Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

potatoducks posted:

I exercise my human right to poo poo on other humans.

Yes, yes, we all post in the Zaurg thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/86h39l/me_27f_with_my_husband_29m_moved_to_horse_farm_my/

This is a long one. Quoting all of it in case it gets deleted

Me [27F] with my husband [29M]: moved to horse farm (my dream!) after 1 year of marriage; he wants to get rid of the horses in a year or divorce

quote:

tl:dr: husband of two years dropped that he is no longer interested in having horses and doesn't want to live on our property once we can move in ~1 year. I have to choose - keep the horses and end up divorced or give up my life's hobby/passion for my husband

My husband and I ran the numbers last spring and decided to move to a horse property; because of our age and finances, an acreage we could afford and both (at the time) found suitable involved commuting an hour or more to our workplaces each way. Our previous townhouse still required us to commute (45 minutes or so each way, me longer than him) and the horse boarding situation was very expensive and rather unsatisfactory in the care department.

We bought the property we did knowing it needed a bit of work in the barn department; the list of projects grew after we discovered the land is extremely wet and needed drain tile to prevent knee deep mud for weeks after a rain. Then we needed more storage.. and then something else. The previous owners (who were getting divorced, oh the irony!) had not done a lot of property maintenance and had made some decisions that screwed us over more than we anticipated. The first summer of our farm life was very long and full of hard work. All of our projects ended up busting their budgets. We are currently in debt, and the plan to pay it off will take 1 year, though through the virtue of 0% interest, it is not going to grow.

This fall my husband lost his job, but got a new one with a great salary (95k + 1100$ a month in teaching salary from 65k. I did and still make 60k). Excited about his new job, he kitted out a home gym in our basement (which, for the record... he has used once), his home office which he uses 3 or so days a week most weeks, and traded in and purchased a new truck. The truck ended up having a higher monthly payment than he told me when we had discussed it, but I gave in because he seemed utterly enraptured with the vehicle. The job loss derailed my debt plan and changed up our budget, and basically left us tighter than we were previously.

He works and teaches, and doesn't seem to have much in the way of hobbies or interests beyond his industry (network security) and watching tv; he had been into the gym when we met but that ceased almost immediately once we began dating. He purchased a long distance rifle last summer for 2k, stating he wanted to get into shooting, but has only fired it once. We also have hunting dogs, but he does not hunt them except for a single weekend at a hunt club so far, which was financed by a wealthy friend.

As for me, I've had horses since I was 14 and have been riding a large portion of my life; I had horses and was very dedicated to competing and training when we met, and he was supportive and came along and learned as much as he could (had to stop learning to ride due to 3 consecutive knee surgeries) and helped care for my two horses. I have basically ceased competing but have really enjoyed training since we were married, mostly due to the lack of finances, and have also started a small business doing equine photography, which is usually the income I used to take lessons or go to shows. My day job is a salary and doesn't evoke a lot of passion or interest from me, but it's money. I am actively looking for a more lucrative position, but don't love what I do.

On the farm, I do all of the horse care, which is about 1-1.5 hours per day, depending on the weather and how messy the horses were. Come summer, they will be out which will lessen the required work each day. I also did 90% of the mowing and other maintenance; my husband did the projects with help we hired or family assistance. I spend about 300$ a month on bedding and feed for our small herd now, of 3 horses and a donkey, and we spent about 2200$ last summer on hay - I am selling some of this at a profit currently as we over bought. This seems much better than the 960+$/month + extra feed and general care costs we were spending on care per month for two horses, and I don't have to deal with any of the issues of having people who don't care (or teenagers) not caring for my animals as agreed to with barn management. There are other costs involved with having horses - vet, farrier, etc - but those are items we now save for monthly in our newly re-implemented budget.

My husband is coming off of a 5 week engagement of certification course teaching, where he teaches 3 week nights after work (instead of 1) and all day Saturday. He took this engagement to help make money to pay down the debt, and it will help immensely. I've been doing all of the animal care (dogs, horses), plowing, shoveling, cooking, cleaning and laundry. Outside of this recent schedule, I still did the majority of these things but he was slightly more able to care for himself.

