Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

who is a patron saint of retail workers? i work fast food and pray for the intercession of st lawrence, both for his compassion for the poor and downtrodden and for being cheerful enough to joke about being literally roasted alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
btw i’m going to bed, have a doctor’s appointment around eleven, and have work at 12:30 so for people who hate when thread posters argue with me in this thread you have ample opportunity to post other stuff so people won’t respond to me. i promise if the topic dies out i won’t dredge it up again

al/ lutha mahtin; you think i don’t think i’m a piece of poo poo? you realize the number one reason i don’t own a gun is because i hate guns and number two is i would probably shoot myself during a low point. i make a lot of excuses for why i don’t do any actual activism (1: crowds make me anxious 2: if i get arrested i will be put in holding with men or otherwise abused by the police for being trans and don’t want to be in that situation) and while i am clearly incapable of doing scholarship (don’t have the funds to learn a new field and don’t have a future in the one i’m trained in) i still hold this candle that if i write academically enough it’ll matter. it won’t; writing without praxis is worthless, which is something i have always known and always made excuses about

which is to say; literally any crack you can think of as a personal attack i’ve already made to myself and far worse than you could ever come up with. or what you think is wrong i have no issue with about myself, which does happen from time to time. don’t exactly see how my desire to leave the country after trump (and let’s be honest; would that really have been the worst thing?) is something to be made fun of? at least i actually tried, which is more than most people who talk about it do.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

StashAugustine posted:

who is a patron saint of retail workers? i work fast food and pray for the intercession of st lawrence, both for his compassion for the poor and downtrodden and for being cheerful enough to joke about being literally roasted alive

St. Joseph the Worker is the patron of workers, usually understood to be blue-collar type labor and craftsman. I think he would be a great intercessor.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think the world is taking baby steps forward, there may be setbacks, and forward progress may not be as quickly as we like, but things are changing nonetheless. For instance, there's actually a media conversation about whether the bomber is being characterized as 'troubled' instead of 'a terrorist' because he's white. That's a tiny step forward from where we were a few years ago.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Numerical Anxiety posted:

You know, I glance at the frontpage of the Guardian now and again. When it's my turn, allow me to tell you how contemporary British politics fall far short of what is outlined in the Second Critique. It will be riveting.

Please do. I can try and tell you 1) if you are correct/incorrect and 2) Why you are correct/incorrect. It's important that we discuss these things after all, if not necessarily within this thread.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

ah yes bonhoeffer, the man best known for (a) crying online about how it should be ok to murder people, and (b) trying to run away to japan

This Guy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Bonhoeffer

I know it probably isn't that guy, is it.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 23, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Hey Guns, you're cool and all, but your oddball jabs at Senju show that you really know nothing about the society you live in. None of the rights and privileges you think were made somehow by capitalism were not achieved by people fighting their own government( and dying in droves, mind you) to achieve a more communist distribution of resources, and the benevolent capital owners and their cronies in government going of their way to torture them to death.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Josef bugman posted:

This Guy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Bonhoeffer

I know it probably isn't that guy, is it.

It is that guy. Lutha was saying he thinks Senju is nothing like Bonhoeffer using examples he pulled from her post history.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm not bonhoeffer and i'm not john brown but those guys are basically the ideal to be aspired to imho

also lmao there's a 1/100 chance i have a "benign growth" in my brain so what's up fuckers i'm gonna use that as an excuse as to why i forget things i said, even tho its nowhere near that part of the brain probably

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Hey Guns, you're cool and all, but your oddball jabs at Senju show that you really know nothing about the society you live in.
Or I disagree with you.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
And you guys can all call me Hegel! I went through a period where I changed my name for fun and when I wanted to change it back there was another Hegel on the forums so I couldn't

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

And you guys can all call me Hegel! I went through a period where I changed my name for fun and when I wanted to change it back there was another Hegel on the forums so I couldn't

Clearly you and the other Hegel need to rename yourselves Thesis and Antithesis.

I, simple Mennonite shitposter that I am, have thoughts on the nature of religious pacifism and the Christian call to love our enemies in a world with fascists (oh boy do I) , but I haven't yet managed to get them out of my head in a vaguely coherent way. I guess the executive summary is that sometimes there aren't good choices, indifference to the suffering of people is the worst choice, but that the opposite of indifference isn't necessarily violence.

