Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
halfway through the book and we haven't actually seen any combat more complicated than "someone else released a spell and everyone blew up". Despite it being an MMO.

In my head, OASIS sword combat works the same as in any other MMO. You just stand there and face tank the enemy and smack em with your sword for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I engaged the mountain troll in hand-to-hand combat and defeated him after a long and arduous battle. Then I drank some e-mountain dew and got my HPs back.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Actually that raises a question

If you can level up, but all your actions and concurrent with things your real body is doing, what does levelling up do?

You can't actually be smarter or more dexterous because those things are determined by your real life limitations

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why did Aech hate him again? I know, there's been like two bits of personal drama in the whole book so I should remember, but all I can remember about final meeting in the school dungeon was the "mystery" of the falling magazines.
Because Wade's a gigantic dick and screamed at his best friend for five years for being a hanger-on that could only participate in the Hunt by copying Wade.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
lol why is he trying to portray a characters death in an sad/ominous way when people just respawn

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

nerdz posted:

lol why is he trying to portray a characters death in an sad/ominous way when people just respawn

When you die in Japan you die for real.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why did Aech hate him again? I know, there's been like two bits of personal drama in the whole book so I should remember, but all I can remember about final meeting in the school dungeon was the "mystery" of the falling magazines.

There's a short bit that I summarized in the "Wade is a hairless pale automaton who lives in a haptic suit now" chapter, where he says that he and Aech got paranoid about revealing any info to each other and finally got into a shouting match where Wade was like "Bitch you wouldn't have even found the first key without me". Then he couldn't decide if it was too early or too late to apologize and had just not said a word since.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Actually that raises a question

If you can level up, but all your actions and concurrent with things your real body is doing, what does levelling up do?

You can't actually be smarter or more dexterous because those things are determined by your real life limitations

As I warned at the beginning, Cline's writing gets really ambiguous about just how "reality" the virtual reality is. Ostensibly it's a typical video game where you have stats that restrict your equipment and make you do more damage and have more HP, but any time actual combat or actions are described it comes off as a holodeck kind of thing. It actually makes it more jarring when Wade does stuff like view his avatar in third person or open his inventory as a menu (especially since he puts items in his pocket to add them to his inventory and sometimes pulls them out like physical items, but other times he just clicks on them in the menu).

And at the beginning he just used an autorun feature, but now his rig has a treadmill to run for real. Does he still get the option of autorun, hand gestures, and voice commands like he used to?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
It's interesting how sci-fi writers at the beginning of the 20th century could write about more complex futuristic technological scenarios with much more consistency and Cline can't even write a thing that should exist 5-10 years from now.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

nerdz posted:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

When you die in Japan you die for real.

Maybe it's the other way: Daito got offed in the real-world, the same way that they tried to go after Wade the first time. You'd expect Shoto to reach out and warn his friends, but I guess the samurai's life is fleeting and always close to death or something, and everyone in this world is as emotionally crippled as the author's prose.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

This reminds me of stories I wrote as a teenager ("his trench coat billowed in the wind as he coolly donned his sunglasses")

Combined with drawings of awesome characters, vehicles and 'bases' I did as an even younger child

I'm amazed he doesn't have Wolverine claws

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yond Cassius posted:

Maybe it's the other way: Daito got offed in the real-world, the same way that they tried to go after Wade the first time. You'd expect Shoto to reach out and warn his friends, but I guess the samurai's life is fleeting and always close to death or something, and everyone in this world is as emotionally crippled as the author's prose.

Daito accidentally used a skip glitch to get the key and had to commit harakiri to atone for his lack of honor

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

nerdz posted:

Daito accidentally used a skip glitch to get the key and had to commit harakiri to atone for his lack of honor
Shame. Could you imagine what he'd do if he gamefaqs'd the answer?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You know what would be a way better challenge: If Halliday had created an original, never beaten before text adventure inspired by Zork so people couldn't just gamefaqs it, but I'm not the nostalgia purist firing people for not getting references. And lol if you think Cline would have the skills to portray an original text adventure game.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Ready Player One posted:

My avatar now stood in that open field, just west of the white house. The front door of the old Victorian mansion was boarded up, and there was a mailbox just a few yards away from me, at the end of the walkway leading to the house.

