Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Most efficiant thing to do as newbie in eureka is prob just find a fate party asap and try get to them without dying to often, then stick with the group (strenght in numbers) and pay attention so u don't end up dead away from the crowd.
If possible go on a class that can raise (red mage aka rezzmage is popular for this reason) and then more or less be a raise bot, tag bosses once for credit but don't bother wasting mp on dps if you aren't within 5-6 levels of em, you wont deal any worthwhile damage and mp is better spent on ressing.
You won't get any exp from regular mobs in fate groups due to level differences and you will level soley out of the exp from the FATE bosses.

After 20 or so hours of brainless FATE grinding you may be high enough level to contribute much as a dps/tank or healer, but don't be disappointed that you are more or less leeching exp until that point, just try to be as usefull as possible, Eureka is what it is and fun is something its for the most part isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hit 70 on my first class, AST, and finished the AST story with it.

60-70 AST isn't a bad story, it's just... not about being an AST. I think that's been my biggest issue with the astrologian class story: it's never been about learning to be an astrologian beyond a brief info dump about each constellation, and I have no sense of what it means to be one. The entire astrologian storyline is alternating "Someone's trying to kill Leveva again!" and "Have you heard the good news of Sharlayan astrology?" concluding with "Lemme tell you about this thing called geomancy!" I have no sense of identity for the class, and it doesn't feel meaningful to the story that the Warrior of Light is one.

If anything, the SB AST story feels like it should have been a WHM story given that it's about nature magic that invokes the elements.

A pity, but at least this means the bar is set very low indeed for whatever class I level next.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
A good number of the job quests feel kind of boring at times. Every Black Mage quest for instance is "Reeeee, Black Magic? This is the power of EVIL! :argh:" "No, Black Magic has the potential to be used for good instead of evil." "Oh, I see. I'll change my perceptions from now on. :)"

Summoner has the best quests, though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Cythereal posted:

60-70 AST isn't a bad story, it's just... not about being an AST.

Much like the rest of the AST questlines, the whole 'being an AST' thing is delivered in an infodump near the start and then forgotten about to go actually do things instead of standing around talking and philosophizing about it.

In the 60-70 case, you being an AST means teaching someone else about the constellations that you draw power from and in turn learning about how geomancy does the same thing only looking down instead of up. Or pre-copernicus astrology (geomancy) compared to solar-centric (AST) astrology if you prefer that analog.

One thing that might help with the identity of the class is something that's easily overlooked: you know how Jannequinard and Leveva reference doing the Tarot prediction thing and you don't seem to do that? Technically you do. In combat. To give yourself or allies power.
That's right, you tell vague-as-heck fortunes (you're gonna hit harder, you feel lucky, you're going to have more physical/mystical energy) with immediate and noticeable payoffs.

Miss Cleo would be envious as all getout :v:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I also thought the 60-70 DRK quest line was saved by the final journal entry and the final instance being fun enough. I never thought I would enjoy the PLD quests more, but I certainly did.

quote:

One of the viewers said Yoshi-p's Lala is ugly and he was hurt by that comment. Death scythe Hayashi agreed to it and Yoshi-p said "I'll kill you" (not to the viewer).

:allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I want to play XIV with Yoshi-P.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Much like the rest of the AST questlines, the whole 'being an AST' thing is delivered in an infodump near the start and then forgotten about to go actually do things instead of standing around talking and philosophizing about it.

In the 60-70 case, you being an AST means teaching someone else about the constellations that you draw power from and in turn learning about how geomancy does the same thing only looking down instead of up. Or pre-copernicus astrology (geomancy) compared to solar-centric (AST) astrology if you prefer that analog.

One thing that might help with the identity of the class is something that's easily overlooked: you know how Jannequinard and Leveva reference doing the Tarot prediction thing and you don't seem to do that? Technically you do. In combat. To give yourself or allies power.
That's right, you tell vague-as-heck fortunes (you're gonna hit harder, you feel lucky, you're going to have more physical/mystical energy) with immediate and noticeable payoffs.

