Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I thought using the stick to move in Serious Sam was pretty disappointing. I didn't get sick but just floating along ruins the immersion for me. Robo Recall worked great with teleport because they built the game around it but it would get tedious if every game did that. I really liked Lucky's Tale, I hope somebody comes out with a third person shooter at some point because I think that could really work in VR. Just port Jet Force Gemini

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Have there been any other interesting VR-related announcements/things at GDC? It's feeling pretty quiet. A couple of molecules of info from Oculus about their plans but otherwise not much. Jason Rubin again emphasising that they've moved on to funding fewer, bigger AAA-style games instead of a bunch of smaller content.
Then again I don't remember if anything happened last GDC.

Also I have been playing way too much Brass Tactics to avoid exam revision, and it continues to be awesome - despite the 'tipping-point' game progression issue, which they say they're looking at solutions for. There are plenty of people willing to do multiplayer as well, and for singleplayer content, the skirmish matches are well worth a look after the main campaign - especially if you up the difficulty a notch.

Knifegrab posted:

God drat the vive pro is expensive but gently caress if I don't want the higher rez.... I did just stumble into a bucket load of money, if I got one would anyone care for a trip report?

Are there going to be any places that will be demoing the pro?
Yeah definitely would be up for a goon review of it. I would be surprised if anywhere is going to be demo'ing it given the ultraniche market to be honest.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Have there been any other interesting VR-related announcements/things at GDC? It's feeling pretty quiet. A couple of molecules of info from Oculus about their plans but otherwise not much. Jason Rubin again emphasising that they've moved on to funding fewer, bigger AAA-style games instead of a bunch of smaller content.

Yeah definitely would be up for a goon review of it. I would be surprised if anywhere is going to be demo'ing it given the ultraniche market to be honest.

GDC isn't really an announcements thing, so it's more or less expected. I think there is supposed to be stuff announced at PAX East, which is April 5-8.

I'm assuming that the Vive Pro is going to be like the Samsung Odyssey, the res increase is absolutely great and definitely noticeable, but it shouldn't ruin the regular Vive for you. So if you have money to burn then go for it, but it's not so much better that it's really transformative. I used my Odyssey for a while and the difference in comfort and quality of the controllers made me not feel bad at all about going back to my Rift for regular use. Hard to imagine it's worth the $800 unless money is truly no object. Fwiw I'm going to skip it because I don't really like the Vive controllers anyway.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I really liked Lucky's Tale, I hope somebody comes out with a third person shooter at some point because I think that could really work in VR. Just port Jet Force Gemini

Have you tried Landfall? It was OK and shows what you're thinking of.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Lemming posted:

Hard to imagine it's worth the $800 unless money is truly no object. Fwiw I'm going to skip it because I don't really like the Vive controllers anyway.

Also don't forget that HTC may well once again price gouge early adopters in a month or two with a VivePro + controller + lighthouse package for $1000 but $600 "Pro upgrade kit" to add new "Pro" lighthouses and controllers.

I'd seriously reconsider getting a Pro right now since you're tying the Pro's effective life to your lighthouses and controllers. Gen 1 lighthouses have failed, and Gen 1 controllers are known to fail often.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Just port Jet Force Gemini

Yes please.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Stick100 posted:

Have you tried Landfall? It was OK and shows what you're thinking of.

Didn't know about it, thanks for the heads up.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Didn't know about it, thanks for the heads up.

Well, I thought you were talking about a twin-stick shooter, not a behind the back 3rd person shooter. I can't think of any behind the back 3rd person shooters for VR. They should work with those make Flatscreen games work in VR. There is a Dolphin VR emulator that works well for VR, there probably is an N64 emulator that works in VR as well.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Rectus posted:

I think grabbing locomotion is awesome even without zero g, at least when you have enough things nearby to grab on to. It's really intuitive with how it works and you have a lot of precision. Even the Gorn style gabbing-the-air is alright, although it get tedious for long distances. I experimented by combining those two in SteamVR Home by letting you grab onto surfaces and pull yourself around, and moving along the ground if you grab thin air.

It compliments other forms of locomotion like trackpad movement pretty well, and lets you do things like climbing and pulling yourself up ledges.
Have you played Climbey?