Hang on, that doesn't sound right... (clicks on the Zork link provided above)

Zork posted:

>examine house
The house is a beautiful colonial house which is painted white. It is clear that the owners must have been extremely wealthy.

EDIT:
To be fair, even the later graphical Zork games didn't portray the house as "beautiful colonial"...

Return to Zork

Zork Grand Inquisitor

...but where Cline gets "Victorian mansion" is a mystery to me.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 23, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Rereading this vicariously, I keep thinking "wait, I remember the Oasis made a lot more sense at the time." Each time, I've been thinking of REAMDE.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I've brought dishonor upon my family by using gamefaqs walkthroughs to defeat this challenge

*commits seppuku*

*respawns 2 feet away*

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Crap, now I have to level up again.

*pulls out walkthrough*

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
It didn't actually sound like dying was that big of a deal when Wade described it earlier? You go back down to level 1. But Wade power leveling to level 99 was so trivial he barely mentioned it in a throw-away line. And even if you lose all the stuff you have on you, every gunter seems to have entire bases full of extra poo poo.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

quote:

There was only one possible explanation: Daito had just been killed.

Or, you know

Maybe he was just banned

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm surprised with the vast network of accounts the sixers wield, they don't just report-spam people they don't like until all the gunthers get auto-banned.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

It didn't actually sound like dying was that big of a deal when Wade described it earlier? You go back down to level 1. But Wade power leveling to level 99 was so trivial he barely mentioned it in a throw-away line. And even if you lose all the stuff you have on you, every gunter seems to have entire bases full of extra poo poo.

They make it look like leveling is gated more by resources than time. If you're rich enough, you can boost yourself to the max level extremely quickly due to being able to quickly traveling between quests and finishing them as fast as possible. But here's the huge plothole: if the game currency is the highest valued currency of them all, can't you just get rich by poopsocking the poo poo out of OASIS? They even mention respawning instances, like the joust cave! Why is everyone so poor then? If you can farm raids and get infinite money, why is the currency so valued?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Renegret posted:

Or, you know

Maybe he was just banned

AIMBOT on a Katana, the ultimate shame.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

nerdz posted:

They make it look like leveling is gated more by resources than time. If you're rich enough, you can boost yourself to the max level extremely quickly due to being able to quickly traveling between quests and finishing them as fast as possible. But here's the huge plothole: if the game currency is the highest valued currency of them all, can't you just get rich by poopsocking the poo poo out of OASIS? They even mention respawning instances, like the joust cave! Why is everyone so poor then? If you can farm raids and get infinite money, why is the currency so valued?

yeah, OASIS being the primo currency of the entire world wouldn't make any sense because there's literally mounds of money just lying around all over the place that respawns every day. It should be trivial for anyone to make themselves near infinite money by using strategy guides to beat the toughest content (since Wade has shown us that its how he beats everything multiple times now). Really OASIS currency should be so insanely devalued from the massive amounts of it floating around in the system that it should be worth next to nothing in the real world.

OASIS is just a virtual reality bitcoin mining machine

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Dave Syndrome posted:

...but where Cline gets "Victorian mansion" is a mystery to me.

IIRC there's a line in Snow Crash about Victorian houses on tank treads, but I don't think it's a reference to that.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Maybe I missed it, because --- like probably a lot of folks here --- I'm paying way more attention to chitoryu's commentary than the eye-glazing contents of the book itself, but why are the IOI guys called Sixers?

Gods, this poo poo is terrible. Really? You had to tell me that your Firefly-class ship was based on the one used in the show FIrefly? drat, never would've figured that oh so obscure reference out!

