Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
There any future releases to look forward to similar to Terrible Beauty or Hunger in the Void?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
brb writing a dungeon-crawling high school game

wait gently caress Persona already exists

Serf
May 5, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

There any future releases to look forward to similar to Terrible Beauty or Hunger in the Void?

At the moment not really. The next big release will be Occult Philosophy but that will come after the Kickstarter sometime in 2018. First he's got to do that dumb punkapocalyptic game KS. So in terms of big releases this year, I don't think there will be anything. But Rob has a habit of dropping books no one really knew were coming out of nowhere, so its possible he's got something.

I've been getting the Occult Philosophy playtest docs and there is some interesting stuff in there. The Rank 6+ spells are cool, but there are lots of lower-Rank spells that have neat effects too. I'm eager to see the expanded level 11+ rules because I can't wait to see what non-casters get.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So am I understanding how the Level 8 and Level 5 Warrior perks work?

If you attack 1 target, you do +2d6
If you attack 2 targets you do +1d6 ? <- this is the one I am confused by
If you attack 3 targets it's normal damage

Serf
May 5, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

So am I understanding how the Level 8 and Level 5 Warrior perks work?

If you attack 1 target, you do +2d6
If you attack 2 targets you do +1d6 ? <- this is the one I am confused by
If you attack 3 targets it's normal damage

I don't have the book in front of me, but I think you're right. You're basically trading extra targets for damage or vice versa.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I wanna know if they do new paths for 11-20 or extend existing ones? Maybe a second expert path, a second master path, and (big) epic path or something?

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Even though it kind of goes against the streamlined class design, I'm really interested in a Bred for Battle equivalent for rogues or magicians. Not sure what would even be in it honestly but the expanded options for warrior-like novice paths were really cool and flavorful.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Serf posted:

At the moment not really. The next big release will be Occult Philosophy but that will come after the Kickstarter sometime in 2018. First he's got to do that dumb punkapocalyptic game KS. So in terms of big releases this year, I don't think there will be anything. But Rob has a habit of dropping books no one really knew were coming out of nowhere, so its possible he's got something.

I've been getting the Occult Philosophy playtest docs and there is some interesting stuff in there. The Rank 6+ spells are cool, but there are lots of lower-Rank spells that have neat effects too. I'm eager to see the expanded level 11+ rules because I can't wait to see what non-casters get.

They still letting people sign up for the playtests?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Glukeose posted:

Even though it kind of goes against the streamlined class design, I'm really interested in a Bred for Battle equivalent for rogues or magicians. Not sure what would even be in it honestly but the expanded options for warrior-like novice paths were really cool and flavorful.

honestly it's not even that it's against the design, it's just that those classes need it less- priests are thematically based around their religion so providing support for that makes sense, as do more specialized martial traditions

meanwhile rogues already self-define their builds with the Roguery talents, and wizards through the traditions they select

obviously there are lots of potentially fun mechanical tweaks you could make to either base class, but I think making coherent alternate beginner paths would be more of a challenge

SunAndSpring posted:

I would also like to know!

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 23, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

LGD posted:

I would also like to know!

This is an old post, but the last time someone asked if they could still sign up like a week ago Rob said yes.

Shadow of the Demon Lord Playtest

And if you're looking for the older playtest packets, I definitely can't help you. Especially if you hit me up on my Discord server. There's just nothing I can do.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Can you learn the same spell twice to get more castings?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Can you learn the same spell twice to get more castings?

it's not mentioned in the rules but the official answer on this one is "no"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LGD posted:

it's not mentioned in the rules but the official answer on this one is "no"

Good enough for me, thanks!

On a related note, if you cast Accelerate on yourself on a Fast Turn, can you then take your extra Slow Turn that round, or not until the next one?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
what are the best sources, if any, for the Kalasan landing and the war against the Witch King + very early history of the Empire?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

zeal posted:

what are the best sources, if any, for the Kalasan landing and the war against the Witch King + very early history of the Empire?
Only Human maybe? Don't get me wrong - it's just a few vague paragraphs - so there might be better.

Serf
May 5, 2011

zeal posted:

There isn't much to go for in that department. I believe that's possible future content. Beyond the World's Edge has some hints about the Kalasan homeland, but that's about it.

dwarf74 posted:

Only Human maybe? Don't get me wrong - it's just a few vague paragraphs - so there might be better.

This is true too. There is a little bit of info on the Kalasan's there, but very little concerning the actual time period of their arrival, sadly.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
okay, i've seen those. from my own perusal of the material it looks like the best answer to my own question is Lands in Shadow - Caecras, which is the only place i recall seeing details like the Witch King's actual name, a description of the circumstances of the landing that's more than a couple-sentence blurb, and a few little details of the war.

i hope they one day put out an Age of the Witch King book with rules for the Men of Gog etc.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Just got the core book and I really want to try running this for my Pathfinder group, possibly as a oneshot if we're missing some people. Any tips for DMing, or any particularly good oneshots/adventure paths that would be good to start with?

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Elysiume posted:

Just got the core book and I really want to try running this for my Pathfinder group, possibly as a oneshot if we're missing some people. Any tips for DMing, or any particularly good oneshots/adventure paths that would be good to start with?

Unless the players are down with the whole 'shitfarmers/possibly one shot" gameplay maybe start at level 1 or 2. Be aware level 0 adventures tend to be a bit... overtuned.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I found a Homebrew dark sun SotDL conversion and now I'm morbidly curious to run it. Not sure how well it'll work for the system but couldn't be that bad, right?

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 28, 2018

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I found a Homebrew dark sun SotDL conversion and now I'm morbidly curio to run it. Not sure how well it's work for the system but couldn't be that bad, right?

