Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My favourite restaurant doesn't accept reservations for only two, but they're always packed and it's hard to get a table for two if you just drop by. Good for them if business is booming like that, but for a while I went there every month and now I haven't been able to get in since December and it's a dumb rule and I want my burgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

My Lovely Horse posted:

My favourite restaurant doesn't accept reservations for only two, but they're always packed and it's hard to get a table for two if you just drop by. Good for them if business is booming like that, but for a while I went there every month and now I haven't been able to get in since December and it's a dumb rule and I want my burgers.

Honest question, because I live in the middle of nowhere and have never encountered this: what happens if you make a reservation for four and the other “couple” gets “delayed” or whatever?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Presumably you then have a table for two, but equally presumably if you go there as much as we do they'll catch on before long. I've considered it but I'd feel a bit dishonest doing it, and I've heard about the problems some restaurants have with reservation no-shows and would rather not be part of that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

burial posted:

Honest question, because I live in the middle of nowhere and have never encountered this: what happens if you make a reservation for four and the other “couple” gets “delayed” or whatever?

I've seen restaurants refuse to seat you until the whole party is there for this reason

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I figured there would be a system in place. I just wanted to know what it was.

I wouldn’t be that bold either.

Also, it seems stupid that they won’t let you make reservations as a couple, but I assume there’s a business reason for that. I know keeping a restaurant open is apparently the most difficult thing ever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

burial posted:

Also, it seems stupid that they won’t let you make reservations as a couple, but I assume there’s a business reason for that. I know keeping a restaurant open is apparently the most difficult thing ever.
I would guess that a table of four takes up much less space than two tables of two, so they can fit more people in. And if they're constantly booked out then it seems like a good idea to try to get as many people in as possible.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think actively turning away customers like that would be a great way to ensure that I'll never go back. Even if I'm by myself I feel like I should be able to reserve a spot. They are well within their rights to maximize profits, I'm just saying that no matter how good they are I'd rather just give my money to another place that doesn't make me jump through hoops of finding a suitable amount of people just to go out to eat.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
The most popular Vietnamese place around here solved that issue by just having huge tables and putting people wherever they can fit. It’s a bit weird to sit at a long table with people you don’t know but it works out well, and walk-ins, even at popular times, don’t wait more than 15/20 min.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think actively turning away customers like that would be a great way to ensure that I'll never go back. Even if I'm by myself I feel like I should be able to reserve a spot. They are well within their rights to maximize profits, I'm just saying that no matter how good they are I'd rather just give my money to another place that doesn't make me jump through hoops of finding a suitable amount of people just to go out to eat.

Restaurants don't fill up the whole place with reservations. Usually around half or so is left for walk-in customers. If you're eating alone, it should be fairly easy to get a seat, especially if you're willing to eat at the bar. Probably less than a 30 minute wait at busy restaurants.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

The most popular Vietnamese place around here solved that issue by just having huge tables and putting people wherever they can fit. It’s a bit weird to sit at a long table with people you don’t know but it works out well, and walk-ins, even at popular times, don’t wait more than 15/20 min.

This is how the beer hall style restaurants work here in Germany. It is a bit weird at first but it's not like you're obligated to talk to them if you don't want to (although it can be nice to). Sometimes I wonder how the wait staff keeps track of who just got here/who needs to order etc since most places you just sit down instead of the standard "wait to be seated" style.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Restaurants don't fill up the whole place with reservations. Usually around half or so is left for walk-in customers. If you're eating alone, it should be fairly easy to get a seat, especially if you're willing to eat at the bar. Probably less than a 30 minute wait at busy restaurants.

I was just talking hypothetically since that poster said they were rejected from reserving for 2 people and I assumed it would also be true of 1 person. I personally have never been turned away, although you can tell sometimes they are reluctant to give up a 2 person table for just one guy (especially if they don't have a bar to eat at).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
As much as I love being validated, I loving hate people who don't plan ahead and get pissy with you because of it.

Every year we host a free tropical fish expo. It's a one-day event and it always gets great reviews. Every year we start registration in January and I loving pimp out the event like I owe the mob a few grand. Every year I get people who ask if they neeeeeed to register, because sending one email to register is such a pain. They'd rather walk up to the registration table, waste my time, want to check out all the rooms before signing in, etc.

Well this year we maxed out the fire code for the building. And of course people lost their poo poo when we closed registration a week before the event. I've gotten a dozen emails and texts and PMs demanding to register and whining when I tell them no, we literally can't.

There's a wait list now. And people bitching because this will be the first time in X number of years they can't go. And I so badly want to shake them and scream if they loving listened to me in all those years they'd be on the loving list!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

That sounds like a great opportunity. Tell them you are out of regular tickets, but since they are so special they qualify for a secret VIP ticket for a small fee of 50 dollars. What are the odds the fire code inspectors or whatever are going to be there anyway.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

That sounds like a great opportunity. Tell them you are out of regular tickets, but since they are so special they qualify for a secret VIP ticket for a small fee of 50 dollars. What are the odds the fire code inspectors or whatever are going to be there anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a fish expo, there's plenty of water.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Aphrodite posted:

It's a fish expo, there's plenty of water.

In fact, I don't think you can have fish where there isn't an incredible amount of water

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You can however they will be dead

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

More like olddrainedfish

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Actually I can (never have) make a mint on drinks, because the club supplies the sodas, and every year I get people asking me how much they are. I need to start charging.

