Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

bell jar posted:

the only revolution going on in australian rules football is the radical millennial consolation point system

oh, you kicked the ball to the side of the goalposts? have a consolation point

oh, you kicked the goal post? have a consolation point

you caught the ball? good boye, now everyone back up and give him room so he can kick it

its a goal! six points for the special boy

Most team sport is based on a multi-point scoring system except soccer which takes inspiration from feudal society in that whether you will ever be happy depends entirely on getting born into a wealthy club and also most people just walk around in the dirt for 99.9% of their time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

bell jar posted:

Katie Brennan’s savvy legal move backs AFL into a corner

lmao why does anyone continue to support this piece of poo poo organisation. incredibly sexist, racist, homophobic, and transphobic. if you can come out in support of an organisation that will pay male players at least 3000% of their female counterparts' salaries and punish the female players even more, there's something seriously wrong with you and your culture.

Can they use this argument to get the afl to let the girls kick a loving full sized ball like normal?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

swimsuit posted:

disliking footy is counter revolutionary

I don't dislike footy, I dislike the organisation that runs it, the clubs that perpetuate the terrible actions of their players and the ultra racist lovely fans.

The sport itself is fine.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BIG FOOTY DOT COm

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I was arguing about the cost of mental health care in Australia and public vs private fees a while ago and just wanted to share this genuine fee schedule from a private psychiatrist in WA:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

BIG FOOTY DOT COm

[sees an organisation reap $650.5m in revenue in 2017] its just a game, there is no possibility for corruption or abuse here

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Robodog posted:

Can they use this argument to get the afl to let the girls kick a loving full sized ball like normal?

hahaha they use a smaller ball what the gently caress

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

GoldStandardConure posted:

hahaha they use a smaller ball what the gently caress

Basketball does too.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Solemn Sloth posted:

BIG FOOTY idiDOT COm

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Maybe this is a dumb question but what's the problem with having slightly smaller footies and basketballs for womens versions of the sports?

Wouldn't having your play item being scaled to the slightly smaller average size of the player make the game play more similarly?

Javelin, hammer and shotput have different implements for mens and womens competitions...

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hooman posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question but what's the problem with having slightly smaller footies and basketballs for womens versions of the sports?

Wouldn't having your play item being scaled to the slightly smaller average size of the player make the game play more similarly?

Javelin, hammer and shotput have different implements for mens and womens competitions...

They’re smaller size balls than are used in other competitions the women have been playing in, leading to them behaving differently when you take a running bounce etc

Also smaller ball = less mass = more affected by wind on longer or higher kicks, reducing the ability of the women to execute skills they can with the size ball they’re used to

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

hooman posted:

The AFL thread was talking about it earlier- most of the players initially used full size balls so the smaller ones throw them off. They are also lighter and are more affected by wind I think

But the commission is too busy whoring out AFLX so :effort:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The AFL had been stalling adding support for the women's game because they wanted to sink the money into other coke fueled pipe dreams, but when the exhibition game bone they threw to shut people up proved to be overwhelmingly popular, they were forced into a corner, and had to launch the women's league. Now they're in a bind, because none of the decision makers at AFL house want it, but they can't get rid of it, and every time they try to defund it by stealth or devalue it by pushing their other nonsense, they get caught and cop a public pasting for it.

The AFL is the most tone deaf sports organisation in the country, and that's at a time when the NRL is paying a violent home invader to play, the FFA is at war with fans over flares and chants and launched an eSports league that garnered more viewers than their actual sport, Cricket Australia tried to con the public into helping them bust the players union, and the AOC held a Putin style election to reinstall their sexist and abusive President.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 23, 2018

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
you're all being sent to the auskick gulag

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

The AFL had been stalling adding support for the women's game because they wanted to sink the money into other coke fueled pipe dreams, but when the exhibition game bone they threw to shut people up proved to be overwhelmingly popular, they were forced into a corner, and had to launch the women's league. Now they're in a bind, because none of the decision makers at AFL house want it, but they can't get rid of it, and every time they try to defund it by stealth or devalue it by pushing their other nonsense, they get caught and cop a public pasting for it.

The AFL is the most tone deaf sports organisation in the country, and that's at a time when the NRL is paying a violent home invader to play, the FFA is at war with fans over flares and chants and launched an eSports league that garnered more viewers than their actual sport, Cricket Australia tried to con the public into helping them bust the players union, and the AOC held a Putin style election to reinstall their sexist and abusive President.

A Good Post

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

swimsuit posted:

you're all being sent to the auskick gulag

i will stab you with my ice skate

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

AFLW is far more interesting to watch than AFL, and the women who play have more passion for the game than any in the AFL.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

In 2016 my local club across the road had 0 women's teams. In 2017 they had an open (16+) women's team, and enough U14 girls players to put out a 14 or so player team. This year they have a women's team, a women's U18 team, a girls U16 team, and a girls U14 team

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 23, 2018

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

They’re smaller size balls than are used in other competitions the women have been playing in, leading to them behaving differently when you take a running bounce etc

Also smaller ball = less mass = more affected by wind on longer or higher kicks, reducing the ability of the women to execute skills they can with the size ball they’re used to

Paingod556 posted:

The AFL thread was talking about it earlier- most of the players initially used full size balls so the smaller ones throw them off. They are also lighter and are more affected by wind I think

But the commission is too busy whoring out AFLX so :effort:

Thanks, that makes sense.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
WHY THE gently caress IS TRINITY GRAMMAR STILL IN THE NEWS

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Last I heard Seven was refusing to broadcast the women's league on the main channel and to advertise games

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Can someone with at least three braincells summarize what is going on with the vic labor thing the herald sun is banging on about, please?