However, he called the other night on his way home from teaching and informed me of the following:

He is tired of "living poor"
He is tired of seeing no return for all of the money he makes
Living in the country does not bring him joy; he hates commuting and hates our house (which admittedly wasn't constructed very well, like many houses)
He resents that I am always doing chores and not spending time with him
He is never going to be ok with spending so much money on horses, which does not bring any returns or value to his life
He also said "If you made 120k, we could discuss, but you don't"
And basically has given me an ultimatum/decision: get rid of the horses when we can move in a year or so, or get divorced in a year or so. He has talked about divorce before; it seems to be his go-to strategy for whenever he is unhappy or doesn't feel like our relationship is what it should be, but this time he wasn't yelling, which makes me more apt to "believe him" and think this is not just him having a tantrum because we aren't having enough sex.

I don't want to choose; I want to choose option #3, which is move to another property that doesn't have issues and is closer to hubby's job and continue living my dream. Riding horses (though lately haven't had a lot of time to do so) brings me immeasurable joy and is very beneficial to my mental and physical health, ability to cope with anxiety and generally makes me a nicer person to live with.

What would you do, and any advise to remedy the situation in the year to come so I don't have to decide?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to vote horse-lady on this one. It sounds like the husband is making stupid monetary mistakes and instead of taking responsibility is trying to balance the budget on his wife's hobby.

Also LOL on him getting a new job with a significant pay raise which now means they have less money.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Uterine Lineup posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/86h39l/me_27f_with_my_husband_29m_moved_to_horse_farm_my/

This is a long one. Quoting all of it in case it gets deleted

Me [27F] with my husband [29M]: moved to horse farm (my dream!) after 1 year of marriage; he wants to get rid of the horses in a year or divorce

She should just start selling Scentsy or LuLaRoe to bring in some extra cash like a #bossbabe. Maybe she should start a business selling essential oils for horses. Think of the market of stupid people she could sell to!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm going to vote horse-lady on this one. It sounds like the husband is making stupid monetary mistakes and instead of taking responsibility is trying to balance the budget on his wife's hobby.

Also LOL on him getting a new job with a significant pay raise which now means they have less money.

Yea, husband is the bigger rear end in a top hat here. He buys a big truck, putting them more into debt, doesn't participate in any chores, and then complains when the wife spends all her time doing chores. Guess what buddy? They would get done twice as fast if you helped. Also starting and abandoning two hobbies, also costing them more money.

My guess is wife pushed for the horse farm, and husband rolled over. Now he's regretting it and looking for a way out. I doubt even selling and moving to a closer place with less maintenance saves this marriage. He seems like its horses or me. Also, the last part where he brings up how much she makes is a real rear end in a top hat move. It's a marriage, he shouldn't be holding it over her head. Beside, they're making like $160k combined, they should not be having money issues.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

She should tell him that if they get rid of the horses he has to get rid of the truck, the stupid expensive rifle, and actually do some chores.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

They're both bad with money and bad at being in a relationship. Also she started out with 2 horses, now they're up to 3 horses and a donkey. No wonder she's doing chores all of the time. He sounds like an rear end in a top hat if he's bringing up divorce every time they have an argument.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Inept posted:

They're both bad with money and bad at being in a relationship. Also she started out with 2 horses, now they're up to 3 horses and a donkey. No wonder she's doing chores all of the time. He sounds like an rear end in a top hat if he's bringing up divorce every time they have an argument.

Wait, are we against donkeys now too? Because I think we're about to see a BWM civil war.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
It's a match made in poverty.

He's an idiot for the unnecessary truck- doesn't want to live in the country, but wants a pricey truck?
But her hobby sounds like a money pit, despite her red herring thrown in about selling something for a profit.

