Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I think they're collecting powerful fruits for his crew too. Jesus Burgess said the fire fruit was supposed to be his to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RealFoxy posted:

Even just collecting them so nobody else can use them against him is a pretty valid strategy considering how many really broke powers there are, like the ability to become light or the mythical zoan of being a phoenix and basically immortal.

all things considered luffy's is only mid-tier at best and he became super-strong with creative use of it

even weak powers can do a lot

e:

Reiche posted:

I think they're collecting powerful fruits for his crew too. Jesus Burgess said the fire fruit was supposed to be his to eat.

having your entire crew being incapable of swimming seems like a winning plan on the planet that's 99% ocean

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 23, 2018

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
The Nostra Castello :negative: ....

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Yinlock posted:

having your entire crew being incapable of swimming seems like a winning plan on the planet that's 99% ocean

Let's cut the bullshit and be real here, this has never been an issue in this manga

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I love One Piece :)

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Plus they have Sanjuan Wolf, the guy too huge to fit on any ship and has to swim everywhere.

But honestly we know almost no actual details of what BB's crew members can do fruit abilities or not. Who knows whether Blackbeard is absorbing all the fruits for himself or handing them out? My guess is both.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Lowkey best panel in the chapter. It's such an absurd statement but you and everyone in the story knows how deadly serious it is.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

try talking with your tongue out. just try it. that dude is absurd.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
this chapter gave the sense of dread really well, and the conclusion was superb.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

hell astro course posted:

"Thanks for the help.... That was surprising, why was he listing out all the good things about you?"

Luffy is the best character of any shonen series ever

Yeah that was the best thing that's happened in a bunch of chapters (I'm not saying that to downplay anything else it was just a great moment.)

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

So I guess the big thing for chapter 900 is Jinbei finally becoming part of the crew officially? Plus whatever crazy thing happens with Big Mom eating the cake.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

"Chapter 900: The Ninth" has a very good ring to it

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

Luffy's most dangerous feature is the ability to befriend pretty much anyone he's in contact with, so I wouldn't be shocked for the Kaido fight to become a huge Oars Jr type fight with people as strong, or stranger than he is

"Hey Marco, join my crew!"

"Ok."

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Poor Nuts Island. The Mr. Peanut tower was my favorite visual gag from this arc and now it's gone, it's gone

Amande didn't seem to happy about what happened to her territory, either. I kind of want a civil war among children to break out as the Straw Hats flee to tie off the area and move on but that's just me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Crosspeice posted:

"Hey Marco, join my crew!"

"Ok."

Isn't it somewhat established he'll be part of the armada

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RealFoxy posted:

To have a crew that's indebted to him with the strongest devil fruits available? Oda's great at foreshadow, there's probably a reason why Shanks has a scar with three claw marks on his face that he blames Blackbeard for.

e: I meant Chimera and not Cerebus but either could be true

Blackbeard used a Shredder claw weapon in the past:

Random aside: Kaidou is shown wearing a purple feather coat. Did Doflamingo get the inspiration from Kaidou to wear a pink feather coat or is it just a coincidence?

E: Also I had the biggest grin ever seeing Jimbei's (former) crew coming to the rescue. :D

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 23, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
thats anime only lol

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Jose posted:

thats anime only lol

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I love that Oda has evidently decided that the big thing for chapter 900 is not a victory for Luffy, but Big Mom eating Sanji's extremely very excellent wedding cake

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jose posted:

thats anime only lol

And Shank's face.

Shugojin posted:

I love that Oda has evidently decided that the big thing for chapter 900 is not a victory for Luffy, but Big Mom eating Sanji's extremely very excellent wedding cake

He did very explicitly lay out the stakes.
Because if Big mom hates the cake she is going to destroy all of tottoland.

Then move on elsewhere.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

To have a crew that's indebted to him with the strongest devil fruits available? Oda's great at foreshadow, there's probably a reason why Shanks has a scar with three claw marks on his face that he blames Blackbeard for.

e: I meant Chimera and not Cerebus but either could be true

He lusted after the darkness fruit for so long I can’t think of any other reason than being able to absorb other fruits power. Being able to negate another user’s power just doesn’t seem worth the wrath of Whitebeard when there’s haki. There has to be something else involved with that fruit that we don’t know about yet.

Was burgess sent to the tournament to collect the fruit for his own consumption or just to return to Blackbeard?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Reiche posted:

Plus they have Sanjuan Wolf, the guy too huge to fit on any ship and has to swim everywhere.

But honestly we know almost no actual details of what BB's crew members can do fruit abilities or not. Who knows whether Blackbeard is absorbing all the fruits for himself or handing them out? My guess is both.

he's probably handing them out with the full intention to kill his crew and absorb their powers the second they start losing

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Reiche posted:

I'm fully expecting Wolf to have his own ginormous ship by now, crewed entirely by giants...that Ussop will end up having to fight solo against.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Cat Machine posted:

I love One Piece :)

same-o

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Raspberry Bang posted:

He lusted after the darkness fruit for so long I can’t think of any other reason than being able to absorb other fruits power. Being able to negate another user’s power just doesn’t seem worth the wrath of Whitebeard when there’s haki. There has to be something else involved with that fruit that we don’t know about yet.

