Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

This must be what all of that weird non-euclidean, extra dimensional poo poo Lovecraft went on about but never explained in any detail looked like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm trying to decide if the weird gradients are an attempt to make it look like glare from photographing a wall hanging.

And then am curious if they think it works.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Oh Flickr...

Edit:

Dude takes his Flickring seriously!

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 12, 2018

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
With photos as stunning as those, how could he not take Flickr srsly? :dance:

But seriously, that community is terrifying.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
:rolleye:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ianskate posted:

With photos as stunning as those, how could he not take Flickr srsly? :dance:

But seriously, that community is terrifying.

All of those weird “awards” give that place kind of a Myspace vibe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which make sense because flickr and myspace come from the same era of the internet.

At least your photos are yours and not owned by some Chinese version of getty or Facebook!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

xzzy posted:

At least your photos are yours and not owned by some Chinese version of getty or Facebook!

I'm too lazy to check, but does Facebook actually exert rights on the pictures you upload to Facebook?

Also has anyone seen an actual critical comment on Flickr?

Edit: Is there a version of this thread where we link to good photographs?

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 12, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

Which make sense because flickr and myspace come from the same era of the internet.

Holy cow. I honestly did not know that.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm too lazy to check, but does Facebook actually exert rights on the pictures you upload to Facebook?

Also has anyone seen an actual critical comment on Flickr?
I've got a comment on one of my pictures politely telling me I've misidentified the bird in the picture. That's about as close as they come.

Well, that and the clearly-written-with-one-hand comments under every picture ever on Flickr showing an animal's anus. Those are "critical" in a certain kind of way. I re-examined some of my life choices after I got followed by that guy.

EDIT: timely! I just paid my annual dues for my "Professional" account on Flickr. It's automatic billing so unless I'm really on the ball in the first week of March it just goes through. Whatever. I like having unlimited photostorage space.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

Holy cow. I honestly did not know that.

Yeah, it was from back when Yahoo! was relevant. AOL had their own service in competition, but everyone used Flickr leading to a lot of chin stroking about how terrible it was that a single company would have such a monopoly on searches as well as content...

AOL then proceeded to eat their own dicks, descend into self-parody with Shingy and most people now only remember that Flickr is Yahoo, when they forget their password and have to try to figure out why the hell they still have a Yahoo.com email in TYOOL 2018.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Not really*, but it's scary how many people believe this.

*same typical wording as is used by any other media sharing site

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Not really, facebook and instagram have boilerplate "we can use anything you upload anywhere we want" language in their eula, but to my knowledge they've never taken someone's upload and used it for marketing or anything.

But every photo site does that, it's obligatory for any social media features to actually be able to function.

But flickr is a standout for allowing full size uploads and having a pretty cool api. 500px and instagram are pure pain.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Oh, and yeah:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3229836

Guess what, no one posts in there because it's way more fun to hate on bad pictures.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Heh. Just check my post history in some of the other threads. Heh. :smug:

:negative:

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

xzzy posted:

Guess what, no one posts in there because it's way more fun to hate on bad pictures.

When I was starting out I read every page of the then-current Best Photographer thread and I think having a ton of people picking apart what, to my untrained eye, looked like acceptable images really helped me.

Also it's hilarious

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
I recently resurrected my Flickr account having not really used it much over the past few years and man had I ever forgot how weird Flickr is when you dig beneath the surface. Case in point, this guy. Hundreds of photos of women processed to such an extreme I'm not even sure you could even call it HDR and terrifying dead eyes:

Women world 236
by gianfranco romano, on Flickr

Women world 207 by gianfranco romano, on Flickr

And every single one has like 25,000 views and a comment section that looks like this:

Click on any of the commenters to find another treasure trove of HDR'd awfulness or inexplicable banality. It's like a Mandelbrot set of poor taste and bad choices, it's clarity sliders all the way down.

