Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

in this case the character is strictly in "SHIP" mode and is attempting to rotate the ship

its amazing how insidious this problem is in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Star Citizer: promised feature X not implemented cos the backers voted NO

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
How bout this personal fave...

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

As an Asian myself I personally can't wait for the local forums to blow up on this piece of poo poo.

Most of us are too busy playing waifu games to notice its existence. And with a game as broken as Star Citizer without female avatars, it's a definite no. Unless Chris has a female character creator rivaling Black Desert, then maybe.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Toops posted:

HULLO PLEASE TO MEET U DAK DAK DAK DAK

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

:lol:

The hardest I've laughed all week.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Except he doesn't have ideas, just a list of cool stuff he's seen. It's fine (arguably inevitable) for a creator to be inspired by other people's work, for instance to see the sandworms in Dune and think "I wonder how the ecosystem would create such a thing? What would the world that supported that really be like? This gives me the idea for a story..." It's not acceptable to just go "Dune was really successful and had sandworms, so I'm going to have sandworms in my world." Croberts is at the same level as Friedberg and Seltzer: none of them actually do something new based on something old, they just recreate the something old and are then bewildered when no one's impressed.

That is the literal definition of an Ideas Guy. It's not a compliment. Robert Space is the definitive Ideas Guy, Ryan Archer is not even on the same planet.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
Illectro finds the "hottest hardware".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ke_HUzDz8c

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Around the world, around the wo-orld, around the world, around the wo-orld....

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

:gary: :yarg:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Preen Dog posted:

Thanks for the poll, but is it really different?

downout posted:

Isn't this more of the same? It seems littered with references to functionality that doesn't exist in the game but is presented as if it is in and functional?

I think this latest outing with Chris taken in tandem with several other huge deviations over the last 4+ months from The Chris Roberts Playbook mark 2018 as the most substantial attempt at a course correction over the last 6 years.

I understand why skepticism would be high; my intuitive take may be overly generous. I don’t assume that they’re righting the ship altogether from here on out, just that the captain finally has admitted what developers have probably known for some time — that the dumbass hit an iceberg quite some time ago and they’re been taking on water since while he sat up in the Captain’s Quarters enjoying poached salmon and Cognac and telling himself “even God can’t sink her.”

I’m only just listening to it for the second time now to mark the sound bites that really stand out — but there’s a ton of subtextual :chanpop: going on here.

That there is some illusion of continuity with the past arises from both Lando’s and Chris’s inability to admit that the major changes being undertaken point towards past failures brought about by The Chris Roberts Way. Even Lando’s open is an absurdly charitable take on the past that doesn’t comport with reality. Roberts is admitting to some big problems yet taking no blame for his agency in creating them, just as one might expect from such a character-deficient personality.

Even as they’re affirming the major changes, the old habits of revision and hubris die hard. Neither can admit what a debacle 3.0 has been and Chris’s Sea of Thieves snarking (“we have far more gameplay and are so much bigger”) is truly classic but the fact that no one is playing his supposedly deeper game while his loyal streamers are actually playing the shallow, smaller Sea of Thieves shows just how much people actually DO care about Fun. That cliched virtue that Chris seems to have forgotten about long ago actually is kind of important. Whodathunk?

How interesting it is that Erin had only met with Chris earlier that week (or day?) to lay out the unfeasibility of hitting their complete 3.2 feature set target. Chris doesn’t state it this way but it’s obvious they realized the need to take things off the 3.2 plate or they’d never hit it, let alone fix those things missing from 3.1 that prevent too many people from even playing. Code base is broken and perhaps always will be.

I hope SomethingJones has time to take a crack at big portions of this because there really is a lot of stuff here and it feels to me like some existential realization broke through even Chris’s Reality Distortion Bubble and is forcing him to confront and correct the deficiencies of the past because they’re finally catching up to him. He can sneer about Sea of Thieves all he wants but it doesn’t change the fact that that’s a game even his most committed streamers would rather play. And play it they have been quite a bit while ignoring his own because it’s unplayable.

I don’t mean by saying all this that to say radical transformations of character are afoot but he’s had to admit far too much in this uncomfortable session of self-congratulatory mea culpas to pretend more of the same is what’s needed. More of the same is killing them and it feels like the people who matter finally figured it out late last year.

(I could be wrong about all this but that’s how it feels to me...)

Quavers posted:

Star Citizer: promised feature X not implemented cos the backers voted NO

That’s exactly what is going on, I think. But getting permission to downsize in advance to the preferences of the backers is a major improvement over the old ways. It will enfranchise them and reduce hostilities because backers had ample warnings that changes were coming beforehand.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 24, 2018

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

G0RF posted:

But getting permission to downsize in advance to the preferences of the backers is a major improvement over the old ways.

