Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

That won't spawn endermen, though, right? I usually need them.
I've got a trapdoor-focused build that turns off spiders but enables endermen, so that's the one I usually go with. Still, too much to set it up every drat time, even if I copy precisely.

...I play a lot of skyblocks.

If memory serves, drop mob towers do spawn endermen. You just can't use water. But don't quote me on that because I don't play a lot of skyblocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Yeah, you can just make the spawn area one block taller to spawn endermen, but they'll teleport away as soon as they hit the water channel.

Would using liquid crystal prevent endermen from teleporting away?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

MaliciousOnion posted:

Yeah, you can just make the spawn area one block taller to spawn endermen, but they'll teleport away as soon as they hit the water channel.

Would using liquid crystal prevent endermen from teleporting away?

Maybe, maybe not. Endermen are just irritating to deal with in a mob drop tower, so it's best to just avoid using them entirely until you have reliable dispatch methods (spikes) and a way to move items (itemducts obviously.)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

OK I took all the advice here and had another crack at Botania as I'll probably need the item duplication thing at some point:

I used minecarts to grab wood using locked drawers to filter out the crap like leaves and saplings. The carts then drop wood on to my endoflames and then the mana is distributed across the setup.

Apart from needing to reset the carts now and then I'd say it's 90% self sufficient and once I get some kind of pipes and redstone wire it'll do nicely. Thanks pals!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

AceClown posted:

OK I took all the advice here and had another crack at Botania as I'll probably need the item duplication thing at some point:

I used minecarts to grab wood using locked drawers to filter out the crap like leaves and saplings. The carts then drop wood on to my endoflames and then the mana is distributed across the setup.

Apart from needing to reset the carts now and then I'd say it's 90% self sufficient and once I get some kind of pipes and redstone wire it'll do nicely. Thanks pals!

This is pretty rad, but you can take it one step further. Use Exoflames to fuel vanilla furnaces to turn that wood into charcoal for 8x the mana per wood.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Not for nothin', but I'm really enjoying Factory Tech as far as a fairly early-game, self-sustained tech mod goes.

It's very manual at first, but I can see how you'd be able to automate a lot of it with clever stuff. If nothing else it's kind of neat to have something that doesn't need an RF infrastructure, just replacement parts.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

AceClown posted:

Also, open every lootbox (the square ones found inside loot bags) until you have a helmet with an obscene amount of "Luck" on it. It makes the mobs drop a stupid amount of reliquary items which can be crafted in to an even more obscene amount of basic mats and cool Reliquary trinkets.

Uh yeah holy poo poo. I got a weird helmet with Loot 203 on it...and I killed an enderman and got 15 of those reliquary drops.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

Uh yeah holy poo poo. I got a weird helmet with Loot 203 on it...and I killed an enderman and got 15 of those reliquary drops.
See my post above about how witches are now your highest priority targets.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is MFR getting updated to 1.12.2, or is that Industrial Foregoing mod going to be the effective replacement?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is MFR getting updated to 1.12.2, or is that Industrial Foregoing mod going to be the effective replacement?

According to Taffer, industrial foregoing has some dumb things in it, including the fact that sewage is literally lava. Last I heard Taffer was going to fork it and fix a bunch of bugs with it and add new features. But yes, Industrial foregoing is meant to be an up-to-date replacement for MFR.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
In MSB3 is there any sort of...guardian pet or something I can make? Turret? Anything to kill these damned endermen everywhere.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Falcon2001 posted:

In MSB3 is there any sort of...guardian pet or something I can make? Turret? Anything to kill these damned endermen everywhere.

Immersive Engineering does, indeed, have turrets. Bullet and flamethrower turrets. Be careful with the latter, though -- they can inflict some pretty serious friendly fire. They do shred endermen though.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So when starting on the Garden of Glass island, is there a reason to keep the living root blocks around or should you just harvest them all?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

So when starting on the Garden of Glass island, is there a reason to keep the living root blocks around or should you just harvest them all?

Harvest them all. Be very careful not to drop any into the void; they're precious.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Immersive Engineering does, indeed, have turrets. Bullet and flamethrower turrets. Be careful with the latter, though -- they can inflict some pretty serious friendly fire. They do shred endermen though.

