Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

lobster22221 posted:

Is there any class combination that could actually make a decent challenge run? Maybe whitemage/timemage on all characters or something?

The game added a level 1 mode for a reason (it's because leveling up anything beats the game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Also, just relax. You can bullhead your way into some high-level content while still low, and if you enjoy that it's fine, but don't feel you have to go for it as soon as you can. Don't assume anything you can see is something you can kill, don't repeatedly hunt chests for that 20% chance of it being an elixir (the important stuff is mostly 100% drops, the OP stuff is in very specific places), and don't put your life on pause for 2 hours while you wait for it to rain in Giza again to turn in some quest. Some characters have stats better suited to some roles, but not so much that you'll notice unless you're an obligate minmaxer.

The only thing you "have" to do is follow the plot. There's no need for espers if you don't like hunting them down and the top-level side dungeons are things you either run through avoiding fights or are strong enough to three-shot the final boss. Hunts often send you into those high-level areas, and while they're fun and can give nice rewards, if you don't like em don't do em. It can be easy to get bogged down in all the side fluff of this game and burn out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Golden Goat posted:

Here's the rundown on magic/techs can be found in chests only and where.

Techs
Shades of Black: Tomb of Raithwall - Cloister of Flame
Numerology: Lhusu Mines - Transitway 1
Infuse: Ogir-Yensa Sandsea - Platform 1 - East Tanks
Sight Unseeing: The Zertinan Caverns - Canopy of Clay - It's a passage that links Nam-Yensa to the Ogir Yensa.
Expose: Lhusu Mines - Site 9
Achilles: Garamscythe Waterway (Revisit) - No. 4 Cloaca Spur - Southeast segment and you need to have the water drained for it.
Bonecrusher: Henne Mines - Phase 1 Dig
Shear: Barheim Passage - The Zeviah Span
Stamp: Mosphoran Highwaste - Trail of Sky-Flung Stone & Rays of Ashen Light - Head to the far eastern side and find a weathered rock that should open up a path to the Rays area that holds the chest.
Charm: The Salikawood - Quietened Trace
Telekinesis: Cerobi Steppe - Old Elanise Road
Gil Toss: Draklor Laboratory - Room 7002 East (Floor 70)
1000 Needles: Sochen Cave Palace - Falls of Time
Revive: Paramina Rift - Spine of the Iceworm
Addle: Henne Mines - Special Charter Shaft - It's got a 10% chance for the chest to spawn. South side of the shaft and it's in the second passageway from the east side of the map. The passage isn't marked on the map.
Wither: Pharos Subterra - Abyssal - 10% chance to spawn hidden room on the north spot on the map.

Wither and Addle are good but don't go outta your way for em.

White Magic
Dispel: Tomb of Raitnwall - Royal Passage
Regen: Giza Plains (Rain) - Nomad Village
Renew: Henne Mines - Special Charter Shaft
Cleanse: Cerobi Steppe - The Terraced Bank - 20% chance to spawn chest. In the center of the room.
Dispelga: The Feywood - White Magick's Embrace
Protectga: Necrohol of Nabudis - Cloister of Distant Song
Bravery: Necrohol of Nabudis - Cloister of the Highborn
Faith: Necrohol of Nabudis - Hall of the Ivory Covenant
Shellga: Great Crystal - It is somewhere in there...
Holy: Pharos at Ridorana - Wellspring Ravel - 3rd Flight

Black Magic
Blind: Giza Plains (Dry) - Toam Hills
Poison: Dalmasca Estersands - Sand-swept Naze
Silence: Lhusu Mines - Shaft Entry
Sleep: Ogir-Yensa Sandsea - Platform 1 - East Tanks
Scathe: Lhusu Mines - Staging Area
Toxify: Barheim Passage — East-West Bypass
Blindga: Tchita Uplands — Fields of Eternity
Silencega: Nechrol of Nabudis - Cloister of the Highborn
Sleepga: Ancient City of Giruvegan — The Trimahla Water-Steps
Flare: Pharos at Ridorana — Spire Ravel - 1st Flight

Time Magic
Vanish: The Tomb of Raithwall — Royal Passage
Reflect: Ogir-Yensa Sandsea — Primary Tank Complex
Balance: Nam-Yensa Sandsea - Demesne of the Sandqueen
Haste: Eruyt Village - Fane of the Path
Countdown: Stilshrine of Miriam - Ward of Velitation
Reflectga: The Feywood — The Edge of Reason
Warp: Nabreus Deadlands — Lifeless Strand
Float: Tchita Uplands - Oliphzak Rise
Hastega: The Great Crystal - Somewhere

Green Magic
Clan Provisioner, nothing really found in chests

Arcane Magic
Death: Paramina Rift — Karydine Glacier
Ardor: Pharos at Ridorana — Spire Ravel - 2nd Flight

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

Is there any class combination that could actually make a decent challenge run? Maybe whitemage/timemage on all characters or something?