Miss Cleo would be envious as all getout :v:

But contrast the CNJ and WHM quests, where you're out doing something specifically and immediately applicable to your class that only that class could do, and you learn a bit more about the class in the process. Or the DRK quests, where they weaponize their mental illness.

Aside from the infodumps, the AST story feels like it could have been done by any healer - any class at all for the constant "Someone wants to kidnap Leveva!" nonsense.

I think setting the ASTs in Ishgard is part of the problem. There's nothing interesting to that, beyond the standard "Ishgardians are snobby xenophobes" that's already thoroughly covered by the msq. I think putting the ASTs in Limsa Lominsa (astronomy's always been closely associated with maritime navigation, after all) or maybe Gridania would have been a better choice.

Astrologian also seems to me to be a very high-concept class. You're a mage who deals in the magic of time and fate. That's a hard kind of magic to tell a story around, but I think it had the potential for far more interesting stories than what we got. I think there definitely should have been a story arc about explicitly trying to change what seems fated - better, tie that into the MSQ. Or use the time magic aspect to view the past or future more directly. Or even go whole hog and have a time travel plot. But Squeenix doesn't seem interested in engaging with the very interesting concept behind the astrologians.

For a class that studies the magic of the stars to unlock power over time and fate, manipulating these awesome cosmic forces to aid and heal, the astrologians are an incredibly underwhelming bunch of one-note nerds.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, in hindsight, AST really has nothing to do with Ishgard at all. MCH, as boring as its storyline is, at least has the whole class division thing as part of its plot.

Also, The Grinche.

Cythereal posted:

Or even go whole hog and have a time travel plot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I have no idea what that is. Either it's from later in SB than I'm at or it's from optional stuff I haven't done.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Please do Alexander

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, in hindsight, AST really has nothing to do with Ishgard at all. MCH, as boring as its storyline is, at least has the whole class division thing as part of its plot.
How do you mean? It's deeply rooted in Ishgard. The entire reason Sharlayan astrology is out here at all is that the Ishgardians use a functional but limited system of astrological analysis as a way to gather information about what the dragons are up to, and Jannequinard tried to learn the more advanced form in order to do something with his life as a nobleman.

In the course of the plot you overcome the crimes and limitations of the past and forge a new future which is presented optimistically if not utopically; Sharlayan astrology is going to spread out of you, Leveva and Jannequinard. Both the key NPCs find resolution and a new direction forwards.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I know the Ishgardians used the Dragon Star to predict the movement patterns of the horde, but it didn't particularly feel like there was anything about Ishgard in particular that required it to be the setting for the AST storyline. Especially since it felt like you spend more time dealing with the evil Duskwight lady and Dio Brando, barring a few quests around Level 50.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

DRK's 50 and 70 quest are what makes DRK quest's so good. The rest are either building up to those two or watching someone else faff around figuring out that Ansem's Heart of Darkness shtick is, in fact, not how things work.

Frey knows how to make a scene where everything clicks and recontextualizes the quests you been doing up until that point. That's the real power of the DRK storyline. I too wasn't fond of Frey nor of Mythe when doing their quests but the capstones really made appreciate the meaning underneath the annoyance I felt while doing them.

Bonus: Mythe's whole thing ties neatly into Fordola's 'peek into the WoL's past' bit. Just from a different angle :v:

Cythereal posted:

I think setting the ASTs in Ishgard is part of the problem. There's nothing interesting to that, beyond the standard "Ishgardians are snobby xenophobes" that's already thoroughly covered by the msq. I think putting the ASTs in Limsa Lominsa (astronomy's always been closely associated with maritime navigation, after all) or maybe Gridania would have been a better choice.

For a class that studies the magic of the stars to unlock power over time and fate, manipulating these awesome cosmic forces to aid and heal, the astrologians are an incredibly underwhelming bunch of one-note nerds.