Immersive engineering also has telsa coils which do not discriminate what they shock, there is armor that mitigates it but it only lasts so long.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

According to Taffer, industrial foregoing has some dumb things in it, including the fact that sewage is literally lava. Last I heard Taffer was going to fork it and fix a bunch of bugs with it and add new features. But yes, Industrial foregoing is meant to be an up-to-date replacement for MFR.

Someone else already did 95% of the work porting MFR, but it's waiting on skyboy for some final things. It's All Rights Reserved so just taking the code and re-releasing it is no go.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Both kinds of turrets have IFF which by default doesn't target the player. Just don't get between the turret and whatever it's shooting at.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Hey Vib Rib, I love your Technodefirmacraft EZ pack! It's the perfect pacing and lack of bullshit. I *so* wish other modpacks outright told you which pathways are a waste of time to pursue instead of expect you to parse it out from the wall of NEI items.

I'm at the stage where I'm trying to build a IE crusher but it requires 4 diamonds. The guidebook says you can only find those with Kimberlite ore (so sluice and sifting is out of the question) but the layers for that are sedimentary and igneous extrusive which is...basically everywhere? Are you supposed to just luck out and hope you stumble upon it on the surface?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of endermen, is there any way to turn off that annoying "enderman dying" noise?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Assuming that's your mob farm, I assume you'd just want a regular old sound muffler to take care of all the things.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

No, in general. Evolved endermen pop up like loving weeds regardless of light levels and they're just noisy as hell and constantly in the way.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Bouchacha posted:

Hey Vib Rib, I love your Technodefirmacraft EZ pack! It's the perfect pacing and lack of bullshit. I *so* wish other modpacks outright told you which pathways are a waste of time to pursue instead of expect you to parse it out from the wall of NEI items.

I'm at the stage where I'm trying to build a IE crusher but it requires 4 diamonds. The guidebook says you can only find those with Kimberlite ore (so sluice and sifting is out of the question) but the layers for that are sedimentary and igneous extrusive which is...basically everywhere? Are you supposed to just luck out and hope you stumble upon it on the surface?

The answer to "how do I find this ore" in TFC is to find the right rock type on the top layer then run around with the prospector's pick until you get a reading of the ore you're looking for. There is basically no other solution since tunnel mining is slow and hazardous.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Evil Mastermind posted:

No, in general. Evolved endermen pop up like loving weeds regardless of light levels and they're just noisy as hell and constantly in the way.

There's an 'enemy noises' option in the sound settings, that's about the only thing. Evolved Endermen are definitely one of my least favorite parts about that pack.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bouchacha posted:

To be honest I don't completely remember, as I haven't played it since around the time I released it, but yeah I think your goal for diamonds is just to find a deposit by searching. I've bumped up the frequency, so it shouldn't be as bad as the normal standard (in which it only spawned in Gabbro), but an inevitable part of the pack is still basically just wandering and prospecting.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

There's an 'enemy noises' option in the sound settings, that's about the only thing. Evolved Endermen are definitely one of my least favorite parts about that pack.

Is there a reason not to just turn off that mod?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Is there a reason not to just turn off that mod?

Easy ender pearls. :shrug:

Cleaning up the useless enderman heads and "friender pearls" was enough of a nuisance that it still might be worth turning it off.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Easy ender pearls. :shrug:

Cleaning up the useless enderman heads and "friender pearls" was enough of a nuisance that it still might be worth turning it off.

Is... is there a frienderman?

Like you look directly at him and instead of mauling you he comes over to give you a high five?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Cicadas! posted:

Is... is there a frienderman?

Like you look directly at him and instead of mauling you he comes over to give you a high five?

Apparently.

quote:

Frienderman

Frienderman are friendly Enderman that can do various things to help you. If you tame one using a Friender Pearl (random chance), you will be able to set it's mode to Follow or Idle. Your tamed Frienderman will protect you (much like a tamed wolf) when you are attacked. You can also hand your tamed Frienderman a chest (EnderStorage, IronChests, and Vanilla currently supported) that it will carry and pick up nearby items when they drop.

