Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

rndmnmbr posted:

This was one of the rare few actually good Star Trek novels. I read the gently caress out of this one and Mirror, Mirror by Diane Duane when I was in middle school.

Was it good, or were you in middle school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

hemale in pain posted:

Please post pics

I'm pumped.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

basic hitler posted:

the DS9 finale, worf drunkenly telling someone to go to minsk and screaming MINSK! over actor's lines is pretty good.

Wait what?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

mycomancy posted:

Wait what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=138gX3wolOo

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i thought although worf had ties to minsk he was raised on some sort of agricultural planet

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Was it good, or were you in middle school?

Not as good as when I first read it, but it's still pretty solid. But let's face it, it's still Star Trek fanfiction, it's never going to be high literature.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

think im going to dabble in some Enterprise this week

gently caress the haters ENT is good.

For that matter, so is Disco.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Do any of y'all remember the star trek spoof books, where the enterprise had a teacup on top of the saucer section?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

tactlessbastard posted:

For that matter, so is Disco.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

My man McCoy.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

tactlessbastard posted:

Starting season three tomorrow. Most consistent ST in terms of quality episode to episode by a good margin. Needs a bit more zing in the overarching story, but every episode carries itself so I'm okay with that.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i thought although worf had ties to minsk he was raised on some sort of agricultural planet

I think this is from S1 TNG which, while not as bad as VOY for getting its canon rewritten, does seem to get overruled if they have something better later on. Like O'Brien has officer pips, but in DS9 he says he deliberately never became an officer as part of character development in a story arc.

VOY rewrites its canon just because it's what they felt like that week

The General
Mar 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/56on9ZH.mp4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

simplefish posted:

I think this is from S1 TNG which, while not as bad as VOY for getting its canon rewritten, does seem to get overruled if they have something better later on. Like O'Brien has officer pips, but in DS9 he says he deliberately never became an officer as part of character development in a story arc.

VOY rewrites its canon just because it's what they felt like that week

Even DS9 gets in on that, with Sisko saying his dad is dead, but later he shows up as a character.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Inescapable Duck posted:

Even DS9 gets in on that, with Sisko saying his dad is dead, but later he shows up as a character.

No that was not a continuity error. People die and come back constantly in the Picard era. Q farts out some stupid idea to impress Jean Luc and suddenly an entire era of human civilization gets restored just so he can be surrounded by drug warriors. I believe that Kevin Uxbridge swung by one day and suddenly the seaboard was flush with revivified grandparents and Sisko had to find a place for him and was like, 'well, he always loved killing marine life...'

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

He never says his dad was dead. It's some strongly implicating phrase like "when I went to hospital and saw him lying there, so weak and frail compared to how he used to be, I broke down crying"

But apparently Daddy Sisko got better :iiam:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Oh yeah speaking of Q there's a scene (s2e21? Around there. Picard is getting heart surgery) where Picard is explaining what it's like to get stabbed in the back and have the knife come out the front, and how he almost laughed at the absurdity of it. To Wesley. Who got stabbed through the back and was most certainly not laughing about it in S1TNG

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Nothing sinks so low as Voyager having a visible boom mic more than once.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Nothing sinks so low as Voyager having a visible boom mic more than once.

That was just a portable holo emitter.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I don't see how people can hate on TOS, haven't they seen Kirk's breathtaking fight scenes? Every episode I stare at the screen in gleeful anticipation of every slow-mo punch or clumsy, full body tackle. Oh and the strategic, soft-focus lighting that makes Kirk seem so righteous and the voice of reason one second and the next he's just rolling around on the carpet like maybe he heard of something called wrestling once but nobody really explained it to him so he's just going by what "feels right".

Pure delight.

Also the loving Gorn fight was a masterpiece and should be shown in a museum.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Not everyone likes things more just because they are campy or bad. TOS has it's place but just because some hammy actor was pummeling a guy in a $30 lizard costume with styrofoam rocks 50 years ago that doesn't make it compete with compelling storylines like Deep Space 9. Enterprise is better than TOS.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Not everyone likes things more just because they are campy or bad. TOS has it's place but just because some hammy actor was pummeling a guy in a $30 lizard costume with styrofoam rocks 50 years ago that doesn't make it compete with compelling storylines like Deep Space 9. Enterprise is better than TOS.
NO!!!!!!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

COMING FOR YOU!!!!! :mad:

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

empty sea posted:

Also the loving Gorn fight was a masterpiece and should be shown in a museum.

My homie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Do later Star Trek series just sort of pretend that some of the weirder episodes of TOS never happened? I'm talking about the space hippies, space Greek gods and space mafia.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sadly so. I still want to see a character from the Mafia Planet show up as a Starfleet crew member, dissing Klingons with gangster lingo.

Though Star Trek series will often pretend that at least one episode from the same series didn't happen (like the one where the Dax symbiote gets stolen) anyway, so.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the Trials and Tribbleations there idea was initially that they wanted to do an episode where they go to the gangster planet which had now turned into a Trekkie planet.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think the Trials and Tribbleations there idea was initially that they wanted to do an episode where they go to the gangster planet which had now turned into a Trekkie planet.

This is why DS9 is the best show. It knows when to play serious and when to take you out to the holosuite.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

:discourse:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nutsngum posted:

This is why DS9 is the best show. It knows when to play serious and when to take you out to the holosuite.

Another reason:

Enterprise D crew has fun by doing Shakespeare or watching a dumb robot play the violin. DS9 crew has fun by playing baseball or openly holding holosuite orgies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Al Borland Corp. posted:

While Voyager got Sulu and the Excelsior set for their 30th anniversary episode... and proceeded to make zero use of them in the episode as anything beyond a setpiece for a dumb story about fake memories.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Still it was pretty nice to have Sulu turn to Janeway and say "Who the hell are you?"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Still it was pretty nice to have Sulu turn to Janeway and say "Who the hell are you?"

It'd be nicer still if that wasn't literally his only real contribution to the episode. The only other part he's involved in is when they start messing about in Tuvok's mind and he stands behind them going "hey, who are you and what are you doing" as ineffectual background noise.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jose Oquendo posted:

Another reason:

Enterprise D crew has fun by doing Shakespeare or watching a dumb robot play the violin. DS9 crew has fun by playing baseball or openly holding holosuite orgies.

In retrospect, seems like the TNG crew was a bunch of goddamn nerds, while DS9 was a genuinely varied jumble of people brought together by circumstances who learn to live and care for each other despite their vast differences. Kind of the strength of the setting; a space station where they have to live and work alongside civilians rather than a spaceship where the crew all live together and meet aliens of the week.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The MSJ posted:

Do later Star Trek series just sort of pretend that some of the weirder episodes of TOS never happened? I'm talking about the space hippies, space Greek gods and space mafia.

In some production memos from TNG it sounds like they weren't entirely sure whether TNG took place in TOSs future, or if TNG was a separate show whose history just happened to include people and events that resembled some TOS episodes, if that makes sense.

The big example was time travel - there's one memo where Rick Sternbach basically says "yeah TOS had the stellar slingshot/breakaway manuever but I don't know whether or not that's a real thing for TNG"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Does Sisko’s sister ever come up again after the 9/11 episode?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
It was a long slog getting through TOS. That Native American one was cringeworthy but did address one issue: why all alien races look human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
when u put this on in the morning are you getting dressed or upholstered

Only registered members can see post attachments!