Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is also the fact that with Shalltear he had all the time in the world to prepare for that fight, while his opponent pretty much played by their default settings that Ainz knew really well. (In terms of Game Knowledge Ainz remembered Shalltear's settings and build the second best of all Nazarick NPC's with the only one beating her being Pandora's actor who Ainz made himself.) But yeah Shalltear was built so well by a power gamer that Shalltear was considered the equivalent a lower portion Top Tier Player. If she was granted and equipped fully with divine class items she would be in the middle Top Tier (which is were Ainz is). If she could change her gear to match her opponents she would be able to fight evenly with the Upper Top Tier.

Honestly if Ainz hadn't had all that prep time and knowledge he would have been screwed because she has all the tools required to simply whoop him with little effort. She didn't ride her default settings entirely either; she did kill her own summons for HP, which was something she couldn't do in Yggdrasil.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

shalltear isn't all that bright to begin with and she eventually goes berserk whenever she isn't fighting a bloodless skeleton. she was very good at being an npc guard but is kind of terrible at this whole sentience thing.

Her blood frenzy thing wasn't actually a major problem in the game(because she was an NPC who only existed to fight people who happened to enter her area), but now that she's a sapient being who gets sent on missions going progressively more insane whenever blood touches her is an enormously awkward setback for a fighter and means that committing her to combat is generally something that can only be done if you intend to kill every living thing in an area(which is why Demiurge tells her to wait in reserve in this ep). It's actually a pretty funny quirk and a neat application of the "oh no the game is now real" trope.

I don't think it's that she's dumb so much as she's super arrogant because of how powerful she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

Honestly if Ainz hadn't had all that prep time and knowledge he would have been screwed because she has all the tools required to simply whoop him with little effort. She didn't ride her default settings entirely either; she did kill her own summons for HP, which was something she couldn't do in Yggdrasil.

Mainly cause friendly fire does not exist there.

Still Ainz was indeed lucky he was able to fool Shalltear. As attacking in his fire resist set while pretending to be in his holy resist set could have easily backfired. If Shalltear saw through it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shalltear's really dumb, but like 90% of that is her lovely character settings. she's arrogant and brash because that's how she was made. those flaws have made it harder for her to figure out that she needs to think and learn, as opposed to merely following orders first and her instincts second. and besides, her great failure happened when shalltear was high as gently caress on blood which certainly didn't help her think clearly.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

shalltear's really dumb, but like 90% of that is her lovely character settings. she's arrogant and brash because that's how she was made. those flaws have made it harder for her to figure out that she needs to think and learn, as opposed to merely following orders first and her instincts second. and besides, her great failure happened when shalltear was high as gently caress on blood which certainly didn't help her think clearly.

Well it's a mix of character settings and her creators personalty. (After no matter how in depth they went about in their NPC's there was no way they were going to write about every aspect of them. Which is why their creator's personalty's fills the gaps.)

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well it's a mix of character settings and her creators personalty. (After no matter how in depth they went about in their NPC's there was no way they were going to write about every aspect of them. Which is why their creator's personalty's fills the gaps.)

Actually, that made me think of something on a different tangent. If filling in the character bio changes the character, would writing uncontradicted lore about the rest of the species change the species if it was written before whatever the hell brought Ainz to the world? "Unlike most vampires, Shaltear hates mohawks", would that make other vampires have a tendency to have mohawks?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

lobster22221 posted:

Actually, that made me think of something on a different tangent. If filling in the character bio changes the character, would writing uncontradicted lore about the rest of the species change the species if it was written before whatever the hell brought Ainz to the world? "Unlike most vampires, Shaltear hates mohawks", would that make other vampires have a tendency to have mohawks?

Probably not. It'd probably make Shalltear assume it is true though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

some guild members would write lengthy biographies for npcs they made, others would maybe make a short list of traits and call it done. those details said a lot about each guild member, but the now former npcs aren't nearly as close to what their creators were like as ainz likes to pretend. for one thing, most of the guild members were normal people who didn't take the monster theme too seriously (aside from the dork who made demiurge). there are like maybe 10 npcs in nazarick who aren't evil as gently caress.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

some guild members would write lengthy biographies for npcs they made, others would maybe make a short list of traits and call it done. those details said a lot about each guild member, but the now former npcs aren't nearly as close to what their creators were like as ainz likes to pretend. for one thing, most of the guild members were normal people who didn't take the monster theme too seriously (aside from the dork who made demiurge). there are like maybe 10 npcs in nazarick who aren't evil as gently caress.