Also that I really need to get around to rereading The Upside-Down Kingdom (basically the beginner's guide to the social gospel for Anabaptists) like I've been meaning to for like two years now.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 23, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Senju Kannon posted:

lutha mahtin; you think i don’t think i’m a piece of poo poo?

:words:

i don't know about that, but i certainly don't think you're a piece of poo poo. i also think i owe you an apology. i had interpreted some of your posting in these threads over the past year or so as meaning that you were one of the millions of americans who i feel like has kind of gone off the deep end in the past couple years when it comes to politics. but while i think most people would agree that people in our country are more hyped up about politics than they were 3, 5, 10 years ago, i just uncritically filed you away in my "temporary trump insanity" mental folder and rolled with it, without realizing it or ever questioning it. i feel crappy about doing this because one of my big gimmicks personal ideals is that i think part of why our country has gone mad is that people are way too quick to make a knee-jerk reaction and put other people into a mental box, and then never reexamine whether someone should be in that box or if the box is actually some dumb bullshit that is illogical or that is something you grasp at to because of your own prejudices (:ironicat:). realizing this makes me feel crappy about another thing too, which is that i realized a while ago that a lot of the lovely angry posting that you and i have done in these threads ultimately comes from a very similar place, that place being a strong moral and ethical belief that people should not be subject to oppression, so like fuckin double :ironicat: at that i guess

the other thing i want to say is: please take care of yourself. i haven't the same experiences you have had, nor do i fit into all of the same checkboxes, but i've had some major challenges in my life when it comes to health, feeling out of place and marginalized in society, etc., and i know that things like that suck and are hard. i know how easy it is to get down on oneself, down on society, down on life, and i hope that you believe me when i say that it can and does get better. it might seem impossible but please consider that, perhaps, it is actually possible, and that you can do it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
For all that this thread has serious fights from time to time, y'all take forgiveness and introspection very seriously and I think in a lot of ways that's one of the best possible ways to proselytize.

For that matter even the fights are nearly always approached from a perspective of genuine concern re: the other person's thoughts, and I'm not sure how much of that is A/T being a cultural artifact of less lovely times on SA and how much of it is the Christianity but I appreciate it either way.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

docbeard posted:

Clearly you and the other Hegel need to rename yourselves Thesis and Antithesis.
i know right
but they don't even post where i do, i've never even seen them

quote:

sometimes there aren't good choices
most of the time, i think. merely less bad ones

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

For all that this thread has serious fights from time to time, y'all take forgiveness and introspection very seriously and I think in a lot of ways that's one of the best possible ways to proselytize.

For that matter even the fights are nearly always approached from a perspective of genuine concern re: the other person's thoughts, and I'm not sure how much of that is A/T being a cultural artifact of less lovely times on SA and how much of it is the Christianity but I appreciate it either way.
i just think there should be at least one place on the internet to discuss ideas without either hating people you disagree with or saying things you don't mean to get a rise out of people.

i've lost friends since 2016 and i regret it every day

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

Or I disagree with you.

You're a historian, and so it's kind of weird you argue against established facts.

Where do you think the 8 hour workday, 30-38 hour week, sick/maternity leave and vacations come from? The communism fairy?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If star trek hadn't been ruined for these forums forever HE GUL DUKAT would be a great name

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tias posted:

Where do you think the 8 hour workday, 30-38 hour week, sick/maternity leave and vacations come from? The communism fairy?

Legislative action, for the most part. That mostly happened after union organization and activism, a lot of which was responded to violently, no doubt about that. No one is denying there was violence in the labor struggle. But there wasn't violent revolution. And when the FSLA was passed, it wasn't because Roosevelt strung up businessmen on lamposts or sent Republican Senators to prison camps.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Epicurius posted:

Legislative action, for the most part. That mostly happened after union organization and activism, a lot of which was responded to violently, no doubt about that. No one is denying there was violence in the labor struggle. But there wasn't violent revolution. And when the FSLA was passed, it wasn't because Roosevelt strung up businessmen on lamposts or sent Republican Senators to prison camps.

Keep telling yourself that. Of course legislation is technically correct, but said legislation would never even have been considered if it wasn't for a whooole lotta injured and dead cops sent out to protect the privileges of the rich.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tias posted:

Keep telling yourself that. Of course legislation is technically correct, but said legislation would never even have been considered if it wasn't for a whooole lotta injured and dead cops sent out to protect the privileges of the rich.