That hammered home what's really been driving me nuts: the whole point is the Easter egg hunt. And Cline could've been dropping eggs all through this book that only old farts like me would get. That would've made for a fun read that would ping my nostalgia meter. Have a guy show up and say "Trust me, I know what I'm doing", and I'd chuckle and think, "nice, a Sledgehammer! reference". No, it's all Deloreans and x-wings and pop music that even my 20-something coworkers know, with our narrator explaining where these common cultural touchstones come from.

Fun fact: the word "nostalgia" at its roots means roughly "a painful return home". This poo poo is painful, all right.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Maybe I missed it, because --- like probably a lot of folks here --- I'm paying way more attention to chitoryu's commentary than the eye-glazing contents of the book itself, but why are the IOI guys called Sixers?

They all have six-number employee ID numbers that start with a 6.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

chitoryu12 posted:

They all have six-number employee ID numbers that start with a 6.
I noticed that, but thought there might have been more to it than that. Silly me, thinking there may have been some deeper meaning.

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

quote:

Most of Parzival-TV’s regular viewers were gunters who monitored my vidfeed with the hope that I’d inadvertently reveal some key piece of information about the Jade Key or the egg itself. I never did, of course. At the moment, Parzival-TV was wrapping up a nonstop two-day Kikaider marathon. Kikaider was a late-’70s Japanese action show about a red-and-blue android who beat the crap out of rubber-suited monsters in each episode. I had a weakness for vintage kaiju and tokusatsu, shows like Spectreman, The Space Giants, and Supaidaman.

I imagine he specifically picked those series because they all either had English dubs that aired on American television (Spectreman, Space Giants) or were probably popular among tape traders in the 80s. (Kikaider apparently had an English following in Hawaii, and I guess the Japanese Spiderman got passed around because it's Spiderman with a giant robot. If you're a Marvel fan, why wouldn't you want to take a look?) But I'm still shaking my head that he mentions those but not Kamen Rider or any of the earlier Super Sentai. (Cline would have been 20ish when the original Power Rangers aired. So older than the target audience, but that doesn't stop a ton of other nerds that age from watching it or its Japanese counterpart.) Or mentioning having any Ultraman in his toku show rotation.

chitoryu12 posted:

Despite his tumultuous relationship with Aech, Wade has formed a loose and wary friendship with Daito and Shoto after they did a quest on planet Tokusatsu that involved completing all 39 episodes of Ultraman as the protagonists. The quest was implemented several years after Halliday's death (so Wade knew it couldn't be part of the Hunt) and was entirely in Japanese (which Wade doesn't understand without the imperfect OASIS translator software), so to extend an olive branch he asked Daito and Shoto to team up with him. They spent a whole week, playing as many as 16 hours a day, swapping characters until they completed everything.

There is an English translation for Phantasy Star Online 2, a Japanese MMO that is still running that doesn't have an official English release. Someone would have gotten around that crappy machine translator (which probably wouldn't be that crappy) and translated those quests. Hell, if they're just reciting the dialogue and actions from the show, someone could just copy/paste a translation group's fansubs for the show. That would probably be most of the work there.

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh, and Frobozz is a place and corporation that appears in the Zork games. As far as I can see, it's not the name of a character.

It kind of is. It's the title of the wizard of said place. He's the antagonist of Zork 2.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Over the next twelve hours, chaos continued to reign on Frobozz as every gunter in the OASIS scrambled to reach the planet and join the fray.

The Sixers had dispersed their grand army across the globe in a bold attempt to blockade all 512 copies of the Zork playing field. But their forces, as vast and well-equipped as they were, were spread far too thin this time. Only seven more of their avatars managed to obtain the Jade Key that day. And when the gunter clans began their coordinated attack on the Sixers’ forces, the “boobs in blue” began to suffer heavy casualties and were forced to pull back.

Within a matter of hours, the Sixer high command decided to deploy a new strategy. It had quickly become obvious that they wouldn’t be able to maintain over five hundred different blockades or fend off the massive influx of gunters. So they regrouped all of their forces around ten adjacent instances of the Zork playing field near the planet’s south pole. They installed powerful force shields over each of them and stationed armored battalions outside the shield walls.

