Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

my dude, i wouldn’t believe it either had i not seen it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

President Beep posted:

a friend of mine once took one of those “which author are you most like” quizzes and posted the results to facebook on a lark. the two authors were stephen kind and david foster wallace. i made a similar joke about lobsters, and it just sucked the virtual air out of the room.

mlyp

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jonny 290 posted:

Normally, i'd laugh at you and say "gently caress you i'm in Denver forever", but you happen to pull this poo poo while I'm in a transitional period so I don't wanna say no, I wanna come visit. But I can't visit there, because I know i'd move there right away.. Besides, I've already been through too much poo poo this morning over this city to move away from this dumb poo poo.

seattle is very nice and the cascades are loving gorgeous, but i've visited a few times and pretty much concluded that yeah i could live there but i'd rather just visit regularly.

i know it is a cliche but seriously the rain and the lack of sun would just drive me nuts.

seattle:

Denver:

also holy poo poo is it expensive

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
i just looked up the hours of sunshine seattle gets annually and it's about 2.200. frankfurt doesn't even get 1.600 and i wouldn't have called the weather here bad or anything.

goddamn that's depressing

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

my apologies

jonny, go to Vancouver they got hella trolley buses

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

and they have so much TOUQUE

a good joke :canada:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shifty Pony posted:

seattle is very nice and the cascades are loving gorgeous, but i've visited a few times and pretty much concluded that yeah i could live there but i'd rather just visit regularly.

i know it is a cliche but seriously the rain and the lack of sun would just drive me nuts.

seattle:

Denver:

also holy poo poo is it expensive

growing up I always knew that pittsburgh was dreary but I always figured that portland & seattle were the top two by a wide margin. turns out we're only a day or two behind and everyone ELSE is behind by a wide margin

pittsburgh is the portland of appalachia

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

also i saw a real nice & small house pop up yesterday that was basically so perfect that i got an email from my realtor while i was writing one to him saying i wanted to check it out.

it was bought up in a day :sigh:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

just strap shaggar to the front of your car, when you hear the 108 dB screeching, a bicycle is ahead

lmfao

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
seattle is also further north than all of maine so we get less sunshine in the winter than most of the rest of the country. it sucks when it starts getting dark at like 4:30. summer rules here though. it's mostly loving gorgeous and almost never too hot

but yeah the cost of living and traffic both suck balls

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
theranos was amazing

quote:

It was November 2014, and I was working on a feature story about a buzzed-about blood-testing company in Silicon Valley that promised to “disrupt” the lab industry with new technology. The company, Theranos, claimed its revolutionary finger-prick test would be a cheap and less painful way to screen for hundreds of diseases with just a few drops of blood.

Old-fashioned venous blood draws, where the patient watches as vial after vial of blood is collected, would quickly become obsolete, Theranos promised.

The interviews took a month to arrange. The public relations officer wanted to know, did I “plan on sourcing other people?” and implied that CEO Elizabeth Holmes might not be available to me if I did talk to other sources. I rejected that condition, but finally the company’s public relations contacts agreed to let me visit its site at the Walgreens in Palo Alto, California — one of the first such setups in the country — followed by a sit-down interview with Holmes at her office.

I arrived at the Walgreens on the morning of November 4 and was met by two Theranos press representatives who would supervise my visit. I took out my recording equipment (the story was for NPR) and began approaching patients who were waiting in line to check in for testing.

Some didn’t want to talk to a reporter, but others were open and gracious, sharing with me the reasons they had decided to give Theranos a try. One couple offered to let me come with them into the small testing room, set up to feel like a relaxing spa.

A pattern quickly emerged — none of the patients I talked to that day could get a finger-prick test, as promised. Instead, they received a regular venous blood draw, the same as I’d received on numerous occasions at my doctor’s office, though the phlebotomist said the needle was slightly smaller.

I asked the phlebotomist: Was this standard? Did most patients get the venous draw? She told me they “did more finger sticks than venous draws,” but couldn’t give me a number. One of the PR people approached me — I was not authorized to talk to the phlebotomist, he said — and asked me to erase the audio I had recorded. I declined.

