Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

William Buckland (12 March 1784 – 14 August 1856) had two passions in life: Fossils and eating his way through the animal kingdom. After having started this diet he visited a church who claimed to have the bones of Saint Rosalia, he looked at the bones and determined them to be bones from a goat. Later he visited another church who said that their floor were stained by the blood of martyrs, Buckland immediately started to lick the stains came the conclusion that the floor were in fact stained by bat urine. Finally he was presented the heart of Louis XIV, he exclaimed 'I have eaten many strange things, but have never eaten the heart of a king before' before eating it. He died of tuberculosis but he had managed to pick a burial spot before he passed on. After he died it was discovered an outcrop of jurassic limestone just below the ground and the gravediggers had to use explosives to dig his grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Alhazred posted:

William Buckland (12 March 1784 – 14 August 1856) had two passions in life: Fossils and eating his way through the animal kingdom. After having started this diet he visited a church who claimed to have the bones of Saint Rosalia, he looked at the bones and determined them to be bones from a goat. Later he visited another church who said that their floor were stained by the blood of martyrs, Buckland immediately started to lick the stains came the conclusion that the floor were in fact stained by bat urine. Finally he was presented the heart of Louis XIV, he exclaimed 'I have eaten many strange things, but have never eaten the heart of a king before' before eating it. He died of tuberculosis but he had managed to pick a burial spot before he passed on. After he died it was discovered an outcrop of jurassic limestone just below the ground and the gravediggers had to use explosives to dig his grave.

Limestone is full of fossils, isn’t it?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

dang, I'd be 3 for 3 if i knew how to paint

Historical fun fact:

The Holy Roman Empire was in fact holy, Roman, and an empire.

Spread the truth, brother!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

System Metternich posted:

Spread the truth, brother!

I've heard Charlemagne was a

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

Well today I learned the other meaning of facile!

But wow he sounds like a complete madman, bloodletting 100 patients a day.

"Rush estimated that the average person contained 25 pounds of blood and recommended that up to 80% be removed." An adult body actually contains less than half that amount :stare:

*taps forehead* can't die of blood diseases if you have no blood

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

chitoryu12 posted:

*taps forehead* can't die of blood diseases if you have no blood

poo poo thats true

Btw I came across this 1691 entry while looking for stuff re my family:

Paraphrase: "Doc Peder Jespersen enjoys tax freedom on 16 cartloads of flax yearly, etc" & "Mr. Muscles enjoys same freedom, etc"

Mr. Muscles might be a dude surnamed Musling ~ "clam", idk but its funny anyway

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Mar 11, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fun fact: the collapse of the western empire was not very impactful for the common folk and it's fair to say that the "barbarian" kingdoms that followed continued the roman tradition.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Fun fact: The collapse of the empire had a massive effect, but it happened over centuries, not on a specific day in 476.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

for the common folk

steinrokkan posted:

over centuries

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Fun fact: The collapse of the empire had a massive effect, but it happened over centuries, not on a specific day in 476.

You could make arguments that the Roman empire is still around; there's no one single "fall" and like every other empire it produced a bunch of successor states.

For most common folks there probably wasn't much of a change in most collapses beyond "you pay taxes to this guy now." In some cases it was "the guy you pay taxes to pays taxes to somebody else so I guess just keep being farmers like whatever."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

This is a semantic argument, the conditions were different for successive generations of common people, even if they were less observable by individuals.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You could argue that the main difference between Rome and China is that the empire long divided never united. It's not like China was a consistently unified state from 200BCE, nor was Rome perpetually under similar or singular governance.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Here is a good completely historically accurate song about Roman rule.

https://youtu.be/VXej6mbOVqs

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

steinrokkan posted:

Fun fact: nobody gave a single poo poo about Romulus Augustulus. The Roman Empire was still around at the time and continued existing unchallenged for centuries, until Irene killed Constantine VI in 797 and the west (aka the Frankish kingdom and the Papacy) and the east (literally everybody else from Spain to China) parted ways.

Even then, both still believed the Roman Empire was still around - Dante Alighieri, writing in the 1300s, has Justinian recount the history of the Empire in Paradise, and 476 passes without a mention.

Then the Enlightenment rolls around and everybody starts jacking themselves raw over pre-Christian Rome, leading to Gibbon picking 476 as the Year That Rome Fell so he could mark the entire thousand years of the Empire that followed as nothing but degeneration.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 02:10 on Mar 11, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In ancient Egypt onions were holy. People were buried with them, they were offered to the gods and invoked when they made oaths.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Also in Ancient Egypt, cats were considered holy animals. Supposedly, during the period of Roman rule, an official who had accidentally caused the death of one was beaten to death by an enraged mob. Centuries later, when the population had been islamified, farmers would grind up cat mummies found in old tombs and use them as fertiliser.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kopijeger posted:

Also in Ancient Egypt, cats were considered holy animals. Supposedly, during the period of Roman rule, an official who had accidentally caused the death of one was beaten to death by an enraged mob. Centuries later, when the population had been islamified, farmers would grind up cat mummies found in old tombs and use them as fertiliser.

But The Prophet, P.B.U.H., loved cats and once cut off the sleeve of his robe so as not to disturb a slumbering kitty.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Platystemon posted:

But The Prophet, P.B.U.H., loved cats and once cut off the sleeve of his robe so as not to disturb a slumbering kitty.

there was some ancient Chinese emperor who did that so as not to disturb his sleeping boyfriend

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Came across this drawing in the name index to some "small claims court" protocols (1830s).

Next to the soldier's foot is the word "Accordance" lol

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Darwin was also known for trying to eat his way through the animal kingdom.