This scaled-down strategy worked, and the Sixers’ forces proved sufficient to hold those ten locations and prevent any other gunters from getting inside (and there wasn’t much reason for other gunters to try, since over five hundred other instances of Zork now stood wide open and unprotected). Now that the Sixers could operate undisturbed, they basically formed ten lines of avatars outside each white house and began to run them through the process of obtaining the Jade Key, one after another. Everyone could plainly see what they were doing, because the digits beside each IOI employee number on the Scoreboard began to increase by 15,000 points.

At the same time, hundreds of gunter scores were increasing as well. Now that the location of the Jade Key was public knowledge, deciphering the Quatrain and figuring out how to obtain the key was relatively easy. It was there for the taking to anyone who had already cleared the First Gate.

The Scoreboard quickly ends up 5000 names long. Wade checks the gunter message boards, but nobody has any idea how Daito died. Most assume he was killed during the fighting in the Battle of Frobozz. Wade sends Shoto a few chat requests, but all of them go unanswered.

He begins obsessing over the clue on the Jade Key like a mantra.

quote:

Yes, but what test? What test was I supposed to take? The Kobayashi Maru? The Pepsi Challenge? Could the clue have been any more vague?

Who the gently caress put the Pepsi Challenge in OASIS.

The only clue Wade can figure out is that the wrapper from the key stayed in his inventory, which suggests that it has some kind of meaning. Suddenly at 6:12 AM, Wade is jolted awake in his chair by the Scoreboard alert. Sorrento has completed the Second Gate and has the clue to the Crystal Key, putting him at the top of the board and the closest to winning control of GSS. It only gets worse, and eventually all other gunters are kicked off the top ten until the board is full of Sixer numbers.

quote:

I suddenly felt ill, and I was also having a difficult time breathing. I realized I must be having some sort of panic attack. A total and complete freak-out. A massive mental meltdown. Whatever you want to call it. I went a little nuts.

I think you went nuts when you shaved all your hair off and began living entirely in a virtual world, buddy.

quote:

I sat there in my stronghold, staring at the monitors, watching all of this unfold in stunned horror. There was no denying it. The end of the contest was at hand. And it wasn’t going to end like I’d always thought it would, with some noble, worthy gunter finding the egg and winning the prize. I’d been kidding myself for the past five and a half years. We all had. This story was not going to have a happy ending. The bad guys were going to win.

I spent the next twenty-four hours in a frantic funk, obsessively checking the Scoreboard every five seconds, expecting the end to come at any moment.

If you had any desires for Wade to become more normal, here he is spending an entire day staring at a single computer screen in horror.

quote:

I’d already decided what I was going to do when it happened. First, I would choose one of the kids in my official fan club, someone with no money and a first-level newbie avatar, and give her every item I owned. Then I would activate the self-destruct sequence on my stronghold and sit in my command center while the whole place went up in a massive thermonuclear explosion. My avatar would die and GAME OVER would appear in the center of my display. Then I would rip off my visor and leave my apartment for the first time in six months. I would ride the elevator up to the roof. Or maybe I would even take the stairs. Get a little exercise.

There was an arboretum on the roof of my apartment building. I had never visited it, but I’d seen photos and admired the view via webcam. A transparent Plexiglas barrier had been installed around the ledge to keep people from jumping, but it was a joke. At least three determined individuals had managed to climb over it since I’d moved in.

I would sit up there and breathe the unfiltered city air for a while, feeling the wind on my skin. Then I would scale the barrier and hurl myself over the side.

This was my current plan.

Wade is shaken from his suicidal thoughts at the idea of his favorite game becoming monetized by a message from Shoto, telling him that Daito left something for Wade in his will. Wade calls him back confused, saying that Daito can just make a new avatar while Shoto holds onto his stuff. Shoto is a teary wreck who says that Daito won't be making a new avatar, now or ever. Somehow Wade doesn't clue in, so he agrees to the meeting.

quote:

Max alerted me when Shoto arrived an hour or so later. I granted his ship clearance to enter Falco’s airspace and told him to park in my hangar.