Peeve: it's been ages since I've bought video games, but I really wish there was a way (on the PC) you could demo out something, like Sea of Thieves, before you drop $60 only to find it's a boring game. Maybe it'd be more fun with more content or a way to customize your ship or actually anything period, or the ability for the game to make a crew from other players, but as is it feels half done.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Demos are pretty much a lose-lose prospect for game companies so their pretty much gone from the industry. At least steam allows refunds now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Actually I can (never have) make a mint on drinks, because the club supplies the sodas, and every year I get people asking me how much they are. I need to start charging.

Peeve: it's been ages since I've bought video games, but I really wish there was a way (on the PC) you could demo out something, like Sea of Thieves, before you drop $60 only to find it's a boring game. Maybe it'd be more fun with more content or a way to customize your ship or actually anything period, or the ability for the game to make a crew from other players, but as is it feels half done.

On PC there is.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

If it's on Steam you can get a no questions asked refund i you play for less than 2 hours and have owned the game for less than some number of days (15? 45?). Use that to demo stuff.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It took me two hours to get to a place to save my game in Nier: Automata because my lovely graphics card made everything move that slowly. No refund for me. :mad: I had to upgrade my graphics card, then my PSU to something very very specific so my Dell wouldn't just shrug when I pushed the power button. Most expensive game I ever bought. (I'm enjoying it now, though.)

My expo-related pet peeve: Opening registration without announcing topics or even speakers for an annual industry conference. I'm not going to pay big bucks and fly halfway around the world for the drat thing if I don't know what the hell any of the two days of sessions are going to be about!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I agree that two hours seems pretty strict (and is probably only in place because some indy games can be completely beaten in two hours and they would suffer if people were allowed to just beat and return them), but do you need to save the game if you were going to return it? 2 hours seems long enough to notice that the game isn't actually going to run well enough to play.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Agent355 posted:

I agree that two hours seems pretty strict (and is probably only in place because some indy games can be completely beaten in two hours and they would suffer if people were allowed to just beat and return them), but do you need to save the game if you were going to return it? 2 hours seems long enough to notice that the game isn't actually going to run well enough to play.
I was hopeful. :( I didn't realize it was two hours until I quit to the Steam dashboard.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If the game straight up doesn't run acceptably on your system you can still ask for a refund and there's a chance they'll grant it if you have a good reason, the 2 hour window is just for no questions asked refunds.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Defensive people.

If you're halfway through a shotgun blast of deflections, rationalizations and excuses before the other person has a chance to say "I said *he* not *you*" maybe consider you're a bit sensitive

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well as far as that goes, people who automatically go to disprove whatever you're talking about. Motherfucker I said "sometimes" this happens, that statement allows for all the what-if scenarios you can throw at me. I don't get why people treat every conditional or qualified statement as a challenge. I know there are exceptions! That's why I said sometimes or occasionally.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That, and goons who don't understand general statements. Like, if you say something like "Brazil is the only Portuguese-speaking country in South America" you just know some goon is going to reply :goonsay: "um, actually I know someone from Columbia who speaks Portuguese"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Bees are my ultimate insect pet peeve. There is like a one inch hole in my screen covering a pretty large window and those idiot bugs for some reason are drawn to go through it, then proceed to get stuck trying to get out for like an hour because they keep flying into the same part of the screen over and over. I've tried guiding them to the hole but this just pisses them off. They get so close all the time and then go back down a couple feet to try the same spot they've been trying forever and repeat.

Then after you watch them forever being a moron they suddenly just stop ramming into the screen and immediately find and exit the hole, as if they knew it was there all along.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 14:55 on Mar 24, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

There is like a one inch hole in my screen covering a pretty large window
So stick something over it? Like, a bit of tape or something?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

So stick something over it? Like, a bit of tape or something?

I keep forgetting to buy tape ok. All my other repair attempts that don't involve tape just get messed up by the wind.

the point though is bees and their tremendous stupidity, not my own ineptness at fixing a thing that has been annoying me for over a year. There aren't any flowers in here bee, go home.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 15:10 on Mar 24, 2018

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Then after you watch them forever being a moron they suddenly just stop ramming into the screen and immediately find and exit the hole, as if they knew it was there all along.

This is the really infuriating part.

OH YA LEAVIN NOW? BYE!

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

See if you're going to sit and watch me lift things (the only woman in the free weight area at this time) can u find a place to do so where it's not incredibly obvious what ur doing please, i.e. facing me at all times when I'm in a goddamn corner or maybe actually lift a weight or something yourself as cover????

Another peeve is how hard it is for me to dismiss the feeling I'm just being paranoid when this poo poo happens. It took three different position changes, each one looking right at me before I felt okay hating him for putting me off.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It should be legal to slap someone every time they say "but um" or just "umm" in general. We all know it's a bad habit when you're speaking but there's never any consequences. Have a designated slapper during public talks to keep you in line and we can finally eradicate it. If you really want to reinforce it, have judge judy in the audience shouting out "umm is not an answer" every time someone does it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Can we add a clause for those ending their sentences/long drawn-out stories with "soooooo...yeah"?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

Can we add a clause for those ending their sentences/long drawn-out stories with "soooooo...yeah"?

I am fully in favor of this.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I know someone that mentions having graduated from Yale at least several times a year. That's just around me so I know it must happen way more with other people. What kind of hosed mental condition is that.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

I know someone that mentions having graduated from Yale at least several times a year. That's just around me so I know it must happen way more with other people. What kind of hosed mental condition is that.

I know a guy whose e-mail signature, even on an internal network which can't be accessed on any machine that could possibly send e-mail to the outside world, has "Personal e-mail: <his name>@alum.mit.edu" as its second line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hirayuki posted:

This. I also really hate when people quote somebody and then just write the word “this”. It’s loving stupid.