Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kawabata posted:

yes but it's almost like MH World loads twice as much for obscure reasons

Twice as much as what? The fact is there's lots of stuff to load, and it takes time to load it. The game tries to load as much as it can while in town, but it probably just can't load everything until getting to a dedicated loading screen. It's not like Capcom is wringing their hands going LET'S MAKE TWO LOADING SCREENS! nor is it likely that their programmers are hilariously incompetent (the game is very stable and bug free). It's likely that this is literally the best they can do with the amount of data that needs preparing. Not only does the game need to load levels, monsters, etc, but it also needs to prepare things for online connectivity too - ensure that it shows up on quest listing, ensuring that others can connect to it, etc. Capcom does some dumb things but this isn't really being very fair to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

There's also a limit to how much you can pre-load while astera is still using memory.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

I've definitely trapped Tzatziki Sauce in the weird ground traps in Coral Highlands.
Maybe because they work identically to the pitfall traps? The other environmental traps I've tried like vines and such never work.

Squidtentacle posted:

If you trip a monster there, instead of falling over, it'll get trapped. I thiiiink this may also happen with flinching in general, but I know it happens with falling over.
Probably flinching in general, it only takes a few good hits to get them to fall down. With something like a hammer you can just keep knocking them down over and over and over and it's great :allears:

Kawabata posted:

lmao

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I always assume any "loading" messages or progress bars are 100% lies and have no relation to what is actually going on in the background. They just exist so people don't hard restart their machines 10 seconds into every load assuming the game crashed.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Kawabata posted:

Please dont get all salty about things you don't understand.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Chewbot posted:

Please dont get all salty about things you don't understand.

ok I suppose complaints about mh world loading times are unwarranted then, duly noted :)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Baron posted:

After 300 hours, I'm still learning new things. For example, today I learned that the food vouchers give you 100% chance to activate your food skill. Which is peachy to get moxie or some of the carving bonuses. Also, the new low rank event with 3 monsters drops vouchers! Time to farm up a million of them!

You can also bring Poogie up to the Handler's table to pick up a Voucher just about 100% of the time. Alternatively, you can run up the stairs, accept a quest from the Handler, eat at the table, and Poogie will be a good way up the stairs by that point.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Kawabata posted:

ok I suppose complaints about mh world loading times are unwarranted then, duly noted :)

1) They're not that bad, 2) You're making up nonsense about why the loading takes as long as it does (Why didn't Capcom ever think about not loading twice?!), 3) Capcom's stated they're working to reduce the loading time in a patch.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kawabata posted:

nah the loading is pretty annoying (at least coming from PC games) but your complaint was still pretty dumb

it's okay to just say that the loading is bothering you but don't try to blame it on something you don't understand, you know?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Fuzz posted:

To be fair, it'd be hard to fit him on most maps. There are only 2 maps with water (if you count the mud), and of those two there's basically only 2 areas in each where Lagi will even physically fit in the zone.

You'd only really need him to fit in Ancient Forest, and have him use the ocean to travel between 1 and 4. Wildspire would be far too dry for Lagi, even with the river and mud area.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Chewbot posted:

3) Capcom's stated they're working to reduce the loading time in a patch.

1) yes they are, 2) ???, 3) great news!

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Kawabata posted:

Complaints without a proposed solution are just kind of pointless.

For example you could do this instead:
Man the loading times in World are really long because of the amount of data they have to load. Why don't they break the map into zones and have players load into each zone individually since that would load so much faster?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DaNerd posted:

Complaints without a proposed solution are just kind of pointless.

For example you could do this instead:
Man the loading times in World are really long because of the amount of data they have to load. Why don't they break the map into zones and have players load into each zone individually since that would load so much faster?

I would play this game

several times

for a couple hundred hours each

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Kawabata posted:

1) yes they are, 2) ???, 3) great news!

Just for the record, if it only "loaded" the quest once it would still take as long as it does to pre-load and go through the loading screen now. This is why people are giving you poo poo for not knowing what you are talking about. Because you don't.

