Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

This was Liberace's house, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This was Liberace's house, right?

Or Boss Hogg.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

That house is one clock tower away from being Castlevania: Meemaw and Pep-Pep Edition. The Elvis mannequin is definitely a boss.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Humans did not live in that bouse, it wad aliens very in to interior design and toy car collecting. They also only had late 70's early 80's TV to go on.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Who knew Liberace's poor first cousins lived in Highland Park?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The decor is awful, but this line in the description is really loving omnious:

quote:

Only shown on sunny days.

What happens to it on not-sunny days? :tinfoil:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh yeah, there's definitely a curse here. All the contents are included with the house. Even the car.

All this could be yours. Every bit of it.

I imagine the car is staying because it costs $666/mile to fuel the thing, making it too expensive to move.

Host your own MtG game nights.

Groovy.

Why a single bed? Was this a child's room?

You cannot convince me that these are just pictures of anything but a very detailed dollhouse.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Haifisch posted:

The decor is awful, but this line in the description is really loving omnious:

What happens to it on not-sunny days? :tinfoil:

The vampire who still lives there eats visitors.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

drgitlin posted:

The vampire who still lives there eats visitors.

"Buyer is under obligation to determine Meemaw and Pep-Pep's final resting places within house and reinter them at a crossroads before next new moon. Seller disclaims all responsibility and knowledge. Seriously, we don't know either, please stop asking"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Collateral Damage posted:

I am the complete lack of any form of consistency throughout the house.

Brick! No wait, stone! No, shingles! Square windows! No wait, round windows! I love white! No, green is my favorite color! Oh I know, 70s green and brown! Perfect! How about make it look like an old people's home! I just came back from the UK and I'm feeling inspired, put carpet in the bathroom! You know what I love? Wood paneling! Actually, glass and mirrors is JUST my style. Black and white is so in right now! Earthen tones! Let's make our basement look like the saddest outdoor café!

The entire house was decorated by an ADD squirrel on a caffeine rush.

At first I thought it was just two styles, and was a situation where a husband and wife had very different taste and stayed out of each other's areas. But no, it just goes on and on and on. Some of the stuff looks like it could have been done for a teenage son, but none of the 3 bedrooms are suitable for children.

It's like someone had movie-style multiple personality disorder, and each personality got to decorate one room.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So I did it, I'm buying a house, barring some insane revelation of Indian burial grounds under the basement: https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/nj/totowa/160-willard-ave/pid_23371414/ (it is adjacent to a cemetery though.)
The kitchen isn't in the photos but it has dark wood cabinets, bordering on black, with an attached den with shag carpet, which will have to be updated. The appliances are dated, I'll eventually have to put in modern, efficient replacements. The house is kind of a time capsule because the previous owner was a 95 year old who passed recently, hopefully not in the house.

I have a kind of list of things I want to do and improve over the coming years. I want to eventually pour a concrete patio in the backyard for entertaining, that back door goes to the back of the garage so its kind of a pain to access the backyard. The upstairs room (with a boob light:v:) is a converted attic, it will most likely be a spare bedroom; I want to replace the linoleum floor with wood or carpet, and some kind of brighter wall paneling. The basement is nice but dated, I kind of want to put in wood paneling & mirrors for a 70's fitness room aesthetic. What do you folks think?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
The first thing I'd do is save those MLS photos to your device and then upload as an imgur album and share that link instead... On a PC you can right click>Save for most pictures or use a browser like Opera with a snapshot option.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Meet the owner and hear his story.
https://www.northjersey.com/story/money/business/michigan/2018/03/16/grixdale-detroit-home-photos/432754002/

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Confirmed bachelor directing his closeted energies into a maelstrom of questionable design choices and exhaustive dusting.

You can come out, Ron, you will be loved and accepted if you just let us! YOU DON'T NEED TO KEEP DUSTING.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 18, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

You want to have colors that flow,” he said. “You don’t want a kaleidoscope.”
Riiiight.

The funny part is I've read comments on other articles saying that house is massively overpriced for the area(median home price around $150k). I'm sure large chunks of that price tag are for the classic cars, but dude's in for a shock when people don't see all the other junk in the house as adding value.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh yeah, there's definitely a curse here. All the contents are included with the house. Even the car.

All this could be yours. Every bit of it.

