Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

But how much grinding SHOULD it take for a F2P player to have a complete tier 1 deck? Also one of the devs mentioned on the beta forums that every pack you open raises your odds of getting a mythic wild card a little extra, so there is a floor for mythics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

A Moose posted:

I haven't played magic in a while, but aren't mythics usually garbage 7-mana commander fodder?

That's definitely what Wizards said Mythics were going to be back when they introduced them and people were complaining that it was a real bad sign for the game.

In what should be a surprise to no-one, a lot of both build-around and generically good cards ended up at Mythic, and you're looking at a couple of playsets (or even more) for most competitive decks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For what it's worth, in Eternal you can put together basically any tier 1 deck except the "bunch of individually amazing creatures" midrange lists within your first month.

Given that Magic has a pretty regular pace of set releases and rotations, I would expect that a F2P player should be able to "keep up" in the metagame, and put together at least one new T1 deck with every set release. And that's if you wanted to be really stingy - ideally people would be able to put together multiple decks over that timeframe, so they can enjoy various different aspects of the format instead of being locked into whichever one they chose first.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

80s James Hetfield posted:

That Temur Sandwurm deck looks like a pile of hot poo poo (fun) but drat I wanna try it out on X-Mage

Exactly :D

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It's like Wizards secretly doesn't want anyone to play Magic sometimes. We were screaming at them to be more generous with the economy on the beta forums. What incentive do ingrained HS players have to switch?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Its not really a coincidence that the deadest games are the most generous. Eternal has a playerbase in the... hundreds? Like The Elder Scrolls: Legends had the whole twitch drops thing where they just drowned everyone in free gold and legendaries to try to get anyone to play their game, but then started releasing expansions at the same pace as the actual Elder Scrolls games and refused to host any tournaments. You pretty much just have to compete with Hearthstone, which is wildly popular and also not known for being even a little generous.

Also the #1 reason to play Arena is that its the only game where you can play with magic cards and magic rules and be remotely F2P. You have actual interaction with your opponents. Magic has pretty much been its own biggest competition.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Eternal has a pretty healthy player base as far as I know, definitely more than in the hundreds.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

netcat posted:

Eternal has a pretty healthy player base as far as I know, definitely more than in the hundreds.

The last event they ran had ~10k unique players participate

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I still suspect that Eternal was basically just a proof of concept for Arena. Wotc hired guys from direwolf digital, which is fine with me just saying.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

A Moose posted:

Its not really a coincidence that the deadest games are the most generous. Eternal has a playerbase in the... hundreds? Like The Elder Scrolls: Legends had the whole twitch drops thing where they just drowned everyone in free gold and legendaries to try to get anyone to play their game, but then started releasing expansions at the same pace as the actual Elder Scrolls games and refused to host any tournaments. You pretty much just have to compete with Hearthstone, which is wildly popular and also not known for being even a little generous.

Also the #1 reason to play Arena is that its the only game where you can play with magic cards and magic rules and be remotely F2P. You have actual interaction with your opponents. Magic has pretty much been its own biggest competition.

There are a few important differences with Hearthstone, I think. It very much had a boiling the frog model, where it slowly got more and more expensive to be a F2P player— I doubt it would have got as huge as it did if it required the investment it does now back at its conception, or maybe even if it was publically a rotating format. And even then it looks like they boiled the frog too much, because they have had to become very slightly more generous over the last small while.

I think something Wizards is generally quite bad at is hiding how nakedly predatory its practices are. Obviously all companies squeeze as much money out of consumers as they can, but Wizards can try and do this in a way that's so obvious it means they end up with less money as a result. I'm sure there's a word for this, and I don't know what it is.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Elyv posted:

Take a look at the banning timeline, the early part is kind of a trip

Dingus Egg, Gauntlet of Might, and Ali From Cairo, among others, were restricted on January 25, 1994. Balance had to wait until April 19, 1995.

If they had restricted black vice sooner I wouldn’t have been eliminated in the first round of the only tournament I ever played in. :mad:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

vegetables posted:

I think something Wizards is generally quite bad at is hiding how nakedly predatory its practices are. Obviously all companies squeeze as much money out of consumers as they can, but Wizards can try and do this in a way that's so obvious it means they end up with less money as a result. I'm sure there's a word for this, and I don't know what it is.

Deadweight loss. Funny enough a good name for a magic card.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

If they had restricted black vice sooner I wouldn’t have been eliminated in the first round of the only tournament I ever played in. :mad:

I remember in the old Shandalar game where you could have no deck restrictions I would play about 18 Black Vises and win through them alone. There was a bug that made them trigger multiple times if you had more than one, so they were even more overpowered than usual!

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Having fun with Enigma Drake in Arena. 'Insult, attack with drake, Fling drake' catches a lot of opponents by surprise.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

black vice was one of the most infuriatingly brutal turn one things you could do as a small child playing with friends

the only other thing that was close to as irritating was a turn one dark ritual + hypnotic specter

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I definitely don't miss the old days of land and hand destruction being viable, pushed strategies

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

evilweasel posted:

black vice was one of the most infuriatingly brutal turn one things you could do as a small child playing with friends

the only other thing that was close to as irritating was a turn one dark ritual + hypnotic specter

I have gone turn 1 on the play Swamp, Dark Rit, Dark Rit, Dark Rit, Mind Twist before
.my brother wasnt very happy with me

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
If we're talking dumb things played a long time ago, the one play I remember was:
1. Land, Sol Ring -> Winter Orb
2. Land, Icy Manipulator