Mine are defective.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

bell jar posted:

A Good Post

It’s actually not, he’s just obsessed with weirdo south Australian conspiracy theories that the league is systematically set up at every level to suppress the birth right of excellence that belongs indisputably to the Adelaide Crows Football Club

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Knobb Manwich posted:

Can someone with at least three braincells summarize what is going on with the vic labor thing the herald sun is banging on about, please?

Mine are defective.

Labor MPs signed off on time sheets to have electorate staff perform duties of campaign staff.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Knobb Manwich posted:

Mine are defective.

Nothing. Continue with your business.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hooman posted:

Get a full sized football and kick it around a playing field. Then get a baby footie and do the same.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

bell jar posted:

Katie Brennan’s savvy legal move backs AFL into a corner

lmao why does anyone continue to support this piece of poo poo organisation. incredibly sexist, racist, homophobic, and transphobic. if you can come out in support of an organisation that will pay male players at least 3000% of their female counterparts' salaries and punish the female players even more, there's something seriously wrong with you and your culture.

Plus the sport is boring af.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bandaid.friend posted:

Last I heard Seven was refusing to broadcast the women's league on the main channel and to advertise games

Was it on advertiser revenue grounds or something else?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

iajanus posted:

Plus the sport is boring af.
I suppose rugby is fun if you're into watching fisting.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

CrazyTolradi posted:

I suppose rugby is fun if you're into watching fisting.

But afl is the sport where they are forced to fist the ball :shrug:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

DancingShade posted:

Was it on advertiser revenue grounds or something else?

They put 5 games on 7 for Adelaide and Melbourne, the rest on 7mate, and every game on 7mate for Sydney, Brisbane, and Perth, with anywhere else needing Foxtel, and no one was really sure why. I don't think 7 ever gave an explanation. There was nothing else sports on, and they didn't do any advertising for it during the Australian Open.

On the other hand, the AFL put zero into advertising it as well, because they were caught having transferred basically all of the AFLW advertising budget to their AFLX flop, an idiotic attempt at a land grab over both soccer and cricket by scheduling a preseason competition during cricket season that used cut down rules to create a T20-like game using soccer pitches. The best and only advertising all year was by the league sponsor NAB, who ran a cool ad about creating history by inserting current players into archival footage from the 50s, 70s, and 80s.

The short answer is AFL House is full of failed-upwards paradigm breaking synergy assistant-loving management types who routinely manipulate events to gain desired outcomes, and while it works inside the league where they have total control of the teams and the media, they're loving terrible at it when they try it outside their bubble.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 23, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid posted:

WHY THE gently caress IS TRINITY GRAMMAR STILL IN THE NEWS

The principal misused a Jane Austen quote.

Also

https://twitter.com/IllyBocean/status/977015658301894657

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

DancingShade posted:

I also blame the national distributors gouging everyone.

This.

Even though the costs of warehousing and distribution should be coming down due to better warehousing and stock management software the one's I'm familiar with are very unwilling to decrease their margins. I think the end game is for the distributors to turn themselves into large online stores that bypass the retail outlets altogether.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gay picnic defence posted:

This.

Even though the costs of warehousing and distribution should be coming down due to better warehousing and stock management software the one's I'm familiar with are very unwilling to decrease their margins. I think the end game is for the distributors to turn themselves into large online stores that bypass the retail outlets altogether.

:same:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

iajanus posted:

But afl is the sport where they are forced to fist the ball :shrug:
Fist the ball, not the players.

gay picnic defence posted:

This.

So, basically Umart?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
it takes a very experienced crew to navigate the borderforce sea mines, thats why my headphones cost $400USD more from harvey norman

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Solemn Sloth posted:

Labor MPs signed off on time sheets to have electorate staff perform duties of campaign staff.

Hi can you please tell me if i should be outraged or not about it, at the moment I'm confused.

is it like a thing that's technically within the rules but looks suss? Is it wrong? Should Andrews just have lobster dinner with organized crime figures?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Knobb Manwich posted:

Hi can you please tell me if i should be outraged or not about it, at the moment I'm confused.

is it like a thing that's technically within the rules but looks suss? Is it wrong? Should Andrews just have lobster dinner with organized crime figures?

Be outraged if you are a dumbarse Hun reader, otherwise no one really gives a poo poo outside of the Victorian conservative fart bubble.

Holy poo poo, Malcolm looks absolutely hosed in the short clip the ABC showed about him talking about the upcoming trade war.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

cool lovely merch for lovely pod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Knobb Manwich posted:

It’s outside the rules (electorate staff should not be performing political tasks in an election), the ombudsman has accepted the MPs version of events that they did not realise what they did was in breach of the rules, and the Labor party has paid the State back prior to these findings being released.

Yes what they did was wrong, up to you whether you believe they didn’t know what they were doing was wrong at the time they were doing it, it pales in comparison to LNP corruption.

• Locked thread