There's a very good reason it's set in Ishgard: they're the only ones that already make heavy use out of astrology to merit the high-concept nature of Practical Space Magic. Limsa could have them except they're pirates, not scholars, all they really care about stellar matters is navigating by them. I could see a smart pirate being one, but that would make a horrible bed for teaching other people to do it since, ostensibly, said Astrologian Pirate would be using his Space Magic powers to pirate better and wouldn't want the competition.
Gridania would have the same problem that Ishgard has only from a different angle. Replace 'snobby xenophobes who abhor the idea of the plebeian classes gaining power' with 'temperamental forces of nature that will have things their way or everything dies.'

Do agree that AST's concepts are underutilized in the story but to whit: the echo already covers the most practical-without-being-mindblowingly-overpowered use of time magic that AST's can do (seeing past events in other people's memories and reading the future to know where AoE attacks will land etc.) and going beyond that is getting into 'too powerful for the stories own good' territory.
Freaking Olan's Galaxy Stop man. The OG Astrologian Power that could utterly trivialize the one fight in the game it was in.
I do hope SE does a 'reading fate and mucking about with the interpretations of that fate' storyline in AST's future though. That's a pretty fertile area to tell a story about. Certainly more than the 'Leveva made a reading about this! She's rather worried about it! But that's ok, fate says it'll be ok. She thinks.' bit we already got.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cythereal posted:

I have no idea what that is. Either it's from later in SB than I'm at or it's from optional stuff I haven't done.

Let us know when you want to do Alexander. We'll run you through the whole raid.

Also, you should do coil as well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Limsa could have them except they're pirates, not scholars, all they really care about stellar matters is navigating by them. I could see a smart pirate being one, but that would make a horrible bed for teaching other people to do it since, ostensibly, said Astrologian Pirate would be using his Space Magic powers to pirate better and wouldn't want the competition.

Well, except for the small matter that there's an entire guild of mages based in Limsa who got their start as a piratical tradition that's noted to be extremely intellectually demanding and most NPCs you see of the class are from Sharlayan, and they're a well integrated part of Limsa Lominsa...

homeless snail posted:

Please do Alexander

I've been told it's a very difficult raid that's really hard to pug in an alliance raid roulette, like Binding Coil. I don't do hard raids in MMOs anymore. Paid my dues in vanilla WoW and TBC, not eager to revisit those days.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

EponymousMrYar posted:

DRK's 50 and 70 quest are what makes DRK quest's so good. The rest are either building up to those two or watching someone else faff around figuring out that Ansem's Heart of Darkness shtick is, in fact, not how things work.

I think the level 50-60 DRK story quests don't get enough credit. They're not big on character development like the 30-50/60-70 quests, but the loving climax of it was so loving good.

I was certain that Sid was going to try to kill the mother and the daughter would argue for him to spare her, leading to an eye-rolly ending. Instead, when the daughter runs up and says "I had hoped she would forgive me. Let us pray she finds peace in the next life." I loving cheered out loud because it completely defied my expectations. I think I took like 20 screenshots during that cutscene because I was so loving satisfied.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I know the Ishgardians used the Dragon Star to predict the movement patterns of the horde, but it didn't particularly feel like there was anything about Ishgard in particular that required it to be the setting for the AST storyline. Especially since it felt like you spend more time dealing with the evil Duskwight lady and Dio Brando, barring a few quests around Level 50.
I figured that was an artifact of how they made the game, they invented AST for Heavensward. They probably consider that to be a bad route considering that both the SB jobs are just gotten off of idiots in Ul'Dah.

I don't know if it comes up before the 2.x patch quests but didn't the Ishgard astrology school thing get established before then? I don't know if the Sharlayan outpost was a big thing or not prior to that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I've been told it's a very difficult raid that's really hard to pug in an alliance raid roulette, like Binding Coil. I don't do hard raids in MMOs anymore. Paid my dues in vanilla WoW and TBC, not eager to revisit those days.
There's two difficulty modes, that's true for savage but normal Alexander is easier than EX primals. Also you can just unsync it now, as with Coil.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Whoever told you that is both incredibly wrong and incredibly dumb. We'll run it unsync and it won't be a problem at all. We're not running savage, just normal mode and it was a piece of cake to pub at launch when synced.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Also re: putting that into Limsa, they probably would have had to rebuild Limsa to have room for the AST job poo poo and if it tied into SCH, now you have THREE jobs getting off the ARC XP bar, and at that point it is just dumb, especially since two of them are healers.