You know neither are going to give up the horses or the truck

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

This is every country song waiting to happen at once.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Inept posted:

IMO, this is closest to the mark probably. They need to seek counseling if they want to stay together. From the way I read it, he’s commuting an hour each way, working a full 8 hours, teaching 3 nights a week and all day Saturday and filling his free time working on fixing the house. The gym, truck and rifle were dumb purchases (if they couldn’t afford it, which they can’t), but I don’t fault him for wanting to use the gym or have a hobby (hunting) and never getting a chance to use it, or being so exhausted and depressed that he doesn’t feel like it. I hate trucks, but a sensible truck may have made sense if they were going to live in the country, do home/barn repair necessitating trips to hardware stores and need to transport things like bales of hay, perhaps not the monster that it sounds like he bought.

Despite not wanting to give up her hobbies and interests (understandable), she sounds like she is approaching it rationally though and he sounds like he’s a bit of an rear end in a top hat, but maybe he’s depressed (on top of being an idiot).

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Hoodwinker posted:

This is every country song waiting to happen at once.

I wish I could agree with you but I am not getting vibes of "Christmas in Prison" OR "My Son Calls Another Man Daddy" just yet.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

therobit posted:

I wish I could agree with you but I am not getting vibes of "Christmas in Prison" OR "My Son Calls Another Man Daddy" just yet.
With the way the marriage is going, we'll get there alright.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If his response is to issue the nuclear bomb of marital threats whenever things go sideways then he's already made his decision. He's making more money, she's not, and he reminds her of that. He's also got a new truck and is working a lot of hours so he's cheating on her. There's definitely a young woman whose telling her girlfriends that he's going to leave his horses any day now.

He's hoping she picks the horses over him and he can get out guilt free.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh man, what a huge mess. This is the good stuff.

Serious lol that they used to make the exact same amount of money but now he's throwing out the "if you made 120k we could discuss, but..."

I don't think it's inherently wrong that he used to be on board with their Play Harvest Moon lifestyle and isn't anymore. My partner and I have moved cities together and eventually one of us said "actually I really hate it here... Can we consider moving?" and I didn't grudge her for changing her mind or whatever. But she didn't say "we move or I divorce you" which is pretty key.

It's totally this

Krispy Wafer posted:

He's hoping she picks the horses over him and he can get out guilt free.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pretty sure he still wouldn’t be alimony free, though. That would hurt the whole expensive truck and shooting hobbies (precision rifle is like throwing three quarters to a two dollar bill downrange with every trigger pull).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pretty sure he still wouldn’t be alimony free, though. That would hurt the whole expensive truck and shooting hobbies (precision rifle is like throwing three quarters to a two dollar bill downrange with every trigger pull).

In their 20s, married less than a year, and until very recently had the same salary = alimony??

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There’s no alimony. Depending on whether there’s joint debt or equity in the house, it could be painful to divorce - but he won’t have to ever talk to her again.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh wait, less than a year? I thought they had been married longer than that and just moved there last year.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Fiancés mom spent $1100+ on her (my fiancés) credit card, without her knowing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/86kuuo/fianc%E9s_mom_spent_1100_on_her_my_fianc%E9s_credit/

quote:

First of all I just want to say I cannot make this up. My fiancés brother just went to jail for shooting a B.B. gun at a Taco Bell window because they didn’t give him “the correct change”, very stupid I know. Her mother asked her to co-sign on a loan to bail him out, obviously she said no. Her mother had one of her credit cards and has apparently been using it for months without her knowledge. A lot of charges on the card talking to her brother in jail is how we found out. Recently she tried to get it back and her mother wouldn’t give it to her. She originally had it to “help build her credit” about a year ago. I didn’t know about this. The statements have been going to her moms address from where she lived before we moved into our own place. Her mother finally gave the card back yesterday and the balance was over $1100+. She also asked my fiancé to do a cash advance for almost $2000 to help bail him out and we said no. Now she’s saying she will not pay for the balance on the card and has blocked our numbers. Because we won’t bail him out of jail. We have called the bank and closed the card. Reported it to the fraud department and will file a police report if no response from her mother within the next few days.