Well I assume that would be a side effect of each character having an alignment that the guild members all checked off. So the NPC would automatically try to act their alignment no matter what their listed personalty is like. Some of the things there personalty could more or less be (depending on how much their creator filled out the bio.) the creator but evil cause he checked the evil box on the stat sheet.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
here i am reading about a second hand account of an imaginary world based on an imaginary mmo played by imaginary people in a contemporary world

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's what every issekai author hopes their creation to be, really.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Argas posted:

Probably not. It'd probably make Shalltear assume it is true though.

You are probably right. Just a weird thought that popped into my head.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

here i am reading about a second hand account of an imaginary world based on an imaginary mmo played by imaginary people in a contemporary world

Overlord frequently doesn't stick the actual story writing, but the world, its mechanics, and how they relate to the much simpler game they originally come from are pretty fun and interesting to think about.

I mean, poo poo, the NPCs in Nazarick are basically an extremely evil cast of Toy Story. A bunch of fantasy caricature characters intended to have limited or no real depth who suddenly are sapient and have their own thoughts and desires and behaviors and ideas about the world, the people who created them, and the person who "owns" them.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 23, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the story's not great, but i think it would be a lot better without demiurge. he's the most active player in nazarick, and he drives the plot accordingly. unfortunately, he drives it toward pointless monstrous sadism with no opposition and i don't find that particularly interesting.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

The lack of opposition is due to Ainz being dumb and assuming things.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It is also Ainz' fault for putting a driving motivation (conquer the world) into Demiurge's head in the first place.

Even if he didn't intend to.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
demiurge was gonna spread horror and death no matter what ainz told him. it sounds real good to him, so obviously his brilliant master is also into it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

It is also Ainz' fault for putting a driving motivation (conquer the world) into Demiurge's head in the first place.

Even if he didn't intend to.

tbf he didn't even say much, demiurge just assumes that everything ainz says is filled with profound meaning as ainz is an inscrutable chessmaster who always plans 500 steps ahead and definitely not not a bumbling skeleton

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Misinterpreting god’s words still occurs in modern society.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

the story's not great, but i think it would be a lot better without demiurge. he's the most active player in nazarick, and he drives the plot accordingly. unfortunately, he drives it toward pointless monstrous sadism with no opposition and i don't find that particularly interesting.

Not only is Demiurge himself monstrously evil, since he's the smartest floor guardian besides Albedo(who spends all of her time sitting around making Ainz pillows/plushies/dolls), he's usually the filter through which Ainz's commands to his subordinates are received. Ainz will give a command and leave, his subordinates will go "Hmm I wonder what he means" and Demiurge will go "oh, I understand, he really wants us to do <thing in the most evil way possible>" and everyone else would go "oh that makes sense".

Demiurge would be a really cool and interesting character if there was another Nazarick character with equal standing who was set up as a foil to him, but there isn't. Sebas would be the logical choice except Sebas is in a subordinate position so he can't really fill the role. I would really like if Albedo filled that role because her normal role is basically to be a nonentity except for tiresome "I LOVE AINZ" jokes. Even her major plot point, her increasing disconnect between the concept of Momonga and the concept of Ainz, is a variant of this.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Kanos posted:

Even her major plot point, her increasing disconnect between the concept of Momonga and the concept of Ainz, is a variant of this.

It doesn't help that is still hasn't been followed up on at all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Albedo generally takes administrative roles as that is what she is best at. (Demiurge himself saying in terms of pure administration she is better then him. But in terms of pure intelligence he is still superior. ) As a result he tends to take field command while Albedo does administration.

I do remember a fun scene. Were Ainz has to do some administration and paper work and he is pretty much like "I have no idea what I am doing Albedo you do it." and she does the typical thing of saying he is being humble, but he utterly drops any pretense of trying to be seen as a godlike superior being and just straight up says that he really does not know how to do this stuff and that Aldedo is better at it. Which pretty much causes her to experience the most joy in her life, as she never imagined that she would be better then one of the supreme beings at something.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Albedo generally takes administrative roles as that is what she is best at. (Demiurge himself saying in terms of pure administration she is better then him. But in terms of pure intelligence he is still superior. ) As a result he tends to take field command while Albedo does administration.