Also the loading times aren't that bad.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've talked a bunch about fighting Vaal Hazak and also about using the Lance (especially my thoughts on the power guard counter) and I finally got some good footage. It's not speedrunning tier or anything (this particular hunt took 7'41) but other than some menuing issues in the beginning it was a solid run. I'd love it if someone would watch it and evaluate me :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtO99dnHEhY&t=93s

(I linked it to 1:33 since that's when Vaal shows up)

If nothing else, at least watch the finish to see a thing that I didn't even know was possible in this game!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Man, I am almost up to the Tempered Elder Dragons and I still absolutely cannot defeat Black Diablos to save my life.

It’s like it has so little windup on a lot of its attacks, and the running charge always seems to catch me (or multiple hunters at once) no matter when or how I dodge. I am tempted to just go balls to the wall with Evade Extender to see how that works and out

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Your Computer posted:

why guard stuff when you can powerguard and counter

honest question since I'm not sure if I've ever actually used the guard, I always just power counter everything)

Because I usually do circle stabs and cancel into counter stance if I see an attack coming and jho's attacks force the sliding knockback on the counter guard so you can't do a stab from it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
What are the most useful early decorations to be using? Right now I've got a couple of evade extenders, one attack up, a health bonus, and then some random stuff I can't remember. I got a dragon resist the other day and briefly thought I had something then remembered y'all said it was useless lol

e: for reference I'm using SnS right now but was thinking more just as a general idea of what to be selecting vs what's trash

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 23, 2018

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

MechaX posted:

Man, I am almost up to the Tempered Elder Dragons and I still absolutely cannot defeat Black Diablos to save my life.

It’s like it has so little windup on a lot of its attacks, and the running charge always seems to catch me (or multiple hunters at once) no matter when or how I dodge.

Black Diablos has two extra attacks on top of Diablos's repertoire. There's the delayed charge which tracks your position and is a lot faster than the regular charge when it gets going (you can see this because she paws the ground like a bull before she charges); the charge off of this also has a tail swipe included in it so be careful about dodging and moving in to punish. Then there's the delayed burrow where she stops briefly at your location once she gets there, THEN bursts out. Instead of just emerging like the normal burrow, she basically explodes up and forward with a double horn swipe (and double tail swipe) so be prepared for that. That said all the attacks are really telegraphed, it's just that they cover so much area and move her around so much that they can be annoying to deal with.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

And even more suprising, no one chose to disband and we all went back to base camp and people began to post new tempered quests. And we continued to wreck face for a few more quests before we all spammed emotes and stickers and disbanded.

I was honestly dumbfounded. And it really did remind me of how much better multiplayer lobbies used to be.

That sounds great. Never had that happen but a couple of times when the game first came out and everyone just went back to the base anyway. So I never choose that anymore, nor does anyone else I see. It's a pity they didn't make the whole stick around to form an impromptu group thing much simpler to understand and do.

They seemed to have changed something about how failed multiplayer hunts are handled. Didn't these use to take you straight back to the base instead of offering you options? I dunno. I just find myself looking embarrassedly at Handler instead of being back at base after the 2.0 patch.

I like how the game now puts up a message when someone is waiting in the queue for the current hunt.

Fuzz posted:

We've done these where we paired off and split up to hunt stuff, just to make it more interesting. Was a lot of fun when you're chasing your target to the same area as the other team is already fighting, and not only can you warn them the monster is coming but you get to see them dunging and then doing awesome poo poo in the distance as you run there. We haven't quite gotten to the coordination level where we can lay traps and poo poo in advance, but who cares, it's a Fun and Good Time.

Sounds like fun. This is the perfect game for that kind of interaction. Given my uncertain times and commitment, I play no-voice pubbie-only and miss out on a lot of this.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Everything Burrito posted:

What are the most useful early decorations to be using? Right now I've got a couple of evade extenders, one attack up, a health bonus, and then some random stuff I can't remember. I got a dragon resist the other day and briefly thought I had something then remembered y'all said it was useless lol

e: for reference I'm using SnS right now but was thinking more just as a general idea of what to be selecting vs what's trash

Just equip whatever you have slots for and swap things around until you find what you like the best.

Decorations are hard to give general purpose advice because they are so heavily dependent on what weapon/armor you are using and which ones you have.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

I've talked a bunch about fighting Vaal Hazak and also about using the Lance (especially my thoughts on the power guard counter) and I finally got some good footage. It's not speedrunning tier or anything (this particular hunt took 7'41) but other than some menuing issues in the beginning it was a solid run. I'd love it if someone would watch it and evaluate me :shobon:

If nothing else, at least watch the finish to see a thing that I didn't even know was possible in this game!