I would like to add it is just her name on the card, not her mother’s. I did not know about this or I wouldn’t have let it happen. She trusted her mother too much I guess.

Has anyone experienced something similar to this? What are our best options?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Obviously the mom is a huge scumbag here; but why do so many people not check their statements? Sure the paper ones went to the mom's address, but you can easily check this stuff online. Presumably she was paying the bill, so she knew stuff was due. How the hell do you let a thousand dollars get charged without knowing?

I have an authorized user for one of my cards (which isn't the case for this story, apparently it is straight fraud) and I know if they spend even a single cent. How? I have text alerts set up to send me a text anytime something is charged. I do this for my other cards too so that I'll be able to tell if an unauthorized charge happens right away.

Hopefully the mom pays up so they can avoid having to file a police report and declare all the charged fraudulent, but hot :drat:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, they should just go to her house, tell her that if she doesn’t pay they are filing a police report, and walk away before she starts the guilt trip. Or the first way she hears about it could be the police coming to her door and they could tell her it’s because she blocked their numbers.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Reading PF and legaladvice, how many parents outright gently caress their kids over financially? I can’t believe how many posts I read that are about how parents took out student loans in their kids names, credit cards, want them to use their SSNs to buy a house, etc.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Another big one was setting up all the utilities under their kid’s name/SSN while they’re still minors. There’s an uncomfortable amount of scumbag parents out there.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Let's all just acknowledge the fact his fiance is actually willing to open a police report, which most family members never do. So at the very least she should get the credit card charges removed and if she's lucky the mom will disown her.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doesn’t that depend on how old the charges are?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Raldikuk posted:

I have an authorized user for one of my cards (which isn't the case for this story, apparently it is straight fraud) and I know if they spend even a single cent. How? I have text alerts set up to send me a text anytime something is charged. I do this for my other cards too so that I'll be able to tell if an unauthorized charge happens right away.

I have text alerts for one of my cards I barely use but it doesn't send a text until charges clear and are no longer pending so usually like 3 days. Pretty useless. Barclays is poo poo

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have text alerts for one of my cards I barely use but it doesn't send a text until charges clear and are no longer pending so usually like 3 days. Pretty useless. Barclays is poo poo

That's pretty hosed up and useless and makes it a bit more difficult to track. But even then it's a few clicks to log in to the website to see. At the very least this should be done before forking money over. I wonder what percentage of people pay bills without looking at them. Not me though, I put every bill under a microscope and will bitch about any incorrect charge; it's the principle of it all. If they screw you on something small without correcting it they'll do even worse with something big.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I do hourly sampling of my home’s power usage so I know the utility company isn’t cheating me.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Raldikuk posted:

Obviously the mom is a huge scumbag here; but why do so many people not check their statements? Sure the paper ones went to the mom's address, but you can easily check this stuff online. Presumably she was paying the bill, so she knew stuff was due. How the hell do you let a thousand dollars get charged without knowing?

Hopefully the mom pays up so they can avoid having to file a police report and declare all the charged fraudulent, but hot :drat:

It's a huge pain in the rear end. Most people don't want to think about their finances every day let alone get 10 texts about various charges to their credit cards. Autopay is so easy. Credit card companies are usually pretty good about sending fraud alerts regarding random charges. Most of the big fraud issues come from family members. If your family doesn't suck you don't really need to work about it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Aside from locking your credit down, there is no way to stop family fraud. They know your personal data; they can guess your challenge questions. It's like trying to secure a computer someone has physical access to. You can't do it. All you can do is minimize the damage.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Krispy Wafer posted:

Aside from locking your credit down, there is no way to stop family fraud. They know your personal data; they can guess your challenge questions. It's like trying to secure a computer someone has physical access to. You can't do it. All you can do is minimize the damage.

Well, no, the way to stop it is after the fact, file a police report for fraud and the bank will probably refund your money once it's clear it's fraud.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Krispy Wafer posted:

They know your personal data; they can guess your challenge questions.