From the Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2003/mar/09/foodanddrink.features15):

quote:

Darwin was an unusual gourmet. He had a distinctly scientific approach to eating and was never more satisfied than when digesting the rarest species known to the palate.

As a student at Cambridge, Darwin presided over the Glutton Club, which met weekly in order to seek out and eat 'strange flesh'. They tried hawk and bittern but the Gluttons chickened out after digesting a particularly stringy old brown owl, deciding to concentrate their studies on the effects of the port accompanying their meat instead.

Perhaps saddened by his fellow students' lack of inquisitiveness, Darwin was comforted once he set sail on the Beagle where he was willingly fed armadillos, which 'taste & look like duck', and an unnamed, 20lb chocolate-coloured rodent which, he announced, was 'the best meat I ever tasted'.

His only culinary and professional faux pas was one Christmas when he realised that the fowl he was eating was an extremely rare 'petise'. Darwin jumped up in the middle of the meal and tried to scrape together the remaining wing, head and neck for experiments.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Afriscipio posted:

Darwin was also known for trying to eat his way through the animal kingdom.

From the Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2003/mar/09/foodanddrink.features15):

You also Tarrare who would eat anything.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Alhazred posted:

quote:

After being suspected of eating a toddler he was ejected from the hospital.

kinda buried the lede there, wikipedia

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Alhazred posted:

Jesus Christ

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

verbal enema posted:

Jesus Christ

Yes, you can assume that as a Frenchman in the 1700s, he was Catholic.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Platystemon posted:

One of Muhammad's companions was so well known for his love of cats that his nickname was 'Abu Hurayrah', 'the father of kittens'. His actual name is subject to dispute... so a fair number of the hadith (accounts) of the Prophet's words and actions are essentially attributed to "You know, that guy with all the cats!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hedningen posted:

Yes, you can assume that as a Frenchman in the 1700s, he was Catholic.

I thought I read somewhere that a lot of Tarrare stuff is kinda hearsay and he was probably just a regular dude with a weird appetite. Like he didn't actually run around eating garbage cans full of intestines, or fight dogs over roadkill, or eat a toddler, but may have stole and snuck food and whatnot.

edit:

Then again, there was this guy too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Domery

Maybe it was just how people were back then?

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Mar 23, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Maybe he was from their Florida.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Under Louis XIV, Versailles was the site of nearly constant dinners, feasts, parties and so on. Enormous amounts of food were prepared for these soirees. But instead of going to waste, leftover food was either given or sold to some local peasants, who set up food booths outside the chateau. So for less than the cost of home cooking, you could pick up remains from a Royal feast and eat in style.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Khazar-khum posted:

Under Louis XIV, Versailles was the site of nearly constant dinners, feasts, parties and so on. Enormous amounts of food were prepared for these soirees. But instead of going to waste, leftover food was either given or sold to some local peasants, who set up food booths outside the chateau. So for less than the cost of home cooking, you could pick up remains from a Royal feast and eat in style.
See? Trickle-down economics work!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

London has rented a couple of properties from The Crown since the 13th century. Nobody knows where they are, but the city still pays rent annually of: a sharp axe, a dull knife, six large horseshoes, and sixty one nails.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/london-is-still-paying-rent-to-the-queen-on-a-property-leased-in-1211

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nth Doctor posted:

London has rented a couple of properties from The Crown since the 13th century. Nobody knows where they are, but the city still pays rent annually of: a sharp axe, a dull knife, six large horseshoes, and sixty one nails.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/london-is-still-paying-rent-to-the-queen-on-a-property-leased-in-1211

I bet the guy who haggled the 61st nail out of London felt really smug about his negotiating skills

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nth Doctor posted:

Ok ok yeah but what about the guy whose rent is that he has to fight anyone the king wants him to

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Nth Doctor posted:

I know that Gormenghast is British as gently caress but didn't know it was a documentary.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Straight White Shark posted:

I bet the guy who haggled the 61st nail out of London felt really smug about his negotiating skills

If you look at how English currency worked, it was probably the equivalent to a shilling or something.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I've always wondered what the Queen actually does with all that poo poo in the modern era.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

mojo1701a posted:

If you look at how English currency worked, it was probably the equivalent to a shilling or something.

Seven and a half groats, actually.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Elyv posted:

I've always wondered what the Queen actually does with all that poo poo in the modern era.

The royal family owns both land and horses so I imagine the tools and nails would go to some groundkeeper and the horse shoes would just go to the stables. A billhook, an axe and some nails are all still useful if you're maintaining some sprawling country estate.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Phy posted:

Ok ok yeah but what about the guy whose rent is that he has to fight anyone the king wants him to

i would 100% abuse that if i were royalty.
"as your rent you must fight boris johnson until he pees his pants in fear"

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i would 100% abuse that if i were royalty.
"as your rent you must fight boris johnson until he pees his pants in fear"

Hell I'd pay for a chance to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought I read somewhere that a lot of Tarrare stuff is kinda hearsay and he was probably just a regular dude with a weird appetite. Like he didn't actually run around eating garbage cans full of intestines, or fight dogs over roadkill, or eat a toddler, but may have stole and snuck food and whatnot.

edit:

Then again, there was this guy too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Domery

Maybe it was just how people were back then?

Yeah, I’m not commenting on authenticity, just making a terrible joke. As it was indicated that Tararre would eat anything, the immediate response of “Jesus Christ” was then, in a failed attempt at pithy humor, deliberately misinterpreted as a question and linked with the Catholic belief of transubstantiation to indicate that yes, it is likely that he had eaten Jesus Christ according to those circumstances.