I think they spawn in the End.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Oh. Well that's neat.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quick MSB3 question: has anyone else had a hard time getting blazes to spawn? I've had to cheat in a few blaze rods just to progress because I sat in the nether for ten minutes and only pigmen are appearing in my spawner.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Quick MSB3 question: has anyone else had a hard time getting blazes to spawn? I've had to cheat in a few blaze rods just to progress because I sat in the nether for ten minutes and only pigmen are appearing in my spawner.

Is the floor of your spawner netherrack? They only spawn on netherrack.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah, make a big netherrack platform but it's still gonna take a while. There's a botania fel pumpkin too if you need just one, but I just make a big platform, wait for things to spawn on it, and if there's no blazes, jump off the edge into the void. You'll loop back to the sky and land without dying if you're at full health and it wipes all the mob spawns. :eng101:

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, Botania has a poorly documented feature where you can place a "Fel Pumpkin" on top of two iron bars (think like you're making a snow golem) and it'll spawn a blaze. However, the blaze only drops blaze powder, not the rods. It's a feature for Botania's built-in Garden of Glass skyblock mode. This is pretty useless for MSB3 since blaze powder is one of the first things you can make.

Shiiit, forgot about that.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 24, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, Botania has a poorly documented feature where you can place a "Fel Pumpkin" on top of two iron bars (think like you're making a snow golem) and it'll spawn a blaze. However, the blaze only drops blaze powder, not the rods. It's a feature for Botania's built-in Garden of Glass skyblock mode. This is pretty useless for MSB3 since blaze powder is one of the first things you can make.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Is the floor of your spawner netherrack? They only spawn on netherrack.
Ah, yup, that what it was. Thanks!

(and I know it's been said before, but good lord MegaLoot Luck is broken. One blaze gave me 31 molten cores.)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ah, yup, that what it was. Thanks!

(and I know it's been said before, but good lord MegaLoot Luck is broken. One blaze gave me 31 molten cores.)

It's more specifically that Reliquary doesn't interact well with it.

Unrelated to the quote, but I unlocked the Overpowered quest line in gated-mode MSB3, and started looking at Avaritia. The first thing one has to do is make Neutron Collectors, which... create 1/81th of an ingot of stuff once every 6 minutes and change. Shitloads of the ingots are needed to make anything. I guess I'm supposed to make thousands of these collectors?

I think I've "beaten" this pack. :v:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
anything like blightfall on 1.12 yet? I'm not a big fan of sky block stuff, but do like tight, progression based questing. Doesn't necessarily need to be a premade map like blightfall.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I'm playing the new FTB Pyramid map. It's pretty fun, but short. I've only played it for a few hours, and I'm already nearly finished (unless it unlocks a new set of quests like the old feed the beast map did.) I've had to dig pretty deep to figure out how to progress, since it doesn't explicitly lay it out for you. I've already broken progression twice, too. :sun:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Unrelated to the quote, but I unlocked the Overpowered quest line in gated-mode MSB3, and started looking at Avaritia. The first thing one has to do is make Neutron Collectors, which... create 1/81th of an ingot of stuff once every 6 minutes and change. Shitloads of the ingots are needed to make anything. I guess I'm supposed to make thousands of these collectors?

It's a joke mod made to lampoon grindiness that pack makers all looked at and said, 'yes that's a good idea' and used it for serious.

So, yes.

Also, no, no new Blightfall, sorry. There's Forever Stranded/Forever Stranded:Lost Souls for non-skyblock progressiony story-ish things though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

anything like blightfall on 1.12 yet? I'm not a big fan of sky block stuff, but do like tight, progression based questing. Doesn't necessarily need to be a premade map like blightfall.
Sevtech is supposed to drop tomorrow; it has tech-age based progression. I don't know if it's quest-based though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sevtech is supposed to drop tomorrow; it has tech-age based progression. I don't know if it's quest-based though.

The design philosophy was "give me something that I (Sevadus) can play on stream for 6 months", sooo unless there's an easy mode (I don't think there's an easy mode yet) it might be on the grindy side for the end game stuff.