Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If you don't like something you don't like it. I just saw a bunch of people around and about being very pleased to criticise it at first. I thought it was good from the start personally but I can see it being called a slow burn. By the nature of the plot its a story that becomes more and more emotional as it goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Well Netflix's release schedule of Violet Evergarden in the United States can be criticized, so that's something.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The way Netflix handles anime is really bad. I actually completely lost the hype I had for Children of the Whales because it took them so long to release it, and in that time I heard fairly middling opinions on it and got invested into other anime that I'd now rather watch.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

Well Netflix's release schedule of Violet Evergarden in the United States can be criticized, so that's something.

I feel like Evergarden is even less binge-friendly than most anime, too. I can sort of see binge-ing LWA and I can definitely see doing Devilman that way, but Violet's so episodic and melancholy that I can't imagine just sitting down and watching it for hours and hours at a time.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nephthys posted:

I think there was some weird edgy blowback to it initially when people wanted to say it was bland and overhyped. But then it actually lived up to the hype.

Some of Violet's subtitles were god awful on Netflix, and the first three episodes are pretty bad compared to the later stuff.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I don't get Netflix releasing schedule at all. I watched all of Devilman immediately, there's like four episodes of the new Deadly Sins up, and as far as I can tell nothing for Violet? I think that manages to be every possible form of release, other than sane normal mode?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'Binge watching' is Netflix's thing so they don't put shows up unless they can do the whole thing at once. Apart from with the shows they don't. Like VE everywhere except the US.
:shrug:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I watched the first episode of Evergarden and then never picked up the second because the first was just fairly nothing. I'll probably check the rest out now that I know it gets good.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

kater posted:

I don't get Netflix releasing schedule at all. I watched all of Devilman immediately, there's like four episodes of the new Deadly Sins up, and as far as I can tell nothing for Violet? I think that manages to be every possible form of release, other than sane normal mode?

The new season of Seven Deadly Sins ins't on Netflix yet, just season 1 and the 4 ova episodes that takes place between seasons.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

'Binge watching' is Netflix's thing so they don't put shows up unless they can do the whole thing at once. Apart from with the shows they don't. Like VE everywhere except the US.
:shrug:
Kakegurui also did simulcast in Netflix Japan. At this point, they're just being inconsistent tossers about it.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
How To Keep A Mummy is super cute, oh my gosh.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eela6 posted:

Wark, have you seen How to Keep A Mummy? I think you would like it.
|
I really should watch YuruCamp too...
Forgot to reply to this, YES! It's cute as gently caress! :kimchi:

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Knorth posted:

Also! Hakumei & Mikochi

This was my surprise AOTY, nothing else felt nearly as well developed or enjoyable and it's a shame it got so little exposure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
B: The Beginning is so gooood when it sticks with just Keith and the RIS investigating stuff. Just got through episode 9 :munch:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Liver Disaster posted:

This was my surprise AOTY, nothing else felt nearly as well developed or enjoyable and it's a shame it got so little exposure.

I think in any other season it would have been more popular, but it didn't really have a chance going up against Yurucamp.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm pleasantly stunned at how well Yurucamp seemed to do in terms of buzz. I'm used to seeing stuff like it and Amanchu and Konohana Kitan hum pleasantly under the radar, but I saw a ton of people who don't normally talk much about anime in general give Yurucamp at least a mention, to say nothing of how well it seemed to do among regular watchers.

I'm glad. More Iyashikei shows deserve to be hits, and Yurucamp is a worthy standard bearer.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
with yuri camp a hit now they need to adapt some of afro's other manga, particularly puella magi homura tamura

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

C.M. Kruger posted:

I think in any other season it would have been more popular, but it didn't really have a chance going up against Yurucamp.

It probably didn't help that the first episode covered one of the chapters I'd consider among the weaker of the manga. Everything after that is terrific but first impressions can be rough when there's a lot of other options this season

That said, if they didn't fall in love after the marketplace segment then there's no helping them :colbert:

Knorth fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 24, 2018

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Homura and Sickle posted:

with yuri camp a hit now they need to adapt some of afro's other manga, particularly puella magi homura tamura

i feel like there may be some sort of personal bias going on here

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, first episodes can be deceiving. Violet Evergarden got hit by a lackluster first couple of episodes (not visually speaking, of course; KyoAni basically wanted me to ask Violet out and get rejected just based on how pretty she looked). It was the same story for Psycho Pass' first season: The first two episodes were kinda turdy, but the third one turned things around.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I tried out the new netflix sword gai anim, and I’m not enjoying it at all. There’s zero heart, no levity, all meaningless brooding. B was very broody, but even those characters were a blast and you could get into their heads. AICO has some heart, and was also had some intellectual heft to it.