Shoto’s vessel was a large interplanetary trawler named the Kurosawa, modeled after a ship called the Bebop in the classic anime series Cowboy Bebop. Daito and Shoto had used it as their mobile base of operations for as long as I’d known them. The ship was so big that it barely fit through my hangar doors.I was standing on the runway to greet Shoto as he emerged from the Kurosawa. He was dressed in black mourning robes, and his face bore the same inconsolable expression I’d seen when we spoke on the phone.

“Parzival-san,” he said, bowing low.

“Shoto-san.” I returned the bow respectfully, then stretched out my palm, a gesture he recognized from the time we’d spent questing together.

Grinning, he reached out and slipped me some skin. But then his dark expression immediately resurfaced. This was the first time I’d seen Shoto since the quest we’d shared on Tokusatsu (not counting those “Daisho Energy Drink” commercials he and his brother appeared in), and his avatar seemed to be a few inches taller than I remembered.

In case you were hoping Daito and Shoto would be portrayed in a less racist way, I have bad news for you.

Wade leads Shoto to one of his rarely used sitting rooms (a recreation of the Family Ties living room) for their meeting. Please keep in mind that all the gravitas of this scene takes place between a guy in body armor and a samurai in this living room:

quote:

“The Sixers killed my brother last night,” he said, almost whispering.

At first, I was too stunned to reply. “You mean they killed his avatar?” I asked, even though I could already tell that wasn’t what he meant.

Shoto shook his head. “No. They broke into his apartment, pulled him out of his haptic chair, and threw him off his balcony. He lived on the forty-third floor.”

Shoto opened a browser window in the air beside us. It displayed a Japanese newsfeed article. I tapped it with my index finger, and the Mandarax software translated the text to English. The headline was ANOTHER OTAKU SUICIDE. The brief article below said that a young man, Toshiro Yoshiaki, age twenty-two, had jumped to his death from his apartment, located on the forty-third floor of a converted hotel in Shinjuku, Tokyo, where he lived alone. I saw a school photo of Toshiro beside the article. He was a young Japanese man with long, unkempt hair and bad skin. He didn’t look anything like his OASIS avatar.

When Shoto saw that I’d finished reading, he closed the window. I hesitated a moment before asking, “Are you sure he didn’t really commit suicide? Because his avatar had been killed?”

“No,” Shoto said. “Daito did not commit seppuku. I’m sure of it. The Sixers broke into his apartment while we were engaged in combat with them on Frobozz. That’s how they were able to defeat his avatar. By killing him, in the real world.”

“I’m sorry, Shoto.” I didn’t know what else to say. I knew he was telling the truth.

“My real name is Akihide,” he said. “I want you to know my true name.”

I smiled, then bowed, briefly pressing my forehead to the floor. “I appreciate your trusting me with your true name,” I said. “My true name is Wade.” I could no longer see the point in keeping secrets.

“Thank you, Wade,” Shoto said, returning the bow.

“You’re welcome, Akihide.”

While Daito and Shoto called themselves "brothers", they weren't actually related. Toshiro and Akihide met 6 years ago as part of an OASIS support group for hikikomori, as this phenomenon (young Japanese people withdrawing from society) had only become worse with the advent of Halliday's Hunt. Bonding over their mutual love of samurai movies, they created a samurai persona and bonded as brothers over their quests through OASIS. After clearing the First Gate, they became instant celebrities in Japan with their own live action and animated TV shows but kept their identities a secret. Shoto suggested to Daito that they meet in person for the first time, but Daito flew into a rage and he never brought it up again.