Machinist/Time Mage on everyone maybe? The healing isn't great and only a couple characters would be doing particularly good damage in the late-game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

new kind of cat posted:

About to start Zodiac Age for the first time. Any hot tips to keep in mind? I briefly played the original over a decade ago, but don’t remember much. The page over at beforeiplay doesn’t seem immediately helpful.

Play a good game instead

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Play a good game instead

But this is the Final Fantasy Megathread...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Final Fantasy 12 is a game I will marathon and if you ask me why I still play it, I wouldn't be able to tell you.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

seiferguy posted:

Final Fantasy 12 is a game I will marathon and if you ask me why I still play it, I wouldn't be able to tell you.

Because the autobattle makes it a game where you can kind of sit back and just go with things. JRPG comfort food.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I liked it well enough, but I ended up skipping all the optional stuff by the second half. I’m not sure I’m playing these games right tbh

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I liked it well enough, but I ended up skipping all the optional stuff by the second half. I’m not sure I’m playing these games right tbh

I'm basically the same way. I beat it, I had a good time, but I don't feel any need or desire to go back and do all the hunts or side stuff I missed. Game gave me a solid 35 hours

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Red Red Blue posted:

I'm basically the same way. I beat it, I had a good time, but I don't feel any need or desire to go back and do all the hunts or side stuff I missed. Game gave me a solid 35 hours

I looked up this yiazmat people are talking about and uhhhhhh hard pass

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Never do FF post-game stuff. I think 13 (and maybe 15, still don't know much about it) have the only semi-decent post-game stuff in the main series?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Alternatively, do all of it

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
The tactics series has some nice post game stuff. Deep dungeon is a bit meh, but the side quests are nice if you count them(I'd accept the argument that they are not post game). A good number of missions in the sequels are also post game too. I've heard brightmoon tor is hellish though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
13 has the only post game I was able to stomach because the hunts were awesome. But holy gently caress turtle grinding.

I think the real qualifier is your favorite FF post game is the one you play when you are dirt poor and you need 200 hours out of your $50.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ainsley McTree posted:

I looked up this yiazmat people are talking about and uhhhhhh hard pass

Yiazmat isn't hard with an optimal strategy. Just time consuming. Basically use addle / shear etc. to get his stats down to where he's not hurting a ton with each hit then go to town, making sure you stay in the middle of the arena. Then toggle 4x and basically wait.

I found the trial 100 judges to be a lot harder until i figured out the Zermomus trick.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

FFX's postgame is noteable for having extremely cheeseable solutions (King Tonberry AP trick, every boss being vulnerable to Zanmato) for those who want to do it without actually, you know, doing it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm trying to think of all the FF games I love and whether or not I like their postgame content, and I'm kind of split.

FFV: Eh. The GBA version had some stuff but it kinda just felt like a little too late, I'd rather just play the hack that gives me the extra jobs right up front.

FFVII: I don't know if I'd call a lot of the stuff postgame instead of just endgame, but I do like the Weapon fights.

FFVIII: I like the undersea research facility more than I probably should tbh, but again I kinda wish there was more stuff.

FFX: I think I'm broken because I love the poo poo out of the monster arena, it's weirdly relaxing just going around and catching monsters and stuff, aside from the annoying rare spawns when I'm going for 10 of everything. Same goes for the insane grind for Dark Aeons and stuff, it's just kind of enjoyable to zone out, watch a movie, and punch superbosses in the teeth for spheres.

Lightning Returns: I honestly cannot remember if there's anything really postgame-y in this. Maybe that monster extinction dungeon?

FFXV: Some of the content is eh but Pitioss is amazing holy poo poo.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

By far FF12's best fight is the Five Judges though, and that's at the very end of the post-game stuff.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Mega64 posted:

Never do FF post-game stuff. I think 13 (and maybe 15, still don't know much about it) have the only semi-decent post-game stuff in the main series?

Eh, 4DS's bosses were alright if one of them gimmicky.

Also didnt FF11 have that one boss that Made Yizmat's stupid gimmick seem like childs play?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFXIII's postgame was really fun.

My favorite FF is IX, though, which is basically like "what postgame?" I guess Ozma's there but that's about it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I liked XIII-2's Colosseum DLC. Does that count as postagme content?