I bet there's some guy in the office who kept bringing that up though, which is why RDM/SAM are just some guys.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
8s is still dickish to a level 70 party though, way nastier than anything in coil was to a level 60 party.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That said, Alexander Savage is a soul-crushing experience, even if you're unsynced.

Are there any goons here that could help me clear A8S sometime for the minion? :negative:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Grab 7 goons and they'll run you through them, they're easy on normal mode, even synced. I'd offer but I'm in the EU fc.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Well, except for the small matter that there's an entire guild of mages based in Limsa who got their start as a piratical tradition that's noted to be extremely intellectually demanding and most NPCs you see of the class are from Sharlayan, and they're a well integrated part of Limsa Lominsa...
And are too busy dealing with pirates to get beyond Mathamagic. Much like how the Rogues are too busy dealing with pirates to be noble pocketswagglers elsewhere.

Mordiceius posted:

I think the level 50-60 DRK story quests don't get enough credit. They're not big on character development like the 30-50/60-70 quests, but the loving climax of it was so loving good.
It was a good conclusion yes.

It was not an 'oh my god so that's what was going on until now oh wait gently caress drat that means my darkness comes from being so annoyed at doing all of these insipid quests that's great and this is just like that time on Mt. Ordeals and it's so freaking perfect' conclusion however.

It's the difference between a subversion of expectations done well which is always nice to see, to a plot twist done nigh-perfectly which is a magical unicorn grail in the world of storytelling.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'm getting the hang of what Eureka is, and I'm slowly leveling up. The thing I need to do now is get better at finding fate train groups that actually want to fate train and not just hang around and chain mobs 4-5 levels higher than everyone for 35 xp each. It's like, "Oh, you're doing Teles? I'll Teles with you! Cool, that was fun! We got a buncha xp, crystals and lockboxes! Okay where to next? Just gonna stand around and kill Leshys for 90 minutes? All right... sounds... good... I guess."

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

so on Sunday I found out that a BLM can survive O6S's Earthquake if they have Manaward up (and they have the fire resist) and I guess I'm never getting in the plane again

healers adjust

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

vOv posted:

so on Sunday I found out that a BLM can survive O6S's Earthquake if they have Manaward up (and they have the fire resist) and I guess I'm never getting in the plane again

healers adjust

Before I try this and get mocked by my static when I die, how much HP do you have/do I need to addle it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Before I try this and get mocked by my static when I die, how much HP do you have/do I need to addle it.

I have something like 41k base HP, but I survived pretty comfortably. But I think I also had some shields from our DRK/WAR as well as an Apoc from our other caster. Sorry :shrug:

e: static mate says it hits for 45k base, so you'll be fine with a Manaward.

vOv fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 24, 2018

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cythereal posted:

You are misinformed. Alliance raids are the 24 man raids, Crystal Tower, Shadows of Mhach, and Rabanastre, which is what the alliance roulette puts you in. Binding Coil, Alex, and the current Datascape raids are 8 man and have two difficulty levels. The normals are meant to be done weekly by almost anyone, while the savages are the actual hard modes. The normals are also the only part with story, savage is just for gear. Binding Coil and Alex are also super easy to get through now that the echo bonus has been applies to them.

All of the non-savage stuff is fun and relatively easy to do, give or take the competency of pubbies.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I did sigmascape for the first time yesterday and Kefka feels like a fight made for Savage. Like there’s so much potential for fucky mechanics with confusion and the weird tower but I feel like normal doesn’t utilize either super well. I did enjoy it, though, and I’m curious about Omegascape or whatever they’ll call the last third. I hope sephiroth shows up but I know he won’t

Also XIV Kefka looks a lot like Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn and I don’t know how I feel about that

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Alex is very quick to queue for and not difficult to do at all. It has some of the coolest fun boss fights in any MMO and they are tuned for casual players.