I imagine the car is staying because it costs $666/mile to fuel the thing, making it too expensive to move.
I dig the pimp car.

quote:

Why a single bed? Was this a child's room?
It's a sarcophagus, duh.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

You can come out, Ron, you will be loved and accepted if you just let us! YOU DON'T NEED TO KEEP DUSTING.

After reading this article I could really see his relationship with Scott Pipes being of of the sort of two older WASPs who could never allow themselves to be together, but they could work on the house together. First just a few weekends just as an excuse to be near each other, then, well, don't we need to renovate the bathrooms too? And... and dammit, Scott, the garage does need carpeting, doesn't it? We'll get to that right after we grab another lucite swan, and I've got a lead on a seller out in Martha's Vineyard

I really hope my dude sells his house and can move to Miami or something.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Wall words: The next level.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
please don't make fun of my stairs

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Parachute posted:

please don't make fun of my stairs

No I prefer what you wrote the first time, I'd get it stencilled on my walls.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

No I prefer what you wrote the first time, I'd get it stencilled on my walls.

i think im most bothered by how the text isnt even aligned properly

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

"We Make Mistakes."

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Parachute posted:

i think im most bothered by how the text isnt even aligned properly

Mis-aligned text is like the “casual, simple, homestyle” typesetting, that “simple country folk” thing that people romanticize in design. I see those word art wooden plaques with that poo poo. Also some generic ribbon and a thick, curled wire hangar.

It’s like how people cut potatoes crooked in “homestyle” soup.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

deep web creep posted:

After reading this article I could really see his relationship with Scott Pipes being of of the sort of two older WASPs who could never allow themselves to be together, but they could work on the house together. First just a few weekends just as an excuse to be near each other, then, well, don't we need to renovate the bathrooms too? And... and dammit, Scott, the garage does need carpeting, doesn't it? We'll get to that right after we grab another lucite swan, and I've got a lead on a seller out in Martha's Vineyard

I really hope my dude sells his house and can move to Miami or something.

I can’t hate this guy for the place. It’s gaudy and utterly bizarre, but at least the guy has a vision. It looks thought out and intentional, like some sort of bizarro art installation.

It’s better than the Costco collection suburban McMansion decor or the generic West Elm instagram-emulations haphazardly strewn about.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

It’s better than the Costco collection suburban McMansion decor or the generic West Elm instagram-emulations haphazardly strewn about.

Hard agree.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

red19fire posted:

I'm the M hand towel jammed between two oven doors. I'm also the entire house as the physical manifestation of the last thought Liberace had as he lay dying.

That’s an insult to Liberace. Say what you will about the man’s taste, it was fifty times as expensive as what Ronald and Scott could pull off.

Also I’m the Monet’s water lilies + Evangelion Unit 01 color scheme in the bathroom.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
im the comatose jerk-off white color scheme

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

learnincurve posted:

That’s not even remotely true and comes across as quite a bit racist posted next to your av. The UK from above is very very green. It’s a complex issue stemming from the way old medieval cities were layed out (when the population was only a few million) and also how the new industrial revolution cities were thrown up to accommodate a massive influx of people that came in from the countryside as cheaply as possible.

What is strange is when the govenment new build estate building projects happened after the wars they went “I know what poor people with lots of children will want! Massive gardens!”

I didn’t get any racism from that guy.
The South East of the UK very clearly is overcrowded, especially in terms of the infrastructure (roads, rail, services). Even if you wrongly blame immigration for that, you’re not really being racist.

That’s a general Uk problem with being London centric, and not investing enough in *anything* that might fix it.

UK houses being tiny / badly designed is a separate problem in large part though, other that land being expensive.

Partly it’s just that lots of our houses are ooooold, and pre-date things like bathrooms, so they’re small and compromised. Even so, period properties are valued and more popular that newer ones as they are better built: big windows, fireplaces, high ceilings.

And we threw up tons of cheap crappy houses in the post war years with no regard for design, size, space.

That legacy, and the historic layout of cities makes it difficult to fix things.

We also don’t enforce enough design standards for new houses that make them decent to live in:

Tiny windows, everywhere, always.
No high ceilings.
5 bed detached houses packed together so close you can jump between them.
Terraced houses with no sound insulation between neighbours.
New-build estates built with no public transport, no shops/entertainment nearby and no road connections to cope with the traffic.