Nice run! I won't point this out as a "mistake" because it's something I read somewhere and I've been trying to remember to mix it in when I think about it. But I've been told it's a quicker move and a DPS gain to, when you've got your back to a downed monster instead of 180 turning instead to powerguard then counter backwards into it.

It's one of those things that's obvious to hear it but I might remember to try it once or twice in an entire night.

I would definitely file this under next-level lancing though.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 23, 2018

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Your Computer posted:

I'm convinced environmental traps don't work for capturing unless someone can show me footage of otherwise. I've tried it half a dozen times and seen other people try it too and it has never worked.

Makes them nice and immobile for you to put down a shock trap though :v:

Evniromental traps do not work.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Does the guard skill also work for greatsword guarding? Not that it's really the best idea, but when I was looking at the radobaan armor the radobaan GS was the only weapon I could find that could even use all of that set's skills.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The dual Diablos arena made me angry until I used the gunlance. Then it was like, 'wow this isn't even hard''

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Playing solo is usually quicker, and easily more consistent. Multiplayer you may find a group which murders everything in three minutes or it takes thirteen.

As someone who hates Kushala Daroa this is the best.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

Nice run! I won't point this out as a "mistake" because it's something I read somewhere and I've been trying to remember to mix it in when I think about it. But I've been told it's a quicker move and a DPS gain to, when you've got your back to a downed monster instead of 180 turning instead to powerguard then counter backwards into it.

It's one of those things that's obvious to hear it but I might remember to try it once or twice in an entire night.

I would definitely file this under next-level lancing though.

Oh yeah, that's a good point! The elder dragons have some really awkward flailing animations when downed and I get turned around way too often. I think I get both dragged through his head and also from his tail to his feet by the weird animations and it's always annoying :v:

One reason I want some feedback on this is that I'm completely self-taught and hardly a lance main so I'm pretty sure there's plenty of cool poo poo I could be doing with lance that I'm just not aware of :shobon:

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

MechaX posted:

It’s like it has so little windup on a lot of its attacks, and the running charge always seems to catch me (or multiple hunters at once) no matter when or how I dodge. I am tempted to just go balls to the wall with Evade Extender to see how that works and out

Superman dive when he charges and the borrowing attack. Lots of frams of immunity. Alternatively when he charges, there is a little bit of a delay (compared to Normal Diablos), delay your dodge as well and you should be able to be clear of it.

1500 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 23, 2018

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Oh yeah, that's a good point! The elder dragons have some really awkward flailing animations when downed and I get turned around way too often. I think I get both dragged through his head and also from his tail to his feet by the weird animations and it's always annoying :v:

One reason I want some feedback on this is that I'm completely self-taught and hardly a lance main so I'm pretty sure there's plenty of cool poo poo I could be doing with lance that I'm just not aware of :shobon:

Nah I've played almost this entire game lance and I probably don't run as clean as you do (because I'm bad). I probably lean more into the "guard dash triple poke" maneuver for positioning more than the dash, I feel like it gets me into combo quicker and I have better control over my positioning. I typically only dash when I'm far enough away to hit the first boost.

But it's probably a DPS loss vs dashing through and getting that high-damage end poke somewhere into the midsection. At any rate, they're both fine ways to go and probably the difference is a few seconds off a 10 minute fight, one way or the other. I kind of just love the animation on the triple poke, so I try to work it in wherever I can (especially side hopping into it).

E: In general I am too aggressive and end up a half second late on too many counters. I take way too much damage (which is why I rely so much on healbug tool).

Huxley fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 23, 2018

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Kawabata posted:

Legitimate question, do you care why people tend to object to your posting or do you just write everyone off as dumb and wrong? Because you keep doing the same thing over and over and I wonder why.

Your Computer posted:

Nice run! I went through most of it and it looks pretty good to me. The big thing is what Huxley pointed out, you tend to stop and turn instead of doing a power guard->charge hit to change your facing. The other thing I noticed was you don't use the guard advance or lunging triple thrust much, those are great short-range mobility moves that can increase your uptime as well. Your guarding/countering is on point though.

