Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Baloogan posted:

lol you know whats great? not getting gassed by assad lamo haha

sir this is a mcdonalds drive thru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Did Iraq have a McDonald's before 2003? This is important.

i could swear i saw triumphant newspaper headlines about how the first <us fast food chain> opened post-invasion

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Prav posted:

i could swear i saw triumphant newspaper headlines about how the first <us fast food chain> opened post-invasion

there were a bunch on the various bases

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
lol Afrin fell to the Turks. kurds either bungled this or never intended to really put up a fight. ypg are loving idiots for letting this happen, shoulda taken the syrian government's deal a little while back.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

the great deceiver posted:

lol Afrin fell to the Turks. kurds either bungled this or never intended to really put up a fight. ypg are loving idiots for letting this happen, shoulda taken the syrian government's deal a little while back.

I don't think that was real, my man, the syrian government has no interest in actually fighting the ottomans. They managed to get some friendly NDF militia to help but there's no way the government was going to do anything for them.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
turkey isn’t attacking SAA controlled territories. yet.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Afrin was under attack by a trillion Turk backed jihadis and they had no backup did you expected them to hold them like the loving Spartans or w/e

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Plutonis posted:

Afrin was under attack by a trillion Turk backed jihadis and they had no backup did you expected them to hold them like the loving Spartans or w/e

I think he was expecting Afrin city to be like another Al-Bab, Mosul, or Raqqa - but YPG doesn't fight like ISIS does. Those sieges took so long because ISIS buys time for itself by booby trapping every square meter of cityscape that they can.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Panzeh posted:

I don't think that was real, my man, the syrian government has no interest in actually fighting the ottomans. They managed to get some friendly NDF militia to help but there's no way the government was going to do anything for them.

maybe, maybe not. i dont think the government had much interest in the turks invading and occupying their sovereign territory tho

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Plutonis posted:

I feel like some people kinda were just cuz they're used to mocking Turkish incompetence, I mean look at that earlier tweet mocking how little the Turkish advance looks like when you zoom the gently caress out...but it was like, let's be real here, you can mock shithead Erdogan all you want...but it wasn't looking good :/ the kurds could only hold on for so long

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The real decisive factor for the Turks is that they don't care who dies in these operations, because their fighters aren't even Turks to begin with - and anytime a Turkish officer gets domed or a tank crew gets fried then they're fascist martyrs who all get big gently caress off state funerals for propaganda.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hear ghouta is almost free

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

paul_soccer10 posted:

I hear ghouta is almost free

Which is why we need to celebrate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNjl18QesGM&t=30s

I wonder if Turkeys threats about Alleppo are true if Assad might ally with YPG.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Yeah dude, these guys fighting Leopard tanks and F-16s with AK-47s and RPG-7s definitely bungled the OP.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Thug Lessons posted:

Yeah dude, these guys fighting Leopard tanks and F-16s with AK-47s and RPG-7s definitely bungled the OP.

of course they were outmatched, they knew that. i think the "defense" of afrin was a propaganda effort that actually resulted in the ypg looking way less competent. if they had actually been serious about defending afrin from the turks they would have negotiated with the SAA.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

of course they were outmatched, they knew that. i think the "defense" of afrin was a propaganda effort that actually resulted in the ypg looking way less competent. if they had actually been serious about defending afrin from the turks they would have negotiated with the SAA.

lol this is the most retarded take

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The best strategy for warding off a nation seeking to annex your lands and genocide your peoples is to ally yourself with the other nation that wants to annex your lands and genocide your peoples.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They held up the second biggest army in NATO and its auxiliaries for a couple of months, and are already promising guerrilla warfare.

420 Gank Mid posted:

The best strategy for warding off a nation seeking to annex your lands and genocide your peoples is to ally yourself with the other nation that wants to annex your lands and genocide your peoples.

What do you think the Assad brigades are there for?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They held up the second biggest army in NATO and its auxiliaries for a couple of months, and are already promising guerrilla warfare.

What do you think the Assad brigades are there for?

Would have been interesting if Assad and Hizbellah had had their best troops fighting with YPG there.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crowsbeak posted:

Would have been interesting if Assad and Hizbellah had had their best troops fighting with YPG there.

It would have been a clusterfuck. The FSA is already promising that they're gonna take "every village occupied by PKK" and won't stop at Afrin, which means they're going to have to take Minnigh Airbase and Tal Rifaat.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Give Rojava a nuke imo

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/AlSuraEnglish/status/978021504465055744

lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

that video footage is incredible.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

that video footage is incredible.

`?

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://twitter.com/AlSuraEnglish/status/978019526074810369

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
woah

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

It looked to me like they did negotiate with the SAA and the price was deemed unacceptable.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lol cool

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jose posted:

lol cool

:chaostrump:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

what a patriot :patriot:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hahaha drat wow

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wonder why south korea doesn't want to buy any of those awesome defense systems!!!!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They've talked about why patriots don't work as ballistic missile interceptors before on War Nerd. Ballistic missiles based on Soviet SCUD designs are really massive rockets with a lot of weight behind them, and patriots are small interceptor missiles designed to take down jets which have thinner skins and sensitive avionics. They don't even have enough mass to kinetically knock out SCUDs if you rammed them directly, but because they made Israelis feel better during the Gulf War the image of the patriot is that it's a ballistic missile interceptor.

None of them have failed quite like this though.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
where can i listen to war nerd?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this guy was on democracy now a few years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPZeXJPJmUA
MIT guy

edit: two part interview https://www.democracynow.org/2014/7/31/iron_dome_or_iron_sieve_evidence

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

https://www.patreon.com/radiowarnerd/posts

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkman Fanpage posted:

lollontee linked the patreon page. They don't make many episodes free anymore but there's still a big backlog. The Sci-Fi & Fascism episode is still the best imo and they made it free half a year ago.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
if you're a podcaster you got three basic economic classes to settle into: either you got a huge audience base and make all the episodes free, or you try to hook people by amusing/annoying them enough with premium episodes like chapo does. Academics like historians and politics nerds (ie gary brecher or derek davidson), you got a tiny audience base with no real prospects for growth outside the tiny set of people weird enouguh to care, there's really very little incentive to upload more than occasional previews. So you either put it behind a paywall, or you make sponsored content like Mike Duncan of History of Rome and Revolutions podcast fame.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
So Turkey is bombing northern Iraq again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/978955670929268741

Looks like the Syrian government is willing to draw the line at the borders of Afrin province.

Frijolero posted:

So Turkey is bombing northern Iraq again

https://twitter.com/TRTWorldNow/status/979042060798955520

They're practically threatening to invade Iraqi Kurdistan.