El Grillo posted:

We learned that OpenXR is very much alive and looking really good.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Stick100 posted:

I can't think of any behind the back 3rd person shooters for VR.

Edge of nowhere? Though more stealth than fps.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Knifegrab posted:

God drat the vive pro is expensive but gently caress if I don't want the higher rez.... I did just stumble into a bucket load of money, if I got one would anyone care for a trip report?

Are there going to be any places that will be demoing the pro?

I think the thing to do is wait for the full 2.0 bundle so you can at least sell your old set.

I'm hoping come the holidays there will be some sort of deal on a Pro 2.0 bundle and the wireless adapter because I never want to use a tethered HMD ever again.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 23, 2018

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Ralith posted:

Have you played Climbey?

Yup. I love the jumping mechanism, but to me the hand swinging locomotion was a bit annoying to use compared to trackpad/thumbstick locomotion.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Ralith posted:

Have you played Climbey?

We learned that OpenXR is very much alive and looking really good.
Quite a bit of chatter on reddit about OpenXR being revealed to do nothing about the platform/runtime exclusivity problem, I think based on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-CpA5d9MjI&t=865s
I don't know whether it was ever meant to deal with the exclusivity issue though (don't really know the technical details).

e: OK it's more complicated than that. This is the flow diagram showing where OpenXR is meant to come in the pipeline:

The top part, the OpenXR runtime, is mandatory. But the OpenXR Device Plugin Extension is an optional component which, if implemented by the vendors into their runtimes, would make their runtimes hardware-agnostic.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 23, 2018

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

What are the go-to best things to introduce to somebody new to VR? Like, is there a specific rollercoaster app? I remember reading about "the plank" or something. Basically tell me what experiences are the most effective/memorable for first-timers. There are some people I will be showing Oculus to.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I usually start people off with First Contact, it's super polished and makes a pretty great first impression. After that I think it depends on the person, but Google Earth has been an overwhelming favorite with the older and non-gamer people I've demoed for. For gamer friends I used to go with Robo Recall, but now I use Lone Echo.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Palpek posted:

What are the go-to best things to introduce to somebody new to VR? Like, is there a specific rollercoaster app? I remember reading about "the plank" or something. Basically tell me what experiences are the most effective/memorable for first-timers. There are some people I will be showing Oculus to.

Depends on the person. The First Contact demo is actually really good for introducing the mechanics of interacting with stuff in VR. I'd say that's pretty good for people who don't have much experience with games in general. If they're a little bit more comfortable with that sort of thing then Space Pirate Trainer is really good for physically walking around and moving your body to dodge stuff, if you have room for it. I wouldn't recommend stuff with artificial locomotion that isn't teleportation at the start because they might just get sick immediately and have a negative view of things. Robo Recall is pretty great, but the teleportation interface is a little more video-gamey, so I'd show that off later. Job Sim is great for total beginners along the lines of First Contact because you have simple objectives and it's fun to mess around in the environment.

Edit: and if you really want to take them for a ride put them in the Echo Arena tutorial :pcgaming:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I still have a viable shattered horizon steam key, if anyone wants it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rime posted:

I wouldn't mind checking it out, kind of in a between game lull now.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Rime posted:

For free? Sure!

Edit: give it to that guy!

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Palpek posted:

Anything but rollercoasters ffs

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
The Lab is an excellent intro to VR imo, I usually stick all my friends in that first and its free.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

The Lab is an excellent intro to VR imo, I usually stick all my friends in that first and its free.

Ah yeah, I forgot about that. The Archery demo in particular is very very very good. It's worth setting up SteamVR for if you haven't already, but if you're doing that make sure you set it up in advance because it can be finicky when you're first setting it up.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I bought The Blu basically just to use as a demo for easing people into VR. Seems like stuff like that and that short film Henry are good ways to get people comfortable inside of the space before moving on to something more intense.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The YouTube VR app also has some neat stuff like Google-made animated shorts.

And, yes, about a million roller coaster videos.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Republicans posted:

I think the thing to do is wait for the full 2.0 bundle so you can at least sell your old set.

I'm hoping come the holidays there will be some sort of deal on a Pro 2.0 bundle and the wireless adapter because I never want to use a tethered HMD ever again.

