Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Republicans posted:

I haven't fought Lagi since Tri and all I remember is he's super easy to fight on land.

You should try playing Monster Hunter Generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

oh they were showing this off at GDC because they used lagia as a test monster, this doesn't necessarily mean he's coming. sorry

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Lagi was never much of a threat out of water though

Yeah hopefully they remix his moveset since there's no swimming

I can't remember if it was Ivory or Abyssal, I think Ivory, but one of them fought on land more and had tons of lightning, you build off that, could do some fun stuff

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Why in the hell would they let me capture jho, and then just leave him on the base with some lovely HBG user watching him?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

oh they were showing this off at GDC because they used lagia as a test monster, this doesn't necessarily mean he's coming. sorry
:arghfist:

Really though you should all fight him in Generations if you're saying he's harmless on land.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

lets hang out posted:

I doubt they would bother doing all that work just for a test monster.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

and yeah he was much tougher in gen

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lets hang out posted:

Even if the case, seems likely he'd come out at some point. They already put some of the work in.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The armor from previous games looks like rathalos stuff from a quick search, so I ain't too excited.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Does anything in World use the Leviathan skeleton? It would be a huge waste of effort to import that into World and not release it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Yeah I just beat my first pickle using a lance and the entire time I was wondering how the gently caress weapons with low vertical range are supposed to hit him.

I've only fought him with a bow so far, but I did notice the hilarious melee plight in multiplayer. They were all circled around his ankles the entire time. I dabble in melee weapons, but Jho will not be one of the monsters I bring one to anytime soon.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Neo_Crimson posted:

Does anything in World use the Leviathan skeleton? It would be a huge waste of effort to import that into World and not release it.

There are no leviathans in World, no. They're cool monsters and I really hope they bring some in :pray:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MY BOY!

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Capcom has created a monster. By making MHW as good as it is they've hooked millions of insatiable players with long stretches between big updates, and I doubt they built MHW with speedy content pipelines in mind.

That said, I'm not sure why they haven't littered the store with layered armor sets by this point. They're sitting on a friggin goldmine and they release a handler chef outfit? The gently caress?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I agree about the tempered stuff, I hadn't really started on it until now but I'm trying to get into it and getting these investigations is a pain. When I finally do get a tempered monster it's like "oh and also fight pink rathian and black diablos". :arghfist: I need two more tempered threat 2 monsters to get the evasion mantle quest and I keep getting the same ones. Worst one I've done so far is definitely Uragaan :gonk:

Does anyone have the list handy of the different tempered monsters and their threat tier?

The minimum HR requirement is an easy way to tell when choosing quests. Minimum HR of 13 is T1, 30 is T2, 50 is T3.

Did the Evasion mantle quest yesterday, wow. Being poisoned, on fire, and stunned all at once was a new experience. The two of them being able to reach you quickly from across that arena physically and ranged made it the toughest fight yet.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Two amazing fighters knock each other out in a climactic fight- only for one of them to pull out a chair...! Utter madness!

This has been one of my favorite moments and it's only from my first hunt.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Deviljho was underwhelming.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Chewbot posted:

Capcom has created a monster. By making MHW as good as it is they've hooked millions of insatiable players with long stretches between big updates, and I doubt they built MHW with speedy content pipelines in mind.

That said, I'm not sure why they haven't littered the store with layered armor sets by this point. They're sitting on a friggin goldmine and they release a handler chef outfit? The gently caress?

I hope they don't do that. I was offended enough by the Ryu gestures being like $4 a piece. That kind of poo poo should be $0.99 for the pair. More frequent updates with more monsters would be nice, but I fully understand that isn't something you can just poo poo out by the dozen, since the only thing they can harvest from the old games is the name, really.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rubellavator posted:

Deviljho was underwhelming.

:frogout:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I'm sorry, I don't know what made him so good in the previous games, but he's really disappointing in this game after all the hype

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's because he wasn't in the base game as well as various improvements World made.

Previously in Tri, he just shows up out of the blue in what's supposed to be a normal mission. And he keeps showing up in the wild afterwards, just coming in and doing his thing whether you like it or not.

And then subsequent games made him meaner. Savage Deviljho, rather than being some kind of super Deviljho variant, is just Deviljho enraged 100% of the time. Other monster variants are subspecies. Deviljho? He's just really really mad.