That has nothing to do with communism, though. Workers were agitating for shorter work weeks before Karl Marx was born.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

You're a historian, and so it's kind of weird you argue against established facts.

after decades of lobbying and pressure groups, legislators wrote laws, which changed the status quo

your economic opinions are not "established fact." they are opinions. you also don't know as much about the history of the US as you think you do.

edit: also none of the things that you mentioned are communism

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 24, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

or the actions of less famous but still important activists/politicians like the first Roosevelt back when he was mayor of NYC

i mostly wanted to mention the first Roosevelt because he did more than the caricature suggests

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 23, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

shame on an IGA posted:

If star trek hadn't been ruined for these forums forever HE GUL DUKAT would be a great name
HEGEL DUKAT deserves a really nerdy joke that I just can't see my way into making

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tias posted:

How many? There was violence by strikers, sure, but not that much. The biggest violent incident was probably the Battle of Blair Mountain in 1921, between coal workers in West Virginia, and strikebreakers, police and the army, and that ended with about 100 miners and 30 police killed.

The most violent single action was probably the bombing of the Los Angeles Times by somebody associated with the International Association of Bridge Structural Iron Workers, which started a fire that killed 21 Times employees and injured over 100. Most of the violence associated with the union movement, though, was against the unions, and against striking workers, not by it. And the first work day laws were passed before the big uptick of violence, The first 10 hour day law was a result of the Philadelphia Strike of 1835, which was entirely peaceful.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

HEGEL DUKAT deserves a really nerdy joke that I just can't see my way into making

we may affirm absolutely that nothing great in the World has been accomplished without enslaving Bajorans.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Deteriorata posted:

That has nothing to do with communism, though. Workers were agitating for shorter work weeks before Karl Marx was born.

I mean, Marx didn't conjure communism out of thin air. "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles", after all.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

I mean, Marx didn't conjure communism out of thin air. "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles", after all.

Yes, and I get credit for winning WWII because I wrote about how much I hate Nazis in 8th grade.

Communism doesn't get to claim credit retroactively for anything that ever happened that's related to its ideology.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I have no idea who you're arguing against with that post. We were talking about historical worker movements and the methods they employed, not trying to score points for ideologies as if they were sport teams.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i don't know about that, but i certainly don't think you're a piece of poo poo. i also think i owe you an apology. i had interpreted some of your posting in these threads over the past year or so as meaning that you were one of the millions of americans who i feel like has kind of gone off the deep end in the past couple years when it comes to politics. but while i think most people would agree that people in our country are more hyped up about politics than they were 3, 5, 10 years ago, i just uncritically filed you away in my "temporary trump insanity" mental folder and rolled with it, without realizing it or ever questioning it. i feel crappy about doing this because one of my big gimmicks personal ideals is that i think part of why our country has gone mad is that people are way too quick to make a knee-jerk reaction and put other people into a mental box, and then never reexamine whether someone should be in that box or if the box is actually some dumb bullshit that is illogical or that is something you grasp at to because of your own prejudices (:ironicat:). realizing this makes me feel crappy about another thing too, which is that i realized a while ago that a lot of the lovely angry posting that you and i have done in these threads ultimately comes from a very similar place, that place being a strong moral and ethical belief that people should not be subject to oppression, so like fuckin double :ironicat: at that i guess

the other thing i want to say is: please take care of yourself. i haven't the same experiences you have had, nor do i fit into all of the same checkboxes, but i've had some major challenges in my life when it comes to health, feeling out of place and marginalized in society, etc., and i know that things like that suck and are hard. i know how easy it is to get down on oneself, down on society, down on life, and i hope that you believe me when i say that it can and does get better. it might seem impossible but please consider that, perhaps, it is actually possible, and that you can do it

i just want you to know i appreciate this and the only reason i’m not responding to it more is because i’m starting to realize just how likely it is i have a tumor, even if the odds are stacked in my favor

i’m more likely to get the mri results back and have a tumor than catch a shiny pokémon when i get home. and it’s on the brainstem, too, that ain’t good. shotgunning through the five stages right now

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If you truly believe you have a brain tumor stop posting about it and go to the doctor. I think you might just be having a stress-induced minor mental health crisis though.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i saw my doctor today and she told me i might have a benign growth on my brain stem and ordered an mri for me, but that it's very unlikely (one out of a hundred people have it, she said, which is... one percent, when ideally i would want it to be .01% for me to feel at ease). i waited to get my work schedule for next week so i would know when to schedule it, and i'm going to call to make the appointment tomorrow before i go to work.

so like... i have no idea what you want me to do? i am seeing a doctor who ordered an mri that i am going to schedule and am having a minor freakout about "dang there could be a tumor on my brain" which i feel is kinda... like... appropriate???

