Wildlife will cause a mass exodus from Canon. The best anyone who isn't Canon can hope for is a slow trickle. No matter how amazing it is, most wildlife photographers will say "that's nice" then look at their massive investment in top quality glass then go back to shooting the amazing photographs they're already shooting. Even with the current benefits of silent shutter and 20fps I'm not seeing in my wildlife-photography-sphere any notable talk about switching to one.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 14, 2018

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

:mad: Well that's just rude. (But hilarious!)

The name really makes this photo.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Skutter posted:

The name really makes this photo.

"You must be wondering why I've summoned you all here today..."

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Ineptitude posted:

The biggest difference/uniqueness with the A9 is that it does not have rolling shutter if you use the electronic shutter, so for a dedicated birder (particularly bird in flight, where rolling shutter mostly applies) that do not want to disturb the wildlife the A9 is probably the go-to camera. I was surprised how loud the mechanical shutter on my A7RIII actually is, its not that different from my 5DIV.

If you need the shots per second you currently have i'd go for the A9
Yeah, 20 FPS and completely silent shutter are two features that are just too incredible. So much of my work is action shots (birds in flight, etc), and since I sell my work 20 FPS gives me double the chance to get that perfect pose. All it takes is a few times getting "the" shot due to 20 FPS versus 10 FPS to justify the price of the body.

And silent shot for wildlife shooting is pretty valuable. Even if your shutter doesn't spook your subject, it still puts them on alert usually and you lose that natural behaviour.

quote:

I have been out with my supertele a couple of more times now and the results aren't good. I tried a couple of the other available autofocus methods (only flexible spot, center spot and center zone is available with an adapter) and my initial conclusion still holds true, AF keeps hunting if you aren't in the center of the frame and even that very few shots do land focus.
If changing your super-telephotos is not an option then stick with your 1DX for the time being. I'd totally rent the A9 for a week though just to try it out, it might help to have 300 more AF spots and/or it might have faster AF the same way the 1DX-series do (?).
I shoot 99% with centre-point AF anyway, but I don't think I could accept any slowdown in the AF. Even though I'm shooting with an older 1DX the AF on that is so crazy that it feels like cheating.

quote:

My prediction is that if Sony keeps this development pace up then the next generation (May 2019 for A9II, October 2019 for A7RIIII) will have :siren:EYE-AF for WILDLIFE:siren: and there will be a mad scramble for all bird/wildlife photogs to dump their CaNikon gear and get Sony gear.
If Sony puts out a A9II with EYE-AF for wildlife and accompanies it with a 500mm f/4 I will switch, and I know of ton of other wildlife shooters that would switch as well. Canon better be working overtime to come up with a comparable offering (or something similarly killer, like the 600mm DO that was teased a few years ago).

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

InternetJunky posted:

It's super rare to get them with some pine trees as the background
Quoting my old comment on Neckbeard's Great Grey Owl photo because ever since I said that I've been finding Great Greys in pine trees.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

InternetJunky posted:

Quoting my old comment on Neckbeard's Great Grey Owl photo because ever since I said that I've been finding Great Greys in pine trees.

I really hope you had to climb to the top of the adjacent tree to get this shot.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Finally, things are starting to warm up around here. The robins were out in full force the other day.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I tried a photo merge from a recent shoot (pay no attention to the top right or bottom left please):

President Beep posted:

I really hope you had to climb to the top of the adjacent tree to get this shot.
I would like to say I'm hardcore enough to climb a tree for a shot like this, but the truth is the owls make it easy by perching in very small trees that are in ditches so they're practically eye level to you.

President Beep posted:

Finally, things are starting to warm up around here. The robins were out in full force the other day.
I always look forward to spring migration, but it's snowing like mad right now up here so I think I'll have to wait a while. The weird thing is that there's a good population of robins that don't even migrate south any more in my area. They've learned to fish minnows out of the local pond in a warm spot where the ice doesn't form.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Bad Hair Day by B. B., on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Let your freak flag fly, little bird.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone is looking for a relatively inexpensive birding rig, I'm selling my Canon 60D and Tamron 150-600 gen 1 in the buy/sell thread.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
This fat bastard was attacking cars today.

Big Turkey and the Lady by B. B., on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

torgeaux posted:

I have to ask: What in the heck is up with the metadata? f/1.0 at 300mm???