In World, we got Bazel and he's deadlier in some ways that Deviljho just wasn't. Plenty of people have had him just dive bomb out of nowhere and bam, you're dead. But even then, Bazel is something you can recover from because you can go back to camp for supplies. In previous games, wasting time and energy on Deviljho could mean you didn't have enough time or supplies to beat the monster you took the quest for. Run out of dung bombs because Deviljho keeps showing his face against Pink Rathian? Guess you'll have to go through her entire pin animation and whoops you're dead now. Etc.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rubellavator posted:

I'm sorry, I don't know what made him so good in the previous games, but he's really disappointing in this game after all the hype

In tri/3U the second you step into HR you're lied to about doing a simple quest. In your low rank gear you set out to do the norm and you get attacked by a hell pickle which is absolutely terrifying in your lovely outdated gear. He then becomes a constant threat hounding you in the early tiers thanks to Peco (A bird that can summon monsters for help and buff itself) and just it's roving nature.
Once you get geared up though he's Just Another Monster but he leaves quite the impression given his introduction.

Cut to world and most players in this thread are kitted out in end-game gear and buffed to hell and back so uh, he's just kind of there because it's normal ol' Jho, not his Savage form or anything else. He's still pretty fun and crazy but the meme of normal jho being unstoppable really didn't help him int his case.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Is there a tempered version of Jho yet? That's what I'm really looking forward to.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Uh, isn't the Lance supposed to bounce at Green when charging? Because if so, I think DevilJho lance has a hidden feature.

EDIT: Never mind, bounces at YELLOW, not green.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 23, 2018

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
After 300 hours, I'm still learning new things. For example, today I learned that the food vouchers give you 100% chance to activate your food skill. Which is peachy to get moxie or some of the carving bonuses. Also, the new low rank event with 3 monsters drops vouchers! Time to farm up a million of them!

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Rubellavator posted:

He is a fun, honest fight without a gimmick or generally bad hit boxes. He is scary when you are just starting high rank, similar to Bezel. He would also show up constantly due to the way areas were segregated and Qurupeco batphoning him in. High rank was defined by him just being annoying and interrupting you. He never was really anything hard and they took out some of his more bullshit and powerful moves for World.

Jho has a nostalgia fun factor for veterans. Even at his strongest, he was always manageable. If you expected a challenge, I am sorry. Deviljho is no Rajang.

Hypha fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 23, 2018

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Rubellavator posted:

He had more personality than most monsters, hence the memes. They don't introduce him very well either. It would have been better if they just started with the special assignment instead of making you go out and find him so you know he's coming, because his cutscene is a pretty neat way of establishing what he his.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So what do you think the over under is on us getting any Black Dragons added? I wanna fight me some world killers.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Again, they should've introduced Deviljho with a Qurupeco hunt. It's basically a meme that if Qurupeco calls for aid and Deviljho answers, Qurupeco is going to bite it.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah completely, I just hope they do DLC. The Monster Hunter model has been offshoot sequels that are basically standalone expansion packs for full price, which fits for mobile but kinda sucks.

For SF4, Capcom sold SF4Turbo in retail stores as a new full priced game, and offered a Turbo DLC for SF4 that had parity with the new retail box. I could see that model working with the mhw Grank expansion.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
fighting Xeno with pubs is a lottery but fighting Xeno alone is a sleeping pill

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I hope we get Lagiacrus at some point. We could have had Agnaktor too but we got Lavasioth instead, yawn.

Khezu/Gigginox when?

MICROSOFT INCEL
Jun 11, 2017

And Tyler Too! posted:

Khezu/Gigginox when?

The trailer will just be silence and that scream. No other sounds allowed.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Ground out thirty-ish Jho's yesterday and today to fully build eight of his weapons so far. Just six more to go! Tallfangs are the real bottleneck, I'm sitting on five gems whereas I only have one tallfang left. Scalps can be pretty rare as well, although you need way less. Absolutely break his face every time, you need those fangs. The rest is whatever, his tail and chest gives chances at gems (presumably 3% as usual) but you don't need the other stuff from them. That being said, his breaks aren't that hard to get, so might as well get all three.

I've always had the most success against Jho with Lance and his World version is no different. Especially now that you can flip 180 degrees with the power guard. I started with a Kirin/Legi mixed set for Good Luck and Capture Master, which had a noticeable effect (really helps with the tallfangs and gems). Used the Thunderpiercer which does solid damage with Thunder Attack 5 as my only offensive skill. For the last ten or so kills I switched to a Kirin/Rath Crit Element set, which shortened my kill time by two minutes (down to ~7 minutes on average), so that's probably worth it if you are going for the long grind.