Also all its multiple endings and the bosses you need to defeat to unlock them count as postgame content I guess. So Time Cop Snow is postgame content.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I think most of the FF postgame/bonus content kinda falls flat, because they don't deliver on what the appeal of the game is in the first place, but some of them do. What I feel is that a each FF game has a certain amount of mechanical or story focus, and the problem with the bonus content is that it doesn't always serve it in the same way as the surrounding game. So, my takes based on the ones I've crossed paths with (if not done):

FFI: Good. FFI barely has story, so it is entirely mechanical appeal. The Soul of Chaos dungeons, as such, are basically only of mechanical interest, even if they have some cute references in them. And they do well, they give some optional challenge to a remake that made the compulsory parts largely easier (if only by fixing poo poo for the most part).
FFII: Best. We're all in agreement that this is the best postgame of the series, right? It adds story, it throws some extra curveballs into how you play the game while not leaving you completely clueless. I feel like it's the only postgame/bonus content that people consider unquestionably canon, which says a lot.
FFV: Good, I guess? I haven't done much of this, but I can't fault the direction of giving a game that's largely dungeon-crawling and experimenting with job combinations against enemies another dungeon, more jobs, and more enemies to experiment against.
FFVII/FFX: Bad. Tackling both of these simultaneously because to me, they have the same problem: they're mechanically extremely demanding compared to a very story-focused rest of the game. Sure, you can make characters ridiculously overpowered in these games, but it usually puts you quite out of the way to do it, isn't really fun, and isn't called for by the entire rest of the game, which is more asking for a modest amount of know-what-you're-doing. Plus, they don't really provide any new pieces to the story that's the actual appeal to people. Of these two, though, FFX is worse because its bonus content is more obtrusive if you're actually trying to clean up the world and get everything worth having.
FFXII: Good, mostly. FFXII is undeniably a story-focused FF game, but I feel like the balance between story/mechanical appeal is more balanced than with VII and X. While XII has some real lovely bonus content, when I think about that game's bonus content I don't think of Yiazmat; I think of the likes of Gilgamesh and the Espers, which give the world some fun color. There's also other good content I didn't get to do, like the Five Judges apparently. The Espers get special emphasis in my book, though, because they're a great shout-out to the other Ivalice games, befitting of the fact XII is the only mainline FF that's in a pre-existing world.
Lightning Returns: Good. I'm only including this because someone else called it bonus/postgame content, I personally don't. But the extinction dungeon is rad, just an awesome way of showing how far you've come while also making sure you get to experience some cool boss fights you probably didn't have a chance to try.

And, for adjacency-to-FF comparisons...
Kingdom Hearts 1: Bad. Same problem as VII and X; too much of a challenge jump for a game that isn't that demanding otherwise, while providing no story additions for a game that's largely focused on that. I believe the rest of the series generally has similar problems with its bonus bosses, but I don't really know/remember.
Bravely Default: Really good. Bravely Default is basically FFV-2, so of course it's also about doing dungeons, and making neat mechanical combos to unleash against different bosses. Default knowingly has an insanely high skill ceiling, though, which isn't often catered to by the game's main story. And that's what its bonus content does so well: you've got a series of gimmick fights against combos of the job-bearers, to give you really interesting challenges to overcome as well as potentially showing you combos that you haven't considered. And you've also got areally hard dungeon to match the combos you've probably figured out, capped by a bonus boss that is actually welcome because it's a test against what you've actually been practicing. There's also the Norende bosses, which are mostly gimmicks; they're fine, I guess.
Bravely Second: Lacking. Bravely Second not really having any bonus challenges like Default really showed me how much a game like that needs them. All Second has are the moon bosses and the reprise of the bonus bosses from Four Guardians of Light; while I can't fault the Ba'als for having a neat concept and aesthetic, only having gimmick fights to put our skills against feels a bit weak, especially since a lot of those bosses we've already fought in Default.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 24, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Bravely Default: Really good. Bravely Default is basically FFV-2, so of course it's also about doing dungeons, and making neat mechanical combos to unleash against different bosses. Default knowingly has an insanely high skill ceiling, though, which isn't often catered to by the game's main story. And that's what its bonus content does so well: you've got a series of gimmick fights against combos of the job-bearers, to give you really interesting challenges to overcome as well as potentially showing you combos that you haven't considered. And you've also got areally hard dungeon to match the combos you've probably figured out, capped by a bonus boss that is actually welcome because it's a test against what you've actually been practicing. There's also the Norende bosses, which are mostly gimmicks; they're fine, I guess.

Yeah, I really enjoyed digging in to Bravely Default's postgame. Before that game came out, the thing I hoped for most was that it would make me actually have to care about using good job combinations, rather than just having all of that complexity go to waste on a game you can easily mash Attack through. I was very, very happy with how the game turned out, then. I played on Hard and had a great time, especially once I could start fighting the bonus bosses and try all sorts of fun ways to make BP battery characters or totally nullify attacks.