I wouldn't be surprised if in 6-8 months they launch the full bundle at $900 along with a price reduction on the headset to $600 or so. Still well in the premium range, but less insane.

As far as the price itself, I'm certainly not buying one but I'm not so quick to call HTC idiots over it either. I remember reading somewhere that the majority of the profit in graphics cards are on the high end ones despite them being a tiny portion of the market; it wouldn't shock me if HTC is trying to be the vendor for high end, high profit headsets while Oculus and other companies fight over smaller margins on the low end. As high as $800 sounds there's plenty of VR arcades, corporate usage, and rich single gamers with good jobs who probably wouldn't even blink at it.

It makes sense, after all - Oculus profits off having a large VR market, because of its store. HTC just profits off people being willing to pay more for its headsets than they cost to make.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 24, 2018

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Rime posted:

I definitely recommend someone check it out. It was a great game until the devs significantly changed the game to encourage static sniper play. It was such a dynamic and interesting game before that design change but it is still worth checking out.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
I just played some Onward, man that game is intense! Even with the basic graphics it's one of the best experiences I've had yet in VR.

Only thing I don't like is I'm having a lot of issues with my gun bugging out often when I try to hold it with both hands. Is this a common thing? I feel like it could be an issue relating to my 2 sensor setup not tracking well enough.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

I just played some Onward, man that game is intense! Even with the basic graphics it's one of the best experiences I've had yet in VR.

Only thing I don't like is I'm having a lot of issues with my gun bugging out often when I try to hold it with both hands. Is this a common thing? I feel like it could be an issue relating to my 2 sensor setup not tracking well enough.

Unless you have a good setup where your sensors are above you and looking down, you are probably occluding the rear controller with your other arm. Think about if you have two sensors and you face the one on your right. If you hold out your left arm, it blocks the left sensor from seeing your right controller almost entirely, then your left hand might be hiding your right controller from the right sensor as well. Since the game requires you to hold guns in two hands, you'll run into this situation a lot. When it loses tracking your hand will teleport places which will cause the gun interpolation to freak out. You'll want to mount the sensors above you (ideally opposite corners from each other) and point them down. That way, your body should almost never block the controllers. A third sensor will also help out.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

Lemming posted:

Unless you have a good setup where your sensors are above you and looking down, you are probably occluding the rear controller with your other arm. Think about if you have two sensors and you face the one on your right. If you hold out your left arm, it blocks the left sensor from seeing your right controller almost entirely, then your left hand might be hiding your right controller from the right sensor as well. Since the game requires you to hold guns in two hands, you'll run into this situation a lot. When it loses tracking your hand will teleport places which will cause the gun interpolation to freak out. You'll want to mount the sensors above you (ideally opposite corners from each other) and point them down. That way, your body should almost never block the controllers. A third sensor will also help out.

That's a great explanation, thanks! I'll definitely give that a try.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I can't recommend enough just spending 60 bucks and getting a 3rd sensor (it comes with its own 15' extension cable).

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

I can't recommend enough just spending 60 bucks and getting a 3rd sensor (it comes with its own 15' extension cable).

IMO pay 99.99 and get a second set of controllers + Sensor. For real.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Palpek posted:

First Contact to set people up, Welcome to Light Fields is cool as heck and takes 10 minutes to go through the tour, Aircar to test if people will puke - if someone is susceptible to VR sickness, they will get it if they drive down into the city and close to other cars - and if they don't get sick, Aircar is awesome. Past that, Robo Recall, Sprint Vector, or Gorn depending on what they're up to.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I consider myself a seasoned VR player and Aircar can consistently make me VR sick if you're too rough with it. It's gorgeous and absolutely should be witnessed but don't let people go too crazy because it'll gently caress them up pretty good.

My suggestion is Google Earth VR. It's pretty revelatory for most people, having the Earth right there in front of them with the ability to go anywhere, and they recently added full Street View support so you can even "walk" everywhere. I love throwing myself down in some random town at a point in the world, it's incredible when you're actually "there".

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 24, 2018

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

The Mage's Tale is out in Steam with Vive support now. Looks really cool, is it worth picking up?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rectus posted:

The Mage's Tale is out in Steam with Vive support now. Looks really cool, is it worth picking up?