They unilaterally downsized (by failing to deliver on 3.1, which was over-scoped to placate the backers after a disappointing 3.0) and are asking the backers to absolve it (not really asking because they have no choice). Also, dangling new features in a list as bait for the next round of funding. On the day they start a bunch of new ship sales for Terrapin, Reclaimer, etc.

I hope we can still be friends.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

New sale of new old ships!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//16470-Newly-Flyable-Ships-Ready-For-Takeoff

"Flyable"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Preen Dog posted:

They unilaterally downsized (by failing to deliver on 3.1, which was over-scoped to placate the backers after a disappointing 3.0) and are asking the backers to absolve it (not really asking because they have no choice). Also, dangling new features in a list as bait for the next round of funding. On the day they start a bunch of new ship sales for Terrapin, Reclaimer, etc.

I hope we can still be friends.

You’re right but the key distinction that’s new is “they have no choice”.

After the Star Marine debacle, they had a choice and Chris chose the path of least resistance. Revise the past, dismiss the critics and pretend everything was the same as before right up until when Kotaku UK forced him to correct the record. He was too proud to be honest or forthcoming and even when confronted 7 months after his “just a game mode” hand waving he never admitted fault.

“I don’t know what happened... I thought everybody was on the same page but...”

After the Squadron 42 vertical slice was a surprise no show at CitizenCon, they put out a docudrama that fully captured the dysfunctions of the studio under Chris with no apologies coming because “it’s for the best... a rushed game is...”

Why do they have no choice this time? Why couldn’t they just pull a fast one come 3.2 and say “oops, well guess what we pushed to 3.3?”

Why not follow the old ways that come so naturally to Chris? The ways that served him for several years?

Because something has changed and to do so would make things worse in a way that was palpable to Chris. This is what’s new.

You’re right of course that more downsizing is occuring and there’s much more to come but consider how different it is to warn in advance and solicit priorities versus what happened with Star Marine or 3.0 (whose downsizing I documented pretty damningly in infographic form.)

I’m less than fifteen minutes into my second listen and Chris is actually admitting to a great deal he’s never admitted to before even while collectivizing blame that is really is his to shoulder. Were he a better sort of leader he’d own it all but he isn’t and can’t. Lando can’t admit it either and seeks his favorite refuge in the whole “we’re live development” excuse as if they couldn’t have prioritized basic playability issues all along...

We’re still friends and if the future reveal I’m in the wrong on this set of intuitions about the last 4-5 months I’ll be the first to admit down the road. Longtime thread readers know I’ve treated cash scarcity rumors skeptically in the past because we never saw the kinds of course corrections to indicate they had a care in the world. 2015 through most of 2017 has been a marathon of self-owns that are unrivaled in gaming history yet CR couldn’t be bothered to say “we’ve got to stop shooting ourselves in the foot - people might start thinking we don’t know what we’re doing!” (It climaxed at Gamescom 2017...)

By the year end Livestream, CIG was putting on a very different face. They’re still wearing it. I don’t know the specific triggers but I sure watched the last few years closely and this one feels very different. I can’t effort post with citations yet and am making no case for their turnaround prospects, just saying that what we heard today was as close as we’re going to get to hearing Chris they really need one.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 24, 2018

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

big nipples big life posted:

Have you seen him use a keyboard or hold a controller? He doesn't play anything.

He plays aging nerds like Yo-Yo Ma plays the cello. :colbert:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Letter from the Chairman: $19 Million! posted:

Finally there is one very important element – the more funds we can raise in the pre-launch phase, the more we can invest in additional content (more ships, characters etc.) and perhaps more importantly we can apply greater number of resources to the various tasks to ensure we deliver the full functionality sooner rather than later.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Oh good a ship sale. We haven't had one of those for about 5 days now.

Edit: Seriously though, they just had a St. Patrick's day ship sale, and now this. Doesn't scream something being wrong at all.

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free
You guise are gay

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

Like really gay

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

Let me know the time

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

That poll is such a tremendously terrible idea. At least it would be for a properly functioning studio.

"Vote on what critical and essential portions of our game we should implement next!"

That's the project manager's job, it's not a topic for voting. What the gently caress?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

XK posted:

That poll is such a tremendously terrible idea. At least it would be for a properly functioning studio.

"Vote on what critical and essential portions of our game we should implement next!"

That's the project manager's job, it's not a topic for voting. What the gently caress?

It's more like "vote on what essential portions of our game we should leave out of the next patch"

Joke's on the backers, though--they're all being left out

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Foo Diddley posted:

It's more like "vote on what essential portions of our game we should leave out of the next patch"

Joke's on the backers, though--they're all being left out

This is probably the most plausible explanation.

The people that pay attention to the propaganda and buy things are the ones that are going to vote on a poll. So they are trying to focus their limited capabilities and smoke and mirrors on the thing the customers will pay the most for.