Yeah, negating fruit powers is helpful for like, nullifying someone like Gear 2 Luffy, but the horrible horrible drawback of making a dude that scarred an Emperor without it being a sucker punch cringe in pain makes it like the shittiest fruit to spend your whole life searching for unless “absorbing everything means fruit powers too, this also exploits a loophole since you’re not actually eating it” was a thing Blackbeard at least suspected going in.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Raspberry Bang posted:

My first thought was that it's because Blackbeard couldn't use Color of Armaments, but then I realized that someone who can't use Color of Armaments probably wouldn't want a DF that increases the damage the user takes from attacks. Then again, it's possible he's able to take hits well because he just has a tough body, like Big Mom.

Maybe he wanted it because it's such a good combination with the Quake Quake Fruit; you have enormous raw power plus the ability to drag opponents toward you so they can't dodge and to nullify their DF-based defenses. In which case he planned on killing Whitebeard eventually anyway, so he was fine with pissing off Whitebeard by killing Thatch. Although that implies Blackbeard was planning remarkably far in advance.

Maybe you're right about the Dark Dark Fruit letting you steal powers, although if so it means that Marco talking about Blackbeard having an unusual body, Blackbeard covering what he was doing with a cloth, etc. was something of a red herring. Plus Whitebeard was already dead at that point, and thus his DF had already respawned. I guess Blackbeard could have just exploited a loophole by using the Dark Dark Fruit to absorb the respawned DF non-orally, but if that's how it worked, then anyone could have multiple powers by injecting DF juice directly into their veins (unless Vegapunk somehow hasn't figured it out yet).

I think some people have suggested that Blackbeard just negates the Quake Quake with the Dark Dark, but if that's the case, how can he use the Quake Quake without exploding? Maybe there's a delay before the explosion, and he avoids being blown up by switching the Quake Quake on and off using the Dark Dark?

I'm probably overthinking all this.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Silver2195 posted:

Maybe you're right about the Dark Dark Fruit letting you steal powers, although if so it means that Marco talking about Blackbeard having an unusual body, Blackbeard covering what he was doing with a cloth, etc. was something of a red herring....

I'm probably overthinking all this.

Whenever I come across this discussion it makes me think of Brook's introduction. How there's suddenly a skeleton man with no shadow, but the man being a skeleton and the man having no shadow are two entirely different issues.

I'm just assuming that "Blackbeard wanted the Dark Dark Fruit" and "Blackbeard's got a goofy body" are two different issues until the story says otherwise. As much as I'd love for there to be some arcane interaction between the fruit and the goofy body there are enough little things, like the execution of the end of the most recent chapter, that remind me of when I'm sure of something happening I'm probably going to be at least a little wrong about it, and maybe even a lot. Or more!

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He did very explicitly lay out the stakes.
Because if Big mom hates the cake she is going to destroy all of tottoland.

Then move on elsewhere.

She is obviously going to love the cake, but this would be a great idea for a cover arc. The Big Mom pirates disband because Big Mom is on a hunger rampage all over the new world looking for cake, just destroying entire islands in her rage.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Whenever I come across this discussion it makes me think of Brook's introduction. How there's suddenly a skeleton man with no shadow, but the man being a skeleton and the man having no shadow are two entirely different issues.
It's the things like this that really give One Piece a lot of charm to it. I also really loved how Brook was terrified of ghosts, despite being a walking talking skeleton.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Reiche posted:

How the hell did he even fit down there, he was bigger than the actual prison :stare:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Parrotine posted:

How the hell did he even fit down there, he was bigger than the actual prison :stare:

He was chained up outside, obviously. Blackbeard just unlocked his chain.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Now I'm wondering what's gonna happen for chapter 1000. It's gotta be something huge.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Now I'm wondering what's gonna happen for chapter 1000. It's gotta be something huge.

full chapter of the entire armada carting luffy around while he recharges his haki from fighting kaido

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Kaidou defeated, Emperor Joker Emperor Buggy Emperor Luffy Emperor Luffy wearing an eyepatch.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The crew meet Gol D. Roger's force spirit

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The green monkey brother finally becomes a warlord

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I have not been able to follow the last few cover arc stories, whats happening with the giants?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

just showing them to us.

so, what's the cake going to do to thin mom? it's not just going to calm her down, the previous one could have done that. i think it's so good she'll vomit up the people she ate and realize she needs help.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

It's going to be those foodgasm gags in cooking anime but it goes on for 10 pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I have not been able to follow the last few cover arc stories, whats happening with the giants?

A bunch of giants were working for Buggy's rent-a-pirate service, but they all left to join Hajrudin's new giant pirate crew and be part of the Straw Hat Armada.