Been thinking about the best way to use his armor in a functional fashion set. I think there's some play going for Latent Power 5 coupled with a Health Augment on the weapon. Just play fast and loose and go for trades, using Speed Eater to top off if things get dicey. Latent Power lasts for 90 seconds and if you are getting smacked around it'll proc pretty quick. The buff is insane and pushes the weapons to pretty ridiculous levels. I think Affinity+Health is definitely the way to go with Jho weapons in general, although double slots to get that level 2 slot might be interesting. Otherwise I'll probably just build a mixed set around Nerg Beta, which with the right coloring matches the weapons quite well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
LS feels so good to play now holy poo poo it's so anime

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Are you farming through investigations or repeating the optional? I grabbed a bunch of prints yesterday but didnt get any investigations of them for it. I wanted to know if I am wasting my time.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Are you farming through investigations or repeating the optional? I grabbed a bunch of prints yesterday but didnt get any investigations of them for it. I wanted to know if I am wasting my time.

Investigations. Easiest way to get them is to do the optional and be obsessive about getting all his breaks, triggering turf wars, and picking up tracks (in that order of importance). Investigations triggered from breaks and I *think* turf wars should be guaranteed to be Jho investigations, whereas tracks will be any monster that can show up in that area. You can do the same thing with expedition Jho's as well to get investigations for other maps.

Edit: Made a Teo/Jho mixed fashion set for kicks and it is as hilarious as I hoped. You basically can't die with augmented armor and a health augmented weapon. So you just tank through everything with Rocksteady to trigger Latent Power right away and then you kill whatever it is you are fighting before the buff wears off. Never run out of sharpness since it's Handicraft 5 with Master's Touch. My favorite kind of set where you don't have to prepare or pay attention at all, you just brute force the monster with the power of stats.

-Weapon: Devil's Crush/Anguish/Whatever - Augment 1: Health - Augment 2: Affinity
-Head: Kaiser Crown A
-Chest: Vangis Mail A - Slot: Tenderizer Jewel 2
-Hands: Kaiser Vambraces A - Slot: Satiated Jewel 1
-Waist: Vangis Coil A - Slot: Gobbler Jewel 1
-Feet: Kaiser Greaves B - Slot: Gobbler Jewel 1
-Charm: Handicraft Charm III
-Equipment 1: Rocksteady Mantle
-Equipment 2: Affinity Booster

Gives you Teostra Technique 3 (Master's Touch), Handicraft 5, Latent Power 5, Weakness Exploit 3, Speed Eating 3, and Free Meal. You just run in, throw on the mantle and plop down the booster, and start swinging for the hills. Speed Eating and Free Meal let you buff up easily and/or chug a quick heal if your lifesteal isn't keeping up. Latent Power triggers pretty quick against stronger enemies and then you are at 80-100% affinity on weak zones and have the equivalent of Marathon Runner 3 + Constitution 5. It's pretty awesome. Greatsword is probably my favorite for it since you can continue tanking through hits with tackle after Rocksteady wears off.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 23, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've gotten a good handful of Jho investigations but all of them are either 2 or 3 monster hunts, usually involving Black Diablos, Azure Rathalos, Uragaan or other dumb monsters I don't want to fight right now :argh:

Also I've got 3 gems now and still haven't gotten a single scalp.

e: speaking of gems, drat did they go overboard with them in this game. I'm very happy for the addition of the weekly ticket but seriously, endgame requires basically a hundred of each elder dragon gem and it's ughhhhhhhhhhh

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Your Computer posted:

I've gotten a good handful of Jho investigations but all of them are either 2 or 3 monster hunts, usually involving Black Diablos, Azure Rathalos, Uragaan or other dumb monsters I don't want to fight right now :argh:

Also I've got 3 gems now and still haven't gotten a single scalp.

e: speaking of gems, drat did they go overboard with them in this game. I'm very happy for the addition of the weekly ticket but seriously, endgame requires basically a hundred of each elder dragon gem and it's ughhhhhhhhhhh

Yeah gems are pretty brutal. Especially for Rarity 7 augments, two extra gems per weapon is rough. Thank goodness Health Augments take Anjanath gems, he's easy and I've had good luck with his gems. I weep inside at the thought of getting 14 Odo gems for Affinity Augments on all these Jho weapons. Rarity 8 hasn't been too bad, since Hero's Streamstones are so rare I usually have the gem I want to use sitting around by the time I get one.

Most of my Jho investigations have been multi-monster hunts, which I've avoided since I'm just focused on him. Stick with it, you'll get some eventually. Multi-monster hunts can be pretty nice sometimes though, particularly 3 monster hunts, since the monsters have such reduced HP and you know what you will be dealing with. Single monster investigations can be more annoying sometimes when it's like a Rathalos investigation and there's a Rathian and a Bazel on the map. Waste of time to kill them but they'll never leave you alone otherwise. Whereas in a multi-monster investigation you just kill everything and it's all easier to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji7zdTZ3tdM

This would have been way cooler if we were about a second more apart.