I think it is. I had a lot of fun with it, gorgeous visuals, tons and tons of secrets (I never came close to finding everything), a real full 10+ hour game, plus with the vive release they've updated it to have an arena mode if you just feel like killing waves of monsters. The spell crafting is pretty fun, theres only 4 spell types, lighting, fireball, ice javelin, and wind, but theres tons of mods to find hidden around to adjust them in all kinds of ways. Make a fireball homing and bouncing, make your lighting chain lighting, give it polymorph and turn people to sheep, splitting shots, curse effects, etc etc.

The secrets are maybe my favorite parts of it though because for the most part they're inventive and different, not just click on walls until something opens kind of thing. They're all solving riddles, figuring out a mechanism, find missing parts, using what seems like graphical flair objects like pick axes laying around or crystal balls to find clues, knock down walls etc. Some of the secrets have secrets within them and such, it really gives a fun feeling of exploring a dungeon that isn't just A->B.

They've got most accommodations for controls too, snap turning/smooth turning, teleportation/snap movement/smooth movement. Its maybe a bit awkward in some of the menus, but I do appreciate how they really tried to incorporate VR into everything. The options menu is levelers and buttons to press, save games are potions to grab and use, you health potions are flasks to drink, your stats are a spellbook at your side, basically nothing is just menu's or pointing and clicking. Like I said, this maybe be annoying for some but, eh I don't mind that kind of thing in VR.

I guess the determining factor is how much you want to play what feels like a classical dungeon crawl in VR. All I can say is I enjoyed it.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 24, 2018

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

I think it is. I had a lot of fun with it, gorgeous visuals, tons and tons of secrets (I never came close to finding everything), a real full 10+ hour game, plus with the vive release they've updated it to have an arena mode if you just feel like killing waves of monsters. The spell crafting is pretty fun, theres only 4 spell types, lighting, fireball, ice javelin, and wind, but theres tons of mods to find hidden around to adjust them in all kinds of ways. Make a fireball homing and bouncing, make your lighting chain lighting, give it polymorph and turn people to sheep, splitting shots, curse effects, etc etc.

The secrets are maybe my favorite parts of it though because for the most part they're inventive and different, not just click on walls until something opens kind of thing. They're all solving riddles, figuring out a mechanism, find missing parts, using what seems like graphical flair objects like pick axes laying around or crystal balls to find clues, knock down walls etc. Some of the secrets have secrets within them and such, it really gives a fun feeling of exploring a dungeon that isn't just A->B.

They've got most accommodations for controls too, snap turning/smooth turning, teleportation/snap movement/smooth movement. Its maybe a bit awkward in some of the menus, but I do appreciate how they really tried to incorporate VR into everything. The options menu is levelers and buttons to press, save games are potions to grab and use, you health potions are flasks to drink, your stats are a spellbook at your side, basically nothing is just menu's or pointing and clicking. Like I said, this maybe be annoying for some but, eh I don't mind that kind of thing in VR.

I guess the determining factor is how much you want to play what feels like a classical dungeon crawl in VR. All I can say is I enjoyed it.

Sounds awesome, definitely going to have to pick it up then. I've been playing the rogue-likeish survival modes in H3VR, and want something more in-depth, this looks like it will fill that gap.

And diegetic UI like that should pretty much be a requirement for VR games.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rectus posted:

Sounds awesome, definitely going to have to pick it up then. I've been playing the rogue-likeish survival modes in H3VR, and want something more in-depth, this looks like it will fill that gap.

Well, its definitely not a rougelike to be clear, its not randomized in any way.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Well, its definitely not a rougelike to be clear, its not randomized in any way.

Yeah, just wanting something RPG-y with monsters to kill.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Elven Assasin is fun. My arm is tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Tried out The Mages Tale. The gameplay seems fun so far, but the controller and locomotion is set up horribly for the Vive.

The teleport works fine, but the free locomotion is set up like a 4 direction digital d-pad with head relative movement, requiring holding down the touchpad to move. The hands are misalinged from the controllers and it's hard to find the right spot for picking things up, which is done by keeping the grip button held. It also keeps turning the player around to the front of the playspace, and the smooth rotation on the touchpad is also digital.