And that's not even getting to the groups. I've just moved cities and thought I'd look and see if there was a local photographers group to give me some ideas of where to head with my camera and stumbled across this:

Full. Pairs. Only.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Where do I buy a lens with two DOF zones?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I think that post actually burnt my eyes. Congratulations. I’ve never been injured over the internet before.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Holistic Detective posted:

I recently resurrected my Flickr account having not really used it much over the past few years and man had I ever forgot how weird Flickr is when you dig beneath the surface. Case in point, this guy. Hundreds of photos of women processed to such an extreme I'm not even sure you could even call it HDR and terrifying dead eyes:

Women world 236

And every single one has like 25,000 views and a comment section that looks like this:

Click on any of the commenters to find another treasure trove of HDR'd awfulness or inexplicable banality. It's like a Mandelbrot set of poor taste and bad choices, it's clarity sliders all the way down.

And that's not even getting to the groups. I've just moved cities and thought I'd look and see if there was a local photographers group to give me some ideas of where to head with my camera and stumbled across this:

Full. Pairs. Only.

What the gently caress is even happening in that first image

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i'm the one knee wrinkle left untouched

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Did he color in the flower pots?

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

GrandpaPants posted:

Did he color in the flower pots?

Oh my god, I hadn't even noticed that. I think you may be right...

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Holistic Detective posted:

Women world 236

He takes beautiful women, puts them in his computer, then clicks their buttons and moves their sliders.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

He takes beautiful women, puts them in his computer, then clicks their buttons and moves their sliders.

Shoot I'd be less offended if moving sliders was all he was doing. It takes a concentrated effort to be that creepy/awful.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Forget it Jake, it's Women World.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

xzzy posted:

Where do I buy a lens with two DOF zones?

Ask a filmmaker! http://vashivisuals.com/splitting-focus-de-palmas-blow/

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/Rschooley/status/975593456201433088/photo/1

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's from a cellphone right?

Unless someone was super excited to get their 10mm lens finally and had to find an excuse to use it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s nothing quite like framing body parts at the edge of a frame in a wide angle shot so it looks like they have hulk hands. Surprised Donny hasn’t specifically requested that from the photographer himself.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
It's a Reuters photo, albeit from a photog on the WH beat with lots of experience shooting the Obamas. Not official as such but hoo boy I'm hoping that's distortion on Huckabee's truckasaurus hands

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Uptime Sinclair posted:

Huckabee's truckasaurus hands

If you’re used to mutilating the truth all day then mutilating cars probably comes naturally.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

If you’re used to mutilating the truth all day then mutilating cars probably comes naturally.
Well put.

It's a bit strange how the right side is possibly distorted but the left side isn't. Wouldn't that be some poo poo if he cropped the left edge out just to spite her, lol

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm more impressed by the way that photo fits a narrative of "chaos in the oval office". Never mind the physical appearance of the people, it's the action and the facial expressions that draws me in. It's a picture of anarchy, an rear end in a top hat boss yelling shittiness at his subordinate while another hapless minion looks on in shock.

How the gently caress did that get past the press office?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There probably isn't a press office, gotta drain that swamp and all that. Trump personally reviews everything and since that's literally impossible he just rubber stamps it all.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Glad he has two phones. One for each hand/ear.

“Buy low! Sell high!”

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One of them's probably the mega secure military go apeshit on someone phone, it has a huge box stuck to the back of it.

I wonder how often he mixes them up. "I need a big mac right now!" "sir this isn't the kitchen, you just called the air force."

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Randomly clicked on this ... he's at it again! This time he wants to start his own gallery!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/comments/86bq32/i_am_interested_in_starting_a_gallery_for/

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Randomly clicked on this ... he's at it again! This time he wants to start his own gallery!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/comments/86bq32/i_am_interested_in_starting_a_gallery_for/

A stock photo service with submission standards??? This is some truly groundbreaking poo poo!

President Beep fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I feel bad because pretty much all his posts are just low hanging fruit.....

I have to edit this as I found a better low hanging fruit. I think this might take the prize.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 23, 2018