Am I the only one that treats challenge questions as simply another password? I don't actually answer the question with anything relevant to what it asks.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009

metallicaeg posted:

Am I the only one that treats challenge questions as simply another password? I don't actually answer the question with anything relevant to what it asks.

So what do you do for websites with 3 challenge questions and they don't let you use the same "answer" for all 3?

And what do you do when you have multiple financial institutions that all demand this?

This isn't sarcastic or snarky, I genuinely want to know what your system is.

I tried to do this, but if your "answer" has nothing to do with the question, how do you remember the answer to a recovery question when challenged? I have enough trouble remembering my important passwords. How do I remeber 3 additional "passwords" per important site? If you reuse, fair enough, probably more secure to say "my answer to a car question is password1 and my answer to a pet question is password2" than use a real car and pet, but now it's still cross-site and exploitable. And I guess you could write it all down but heaven help if you lose that post-it.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I use a password manager, have it generate random strings that I use for the answers, and then store the question and answer in the password manager as well.

Works great. Except for the one time I got locked out of Vanguard cause of Mint failing the 2FA challenge too many times and I had to call them and explain over the phone that my first pet was named s62&%dfGt0, or whatever.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

legendof posted:

I use a password manager, have it generate random strings that I use for the answers, and then store the question and answer in the password manager as well.

Works great. Except for the one time I got locked out of Vanguard cause of Mint failing the 2FA challenge too many times and I had to call them and explain over the phone that my first pet was named s62&%dfGt0, or whatever.

Same, also, that second thing is why I use pronounceable strings from LastPass for the answers. Makes it a little easier.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, the day I discovered the 'use non-ambiguous characters' button in LastPass was a red letter day in the Wafer household. No more l or I problems. So now when LastPass leaks all my passwords, the hackers will have no problem logging into everything I have.

Another trick I've learned after Yahoo leaked my Apple ID was to create separate email accounts for your most important stuff. That way a leak of your main email account won't risk a breach of your bank or Apple ID. That works best when you own your own domain so you can create stevejobslovechild@mydomain.com. Which is great when you have to call Apple for support.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

You can also use aliases in Gmail:
myemail+facebook@gmail.com
myemail+ebay@gmail.com
Both go to myemail@gmail.com.

Not every system will let you register with an email containing a +, but most do, and it's useful for a) preventing scripted attack tools from reusing your creds, and b) letting you know which rear end in a top hat site sold your email address to spammers.

It does mean that I have to look up what email address I'm registered under sometimes (was it +facebook or just +fb?) but I use a password manager anyway, so shrug.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I do hourly sampling of my home’s power usage so I know the utility company isn’t cheating me.

This is the finance forum, do you really think logging in to your bank once every 1-3 days to check up on things is irrational or a chore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

potatoducks posted:

It's a huge pain in the rear end. Most people don't want to think about their finances every day let alone get 10 texts about various charges to their credit cards. Autopay is so easy. Credit card companies are usually pretty good about sending fraud alerts regarding random charges. Most of the big fraud issues come from family members. If your family doesn't suck you don't really need to work about it.

Getting 10 text messages isn't that big of a deal for me and it keeps me aware immediately of when the charges happen (which I like to do for my authorized user so I can keep track of how much they've spent, since my CC company doesn't break it down for me). I can understand why one would want to avoid getting texts all the time if they were the sole user, but that doesn't excuse not looking at statements at the very least. Autopay is very easy but I would never pay a bill without looking at the charges they're assessing. Text alerts + checking statements wouldn't have prevented all of the charges, but it would have stopped a lot of them (assuming person reports card stolen ofc) and would have made them aware of those charges a lot sooner.

The texts are also great because it eliminates my need for receipts. If I forget how much something was between paying and entering, I just pop open my text and see exactly what was charged. I could load the mobile app to do the same but the text is substantially easier. Ofc in my experience the vast majority of people don't manually track expenses, so perhaps a moo point for most.