We also do nothing to encourage moving away from the insane breeze block->bricks-> tiles building method, which is slow and wasteful and soo slow. And we cling to them.

50 years ago our public housing (council houses) building standards for room size, layout, construction were actually higher than we have ever enforced for private houses (or enforce now). The only thing we’ve improved is insulation.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Until England has room for proper national parks (free from farming & shooting as well as homes and industry) and room for the reintroduction of wolves and bears, it's overpopulated...

Agree.
Take a trip to the west of Ireland to see what it’d be like if there weren’t 10x too many people everywhere all the time (South East England anyway).

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I had to look up "breeze block." They just sound like they'd be nicer to carry around than cinder blocks. The power of marketing!

There's a part of me that -- despite the character of this house and the fact that I would prefer not to move again, ever -- would like to build new with much more energy-efficient method. I can't imagine how much less leaky the place would be if instead of fieldstone construction it were, say, insulated concrete form construction. But unless we hit the lottery, our money's going toward retirement under the assumption that at some point Republicans are going to succeed in gutting Social Security and such.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

We also don’t enforce enough design standards for new houses that make them decent to live in:

Tiny windows, everywhere, always.
No high ceilings.
5 bed detached houses packed together so close you can jump between them.
Terraced houses with no sound insulation between neighbours.
New-build estates built with no public transport, no shops/entertainment nearby and no road connections to cope with the traffic.

*built on a flood plain, designed to flood in conditions damper than 'light sprinkle', because it's loving farmland
*expat buy-to-let landlord bought off-plan, never visited the place, sole means of contact is a mobile number

I mean I've lived in a few shitholes, but Hell is where someone drew a squiggly circular line and squished as many boxes as they could around it. And the boxes fall apart after twenty years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

spincube posted:

*expat buy-to-let landlord bought off-plan, never visited the place, sole means of contact is a mobile number

*you give him a call because the hot water tank exploded, get no response, find out two days later he’s in Lithuania for the rest of the summer

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Interior of a Frank Lloyd Wright house in Connecticut

More pictures here: https://www.6sqft.com/own-frank-lloyd-wrights-horseshoe-shaped-tirranna-home-in-new-canaan-ct-for-8m/
Can't really find if it was sold or not.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I like the design, but I'm not sold on the salmon floor.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

*you give him a call because the hot water tank exploded, get no response, find out two days later he’s in Lithuania for the rest of the summer

Y'all are lucky with your "ties to the UK" landlord, one of my landlords in London was six guys in Singapore who'd never set foot in the country.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

More pictures here: https://www.6sqft.com/own-frank-lloyd-wrights-horseshoe-shaped-tirranna-home-in-new-canaan-ct-for-8m/

Is that floor dyed, polished concrete, or some massive tiles?

I feel like Frank Lloyd Wright houses would be acceptable if re-built with modern high-end triple glazing & insulation, but a pain to live in as is.

They do look beautiful though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

wooger posted:

I think it might actually be a kind of red brick or concrete. A lot of the Usonian houses have very similar flooring with underfloor radiant heat and I almost wonder if it has something to do with the heating technology at the time.

Also if you haven’t heard the Usonian houses episodes of 99% Invisible, don’t because they will make you want to buy a Usonian house and then bitter that they’re all >$1 million and kind of impractical for modern life. There are a lot of really great Usonian-inspired or ‘Post-Usonian’ ranches and such out there, to say nothing of how modern construction has adopted a lot of those design hallmarks, but hearing their history broken down really gives you an appreciation for how much of a loving visionary FLW actually was and why people will get on waitlists and move across the country to live in the genuine article.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 24, 2018

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

wooger posted:

I feel like Frank Lloyd Wright houses would be acceptable if re-built with modern high-end triple glazing & insulation, but a pain to live in as is.

They do look beautiful though.

I believe that the floors are polished concrete, colored with a shake-on pigment. I had thought that Wright favored a "Cherokee Red", so I'm wondering about the coloring in the pictures, since they all do look dark pink.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Okay, but how do you access the large pottery storage shelf? Do you have to climb the bookcase?

Obviously you DO have to get up there. The large pottery isn't going to dust itself.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
What, you don't have pottery-dusting servants to sort that out for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

How else are you going to keep your large pottery safe from Link?