Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I've had so many monarch points I'm constantly having to spend them on development because I am at the cap. So I just buy a lot of techs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

How? The only way to get more than the default trickle is through random events or buying techs way ahead of time, which is usually a huge waste. I guess maybe be the first country to buy ADM 5 and get an idea group unlocked?

I just think a lot of people don't play speed map painting so they have a lot of extra monarch points?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

Apparently this is a thing that can happen?

Well, enjoy some extremely easy eastward expansion, I guess.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Yolomancer posted:

There's a bug with the English 'Strategic Control' mission in the new DLC.

It worked for me:

This is basically the new mission system version of the old Occupy Paris mission. To fulfill it you have to be at war with France and siege down their capital. You must then click the complete mission button before making peace.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drakhoran posted:

It worked for me:

This is basically the new mission system version of the old Occupy Paris mission. To fulfill it you have to be at war with France and siege down their capital. You must then click the complete mission button before making peace.

If that's the case, then while the mission may not be bugged, the wording of the requirements for the completion of it is at best ambiguous and at worst, completely misleading. It states that the "Province Controller" must either be allied to, or a subject of England. If France is your junior partner in a PU, they are your subject. And if they own Paris, they by definition control it.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Groogy posted:

Yah I agree

paradox_dlc.txt

Player: "I feel like this is an oversight"
Dev: "agreed"

Patch maybe (if lucky) fixes it, Paradox makes no effort to playtest next DLC to fix obvious issue, repeat. :v:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Beamed posted:

paradox_dlc.txt

Player: "I feel like this is an oversight"
Dev: "agreed"

Patch maybe (if lucky) fixes it, Paradox makes no effort to playtest next DLC to fix obvious issue, repeat. :v:

Yes, Paradox games are of course famous for being the only software ever released to have a bug in them.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

AnoHito posted:

Yes, Paradox games are of course famous for being the only software ever released to have a bug in them.

Who said that? If you want to pretend to fanboy, were you around for the EU2 patches, when things were way worse?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I've noticed that my army is terrible at fighting. Thankfully I have a lot more money than anyone else and throwing 3-4x the numbers at someone else normally solves that issue. Waiting until my 6th idea group to take a military idea group might have something to do with it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

cheesetriangles posted:

I've noticed that my army is terrible at fighting. Thankfully I have a lot more money than anyone else and throwing 3-4x the numbers at someone else normally solves that issue. Waiting until my 6th idea group to take a military idea group might have something to do with it.

Scotland, 1500. England keeps making me spend all my cash, manpower, and go into stupid amounts of debt over border wars that end in a status quo when we both run out of cash and manpower. Realistic, I guess. Unfortunately I’m only MIL 7 and they’re MIL 9 - I need a way bigger army to stomp theirs.

England’s been mostly booted off the continent and I have all but one Irish province so our forcelimits are the same. Fortunately, France and Castile are always down to beat up on the English but they never cross the Channel to help me out.

I guess I need to go Quantity and take any advantage I can get to steal England’s last Irish province.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If you're already two military techs behind them, it sounds like you should be fixing that before you add military ideas to the mix.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Scotland, 1500. England keeps making me spend all my cash, manpower, and go into stupid amounts of debt over border wars that end in a status quo when we both run out of cash and manpower. Realistic, I guess. Unfortunately I’m only MIL 7 and they’re MIL 9 - I need a way bigger army to stomp theirs.

England’s been mostly booted off the continent and I have all but one Irish province so our forcelimits are the same. Fortunately, France and Castile are always down to beat up on the English but they never cross the Channel to help me out.

I guess I need to go Quantity and take any advantage I can get to steal England’s last Irish province.

Yeah I'm kinda the opposite of that. I have 3500 Development and just throwing bodies at every problem until it goes away. Every war I fight I end up with half a million men dead. I just hit tech 23 and unlocked advance CB's so that should be fun to mess with.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Gort posted:

If you're already two military techs behind them, it sounds like you should be fixing that before you add military ideas to the mix.

They got Renaissance fast thanks to Austria while I had to wait for it to spread, basically.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Oh neat, subject nations get their missions as well. I guess that is just more free wars for me.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Beamed posted:

You don't want to see how the game would look without any effort.
But yeah we totally don't do any effort play testing at all, part of it is totally not even live streamed where you get to see us before release to find issues and patch poo poo for next week.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Groogy posted:

But yeah we totally don't do any effort play testing at all, part of it is totally not even live streamed.

Groogy can you add a nag reminder for expiring claims. When you have so many permanent claims the you have claims nag reminder becomes kind worthless.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Oh yeah, I always found the alert for claims in EU4 to be a bit unnecessary since in Eu4 compared to EU3 you kind of... always have claims. Might just change it to just be like Truce about to expire alert.
Or just that the alert for it doesn't check for permanent claims since they are permanent.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Does the old monarch points generation by swapping between oligarchic republic and merchant republic still work, or has that been patched out?