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

I've never seen one so dark. Awesome bird! I keep hoping I'll find some around here that are in a good place to photo.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

President Beep posted:

I have to ask: What in the heck is up with the metadata? f/1.0 at 300mm???

Adapted lenses gently caress up exit data. It's a Canon 300 f/4 FD on a fuji. Most shots were at 5.6, I think.

Oh, and he hangs around a place that raises turkeys and has a few half breed kids in jail. The farmed turkeys are pure white, and there are a couple of pretty gray girls, too, as a result of the big boy spreading his genetics. He would not let cars go by without a run at them.

A woman with a 500mm on a Nikon I think was shooting too, but unhappy because the only shots not of his rear end were on pavement. I felt her pain. He was great at getting behind poo poo until he got on the road.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 22, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Adapted lenses gently caress up exit data. It's a Canon 300 f/4 FD on a fuji. Most shots were at 5.6, I think.

I figured it was because of something like that. I’m still having fun imagining a 300mm f/1 though. In my mind’s eye it’d have the form factor of a five gallon plastic bucket.

:allears:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cropped all to hell, but downy woodpeckers are so cute.

Miller Knox Downy Woodpecker with post-4803 on Flickr

President Beep posted:

I figured it was because of something like that. I’m still having fun imagining a 300mm f/1 though. In my mind’s eye it’d have the form factor of a five gallon plastic bucket.

:allears:

picture this but bigger

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Cropped all to hell, but downy woodpeckers are so cute.

Miller Knox Downy Woodpecker with post-4803 on Flickr

picture this but bigger

First, I live in a wood sided house, and I hate those fuckers. Second, eh, I hear that sigma is soft in the corners.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The motivation to edit photos struck me tonight, so here are some boring, common birds from a few years ago.
Waterloo Miscellany 5 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Waterloo Miscellany 6 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Waterloo Miscellany 7 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
First Visit to Fletcher Creek 7 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
First Visit to Fletcher Creek 8 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Waterloo Miscellany 8 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Waterloo Miscellany 9 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Waterloo Miscellany 17 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Some common Australian birds:

Noisy Minor

Welcome Swallow

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pretty dark for photos but lighter than usual for this guy's pass through the neighborhood.

High Voltage Owl-4838 on Flickr

Whoooo-4841 on Flickr

Pine Tree Owl-4817 on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BRW21006 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20620 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20747 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20825 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
Caught Napping by Ron Lee, on Flickr

Clever Girl by Ron Lee, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Awesome

Breaking in the new camera.

Junco Fetch-0103 on Flickr

Red-winged on yellow-0361 on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

This thread is going quiet again so time for an owl dump.

Someone IDed the yellow stain on this Great-Horned Owl as skunk spray which I thought was pretty cool

DJExile posted:

BRW21006 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20620 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20747 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW20825 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr
Please post more from Africa, these are great although you might want to fix exposure as they are pretty dark (at least on my semi-calibrated monitor).

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Breaking in the new camera.
How do you find the 7D2 so far?

I quite like this one. The contrast between the blue and browns is great.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Never stop. I think these are my favs.

quote:

How do you find the 7D2 so far?

Love it so far, although I think it will be a while before I'm fully leveraging it's strengths. Also a little hard to make a full comparison because I was shooting with the 70-300L last time and 400/5.6 this morning, while most of my bird shots over the past couple of years were 6D/Tamron 150-600G1. I'm not going to lie, it's pretty fun to press the shutter and hear ratatatatatatatat.

From this morning
Sunset View Turkey-0725 on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

I love this angle

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Kenshin posted:

I love this angle

That’s my favorite too. Very unique shot.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Hooray for Carolina Wrens being out & about!
(and grumpy)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alpenglow posted:

Hooray for Carolina Wrens being out & about!
(and grumpy)

Nice!

Here's a couple more from this morning.

Sunset View Turkey Swing Low-0567 on Flickr

Sunset View Turkey Giving big boy some space-0550 on Flickr

Sunset View Turkey Hen-0585 on Flickr

Sunset View Turkey Hen with stalker-0591 on Flickr

Sunset View Turkey Peek-a-boo-0482 on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

Please post more from Africa, these are great although you might want to fix exposure as they are pretty dark (at least on my semi-calibrated monitor).

Thanks, :cheers: and yeah they likely are. Lighting was all over the place and I haven't had much chance to edit some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I really dig this one. It's cool how the plumage is illuminated. Very eye-catching.