Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Horace posted:

The cars are from the early 70s, at the latest. The pink one has an eight track.

And 70's cars weren't an uncommon sight in the 80's and 90's either. I knew people with eight tracks in their cars in tyool 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
They did do one where Homer’s car broke down so he got a loaner car which had loads of cooool features and there were jokes about the crappiness of digital radio and I have literally forgotten the rest of the episode.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Improbable Lobster posted:

The actual thing that dated Simpsons Classic back when it was new is Bart being obsessed with a television variety show clown. Now that's right out of the 50s

I still remember watching Bozo the Clown in the late 80's early 90's as like a 5 year old. Always made Krusty nostalgic for me. Gave me a reference point for local TV clown guy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Last night I watched The Truman Show for the first time in like a decade and the guy who hosts the post-show chat is super obviously Harry Shearer and I’ll never be able to unhear it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
New one was a pastiche of 70s private eye shows where Homer is the main suspect in an art heist.

It was actually good.

Chief Wiggum sounds like Moe now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I caught the last 10 minutes of an episode last week, Marge sounds like her vocal chords have been replaced with styrofoam laden with cigarette butts

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I have laryngitis. It hurts to talk. So I'll say one thing. You never do anything right.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Season 9 is where it all goes downhill for me.

There's a bit shift in tone and more fanciful story lines.

The New York episode, the marooned on an island on a school trip episode, impostor Skinner, the angel bones, etc at the time it felt like I was watching a different show altogether.

Up until that point I would record each episode and watch it 2-3 times during the week like it was religion, but that season opener in New York put a stop to that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Season 9 is pretty good imo. I feel the show really started to slip in 10, gradually got worse in 11 and just became poo poo from 12 onward.

Has anyone here watched every episode? I know most are poo poo but it kinda blows my mind to think that there’s 100s and 100s of episodes to watch of this show that I haven’t seen.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I know that there's a handul of season 12+ episides that I enjoyed as a dumb kid but season 11 is about as far as I can enjoy. Behind the Laughter is a great place to stop.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The New York episode is an absolute gem in spite of the rawness of jerkass homer making its full fledged debut

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jerkass Homer works pretty well there since he's so out of his element, in a town he clearly hates. We all got that one town we despise that just brings out the worst of us whenever we go there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

Jerkass Homer works pretty well there since he's so out of his element, in a town he clearly hates. We all got that one town we despise that just brings out the worst of us whenever we go there.

Plus it gives us the line "eww, I'll take the crab juice"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Season 9 is pretty good imo. I feel the show really started to slip in 10, gradually got worse in 11 and just became poo poo from 12 onward.

Has anyone here watched every episode? I know most are poo poo but it kinda blows my mind to think that there’s 100s and 100s of episodes to watch of this show that I haven’t seen.

I've watched a shitton of episodes because of internet streaming. One of the worst things about non-good simpsons is not even so much that they're bad (tho they are) but that they're god damned boring and forgettable, yet just memorable enough in plot points that there's basically zero point in trying for a rewatch. For instance I have no clue what happens in S16E16 off the top of my head but there's a good chance I've seen it and I have no interest in giving it a second chance.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Im going to give you a 6 hour probation for saying the new episode was good when im not phone posting. can someone post the gif of Ralph not liking it for me to use tia

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've watched a shitton of episodes because of internet streaming. One of the worst things about non-good simpsons is not even so much that they're bad (tho they are) but that they're god damned boring and forgettable, yet just memorable enough in plot points that there's basically zero point in trying for a rewatch. For instance I have no clue what happens in S16E16 off the top of my head but there's a good chance I've seen it and I have no interest in giving it a second chance.

I decided to look it up: it's "Don't Fear the Roofer", guest starring Ray Romano and Stephen Hawking. I've had it on in the background once, it's terrible

Jose posted:

Im going to give you a 6 hour probation for saying the new episode was good when im not phone posting. can someone post the gif of Ralph not liking it for me to use tia

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jose posted:

i didnt say the new episode was good you illiterate

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Not you. Post nouveau

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Going to give you 6 for mod sass though

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Jose posted:

Going to give you 6 for mod sass though

maybe quote first

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think Jose may be the best mod

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I watched all of the simpsons for the first time about 3 years ago. I hadn't been allowed to watch it growing up, and as an adult a friend gave me seasons 1-10 while I was out working for 6 months with no access to the internet. I had such an amazing time going through them. For me the hard line in the sand was the father and son carnys that move in and try to steal the simpsons house. Those character designs were so viscerally unpleasant, the jokes were lame, and the spirit was dead, that I haven't re-visited anything beyond season 8. Life's too short for underwhelming sitcom reruns from 20 years ago.

Jesus, season 9 was 20 years ago.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That carney was voiced by Jim Varney (RIP).