I asked him: Why were none of the patients getting a finger prick? Just bad luck and timing, he said. This wasn’t how it usually was, he promised. And wouldn’t I just rather get a finger prick myself and report on the experience, as so many other journalists had agreed to do?

I said no. I needed an actual patient to make a compelling radio story. So I continued waiting for other patients.

Soon, the two Theranos representatives approached me again — with a third on the phone, who said she wanted to talk to me. They were getting complaints about my asking patients questions, she told me. The main Theranos office had gotten several calls from people who had been in the Walgreens that morning, she claimed, complaining that a reporter was bothering them.

I hadn’t pressured anyone. The patients I’d interviewed had all been perfectly friendly and willing. I’ve also been a health reporter for 10 years and never have I been told I was pushing patients to do something that made them uncomfortable.

Something seemed very wrong.

Soon, one of the Theranos representatives approached me again, clearly nervous. They appeared worried. Unless I found a patient getting a finger prick, he said, they would likely have to cancel my interview with Holmes.

It was clearly a threat to try to steer me away from where the story was taking me: Theranos seemed to be doing very few, if any, of its revolutionary tests on actual patients. I asked the press representatives to get the other one on the phone again; I didn’t like being threatened, and I wanted to hash it out with her.

Meanwhile, I sat down with another couple, who had driven 45 minutes to experience the vaunted finger prick. Would they too be steered to a traditional blood test?

As I was interviewing them — but before we knew which test they could get — a sudden and jolting BEEP BEEP BEEP reverberated through the drugstore. “Fire alarm!” someone called out, and we evacuated to the street.

I’d never been in a drugstore when the fire alarm went off. There was no smoke and no fire.
tl;dr in 2014 a reporter goes to walgreens to write a story about this amazing new fingerprick blood draw, doesnt actually see anyone getting the fingerprick blood draw, and the when they keep asking why all the blood draws are standard draw, the fire alarm goes off and everyone runs away

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

just strap shaggar to the front of your car, when you hear the 108 dB screeching, a bicycle is ahead

also lmfao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Farmdizzle posted:

seattle is also further north than all of maine so we get less sunshine in the winter than most of the rest of the country. it sucks when it starts getting dark at like 4:30. summer rules here though. it's mostly loving gorgeous and almost never too hot

but yeah the cost of living and traffic both suck balls

getting dark at 4pm is the worst part of the winter in maine. but yeah summer rules

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

i got stoned wrong thred

this thread is always the right thread friend :unsmith:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FMguru posted:

theranos was amazing

tl;dr in 2014 a reporter goes to walgreens to write a story about this amazing new fingerprick blood draw, doesnt actually see anyone getting the fingerprick blood draw, and the when they keep asking why all the blood draws are standard draw, the fire alarm goes off and everyone runs away

that's some goofy sitcom poo poo :allears:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Shifty Pony posted:

lol this is the portrait goodkind insists on using in his cover flap author bio:

lomarf

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FMguru posted:

theranos was amazing

for as long as i live i will always fondly remember the day the economist revised their assessment of holmes' net worth to effectively zero.

ate all the Oreos posted:

that's some goofy sitcom poo poo :allears:

that is some loving george costanza poo poo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that is the look of a man who can't wait to show you his katana skills

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
the wsj has story about how the backup driver of the autonomous car has a criminal record...aka he's no angel

https://twitter.com/AthertonKD/status/977158464530083840

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 23, 2018

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

that is the look of a man who can't wait to show you his katana skills

he's a garbagehuman

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/feb/26/terry-goodkind-book-cover-shroud-of-eternity

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
even ars technica thinks there's something up with the video uber released

poor calibration or hamfisted attempt at pr?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

FMguru posted:

theranos was amazing

Ahahaha holy poo poo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Ahahaha holy poo poo

yeah I didn't quote that post but I should have, super lol

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

FMguru posted:

theranos was amazing

Just remember that all it takes to build a multibillion dollar practice is well-placed lies and the right connections

e: note that I did not say they even had to be good lies

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

FMguru posted:

theranos was amazing

when a reporter harasses me in safeway I call the ceo of general mills and get an immediate response

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/random_walker/status/976836626121977858

