Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't recall the end of ROTJ exactly, but the Death Star 2 is blown up and all of the ships we see the film are destroyed (I think?). It doesn't seem like there's much left, but if the whole fleet isn't what's destroyed in the films and there's more poo poo all over the place then I guess that answers the question but it's lame as gently caress because it ruins the whole happy ending of the film and doesn't really close out the trilogy. The beginning of TFA should have had "The Empire was destroyed, but that poo poo didn't matter because there was more Empire elsewhere!" in the opening title crawl.

Germany didn't get blown up at the end of WWI.

No, but the terms of the end of WWI were wildly punishing to Germany, so they might as well have. They had no army, no tanks, etc. Only once they ignored the terms and rebuilt their army from scratch did they rise up again.

Also, the Empire didn’t blow up. The Death Star and a bunch of their ships did, as did the Emperor. But plenty of the Empire was still around. If a large portion of the American Navy and the President were wiped out or killed, you wouldn’t say the United States was obliterated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

germany and france are different nations, if you have to badly evoke real life at least make it a civil war when you're discussing the republic turning into the empire turning into the republic turning into...whatever unexplained thing the first order wants

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Brother Entropy posted:

germany and france are different nations, if you have to badly evoke real life at least make it a civil war when you're discussing the republic turning into the empire turning into the republic turning into...whatever unexplained thing the first order wants

This analogy is specifically addressing the complaint of how the First Order built up such an army after “only” 30 years. It’s just pointing out that, in real world terms, Germany did similar in less time. Of course it’s possible.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

This analogy is specifically addressing the complaint of how the First Order built up such an army after “only” 30 years. It’s just pointing out that, in real world terms, Germany did similar in less time. Of course it’s possible.

that complaint wasn't about whether it was possible or not, it's about an important aspect of the sequel trilogy's backstory going completely unexplained

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Brother Entropy posted:

that complaint wasn't about whether it was possible or not, it's about an important aspect of the sequel trilogy's backstory going completely unexplained

Do we need an explanation? They built up an army. It’s not unheard of even in the real world. Do you want the movies to spend time going into contract orders and military expenditures? Or does it just matter that they have rebuilt from the ashes of the Empire, like the opening crawl says they did?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

an explanation for how the first order came into being would help clarify potential goals or outcomes that they're fighting for, making me actually give a poo poo about them as antagonists or comprehend what has changed now that kylo ren is in charge

as it is it's transparently obvious they just went 'well we need another empire-like group' and it's hard to get interested in something so lame

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are trying to find Luke Skywalker and destroy the republic.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
what do we know about the empires motivation at the start of anh

theyre just rear end in a top hat authoritarians like all of lucas' movies up until then contain facets of

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
unfortunately this doesnt cut it after half a dozen movies and decades of world building

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Han: "gently caress me, hold tight. What's that?"

Lando: "It's my belt, Han."

Han: "No, Lando. There's a blaster in your trousers. What's a blaster doing in your trousers?

Lando: "For protection."

Han: "Protection from what? Ze Germans?"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Food Boner posted:

unfortunately this doesnt cut it after half a dozen movies and decades of world building

Conversely, sure it does. Star Wars is based on serial sci-if pulp. The movies should be viewed as such.

A Galactic Empire fell. From it’s remnants, a new Empire rose. And I’m gonna be over here thinking that’s a fun and cool setting for a movie.

Snoke’s motives don’t matter. What does matter is that, whatever they were, they’ve been replaced by those a murderous psychopath obsessed with revenge and wiping out what came before. And he now has near unlimited resources. What the hell is he going to do with that? That’s your story.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Snoke shouldn’t have been in the movies at all. A lame character with a dumb name.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

sponges posted:

Snoke shouldn’t have been in the movies at all. A lame character with a dumb name.

I can’t disagree about the dumb name.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

thrawn527 posted:

Conversely, sure it does. Star Wars is based on serial sci-if pulp. The movies should be viewed as such.

A Galactic Empire fell. From it’s remnants, a new Empire rose. And I’m gonna be over here thinking that’s a fun and cool setting for a movie.

Snoke’s motives don’t matter. What does matter is that, whatever they were, they’ve been replaced by those a murderous psychopath obsessed with revenge and wiping out what came before. And he now has near unlimited resources. What the hell is he going to do with that? That’s your story.

what i'm reading here is "tfa was completely irrelevant" and while you're not wrong it's probably not the ringing endorsement you think it is

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ungulateman posted:

what i'm reading here is "tfa was completely irrelevant" and while you're not wrong it's probably not the ringing endorsement you think it is

What? That’s not even remotely what I said. I said that the backstory leading into TFA is irrelevant. Though I’ll admit my post was referring to TLJ, but it was not at all dismissing TFA.

TFA was not telling Snoke’s story. It was telling part of Kylo and Rey’s origin story. Snoke was just one character in Kylo’s origin story.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Would the Snoke haters have liked the movie more if Hux had been dark side Supreme Leader? Or the Goering looking guy on the dreadnought?