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Dominaria Story Pt. 2 recap

Liliana is appropriately angsty about Josu being a lich now. She yells at the Raven Man for a bit. Then, Lili tells Gids that Belzenlok's lich is her brother. They go to the angel commanding the local Benalish forces and convince her to fight the Cabal near the Vess mansion to lure Josu in, because that's the only place they can de-lich him I guess. whatever. The angel tells them that the cabal have a "dread shade" and several "skin witches" as the heavy hitters of their force.They use a Tolarian mage to put a glamour on gideon to make him look like a skin witch so he can sneak attack the shade and lure it away from the main battle. Lili meets Josu in the mansion and uses the chain veil to un-lich him, but not before he gets some sick burns off about how she indirectly killed her whole family or whatever. The story ends with this fine bit of writing.

quote:

Her voice hard with fury, she said, "If Belzenlok thinks this will stop me, he's a fool. I will pry open his Stronghold, slaughter his grimnants, and destroy his legacy. No matter what it takes. If I must be a curse, then let me be Belzenlok's!"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

I definitely don't miss the old days of land and hand destruction being viable, pushed strategies

that hymn to tourach isn't modern legal is the worst thing about coming back to this game

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

TheChirurgeon posted:

Funny enough, one of the only times I ever 4-0'ed a standard FNM was back in the days of CHK-RAV standard + 9th, running RG Magnivore. A Ponza type, I guess. It was always my favorite strategy; but playing against an extremely viable RG Ponza in Modern, I've suddenly realized how lovely I was probably making my opponents feel.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Buffis posted:

If we're talking dumb things played a long time ago, the one play I remember was:
1. Land, Sol Ring -> Winter Orb
2. Land, Icy Manipulator

That was a good one, when I discovered my old deck it had one of each those artifacts.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mossyfisk posted:

Having fun with Enigma Drake in Arena. 'Insult, attack with drake, Fling drake' catches a lot of opponents by surprise.

It is still fun in current standard as well, except no one plays standard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

They were viable when everything was poo poo and cost infinity to cast, try either of them now and you’ll get flattened.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TheKingofSprings posted:

They were viable when everything was poo poo and cost infinity to cast, try either of them now and you’ll get flattened.

yes, this is why I referred to them as "the old days"

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

InterrupterJones posted:

Funny enough, one of the only times I ever 4-0'ed a standard FNM was back in the days of CHK-RAV standard + 9th, running RG Magnivore. A Ponza type, I guess. It was always my favorite strategy; but playing against an extremely viable RG Ponza in Modern, I've suddenly realized how lovely I was probably making my opponents feel.

During Mirrodin-Kamigawa standard I played mono-red Slith Firewalker/Arc-Slogger Ponza. Another local was on Tooth and Nail. After about a month and a half of being paired with him in the first round of two FNMs a week (TO software was obviously a beta for the MTGO shuffler) he just started preemptively scooping to me because his time was better spent drinking than never making Tron.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

A Moose posted:

So the beta forums are actually talking about boycotting arena because they removed the 1 Mythic Wild Card from the Vault that you get from opening duplicates of cards. Now the only way to get the mythics you want are from opening them, or opening a Mythic wild card in a pack and the REEEEEEEing is deafening. People are unbelievably pissed that they can't have a full playset of every mythic rare on day 1 or something. I haven't played magic in a while, but aren't mythics usually garbage 7-mana commander fodder?

you are incredibly wrong. t1 decks run over 10 mythics in some cases and this will absolutely wreck Arena

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

During Mirrodin-Kamigawa standard I played mono-red Slith Firewalker/Arc-Slogger Ponza. Another local was on Tooth and Nail. After about a month and a half of being paired with him in the first round of two FNMs a week (TO software was obviously a beta for the MTGO shuffler) he just started preemptively scooping to me because his time was better spent drinking than never making Tron.

I loving loved playing that deck when T&N was meta. That was when I first started realizing how to play competitively and nothing felt better than blowing up my opponent's Tron while I slammed in with a Firewalker.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
neat! I like that very much

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
a good merfolk

be cool if that deck could get better

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Nothing about the Arena economy really
matters until we know how much it costs to draft and how much drafting pays out. They’re going to gently caress that up entirely, I can feel it.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

GonSmithe posted:

I loving loved playing that deck when T&N was meta. That was when I first started realizing how to play competitively and nothing felt better than blowing up my opponent's Tron while I slammed in with a Firewalker.

Sowing Salt was the best-named sideboard card ever. I had better results in standard after I switched to Big Red with sad robot, top and Shrapnel Blast instead of the LD package, though. My favorite story from that era was killing an opponent from 20 over the course of his end step and my turn with one Pulse of the Forge.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

tl;dr: cut a couple lands from your deck probably

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

quote:

Levar used his very essence to cast a spell shielding a small colony of merfolk called the Eliterates from Yawgmoth's death cloud. He gave his life in appreciation of beauty, and his final thoughts were that it was a worthy death.

neat.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So they took the idea from Eternal and implemented it the way it should have been implemented. I like it.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Wait, why are they... What the... But

So they're not working on implementing proper best-of-3 matches?!?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Gustav posted:

Wait, why are they... What the... But

So they're not working on implementing proper best-of-3 matches?!?

They are but currently only have best of ones turned on in the beta.

Be careful when cutting lands. When you mulligan it will not modify your draw it only does it for the opening draw.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Does that merfolk wizard kill Tarmogoyf?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Boco_T posted:

It remains a 0/1 so no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Boco_T posted:

It'd still be a 0/1