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

theranos was amazing

is that supposed to be the same kind of fingerprick like what they do to test for iron count before donating blood? because last couple of times i've had small blood draws done for testing by trained phlebotomists, the needle they used was less painful than the goddamn prick.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

is that supposed to be the same kind of fingerprick like what they do to test for iron count before donating blood? because last couple of times i've had small blood draws done for testing by trained phlebotomists, the needle they used was less painful than the goddamn prick.

no part of theranos' pitch made any sense. it was the purest "market the idea first, then invent it" horseshit that they teach in $200,000 MBA programs in courses with titles like "Innovation and Disruption"

as far as i can tell it went like this

holmes: "what if you could do all the blood tests anyone would ever need with just a single drop from their fingertip?"
holmes' professors: "that would be great, but the science doesn't bear it out."
holmes: *gives TED talk*
pigeon: *spots tortilla chip*

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

but it works for diabetics so it obviously works for everything!!!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i never understood what the big (alleged) win was for theranos technology. being able to do a bunch of tests on a single drop of blood instead of three test tubes worth is...nice, i guess? a slight improvement in the quality of life for people who get blood drawn regularly? it doesnt seem like it actually improves medical outcomes at all, the way a new drug or vaccine or surgical procedure or treatment would. it just makes part of a regular diagnostic procedure somewhat less unpleasant.

its something along the lines of a new coating that makes pills easier to swallow. not exactly the sort of genius breakthrough that would make someone a billionaire and put their face on every magazine cover

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shifty Pony posted:

lol this is the portrait goodkind insists on using in his cover flap author bio:

lol at all the airbrushing on his hair

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

FMguru posted:

i never understood what the big (alleged) win was for theranos technology. being able to do a bunch of tests on a single drop of blood instead of three test tubes worth is...nice, i guess? a slight improvement in the quality of life for people who get blood drawn regularly? it doesnt seem like it actually improves medical outcomes at all, the way a new drug or vaccine or surgical procedure or treatment would. it just makes part of a regular diagnostic procedure somewhat less unpleasant.

its something along the lines of a new coating that makes pills easier to swallow. not exactly the sort of genius breakthrough that would make someone a billionaire and put their face on every magazine cover

It's not just the comfort thing, it's having all the tests run by the same company and same device, ostensibly cutting out a lot of expensive equipment/handling procedures

Of course it was all hooey so it's a moot point

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

it was supposed to be a massive cost savings

instead of sending boxes of tubes to a pathology lab, you would just install a theranos device in every doctor's office / nurse's office / pharmacy and do cheap tests on the spot

turns out pathology labs actually like, do important stuff. and it's hard to replace them. oops

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my aunt managed the chem lab in a hospital until she retired and thought theranos was an impossibly crazy idea from the beginning lol

the lab is actually pretty automated already though, they put the tubes on this machine that then scans their code and puts em' on a conveyor, and the conveyor routes them to different other machines based on what test needs to be done. i was visiting when they were first setting it up so that was fun to see in its test mode

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

FMguru posted:

i never understood what the big (alleged) win was for theranos technology. being able to do a bunch of tests on a single drop of blood instead of three test tubes worth is...nice, i guess?

less training, cheaper/no staff => blood tests everywhere

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh also all the samples arrive at the lab via pneumatic tube so people don't have to run them all the way across the hospital, which was super duper fun to see since they had like, the "hub" tube station there in the lab or w/e

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

my aunt managed the chem lab in a hospital until she retired and thought theranos was an impossibly crazy idea from the beginning lol

the lab is actually pretty automated already though, they put the tubes on this machine that then scans their code and puts em' on a conveyor, and the conveyor routes them to different other machines based on what test needs to be done. i was visiting when they were first setting it up so that was fun to see in its test mode

was it a labview/national instruments rube goldberg or is there actually enough of a market that its real equipment?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lancemantis posted:

was it a labview/national instruments rube goldberg or is there actually enough of a market that its real equipment?

i mean i don't remember who made it or w/e but it did seem like it was made as modular parts that hooked together rather than something built as a one-off, and it looked like it had actually been thought about rather than just being a bunch of old products glued together, so i guess the latter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
fight! fight! fight!

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/977225964764643328