Getting the whole party to use the Blood Sword's active effect to make every attack drain HP is the best way to heal :black101: Also, Vampire is one of the most useful Blue Mage jobs ever. Loved that job so much.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Type 0 for $10 used, worth it?
Opera Omnia has me playing Rem and wanting to meet all her godforsaken classmates.

Edit: vvv thanks! vvv

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 24, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Space Fish posted:

Type 0 for $10 used, worth it?
Opera Omnia has me playing Rem and wanting to meet all her godforsaken classmates.

if you go into it knowing it's a PSP game, sure.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You have to understand that it's a JRPG psp game. You need to get that. A lot of the slice of life elements in it will make sense in that context, I think. As well as why Machina is such a douche and an all around terrible character.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The judges in 12 are a great ultimate boss because they aren't just mere HP sponges but actually hard and use elixirs to heal each other, so you gotta use strategy to beat them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I love how it's blatantly obvious people kept complaining about how annoying running around Rabanastre was in late playtesting until they finally went FINE HERE'S A TELEPORT IT MAKES NO SENSE JUST HAVE IT

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cleretic posted:

FFV: Good, I guess? I haven't done much of this, but I can't fault the direction of giving a game that's largely dungeon-crawling and experimenting with job combinations against enemies another dungeon, more jobs, and more enemies to experiment against..

I'll add that FFV also contains one of my biggest problems with post-game content: Giving you something only after beating all the post-game content. They give you Mime pretty quick, and Gladiator/Canoneer with only the final boss rush/End boss left. But Necromancer is only unlocked after beating the post game final boss. So at this point you've beaten super versions of the original optional bosses, the final boss, and now the final post game boss. There's nothing to use this new class on now that you've defeated all of the interesting enemies already.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
uhh do you seriously have to grind the same one or two lovely low level hunts to get anywhere in Comrades?

This is like if they took all the actual good parts of FFXV out and then made it into a massive chore. Does it get any better? Like is this trying to be some sort of incredibly lovely MMO or what

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nasgate posted:

I'll add that FFV also contains one of my biggest problems with post-game content: Giving you something only after beating all the post-game content. They give you Mime pretty quick, and Gladiator/Canoneer with only the final boss rush/End boss left. But Necromancer is only unlocked after beating the post game final boss. So at this point you've beaten super versions of the original optional bosses, the final boss, and now the final post game boss. There's nothing to use this new class on now that you've defeated all of the interesting enemies already.

Its even more insulting than that; the class requires you to get the finishing blow on enemies to unlock its abilities so to get the full value of your class that you get for doing all the content in the game you have to grind content you've already done.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

uhh do you seriously have to grind the same one or two lovely low level hunts to get anywhere in Comrades?

This is like if they took all the actual good parts of FFXV out and then made it into a massive chore. Does it get any better? Like is this trying to be some sort of incredibly lovely MMO or what

For a while, yeah. Then you get to grind on the same one or two slightly higher level hunts. Pretty soon you can start punching well above your level, and in Old Lestallum you can start trading gil for meteor bits, which speeds things up. I'm still working my way over to Galdin, but the shape of the game hasn't changed much so far and I doubt it will after I get there.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

mauman posted:

I wonder if those weird purple chocobos are a reference to 8-bit theater.

I mean, probably not but it does remind me of the the chocobo-breeding arc from that comic.

Damnit now I need to go re-read that. I bet it either aged badly or it was never good and I should keep my rosy glasses on :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
your gp or your hp was the only good joke in the entirety of 8bt's run

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Damnit now I need to go re-read that. I bet it either aged badly or it was never good and I should keep my rosy glasses on :(

It was a good starting idea that lost a lot of it's charm as it slid more and more into 'the protagonists are worse monsters then any of the villains' territory. A lot of the back half of the comic consists mostly of dead baby comedy and repeatedly pointing out how awful/dumb any given named character is and if that sounds like it'd get run into the goddamn ground by a comic that went on for well over a thousand strips, it does. That said, the best joke in the comic DOES come pretty late into the run, but just look up the strips that go into what powers the Hadoken and walk away.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
FF15 PROBLEMS

OH MY GOD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP, I'm getting a bug right before the final battle where it teleports me into a bugged save point with no escape.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Just give it a decade or so and it’ll resolve itself

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

your gp or your hp was the only good joke in the entirety of 8bt's run

hey now, i liked it when the black mage stabbed people, especially the 200th time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
wait i did actually like the meta-joke of everyone's name being their class but like, that's not really a lol-worthy joke