Alexander also has an amazing framing story that involves groundhog day but it's a kitten instead of Bill Murray.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Leofish posted:

I'm getting the hang of what Eureka is, and I'm slowly leveling up. The thing I need to do now is get better at finding fate train groups that actually want to fate train and not just hang around and chain mobs 4-5 levels higher than everyone for 35 xp each. It's like, "Oh, you're doing Teles? I'll Teles with you! Cool, that was fun! We got a buncha xp, crystals and lockboxes! Okay where to next? Just gonna stand around and kill Leshys for 90 minutes? All right... sounds... good... I guess."

This is a little weird, because I haven't actually seen a single party in any Eureka instance opt to do monster camping over chasing NMs. Are you sure they weren't killing the monsters that spawn the NMs? Every boss in Eureka is spawned when you kill it's prerequisite overworld mob, with the chance increasing the more of them get killed.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Are the queues for alex and the lower floors for omega quick? I would assume that they'd have very few players queuing for them, since they are so old and there is no reason for an endgame player to do them more than once. The fights themselves aren't that hard, but unless you are in an FC that will help you out, finding people to do them with you is going to be the real challenge.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Tenik posted:

there is no reason for an endgame player to do them more than once.
They appear in Wondrous Tails, so people still do them, although it might be difficult to do them all at once (with one group). And I mean Alex, Omega is not in WT yet.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 24, 2018

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Thumbtacks posted:

I did sigmascape for the first time yesterday and Kefka feels like a fight made for Savage. Like there’s so much potential for fucky mechanics with confusion and the weird tower but I feel like normal doesn’t utilize either super well. I did enjoy it, though, and I’m curious about Omegascape or whatever they’ll call the last third. I hope sephiroth shows up but I know he won’t

Also XIV Kefka looks a lot like Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn and I don’t know how I feel about that

They literally design fights for Savage and nerf mechanics until they're satisfied.

Also his model and animations are straight from Dissidia.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He even has that weird stride/strut animation. :allears:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

This is a little weird, because I haven't actually seen a single party in any Eureka instance opt to do monster camping over chasing NMs. Are you sure they weren't killing the monsters that spawn the NMs? Every boss in Eureka is spawned when you kill it's prerequisite overworld mob, with the chance increasing the more of them get killed.

No, these weren't spawn monsters, unless the wolves in the tunnel north of camp spawn something I don't know about. I've just wound up in a couple of groups that suddenly just wanted to stop and chain random dudes instead of NMs. That's what they all said they wanted to do, so I dropped the groups to get back on the NM train, but it's weird that it has kept happening.

I'm going to go in with some friends on the weekend and see if I can't get a good NM chain going.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 24, 2018

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Someone did some research on how level affects the XP you get from NMs in Eureka.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XoNuBdcR4FF7V1AcgICuXkqRbJ7Ab_KW5NuNhLpKZ9Y/edit#gid=2059412134

Based on this, from level 1-4, you should just fight the lowbie NMs. You shouldn't ever fight any NM fates more than 2 levels above your own. Once you get to level 5 or higher, it's fine to join the NM train and just fight any and every NMs.

Looking at the XP curve, 1-5 goes kinda slow. 5-15 goes pretty fast, then 15-20 goes kinda slow again.

The problem arises with the fact that nowadays, the train often ignores the level 1-5 fates (and rightfully so IMO).

My advice is this - so if you are a level 1 entering Eureka, buddy up with a level 20 in your guild. Have them spawn the level 1-5 fates for you. As a level 20, they'll be one-shotting the enemies. Just instance hop to an instance with levels 1-5 open, spawn them, kill them, move on. Once you're level 5, join the NM train and just play "normally".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

Raiding was changed between ARR and Heavensward. In ARR there was only Binding Coil and that was a hard mode raid, there was no easy version. They changed the paradigm in Heavensward so that there wasn't story only THE ELITE could see.

Alexander has both Story difficulty, which is utterly casual content, and Savage which was real end game raiding in its time. Same is true for Stormblood's 8 man raid, there's both Story and Savage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

O3 is still the rudest thing ever, though. :argh: