Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

echronorian posted:

Quakecon is in August i hope we hear something about ReVtard
If they're gonna announce Doom 2016 2019, it'll probably be at their E3 shindig on June 10. Quakecon seems to be more for further info and hands-on demos than full-on reveals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Guillermus posted:

Just to keep this wonderful garbage post in memory. I should just do a compilation of lovely posts made in here from users that banished after launch.

Be sure to look for mine! I didn’t banish after launch, but I will shamelessly admit I shat all over RETARD 4 specifically because of its horrific marketing which all but directly said “we have no idea what made Doom good, but gently caress you buy this piece of poo poo we’re using to exploit your nostalgia anyway you retard.“

After launch of course, like everybody else, I was thrilled to learn the game actually owns.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 23, 2018

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I'm partial to DOOOM.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

gently caress, I just want to murder demons in apocalyptic urban settings, give me Hell on Earth 2. :cry:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Be sure to look for mine! I didn’t banish after launch, but I will shamelessly admit I shat all over RETARD 4 specifically because of its horrific marketing which all but directly said “we have no idea what made Doom good, but gently caress you buy this piece of poo poo we’re using to exploit your nostalgia anyway you retard.“

After launch of course, like everybody else, I was thrilled to learn the game actually owns.

For once it was funny to see a game getting bashed pre release and then being awesome. It usually happens that people get overhyped and then you get to play a garbage fire of a game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hey man will you lay off Aliens: Colonial Marines already <:mad:>

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Actually, never ever stop making fun of people who hyped themselves past a blinding sun of red warning lights for ACM, and doubly so never ever stop ridiculing diehard Duke Nukem (Forever) believers. Those archived threads get funnier the more years you layer on top.

They need to be shining examples for kids of why you should never preorder a game if nothing else, because people apparently need constant reminders for that.

SimCity 2013 apologists can catch a break though, they're just saddening on too many levels.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 23, 2018

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Deakul posted:

gently caress, I just want to murder demons in apocalyptic urban settings, give me Hell on Earth 2. :cry:

Same here, if they can pull off the kind of "open world" feeling that RAGE had but with crazy portals from Mars, tore up Earth hellscapes and demons ripping poo poo up, I'm down :black101:

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 23, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

No "open world" for RET5RD, please.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Doom 2: Hell on Earth (2019) features:

• Expansive open world
  • Intricate crafting system with 1,000s of potential options
  • Procedurally-generated NPCs and enemies
  • Massive battles the player can join and command
  • Space travel and over 10 classes of ships
  • Ship-to-ship combat
  • Hacking and lockpicking minigames
  • Resource mining
  • Up to 7 different romance options
  • Multiple endings

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 23, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

• Expansive open world
  • Ship-to-ship combat
  • Resource mining
  • Multiple endings

Chainsaw, BFG, rocket launcher, Gauss rifle, super shotgun, plasma rifle, and minigun?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

chiasaur11 posted:

Chainsaw, BFG, rocket launcher, Gauss rifle, super shotgun, plasma rifle, and minigun?

well duh

You can also unlock some monster romances with the DLC

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
"DOOM 2019: It's Now A Free To Play Collectible Card Game On Your Phone Or Maybe A Battle Royale Clone Or Maybe Both Because Oh God We're Panicking Because Quake Champions Isn't Working Out"

gotta have catchy names that roll nicely off the tongue

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

• Expansive open world
  • Ship-to-ship combat
  • Resource mining
  • Multiple endings

If VTARD has all that poo poo I’m gonna hurt somebody.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 23, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

you can trust me, I'm from bethesda

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Bethesda Director on Family & the future of Storytelling in Games

quote:

"It's never been a serious rivalry," Bethesda director Todd Howard remarked of his tenacious relationship with director-cum-prodigy Ron Howard. "But we've always tried to outshine each other in our respective mediums, I suppose."

Mr. Howard proceeded to explain how being at the helm of Bethesda's most critically-acclaimed projects has helped him appreciate the finer points of storytelling. "In the beginning, we made games I would be--games I am--one-hundred-percent proud of: Titles like The Elder Scrolls Arena and Morrowind, Terminator: Skynet...but it wasn't really until the mid-2000's that we, as a company, discovered the true importance of storytelling. That's why you see increased complexity in the narratives of games like DOOM, Oblivion, and Skyrim (relative to their predecessors)."

Does that mean that he still feels like his brother is the master storyteller in the Howard family?