Sounds interesting, do you have a link?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Antilles posted:

Sounds interesting, do you have a link?

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkvRl6Dwb

Serf
May 5, 2011

Elysiume posted:

"Dark Deeds in Last Hope" is a very solid starting adventure that is light on combat and more about a neat little murder mystery. "The Witching Wood" is also good, though it has more potential to go badly and kill the team. "A Year Without Rain" is super cool and interesting with a mystery/dungeon crawl, but the dungeon itself is way overtuned and I would recommend toning it down a bunch and really weakening the final boss, which instantly killed 2 PCs when I ran it.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Ran my first session yesterday for a new group and holy gently caress I love this game.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

That looks dope, I'll have to give it a proper look-through later but it looks totally doable to run Dark Sun in SotDL with that one.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Serf posted:

"Dark Deeds in Last Hope" is a very solid starting adventure that is light on combat and more about a neat little murder mystery. "The Witching Wood" is also good, though it has more potential to go badly and kill the team. "A Year Without Rain" is super cool and interesting with a mystery/dungeon crawl, but the dungeon itself is way overtuned and I would recommend toning it down a bunch and really weakening the final boss, which instantly killed 2 PCs when I ran it.
Thanks for the recommendations. Are each of those adventures the full 10 segments? I read somewhere that's how SotDL adventure paths worked.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. Are each of those adventures the full 10 segments? I read somewhere that's how SotDL adventure paths worked.

Oh no, they're all level-0 single adventures. Only Tales of the Demon Lord and the Freeport adventure path are full 10-level affairs. I would recommend the Freeport one, the Tales book has some way overtuned low-level stuff

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

For freeport you can also use the freeport trilogy - it seems like it can be used as an adventure path to me and each book is a tier.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Serf posted:

Oh no, they're all level-0 single adventures. Only Tales of the Demon Lord and the Freeport adventure path are full 10-level affairs. I would recommend the Freeport one, the Tales book has some way overtuned low-level stuff
I am 8/11 of the way through the Freeport Trilogy, and it's good, but it feels a bit too rapid-paced. There are at least two chapters where there's extremely little conflict or adventuring, which is still followed by a level-up.

I've padded out the adventures a bit, which has helped. There's an ongoing subplot with the Blackened Knot (because killing Freeport nazis is fun) and another one with a Ferren Pirate Lord.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Note there are two: The Freeport Trilogy and The Queen of Gold - good to know on the former. I'll pad it out if I do it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
drat, my campaign got weird fast

So, the characters have flirted with harvesters, Drudges forces and pirates in order to gain their freedom in Dis, finally settling on smuggling in the forces of Drudge via their secret cave lair below Dis.

To achieve this, they swagged a load of dwarf slaves led by the quixotic Helmuth, who started making a lot of Dorf Fortress-esque swag, while the goblin monk who sets up all their treacherous poo poo deals was contacted by a force of Crusader State knights driven south by the orcs, who also aim at taking the city. He tells them they should attack when they see a red signal rocket (red being the general signal for the insurrection, the orc gladiator PC is supposed to smear himself in red paint when it goes down), buys the rocket and tells Helmuth to set it up, then forgets about it.

The dwarves fix a tin-plated missile silo connected to a conspicous lever. I mention this, but it is again forgotten in the general plotting.

The orc army is smuggled in, while the orc gladiator fights. I roll a chance die, and an orc pulls the lever.

The gladiator PC, who wasn't even informed the crusader army existed, goes buck wild, dunking himself in red paint and assaults the Bronze elite guards, getting critted in the face and loses his nose gaining 2 IP, the mage char jumps off a battlement garrotting an enemy, while the goblin monk, high on chi focus, zips around throwing lamp oil at the colosseum gate houses, causing the gates to fall while the orcs slaughter the slaveholding elite.

I don't even know where to go from here, but it sure turned epic quickly :D

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 29, 2018

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

So, found this thread through the 5e thread, the opening post is a really good pitch, decided $20 isn't too big an ask for the PDF.

I'm liking what I'm reading so far, but I gotta say: the OP didn't prepare me for it being so... poopy.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

FoldableHuman posted:

So, found this thread through the 5e thread, the opening post is a really good pitch, decided $20 isn't too big an ask for the PDF.

I'm liking what I'm reading so far, but I gotta say: the OP didn't prepare me for it being so... poopy.

There's lots of gross stuff, including one super gross magic tradition, but in terms of game mechanics you can ignore almost all of it and run it in a totally normal fantasy setting.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Which tradition is the super-gross one? I haven't read through those at all - still waiting for the day I get to play this game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Which tradition is the super-gross one? I haven't read through those at all - still waiting for the day I get to play this game.

Forbidden magic is basically "poop and worms, the school."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Forbidden magic is basically "poop and worms, the school."
Lol okay I remember reading the "horrid joining" capstone and thinking it was cool but indeed, those are pretty gross. My rpg experience has been just fine without any dicks falling off.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lol okay I remember reading the "horrid joining" capstone and thinking it was cool but indeed, those are pretty gross. My rpg experience has been just fine without any dicks falling off.
Dehumanize yourself and face to dicks falling off.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It's fairly easy to get rid of the more shock horror stuff if you so desire. I use them because I like having a d20 game with horror themes but I do diverge from the campy or dumb stuff when I do it. It's not scary to get your dong shot off by a wizard, after all.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I love the idea of a uterus getting dehydrated like a grape and just plopping on out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.
Quick rules question that came up in my game today. Can a level 5 rogue use trickery on the same attack twice, or do they need a second attack to take advantage of rogue cunning?