Shoto explains how everything happened. They had planted microscopic tracking devices on a large number of Sixer gunships, knowing that they'd use Fyndoro's Tablet of Finding to converge on whoever found the Jade Key first, and used it to trace them to Frobozz. Landing the Kurosawa on the planet, Shoto completed Zork while Daito stood guard. While they successfully completed the quest, the Sixers converged on them and made killing them a priority.

Shoto brings up a video feed of what happened for Wade to watch:

quote:

Daito didn’t hesitate to use the ace up his sleeve. He pulled out the Beta Capsule, held it aloft in his right hand, and activated it. His avatar instantly changed into Ultraman, a glowing-eyed red-and-silver alien superhero. As his avatar transformed, he also grew to a height of 156 feet.

The Sixer ground forces closing in on him froze in their tracks, staring up in frightened awe as Ultraman Daito snatched two gunships out of the sky and smashed them together, like a giant child playing with two tiny metal toys. He dropped the flaming wreckage to the ground and began to swat other Sixer gunships out of the sky like bothersome flies. The ships that escaped his deadly grasp banked around and sprayed him with laser bolts and machine-gun fire, but both deflected harmlessly off his armored alien skin. Daito let out a booming laugh that echoed across the landscape. Then he made a cross with his arms, intersecting at the wrists. A glowing energy beam blasted forth from his hands, vaporizing half a dozen gunships unlucky enough to fly through its path. Daito turned and swept the beam over the Sixer ground forces around him, frying them like terrified ants under a magnifying glass.

Daito appeared to be enjoying himself immensely. So much so that he paid little attention to the warning light embedded in the center of his chest, which had now begun to flash bright red. This was a signal that his three minutes as Ultraman had nearly elapsed and that his power was almost depleted. This time limit was Ultraman’s primary weakness. If Daito failed to deactivate the Beta Capsule and return to human form before his three minutes were up, his avatar would die. But it was obvious that if he changed back into his human form right now, in the middle of the massive Sixer onslaught, he’d be killed instantly too. And Shoto would never be able to reach the ship.I could see the Sixer troops around Daito screaming into their comlinks for backup, and additional Sixer gunships were still arriving in droves.

Daito was blasting them out of the sky one at a time, with perfectly aimed bursts of his specium ray. And with each blast he fired, the warning light on his chest pulsed faster.

Then Shoto emerged from the white house and told his brother via comlink that he’d acquired the Jade Key. In that same instant, the Sixer ground forces spotted Shoto, and sensing a much easier target, they began to redirect their fire at his avatar.

Shoto made a mad dash for the Kurosawa. When he activated the Boots of Speed he was wearing, his avatar became a barely visible blur racing across the open field. As Shoto ran, Daito repositioned his giant form to provide him with as much cover as possible. Still firing energy blasts, he was able to keep the Sixers at bay.

Then Daito’s voice broke in on the comlink. “Shoto!” he shouted. “I think someone is here! Someone is inside—”

His voice cut off. At the same moment, his avatar froze, as if he’d been turned to stone, and a log-out icon appeared directly over his head.

Logging out of your OASIS account while you were engaged in combat was the same thing as committing suicide. During the log-out sequence, your avatar froze in place for sixty seconds, during which time you were totally defenseless and susceptible to attack. The log-out sequence was designed this way to prevent avatars from using it as an easy way to escape a fight. You had to stand your ground or retreat to a safe location before you could log out.

As his avatar froze, the Sixers poured fire into Ultraman. He finally toppled over (nearly crushing Shoto) and turned back into his human avatar, slowly disappearing and leaving a pile of spinning items on the ground. Shoto grabbed everything and jumped back in the ship, barely making a lightspeed escape.

quote:

Shoto removed the Beta Capsule from his inventory and held it out to me. “Daito would have wanted you to have this.”

I held up a hand. “No, I think you should keep it. You might need it.”Shoto shook his head. “I have all of his other items,” he said. “I don’t need this. And I don’t want it.” He held the capsule out to me, insistent.