(Todd laughs) "Well we don't have anything to compare to something like [Ron Howard's] The DaVinci Code, but I'd like to think we're getting close."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Oblivion and Skyrim having more narrative complexity than Morrowind? :thunk:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

GreatGreen posted:

He left out the micro transactions

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm fine if I can romance my supershotgun. The rest is just a one night affair.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

JerryLee posted:

Oblivion and Skyrim having more narrative complexity than Morrowind? :thunk:

i think reading that made me develop late stage cancer

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Well alright then.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Hi im cum prodigy

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Clint is the only Howard with any talent.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Xenomrph posted:

Y'know fully well that's not gonna happen. Ever.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Guillermus posted:

Just to keep this wonderful garbage post in memory. I should just do a compilation of lovely posts made in here from users that banished after launch.
the record will show that all the public information made Retard 4 look like trash until, like, a month before launch

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah, no doubt that their marketing was awful but people were making GBS threads on it without even knowing how the sp would be. Hell, before release that Nvidia's gameplay changed a lot of minds because it wasn't someone demoing it with a gamepad or polygon.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Guillermus posted:

Yeah, no doubt that their marketing was awful but people were making GBS threads on it without even knowing how the sp would be. Hell, before release that Nvidia's gameplay changed a lot of minds because it wasn't someone demoing it with a gamepad or polygon.

Those polygon videos still crack me up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3pQ0oO_cDE

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Guillermus posted:

I don't know, I'd say Bethesda did show quite a bit of single player content, they just showed it being played by an unenthusiastic, slow player using a controller, playing fighting what seemed to be a lot fewer and slower enemies than how the game really plays. People rightly judged the single player footage they were shown negatively.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
only gamers rightly prejudge

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This will never get old :allears:

GreatGreen posted:

I don't know, I'd say Bethesda did show quite a bit of single player content, they just showed it being played by an unenthusiastic, slow player using a controller, playing fighting what seemed to be a lot fewer and slower enemies than how the game really plays. People rightly judged the single player footage they were shown negatively.

I'm sure that if they showed the same gameplay footage on E3 but played with someone going nuts instead of "showcasing", even with a controller, all opinions would have been better before release. I beat the game on PC multiple times and twice on PS4 months after and hell, while I vastly prefer M+KB, it's totally playable (and even decently fast) with a controller because the game is so god drat well designed. Nvidia's showcase confused players because the game looked different due to how fast they played (more so to show no FPS drops and high FoV on top of that).

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Urge to rip and tear: rising

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I looked up Polygon's original video posting and found they disabled all the comments. Amazing they left the original video up.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I kind of blew off DOOM when I first saw it, not to the extent I loathed it but I was kind of underwhelmed and the weird focus on the multiplayer was such a bizarre way to go. In a way this made playing the finished product even better because I had zero expectations and the game was so good that I practically count it as one of my favourite shooters of all time. Generally I don't often revisit games but I had to replay DOOM a bunch of times to see my favourite levels again.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Without getting too technical what's the recipe to play Doom 2016 in VR? Just get a good system, Vive or Rift and the VorpX software?

I saw a few youtube videos of people trying out Doom 2016 in VR (plain Doom, not the VFR verison), so was curious to see which equipment/software mix was optimal.

I have room for a Vive but will probably try to play sitting down. I'm not too worried about motion sickness.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Songbearer posted:

I kind of blew off DOOM when I first saw it, not to the extent I loathed it but I was kind of underwhelmed and the weird focus on the multiplayer was such a bizarre way to go. In a way this made playing the finished product even better because I had zero expectations and the game was so good that I practically count it as one of my favourite shooters of all time. Generally I don't often revisit games but I had to replay DOOM a bunch of times to see my favourite levels again.

Yeah, same story here.

The glory kills in particular looked god awful in that early preview but in practice they turned out to be an absolutely genius system.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Thanks for reminding me that there's still no followup to Alien: Isolation.

I think I need to reinstall and play that again.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

A.o.D. posted:

Thanks for reminding me that there's still no followup to Alien: Isolation.

I think I need to reinstall and play that again.

did VR ever get enabled for that?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Not that I’m aware of. I think it got demoed at PAX or E3, but the demo was made specifically for the convention and wasn’t planned for mass release for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

MysteriousStranger posted:

did VR ever get enabled for that?

Someone made a solid mod for it called MotherVR: Github Link

A video of it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjzJMaQqzGc

I can't vouch for how good it is personally (I'm too much of a scaredy cat to play A:I flatscreen let alone be inside it) but I've heard a lot of people say it works very well.