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006
Found a small error in the Ottoman mission tree. To unlock the mission to conquer Trebizond, you must own Trebizond. This due to that the previous mission requires all of Erzurum to complete.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My second Scotland attempt is going much better. I managed to grab all of Ireland except for Leinster which England stole and they force vassalized Ulster (the one with the strait lol). Currently mopping up the last independent minor but they're allied to Palpatine or something in the middle of the HRE and landlocked so it's going to take a while. England meanwhile decided to invade Brittany but managed to fail so horribly they returned my core on Mann in the peace deal.

One obvious downside of not allying France is that it kinda locks me out off a ton of missions. But it also means I'm not having to take on the entire English army completely alone every time they go to war with each other.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is scotland still small enough to join the hre after taking east frisia

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Holy poo poo the game gave me the 100 tradition general event in exchange for some legitimacy and prestige. :stare:

Ahahahaha! :getin: Burn! Burn! Burn! Give me 100 warscore you weaklings! London belongs to the Scots now.

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 23, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Spotted another resurgent AI Byzantium in my new game:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Spotted another resurgent AI Byzantium in my new game:

Cool.

:v:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Groogy posted:

But yeah we totally don't do any effort play testing at all, part of it is totally not even live streamed where you get to see us before release to find issues and patch poo poo for next week.

I launch the Sengoku I bought if I want the Paradox game without any effort. ;)

I used to watch the dev streams, too, but when stuff that really should be obvious flies under the radar like that, I dunno, people are gonna say things like that, especially when they're an industry leader like Paradox is.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

They got Renaissance fast thanks to Austria while I had to wait for it to spread, basically.

You don't need to wait for an institution to tech up. Being two MIL techs behind a more powerful neighbor is a recipe for disaster.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

You don't need to wait for an institution to tech up. Being two MIL techs behind a more powerful neighbor is a recipe for disaster.

You only really need to spend MIL when you need manpower desperately, and to tech up, so it's fine to burn extra points when you haven't embraced an institution, yeah.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The only techs I ever buy if I have a significant instituiton penalty are mil techs, and admin if it will unlock another NI set. Otherwise you might as well get the development train rolling.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nah there are tons of things to spend MIL points on. MIL ideas of course, but also boosting professionalism, forced marches, boosting absolutism, artillery barrages, and just general development. Artillery barrages in particular are really great. In most of my games I almost always have MIL focus on all the time.

But even if there are plenty of things to spend MIL points on, you still shouldn't let yourself lag two whole levels behind your neighbors. Military parity is priority #1.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Nah there are tons of things to spend MIL points on. MIL ideas of course, but also boosting professionalism, forced marches, boosting absolutism, artillery barrages, and just general development. Artillery barrages in particular are really great. In most of my games I almost always have MIL focus on all the time.

But even if there are plenty of things to spend MIL points on, you still shouldn't let yourself lag two whole levels behind your neighbors. Military parity is priority #1.

Boosting professionalism was the one I was referencing above, but I totally forgot you can boost absolutism with it too.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Groogy posted:

The sad part is this makes it look even worse than if you hadn't put any effort in.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Is the byz resurge happening because the ottomans don't get a free claim?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

cheesetriangles posted:

Apparently this is a thing that can happen?

Happened in one of my games a while back. Wasn't because of anything I did but I got the achievement anyway.

Wasn't really in a position to exploit the situation and the game went to pot for unrelated reasons somewhat later so I didn't get to see the long-term effects, but in the medium term what happened was mostly that a bunch of OPMs got eaten so there was a decreasing number of growing states in the area.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cheen posted:

In my case it's because of cheating to cripple them because they're so boring to always see blob out unstoppably. :)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Cheen posted:

Ottoman failure was a preexisting thing due to the Albania-Venice alliance, Byz coming out on top more frequently is almost certainly due to missions making them more aggressive.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Rynoto posted:

The sad part is this makes it look even worse than if you hadn't put any effort in.

Software has bugs dude, don't be a dick.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I expect perfection for my 10 whole dollars

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Eldred posted:

Software has bugs dude, don't be a dick.

No you bastard you don't get it!!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

I expect perfection for my 10 whole dollars

Well then you spent your :10bux: on the wrong forum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

With transfer trade power and trade steering, does trade steering NOT work if the person you force it on would have to steer out of their home node? Like for example would I be able to force Lubeck to steer out of Lubeck to English Channel? Or do I have to do transfer 50% of trade power.

It seemed like when I force the Mamluks to trade steer to me, they just kept on collecting in Alexandria and sent nothing my way.