I took the artifact and examined it. It was a small metal cylinder, silver and black in color, with a red activation button on its side. Its size and shape reminded me of the lightsabers I owned. But lightsabers were a dime a dozen. I had over fifty in my collection. There was only one Beta Capsule, and it was a far more powerful weapon.

I raised the capsule with both hands and bowed. “Thank you, Shoto-san.”

“Thank you, Parzival,” he said, returning the bow. “Thank you for listening.” He stood up slowly. Everything about his body language seemed to signal defeat.

“You haven’t given up yet, have you?” I asked.

“Of course not.” He straightened his body and gave me a dark smile. “But finding the egg is no longer my goal. Now, I have a new quest. A far more important one.”

“And that is?”

“Revenge.”

I nodded. Then I walked over and took down one of the samurai swords mounted on the wall and presented it to Shoto. “Please,” I said. “Accept this gift. To aid you in your new quest.”

Shoto took the sword and drew its ornate blade a few inches from the scabbard. “A Masamune?” he asked, staring at the blade in wonder.

I nodded. “Yes. And it’s a plus-five Vorpal Blade, too.”

Shoto bowed again to show his gratitude. “Arigato.”

We rode the elevator back down to my hangar in silence. Just before he boarded his ship, Shoto turned to me. “How long do you think it will take the Sixers to clear the Third Gate?” he asked.

“I don’t know,” I said. “Hopefully, long enough for us to catch up with them.”

“It’s not over until the fat lady is singing, right?”

I nodded. “It’s not over until it’s over. And it’s not over yet.”

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Adnachiel posted:

It kind of is. It's the title of the wizard of said place. He's the antagonist of Zork 2.

Yeah but he's the Wizard of Frobozz. It's as accurate as saying "the planet Da Vinci, named after the family."

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Spark That Bled posted:

On the other hand, this is pretty much Sword Art Online's premise.
Huh. I hadn't thought of RP1 as an instance of the Trapped In VR genre before.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Ready Player One posted:

“No,” Shoto said. “Daito did not commit seppuku. I’m sure of it."

Mainly because seppuku is a certain form of ritual suicide, not just your usual everyday suicide.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It would be loving rad if he had though

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

:hchatter: Oh, here's a fun tidbit:

wikipedia posted:

Aech is based partly on Cline's friend Harry Knowles as well as himself and other geeks, both men and women.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 23, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Spark That Bled posted:

Mainly because seppuku is a certain form of ritual suicide, not just your usual everyday suicide.
The only wait Daito and Shoto's characters work is if they were actually not Japanese people who still fell into the whole 'emulate the samurai' thing bc this is basic knowledge.

And honestly even someone obsessed with samurai is going to know that seppuku is a specific type of suicide, even if they were a white dude from Oregon or something.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

PetraCore posted:

The only wait Daito and Shoto's characters work is if they were actually not Japanese people who still fell into the whole 'emulate the samurai' thing bc this is basic knowledge.

And honestly even someone obsessed with samurai is going to know that seppuku is a specific type of suicide, even if they were a white dude from Oregon or something.
Wade asks them to translate Japanese for him and they finally have to go like 'dude this is roleplaying I'm not very good with kanji.'

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WHERE ARE HIS EYELASHES

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Didn’t Knowles turn out to be a serial groper?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

WHERE ARE HIS EYELASHES

At a guess, they've been devoured by the tiny singularity between his eyes that's pulling all his facial features so close together

or maybe it just appears that way compared to his ever-expanding furry throat sack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Harry Jay Knowles (born December 11, 1971) is a film critic and writer known for his website called Ain't It Cool News. Knowles was a member of the Austin Film Critics Association, from which he was removed in September 2017 "by a substantial majority vote" of the organization following allegations of sexual assault.[1][2]

but of course

SatansOnion posted:

At a guess, they've been devoured by the tiny singularity between his eyes that's pulling all his facial features so close together

or maybe it just appears that way compared to his ever-expanding furry throat sack

I know a guy that looks a lot like him. Maybe some congenital defect?

• Locked thread