I do remember a fun scene. Were Ainz has to do some administration and paper work and he is pretty much like "I have no idea what I am doing Albedo you do it." and she does the typical thing of saying he is being humble, but he utterly drops any pretense of trying to be seen as a godlike superior being and just straight up says that he really does not know how to do this stuff and that Aldedo is better at it. Which pretty much causes her to experience the most joy in her life, as she never imagined that she would be better then one of the supreme beings at something.

ln spoilersWas that after he was running the country? I remember the scene but can't remember when it happened

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 23, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lobster22221 posted:

ln spoilersWas that after he was running the country? I remember the scene but can't remember when it happened

After

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

lobster22221 posted:

It doesn't help that is still hasn't been followed up on at all.

It's alright that the one thing that has the potential to make everything break down doesn't come until near the end of the series. He did say he's ending it at novel 18 or so and we're at novel 13 now?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Mordaedil posted:

It's alright that the one thing that has the potential to make everything break down doesn't come until near the end of the series. He did say he's ending it at novel 18 or so and we're at novel 13 now?

Too soon.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Mordaedil posted:

Good point. Assuming that holds true, it is possible things will start locking into place with the upcoming novel or the one after, given the synopsis.

Something like "Ainz fakes his death, Albedo doesn't know and leads a rebellion, Ainz comes back, Albedo doesn't care because he left like all the others or some other crazed logic, Demiurge realizes Ainz is actually not who he thought, things finally come crashing down, etc. Or is Ainz actually going to die? I doubt it but might as well entertain the possibility

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 24, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lobster22221 posted:

Good point. Assuming that holds true, it is possible things will start locking into place with the upcoming novel or the one after, given the synopsis.

Something like "Ainz fakes his death, Albedo doesn't know and leads a rebellion, Ainz comes back, Albedo doesn't care because he left like all the others or some other crazed logic, Demiurge realizes Ainz is actually not who he thought, things finally come crashing down, etc. Or is Ainz actually going to die? I doubt it but might as well entertain the possibility

The author has hinted that Overlord is actually a prologue to the story he is making.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

The author has hinted that Overlord is actually a prologue to the story he is making.

I don't know if that would change things for the better, but it definitely changes my thoughts.

I had assumed when the author said there would only be 18 or so books he meant he had a conclusion in mind. The idea that it is just a prologue annoys me. I thought I would have eventual narrative closure.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 24, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lobster22221 posted:

I don't know if that would change things for the better, but it definitely changes my thoughts.

I had assumed when the author said there would only be 18 or so books he meant he had a conclusion in mind. The idea that it is just a prologue annoys me. I thought I would have eventual narrative closure.

I think he does have a conclusion in mind. But at the same time he seems to be hinting he plans to continue the story in the same place with a new cast of a different type. I think it is kind of interesting that this may be the story about how the villains in his next series came into power.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean, it's already heavily implied that past world-ending villains like the Eight Greed Kings were also MMO players.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Eh, even if everything came together, I don't really see a valid end game for Ainz and Nazarick that would be interesting. Even if he meets up with another player, what then? Do they conquer the entire world? Become enemies(actually pretty likely given Ainz's actions, and Albedo existing)? Go seperate ways? Have Nazarick defeated? Having them be villains for someone else is as good a solution as any other unless they want to kill them off or finish dominating the world. So if there won't be any finality to however the series ends, I guess I can accept that grudgingly

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 24, 2018

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phobophilia posted:

Mordaedil posted:

It's what every issekai author hopes their creation to be, really.

Its fun thinking about this stuff because for all the flaws of Overlord the core concept works really well since it has a literalist approach to how things go from 'videogame' to 'real'.

Of course editable, player designed NPCs would be religious zealots, since NPCs don't ever disobey the players who order them around and made them. Lines code don't have wills of their own.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Guilds in Yggdrasil disband when the guild weapon is broken. I think the dragonlord guy knows this and it has some meaning in this world as well, I think that might be what happens and who knows. Ainz depowers? vanishes? the minions go rogue because he is no longer a supreme being? OR ainz is brutally and repeatedly killed until he can no longer be rezzed... I mean thats a possibility.

Note the world ainz comes from is not contempory, this is set in like 2135 or something? world is apparently a hellscape from humans loving poo poo up and everyone lives in arcologies because you need significant life support equipment to go outside or something.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
People talking about who is the strongest, isn't that Rubedo?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Oh boy oh boy

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
badass

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Cool skeletons don't look at giant fire demons.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Good thing Ainz primary gear set is fire resist.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man Ainz nearly gave away the game in his first exchange with Demiurge.

Edit:Man Ainz is thick.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

He's very special.