Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

TheKingofSprings posted:

It remains a 0/1 so no
But isn't the part that sets the toughness to "card types plus one" the ability text?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Boco_T posted:

Does that merfolk wizard kill Tarmogoyf?

no but it does turn it into a card that dies to damage based sweepers

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Boco_T posted:

But isn't the part that sets the toughness to "card types plus one" the ability text?

The * is the part that varies, the 1 is constant and will always be there.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Boco_T posted:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Boco_T posted:

Does that merfolk wizard kill Tarmogoyf?

say what now

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm so glad Dominaria isn't a post-apocalyptic wasteland this time around.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I mean it can neuter Goyf and then block it profitably, which is pretty close to just killing it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
This is the first time that removing p/t-setting characteristic defining abilities is likely to come up in practice, right? All the other ways to remove the ability either explicitly give it some other p/t, or are too convoluted to actually come up outside of judge brainteasers (e.g. Conspiracy+Life and Limb+Blood Moon shenanigans).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What is kinda funny is that it absolutely smokes Master of Etherium

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheKingofSprings posted:

reasonable for storm too, flash in on upkeep, neuter baral/electromancer. gl going off bro!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

AlternateNu posted:

Seriously, Nighthand. Mock up this with Please Clap in the bottom right with the Ixalan font, and I'll buy us both one.

To get good quality, we'd need 3675 x 2175 @ 150 PPI.

I made a bigger version but the source for Jeb is blurry because it's small and I can't find a better one. Also I have no fuckin' clue what the Ixalan font would be and I have nothing remotely similar installed. If someone can rectify those two issues I can throw a better one together, probably.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

What's even funnier is that it kills Maro.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Madmarker posted:

I have gone turn 1 on the play Swamp, Dark Rit, Dark Rit, Dark Rit, Mind Twist before
.my brother wasnt very happy with me

Double Dark Rit - Hymn, Hippy was loving brutal.

It happened so often that I am now sure everyone I played with was a loving cheater.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Elyv posted:

tl;dr: cut a couple lands from your deck probably

The key numbers to know are that 22 lands is where 3 lands becomes more likely than 2, and 26 lands is where 4 lands becomes more likely than 2. These are pretty dramatic breakpoints.

A Moose posted:

But how much grinding SHOULD it take for a F2P player to have a complete tier 1 deck? Also one of the devs mentioned on the beta forums that every pack you open raises your odds of getting a mythic wild card a little extra, so there is a floor for mythics.

This is a bad take. All the evidence from other games points to wanting to start off with pretty generous f2p to get as large a pop as possible and make the money off whales. f2p players should be able to create a few tier 1 decks a season, so they are still interested in the game by the end of it.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I can't help but think that this Merfolk Colony is just a bunch of underwater hillbillies with a name like "Eliterates."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mikujin posted:

I can't help but think that this Merfolk Colony is just a bunch of underwater hillbillies with a name like "Eliterates."

Don't do this to me.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Count Bleck posted:

Don't do this to me.

Eliterate Leader Confirmed to be this guy

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mikujin posted:

Please no.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

It's OK, it's actually Early Cuyler

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Mikujin posted:

Alternatively, it seems the Simic guild has gotten to Dominaria before the Gatewatch. :science:

Edit: Also the new Merfolk color identity is UG.... :thunk:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I figured out what Eliterate means!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mikujin posted:

Why are you this way

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Mikujin posted:

:allears:

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Count Bleck posted:

Why are you this way

Wait till you see my "early with "asbestos I can" hat" alter

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

PleasantDirge posted:

Wait till you see my "early with "asbestos I can" hat" alter

Spanish foil with "no habla jibber jabber" hat.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The key numbers to know are that 22 lands is where 3 lands becomes more likely than 2, and 26 lands is where 4 lands becomes more likely than 2. These are pretty dramatic breakpoints.

This is a bad take. All the evidence from other games points to wanting to start off with pretty generous f2p to get as large a pop as possible and make the money off whales. f2p players should be able to create a few tier 1 decks a season, so they are still interested in the game by the end of it.

The game isn't out yet though, this is a brand new untested economy and they're giving ~7 packs a week if you do all the quests. That seems pretty generous.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A Moose posted:

The game isn't out yet though, this is a brand new untested economy and they're giving ~7 packs a week if you do all the quests. That seems pretty generous.

Its really not. The packs sizes are small and without wildcards showing up for rare and mythic this is just basically a powered up sealed league.

Or you are numot and get the devs to hook you up and your mono red has 4 hazorets.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Think about numots life and ask yourself if it's worth it

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

A Moose posted:

How does that seem generous? If you don't get lucky, you grind for a couple months to get a single t1 deck that gets wiped a little bit later. If you are lucky, you can get two overlapping ones, or maybe even three with one that's different.

They'd be way better off by giving everybody easier access to cards until they implement the store, draft, and any other key components of the economy they want to test.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Modern question - I just got my playset of SSGs and I want to do the most infuriating degenerate poo poo possible with them, blood moon, spreading seas, and chalices. What's the best shell to build around this nonsense?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

How does that seem generous? If you don't get lucky, you grind for a couple months to get a single t1 deck that gets wiped a little bit later. If you are lucky, you can get two overlapping ones, or maybe even three with one that's different.

They'd be way better off by giving everybody easier access to cards until they implement the store, draft, and any other key components of the economy they want to test.

how much people will grind to get new cards is a key component of the economy they want to test

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Necronomicon posted:

Modern question - I just got my playset of SSGs and I want to do the most infuriating degenerate poo poo possible with them, blood moon, spreading seas, and chalices. What's the best shell to build around this nonsense?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/against-the-odds-12-moon-modern

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Necronomicon posted:

17 Mountain
1 Mutavault
3 Gemstone Caverns
2 Walking Ballista
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Magus of the Moon
4 Simian Spirit Guide
1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
1 Koth of the Hammer
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Ensnaring Bridge
4 Blood Moon
2 Abrade
4 Desperate Ritual
1 Pyretic Ritual
2 Slagstorm

Sideboard
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Torpor Orb
1 Spellskite
3 Eidolon of the Great Revel
1 Boil
1 Hazoret the Fervent
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Shattering Spree

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Hitting a turn one lock with this seems like one of the scummiest - but also most satisfying - things you can do in Modern.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

evilweasel posted:

how much people will grind to get new cards is a key component of the economy they want to test

But that's not testable when it's going to be wiped, when they don't have real formats (or even bo3 not-standard), and when there is no other option. It's terrible experiment design, you have too many confounds.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
From a dev on the beta forums

quote:

The chances of receiving a wildcard increases with each pack opened, until the probability reaches 100% - it is not cumulative probability, but rather, actual percent of appearance in the pack that is being opened.

This is done by rarity - so obtaining a Mythic Rare Wildcard doesn't reset your probability of receiving a Rare, Uncommon, or Common Wildcard.

As stated earlier, numbers are not final yet, so we're not ready to disclose the probabilities.

-X

They also say when the game goes to open beta and they start taking money the drop rates will all be made public

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tainen posted:

From a dev on the beta forums

They also say when the game goes to open beta and they start taking money the drop rates will all be made public

They are trying to get ahead of the laws being made for that I am sure.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

They are trying to get ahead of the laws being made for that I am sure.

They already have them on the back of physical boosters

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

No Spreading Seas, but maybe that's overkill (and the rest of the deck is totally viable in a monored shell). Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i'm sorry but what

https://twitter.com/defozzi4u/status/977260838619885568

the hottest take in magic