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
anh wouldnt have worked out if it had been a reboot of flash gordon

homage isnt the same as rote copying

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

What? That’s not even remotely what I said. I said that the backstory leading into TFA is irrelevant. Though I’ll admit my post was referring to TLJ, but it was not at all dismissing TFA.

TFA was not telling Snoke’s story. It was telling part of Kylo and Rey’s origin story. Snoke was just one character in Kylo’s origin story.

also if backstory is irrelevant why not just do something new

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOcUL0FuKIQ

This is better than most of the poo poo they left in

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The problems not that the First Order built up in 30 years, It's that they did it nowhere (Their territory dislike all things with them inconsistently and contradictorily explained) When the OG Empire had to use the whole Galaxy to do the equivalent. A more apt comparison than real life WWI to WWII Germany would be if after WWI Germany used the resources of an unknown continent in the middle of the Atlantic everyone had failed to notice in order to build a military bigger than all the Allies combined.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jeb! Repetition posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOcUL0FuKIQ

This is better than most of the poo poo they left in

Brain dead producers/director/editor

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Baron Porkface posted:

Would the Snoke haters have liked the movie more if Hux had been dark side Supreme Leader? Or the Goering looking guy on the dreadnought?

Actually, yeah, I think that could have been interesting. Have him and Kylo's relationship a bit like Thrawn and C'Boath in the old novels - he thinks Kylo's a useful tool who he can control, only to realize too late that he can't keep Kylo in check anymore. Basically start them off where TLJ ends, with the two of them in an unstable and unsustainable alliance. Snoke was completely unnecessary and didn't add anything to their dynamic.

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018
contrary to expectations the film turned out pretty good) I was glad to see Yoda))

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

galagazombie posted:

The problems not that the First Order built up in 30 years, It's that they did it nowhere (Their territory dislike all things with them inconsistently and contradictorily explained) When the OG Empire had to use the whole Galaxy to do the equivalent. A more apt comparison than real life WWI to WWII Germany would be if after WWI Germany used the resources of an unknown continent in the middle of the Atlantic everyone had failed to notice in order to build a military bigger than all the Allies combined.

They are some key differences between space and 1930s earth

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They are some key differences between space and 1930s earth

The story of how the First Order was built up using resources unknown to the larger galaxy to become powerful enough to supersede the New Republic would have made a far more interesting story than TFA.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
First order mimicking the build up of germany during the 30s is okay and sort of works. What doesn't work is former imperial territory, now republic territory, not having industry or arms adequate to check eventual first order aggression.

In the analogy great britain would've kept their navy and arms to a minimum and the US/russia would not exist as a military state.
Reminder that the republic in TLJ has nothing in the way of arms.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Schwarzwald posted:

The story of how the First Order was built up using resources unknown to the larger galaxy to become powerful enough to supersede the New Republic would have made a far more interesting story than TFA.

People said the same thing about Vader's backstory and the Clone Wars and look how that turned out

Bad

Really bad

Wild Horses posted:

You can clearly see a fleet of ships above the planets that get blown up in TFA.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
yeah, they have nothing after a fleet blew up. that's pitiful

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Snoke can kiss my rear end.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ammanas posted:

People said the same thing about Vader's backstory and the Clone Wars and look how that turned out

Thank goodness Disney is here to protect from the prequels. :geno:

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 24, 2018

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Ammanas posted:

Bad

Really bad

You can clearly see a fleet of ships above the planets that get blown up in TFA.

The idea was really really good, Lucas just didn't have the skill to really bring something like that through.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

First order mimicking the build up of germany during the 30s is okay and sort of works. What doesn't work is former imperial territory, now republic territory, not having industry or arms adequate to check eventual first order aggression.

In the analogy great britain would've kept their navy and arms to a minimum and the US/russia would not exist as a military state.
It makes some sense to me - the old Republic had no army up until the point where it began to be corrupted into the Empire. I can see why they would want to avoid a repeat of that. They did try to make another set of Jedi peacekeepers but that didn't exactly work out.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It makes some sense to me - the old Republic had no army up until the point where it began to be corrupted into the Empire. I can see why they would want to avoid a repeat of that. They did try to make another set of Jedi peacekeepers but that didn't exactly work out.

The implication being that they wanted to go right back to how things were before. As did Luke, it would seem.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I was snoked when he died

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ford was sleepwalking through TFA, just as he was through Return of the Jedi, but he almost chokes on "Snoke" during that bridge scene, like he can barely get it out because it's so silly. Carrie Fisher barely covers up her contempt when she mumbles "It was Snoke" through her dentures, too.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

Ford was sleepwalking through TFA

This is blatantly false. Dude was having a great time and put in some effort with TFA. If you want to see sleepwalking go watch Indy 4 again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah that was easily the best Ford performance in a recent blockbuster. He was totally into it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, Ford has been sleep walking through his performances since...I’m gonna say Hollywood Homicide. But this was the first time I’ve seen him try in decades. I think he was happy to finally be able to kill Han Solo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah that was easily the best Ford performance in a recent blockbuster. He was totally into it.

He was real good in bladerunner but that wasn’t a blockbuster. Hah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

He seemed to give a poo poo when be played Branch Rickey in '42'

• Locked thread