Hey look dad, I'm James Bond!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lot of people seem to reach their 30s and suddenly go "Hey, my parents never let me watch the Simpsons, time to find out what I've been missing"

And now we're in the era when South Park is passé and establishment

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Olaf The Stout posted:

I watched all of the simpsons for the first time about 3 years ago. I hadn't been allowed to watch it growing up, and as an adult a friend gave me seasons 1-10 while I was out working for 6 months with no access to the internet. I had such an amazing time going through them. For me the hard line in the sand was the father and son carnys that move in and try to steal the simpsons house. Those character designs were so viscerally unpleasant, the jokes were lame, and the spirit was dead, that I haven't re-visited anything beyond season 8. Life's too short for underwhelming sitcom reruns from 20 years ago.

Jesus, season 9 was 20 years ago.

Watching the simpsons as a kid was a rare treat for me for the same reason (and it made it doubly funny when my dad lost his poo poo laughing at Rod and Todd beating the poo poo out of each other over a pixie stick when it popped on tv on a family vacation). I'm a little more generous with how to rank them but there's definitely a decline beginning in 9 and being generous I could still stomach a rewatch up to and maybe through 11 but the teens are just heartbreaking.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Data Graham posted:

Lot of people seem to reach their 30s and suddenly go "Hey, my parents never let me watch the Simpsons, time to find out what I've been missing"

:lol: My best friend's mom gave up on that ban on the Simpsons when we were in 8th grade (1994), and he became a Simpsons quoting machine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Milo and POTUS posted:

Watching the simpsons as a kid was a rare treat for me for the same reason (and it made it doubly funny when my dad lost his poo poo laughing at Rod and Todd beating the poo poo out of each other over a pixie stick when it popped on tv on a family vacation). I'm a little more generous with how to rank them but there's definitely a decline beginning in 9 and being generous I could still stomach a rewatch up to and maybe through 11 but the teens are just heartbreaking.

Definitely, I like 11 as a stopping point because it gives you a full TV series arc of rocky start, good poo poo and decline without wallowing in the bottom of a cesspit for 20 more years

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Data Graham posted:

SP also had a huge drop off just before or around when it made it to I think around 10 seasons in. The chef returns episode maybe even more than any single simpsons episode (P&tP even to this day has defenders) was where it took a swing for the dire. I'm starting to think pushing cartoon shows past a point either in episodes or seasons is a bad idea because KotH takes a dip in that range too

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Data Graham posted:

I remember when the Simpsons first came to German TV when I was like 6 and my parents gave one episode a spin to decide whether it's kids friendly. It was Bart the General, and they decided "nope". I hid behind the couch the entire time lol. That was a fun episode to revisit when I was 12 and they stopped giving a poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Smirr posted:

I remember when the Simpsons first came to German TV when I was like 6 and my parents gave one episode a spin to decide whether it's kids friendly. It was Bart the General, and they decided "nope". I hid behind the couch the entire time lol. That was a fun episode to revisit when I was 12 and they stopped giving a poo poo.

My parents did this with Beavis and Butthead (Late Shift), and the whole time they were explaining why B&B were bad. The big thing I remember was my dad saying "they would lose their JOBS!" when they were throwing poo poo at the ceiling fan.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Those character designs were so viscerally unpleasant,

Have you never seen Jim Varney? It's literally a caricature of him.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Smirr posted:

American conservatives despised the simpsons in its heyday and it's really funny in retrospect because they were still more functional a family than many real american families

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My parents were cool and watched it with me from the beginning.:hehe:

They liked that it wasn’t schmaltzy family bullshit like pretty much every other family comedy. Roseanne was another big hit for similar reasons.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Irradiation posted:

Have you never seen Jim Varney? It's literally a caricature of him.

Yes I have. This changes nothing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
My parents also had a ban that I slowly chipped away at until I was watching the reruns every day after school.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

imagine saying a new episode of the simpsons was good smh

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Milo and POTUS posted:

American conservatives despised the simpsons in its heyday and it's really funny in retrospect because they were still more functional a family than many real american families

I can't imagine a modern sitcom coming out with a church going family that have a stay at home mother. It's pretty traditional in the first few seasons. But Bart says 'eat my shorts' a few times, so therefore the show is satanic.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder when the absolute cut off point is where you'd be hard pressed to even find one thing funny at all about an episode is.

pokey mom, when homer became a chiropractor, was season 12, and that still had some funny lines in it.

You brought a convict to live here near my unpatented idea?!

I saw your idea, and i dont want it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

SEX BURRITO posted:

I can't imagine a modern sitcom coming out with a church going family that have a stay at home mother. It's pretty traditional in the first few seasons. But Bart says 'eat my shorts' a few times, so therefore the show is satanic.

Sort of, but under that you've got stuff like Marge teaching Lisa to repress her emotions, Homer teaching Bart to fight dirty and never try at life, and Homer attempting suicide in like the second or third episode.