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sorry, I didn't read between the lines on your recent posts and it just seemed like you came up with the tumor idea out of nowhere.

Hopefully it's nothing and not if not nothing then at least not malignant. I think you'd probably be having more serious issues than minor forgetfulness if it was though.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i mean i've had more problems, forgetfulness isn't actually a symptom (i don't actually have memory problems, though i will admit it'd be hard to find out if i did since my brother and mother have really bad memory so my internal standard for "good memory" is low). that's why it was a joke; if i did have a tumor, it wouldn't have anything to do with that, but i'd pull the "i have a tumor" card for anything cognitive i'd gently caress up.

the doctor was an ent i saw because i have had recurring issues of vertigo. most likely bppv, but apparently my hearing isn't the same in both ears which can be a sign of a tumor. doing some online research for "benign tumor brain stem" it seems like the mri was ordered out of an abundance of caution due to all these factors, but abundance of caution still equates to "one out of one hundred," which, considering i have a friend from college who has very severe cancer which hasn't responded to recent treatments very well, sounds like a large chance when it comes to tumors.

if i didn't explain the situation very well its because i was going through "holy gently caress the odds of me having a tumor are infinitely better than me opening up pokemon moon and running into a wild shiny immediately... and people catch shiny pokemon all the time" which, i mean, is irrational because there's an almost infinite amount of potential encounters and almost infinite number of pokemon players having those encounters, whereas for me it's just me and the one time so it's probably less likely than one percent?

i didn't take statistics in college. it's probably my biggest regret because i don't understand dick about statistics and it keeps coming up in my job searches. i wanna do qualitative research, not quantitative!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Thirteen Orphans posted:

It is that guy. Lutha was saying he thinks Senju is nothing like Bonhoeffer using examples he pulled from her post history.

Ohhhh, I got confused and thought they meant that Bonhoeffer did those things. Whoops.

Also hope that everything works out okay Senju!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Hey Guns thinks we can thank murderous kings and capitalist shill politicians for giving us the modern world, when it in fact was created by workers willing to employ violence against said kings and politicians.

That was what I was adressing, not your other posts. Also, communism here was a stand-in for "revolutionary violence", which is what Hegel was faffing liberal both-sides about.

Anyway, I'm done with arguing with regurgitated propaganda - have a good day, all.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tias posted:

Hey Guns thinks we can thank murderous kings and capitalist shill politicians for giving us the modern world, when it in fact was created by workers willing to employ violence against said kings and politicians.

Can't we find common ground here, and be thankful for all the horrible murderers of the world, regardless of social class?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

"Great men are almost always bad men"

this conversation has really gone off track tho

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The best way I've heard an oncologist put it is "Every body mutates a tumor eventually, the question is whether you can put it off long enough for something else to kill you first"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Hey Guns thinks we can thank murderous kings and capitalist shill politicians
as opposed to the people you agree with, who were 100% good forever

quote:

Anyway, I'm done with arguing with regurgitated propaganda
Same, I hope

edit: i don't "thank" anyone for the modern world, because how we got from 3000 years ago to here is the sum of an indefinite number of indefinitely complex processes, most of which have no goal and no inherent morality. there is no such thing as progress, there is no telos in this world. it's all just things influencing one another. sometimes they change, some of the time they don't, and (the historical process that's interesting me right now) sometimes archaic things hang on longer than you expect they will. that's it. it's like "thanking" the movement of water. for what?

also if i'd thank anyone it's the people who put pipes in cities so people could drink clean water. that saved more lives than both our ideologies put together.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
senju i know we disagree about politics but if you ever want to talk my PM is right here. I'll pray to St. Roch for you.

• Locked thread