Also the directing is awful, they keep doing a thing where the scene fades to black and goes to a completely unrelated scene with no alignment with the themes of the previous. I dunno, the director is highly experienced, he last worked on show by rock.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I finished B: The Beginning, and I frankly loved the hell out of it by the end. The murder/mystery elements are all solid and it just has a largely-vestigial shonen superhero story hanging off the side of it. I also quite liked the general aesthetic of European architecture blended with 1950's-70's cars on top of modern technology like smartphones.

I also loved that it had the most pragmatic final showdown ever, courtesy of Minatsuki bringing a gun to a swordfight. And just unloading several clips on Koku just to make drat sure he was dead.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 24, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
So how did Citrus turn out? Not too spoilery please.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

Trashy Yuri Pandering.

I couldn't help myself; it's like watching a Telenovela 2.0. It's my guiltiest pleasure. :negative:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Did anyone stick with Beatless?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Fangz posted:

It ended exactly where I guessed it would: they confess, kiss, and agree to start dating (after the third time another girl tries to steal one of them from the other :v:.) It's a bit less than halfway through the manga, which is ongoing but seems close to ending.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I thought Citrus was okay. Not amazing but certainly not bad, and certainly not the trashfire that NTR was. The drama gets pretty overwrought and silly and the last arc is a little limp, but Yuzu's easy to root for (and the show itself ultimately feels to me like it's rooting for her when all's said and done) and the production is pretty solid and entertaining.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Citrus felt like a more light hearted version of that show from last year about the kids ruining each other's lives out of boredom and spite. The cast is quite fun and it is somewhat pretty but it completely loses focus and feels stretched hard to make a season. I didn't not like the show but I ain't gonna say it is worth watching. The first few eps were so good and I wish it had stayed more main character vs school.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It goes back to that next arc, or the one after, I forget.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kater posted:

Citrus felt like a more light hearted version of that show from last year about the kids ruining each other's lives out of boredom and spite. The cast is quite fun and it is somewhat pretty but it completely loses focus and feels stretched hard to make a season. I didn't not like the show but I ain't gonna say it is worth watching. The first few eps were so good and I wish it had stayed more main character vs school.
Scum's Wish or Netsuzou TRap?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ill be sad to see the end of Takunomi

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

nielsm posted:

Did anyone stick with Beatless?

Yes, when it wasn't doing recap episodes (it's already had two).

I wouldn't really call it particularly good, and the tone can feel strange sometimes, but it actually does touch on some relevant hard-sci-fi questions about AIs powerful enough to engage in social engineering of their creators and the displacement of decision-making responsibilities onto machine intelligences.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm so glad the animes I'd been really looking forward to since their announcement turned out even better than I'd hoped, what a great season

https://files.catbox.moe/w27tea.webm
:kimchi:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i should really watch it but experiencing laidback camp solely through gifs and webms has been very enriching, i love it. i still laugh when i see that gif of the girl getting headbutted by the dog

also having only seen two episodes of both, ill say citrus is the riverdale of anime

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Yes, when it wasn't doing recap episodes (it's already had two).

I wouldn't really call it particularly good, and the tone can feel strange sometimes, but it actually does touch on some relevant hard-sci-fi questions about AIs powerful enough to engage in social engineering of their creators and the displacement of decision-making responsibilities onto machine intelligences.

I did feel the premise could lead to some interesting and relevant questions, but also that the direction was really lacking. Maybe I would have watched it in a season that didn't have Antarctica, Franxx, New CCS, March Lion, Slow Start, and more.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

beatless is a show that keeps bringing up interesting problems, and then handling them in the absolutely dumbest possible way possible. its kinda entertaining just watching them mess up everything so i keep watching

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Currently waiting for Garo to finish before catching up, but Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens, Dagashi Kashi 2 and How to Keep a Mummy have all been going strong.

Although, I was actually a bit surprised by Mummy recently. Really been ratcheting up that tension - relatively speaking at least.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
"I'm not gay! I'm not gay!" the crossdressing assassin yells as his assassin ex boyfriend shows up to steal him from his current assassin boyfriend.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Sindai posted:

"I'm not gay! I'm not gay!" the crossdressing assassin yells as his assassin ex boyfriend shows up to steal him from his current assassin boyfriend.

What show is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eela6 posted:

What show is this?
Haruka Tonkotsu Ramens

• Locked thread