I guess it's one of those perception things though. Backers will see CIG letting them choose features with polls as a heroic thing from a great developer and a tribute to open development. I see that CIG has no plan and can just basically do whatever and that this probably is a signal of money issues if they are laser targeting the whales hopes and dreams while picking and choosing features at this point in development.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 24, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

XK posted:

It’s a preemptive act of participatory capitulation to the inevitable. It’s an attempt to re-enfranchise the disenfranchised.

There’s no excusing the developmental dysfunction that brought them here, but Chris is the one to blame for the ludicrous expectations he authored for their 3.x releases. This is a far more pragmatic way to dial in expectations further. Things have been so misaligned for so long because Chris hasn’t stopped selling The Dream since day 1. These and other recent new steps by CIG suggest paving efforts are finally been authorized for The Reality.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 24, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How soon will they blame the backers for loving up the priorities again?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

VictorianQueerLit posted:

The people that pay attention to the propaganda and buy things are the ones that are going to vote on a poll. So they are trying to focus their limited capabilities and smoke and mirrors on the thing the customers will pay the most for.

I guess it's one of those perception things though. Backers will see CIG letting them choose features with polls as a heroic thing from a great developer and a tribute to open development. I see that CIG has no plan and can just basically do whatever and that this probably is a signal of money issues if they are laser targeting the whales hopes and dreams at this point in development.

I just want to see CIG's excuses for not actually getting the voted feature in to 3.2. Or the half-assed implementation that they manage to squeeze out, that'd be pretty funny too

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Foo Diddley posted:

I just want to see CIG's excuses for not actually getting the voted feature in to 3.2. Or the half-assed implementation that they manage to squeeze out, that'd be pretty funny too
2 features win. Neither gets implemented because the other one is 'just as important to the community.'

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

TheGodofIris posted:

Let me know the time

Tane

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Crobbler ....archered the kilrathi from star track the loving animated series? Bonus points: they're called Kzinti

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Kzinti

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

:black101:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I guess it's one of those perception things though. Backers will see CIG letting them choose features with polls as a heroic thing from a great developer and a tribute to open development. I see that CIG has no plan and can just basically do whatever and that this probably is a signal of money issues if they are laser targeting the whales hopes and dreams while picking and choosing features at this point in development.

:yeah:
I think they've been somewhat disappointed with concept sales since whatever space bike sold really well. This feels a bit to me like trying to feel out where the wallets are pointing, but the primary goal is to dupe backers into thinking CIG listens to them.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

I hope someone warned Chris about the furry caterpillar that crawled on his pate before the pic was taken. Then have venom that can cause a painful rash or even anaphylaxis. :ohdear:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Huh... at least they let Niven write his own adaptation of them for TAS

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

The Spectrum Poll

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment, but my cynical self has an alternative view, namely that the whole thing could just be yet another play for time. I can already see the reddit all-stars typing up their "well you can't blame CIG because we, ~*the fans*~, dictated priorities in the poll" screeds.

Wise Learned Man fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 24, 2018

Kesshan
Jan 29, 2010

G0RF posted:

It’s a preemptive act of participatory capitulation to the inevitable. It’s an attempt to re-enfranchise the disenfranchised.

There’s no excusing the developmental dysfunction that brought them here, but Chris is the one to blame for the ludicrous expectations he authored for their 3.x releases. This is a far more pragmatic way to dial in expectations further. Things have been so misaligned for so long because Chris hasn’t stopped selling The Dream since day 1. These are other recent new steps by CIG suggest paving efforts are finally been authorized for The Reality.

I can't help but feel this is an overly optimistic interpretation of the situation. This being capitulation seems true if Chris' way is the only way---which, it seems, has been true for the majority of the time within CIG---but I feel as though what is more true is that Chris' dream is the only way and the path to that dream is the backers' money, which Chris knows. Allowing shallow participation to boost the morale of backers while having no intent to focus on those things seems like an easy way for them to buy time, buy trust, and convince the backers to buy jpegs.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

G0RF posted:

First Tier of Guilds & Associations

Lets prioritise a feature that will be practically useless for years and will only further frustrate backers.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bear4TheBearGod

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Toops posted:

OK, I laughed even harder at this one. You are cool and good. Thank you.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

And they're still working on item 2.0 stuff...
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they are perpetually working on 'released' features.
Improved item 2.0 v2 coming soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Frank_Leroux posted:

OMG, OMG, OMG....I just made an account so that I could say that I KNOW WHICH EXACT GENTLY CARESSING GAME YOU"RE TALKING ABOUT!

I can picture the box art even now...

Just a tip, nobody actually says "gently caress" here, it's just a word filter for "gently caress" when you browse the forums without being logged in.