I'm gonna go ahead and record a run myself just to show how I use the power-guard and related moves, although my right trigger is dying so I'll have to see if it holds up enough.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

enojy posted:

You can also bring Poogie up to the Handler's table to pick up a Voucher just about 100% of the time. Alternatively, you can run up the stairs, accept a quest from the Handler, eat at the table, and Poogie will be a good way up the stairs by that point.

Alternatively, you can complete the low-rank "Greeting the Gluttons" event quest going on right now and get 4-5 food vouchers per quest.

MechaX posted:

The secret to killing Black Diablos is to make her stop moving.

Screamer Pods, Paralysis attacks, Sleep attacks, Mounting attacks, and both kinds of traps are all your friends.

She is especially weak to Paralysis and shooting off a Screamer Pod while she is digging is the equivalent of putting her in a pitfall trap.

You can also fake her out like some sort of fantasy matador and dodge one of her charges while standing in front of one of the big rock pillars in the Area 13 cave. If done correctly her horns will get stuck in the rock and she will be immobilized for several seconds.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

DaNerd posted:

I've been assuming that the places where the game makes you crawl through a tunnel were hidden in-world zone loading sections.

I suspect that there is a significant amount of hidden loading and unloading of assets happening in the game at all times.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Roundabout Route posted:

You can also fake her out like some sort of fantasy matador and dodge one of her charges while standing in front of one of the big rock pillars in the Area 13 cave. If done correctly her horns will get stuck in the rock and she will be immobilized for several seconds.

In a similar vein you can do this to Rathalos when it dives at you with its talons, park next to a hard surface and its foot will get stuck for a few seconds for some free hits.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I don't really mind the long loading into areas because stuff like fast traveling within the areas has no loading at all

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AttackBacon posted:

The other thing I noticed was you don't use the guard advance or lunging triple thrust much, those are great short-range mobility moves that can increase your uptime as well.

I literally forgot they exist :madmax:

Thanks though, it makes me happy to hear I'm doing good. I think Lance is probably my third most used in World after CB and LS but I really like the addition of the power guard. It's Brave levels of stupid and I love that :swoon:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

doingitwrong posted:

I've been assuming that the places where the game makes you crawl through a tunnel were hidden in-world zone loading sections.

I suspect that there is a significant amount of hidden loading and unloading of assets happening in the game at all times.

They very much are. This is why Ancient Forest on particular has a lot of them because it's the largest zone by a good margin. Elder's Recess conversely has the fewest because it's the smallest zone. Rotten Vale seems to get around a lot of this and avoid the crawling bits simply via the design of the entire map... the whole thing is a long spiral going down, with very few break points at which you can traverse coils by just jumping down. Coral Highlands uses crawls but also just does a lot of tricks with line of sight and obscuring long vistas with stuff so it doesn't need to render anything behind it.

Wildspire is the exception, solely because of that one bluff you can climb up and get a huge vista of the dune area as well as the crevice where Diablos goes to eat cactus. We've done tests with people fighting way down below and someone watching from above, and it's all rendered in real-time, so that's pretty cool. Ancient Forest does the same thing from the canopy, but the canopy is all twisty and designed in such a way that you're basically only ever looking down at one zone at a time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
As someone who primarily PC games on a high end machine I'm pretty surprised at how well Monster Hunter World looks and runs on my old PS4 and the load times are honestly fine. Waiting a minute every half hour or so isn't a huge bother, especially when most of the gameplay is so stressful during that time. It's almost a nice breather.

If I had one gripe about the game it's that I find climbing to be tedious as all hell even when there's bugs around to use. Watching monsters just sort of teleport vertically is goofy as gently caress and feels really cheap. The upper part of the coral highlands blows.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The load times become more bothersome the faster you can kill monsters. :smug:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I've never had to wait more than 20 seconds for a load screen in this game, but I'm on a Pro with a 2TB SSHD. Are the load times really that bad for other people or is it all goon hyperbole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I do like how complex the map is for ancient forest. They put a lot of effort into it. I like to just wandering around and explore while picking up poo poo. A lot of hidden nooks and crannies. I even enjoyed looking around for the rare ingredient spawn points cause I'm a weirdo :shobon:

Just doesn't serve much purpose gameplay wise. Monsters don't even transverse some sections of the map, like the twisting canopy part.