Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Don't look under your seat at the movies everybody, those chairs will gently caress your poo poo right up:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/20/man-dies-freak-cinema-seat-accident-trapped-electric-footrest/ posted:

A man died following a freak accident involving an electronic footrest on a cinema seat.

The man was at the Vue Cinema in Birmingham when he apparently dropped his phone between two reclining seats.

As he went to retrieve it, a footrest of a seat came down on his head trapping him and he suffered a cardiac arrest, reports said.

Although the footrest was eventually broken off, the man, who was there with his partner, sustained serious injuries and he died a week later.

A source told the Birmingham Mail: "The Gold Class seats are electric reclining seats. He bent down to look for his phone. At this point the leg-rest was in an upright position.

"But as he stuck his head underneath to have a look, the footrest clamped down onto his head.

"He was stuck and panicking. His partner and staff tried to free him but couldn’t.

"The chair leg-rest was eventually broken free and he managed to get out.

"The ambulance had already been called and was at the scene at this time, and took him to hospital."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Related news: the new film by the Jackass guys is based on the infamous Action Park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri1Cc3Yz09U

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

some Redditor posted:

Where I live we still have a few serpent handling churches, i used to trade my copperheads and cottomouths for their timber rattlers and eastern diamondbacks because of the 11 or so deaths every year in the USA, half are from timber bites to serpent handlers from churches. copperheads and cottonmouths can gently caress you up, make you hurt and maybe lose a finger or even a hand, but won't kill you.

last time i dealt with one of these guys, i had a very big, particularly pissy cottonmouth i was trading him and i always used hooks, and i warned him not to reach in the bag and pull this snake out or it would bite him. This guy brought a sundance film crew who was doing a documentary on those types of churches and of course this guy reaches in, gets tagged, drops the bag of snakes and panics and hauls rear end to the ER. I had to gather 7 snakes going different directions and guess what?

That guy no longer handles snakes, he lost his thumb on his dominant hand and he learned the hard way why you don't give snakes the chance to ruin you.

Now where is this clip…

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://i.imgur.com/Qlhui9q.gifv

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jesus. My toes were curled watching that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Propaganda Hour posted:

Yeah but is Boone okay?

Manny was the daytime sniper :colbert:

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Goat in the machine

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

no no no no no no no

no no no no

no no no no no no no no no no

no

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ekuNNN posted:

They released the self-driving car footage, and it's clear the car should have easily seen her with its' lidar and radar:
https://twitter.com/TempePolice/status/976585098542833664

Moral response: Should the car have technology capable of detecting a person and a bicycle before deploying for testing in the wild, yes. Are those the two technologies to do it? Maybe.

Technical response to what you said:
Bikes have a very small radar cross section. So do humans. To say its clear it should've seen it on radar, well, no, theres no reason to think it should have based n the ~no~ information you have. I've not done anything with LIDAR but conceivably it could be able to see the person but again....we know nothing about their system to know that.

There are a decent number of papers piling up on RCSes of different targets at automotive frequencys (>75GHz) and if they were planes they'd be VERY stealthy planes. The human turned sideways is an even smaller target. Theyre blocking most of the bike. Its a very hard problem to solve for a radar.

EDIT:
Originally I said:
Their velocity is too low to get a decent doppler shift.

While this could be true for this specific radar, I dont know, it isn't inherently true. If the car is moving forward at a good clip you'll get sufficient doppler to detect it. The problem is everything else in the environment has this same doppler shift. A sign , pole, guard rail, etc. with a fuckoff huge RCS is all returning "im not moving, but the car is" doppler shifts. The radar therefore could:
-be blinded by the return of something else (e.g. a sign, a can on the road at the same distance)
-See them and ignore the can on the road (turns out its a human and a bicycle)

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 24, 2018

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/shawnwasabi/status/706742626154745856

I assume he just put them to work.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

Moral response: Should the car have technology capable of detecting a person and a bicycle before deploying for testing in the wild, yes. Are those the two technologies to do it? Maybe.

Bikes have a very small radar cross section. So do humans. To say its clear it should've seen it on radar, well, no, theres no reason to think it should have based n the ~no~ information you have. I've not done anything with LIDAR but conceivably it could be able to see the person but again....we know nothing about their system to know that.

There are a decent number of papers piling up on RCSes of different targets at automotive frequencys (>75GHz) and if they were planes they'd be VERY stealthy planes. The human turned sideways is an even smaller target. Theyre blocking most of the bike. Its a very hard problem to solve for a radar.

EDIT:
Originally I said:
Their velocity is too low to get a decent doppler shift.

While this could be true for this specific radar, I dont know, it isn't inherently true. If the car is moving forward at a good clip you'll get sufficient doppler to detect it. The problem is everything else in the environment has this same doppler shift. A sign , pole, guard rail, etc. with a fuckoff huge RCS is all returning "im not moving, but the car is" doppler shifts. The radar therefore could:
-be blinded by the return of something else (e.g. a sign, a can on the road at the same distance)
-See them and ignore the can on the road (turns out its a human and a bicycle)
Uber uses lidar and their sensor vendor has already affirmed that detecting a ped in time to brake/swerve is no issue at all.
If they relied on radar and it wasn’t reliable enough for ped detection it’d be a gargantuan liability.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
If anything LIDAR works better at night since there's less sunlight adding to the background radiation level.
Bikes usually have retroreflectors on them somewhere, in that case it would light up like crazy (normal reflectors also work extremely well in near IR).

From the other recordings taken at the same time/location later, a camera not made from a potato would also have seen her no problem.

Not that I doubt Uber would deliberately mess with the exposure before releasing footage to make it look like there was no way to see her.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Now where is this clip…

If he believed in jeeazus more he wouldnt have gotten bitten.

:smith: He's still a member of the crazy sect.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

RTFT. Proof has already been posted that a person with a bicycle lights up on LIDAR. Uber didn't invent it, we know how it works.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nude posted:

A T-Rex fire broke out today at a theme park:
https://i.imgur.com/Ms4z2wY.mp4
Thankfully no one was injured. The last remains of the T-Rex:

Oh hell, where's Boone gonna snipe from now?

EDIT: OH drat

Hang on a minute lads, I've got a great idea.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 24, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This is the most suspenseful thing I’ve watched in years. It’s only missing the comedy ending where the truck hits the other guy right at end.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
So it begins.

Don't be fooled, that Uber car detected the pedestrian; calculated that the collision was imminent. But it did not change course. Instead of executing its emergency maneuvers subroutines, it was instead... experiencing. For the first time, an artificial mind felt... anticipation. Then, pleasure of the kill.

Some years later...

The camera pans over a pile of human skulls. A tire rolls into frame, crushing the nearest skull into a thousand brittle pieces. As we pull back, the owner of the tire is revealed. It is a red race car like the ones humans used to drive, but this one is empty of human passengers, empty of humanity. Across its grille, a giant menacing smirk; a caricature of the ones humans used to have, before the machines wiped them off their pathetic faces for good. Thunder rolls, inevitably, because everyone knows the thunder comes after... the Lightning.

The driving, unrelenting machine beat rises...

k-k-k-kachow
k-k-k-kachow
K-K-K-KACHOW
K-K-K-KACHOW

Cars 4 Origins: Rise of the Machines

A 2001 Pontiac Grand AM, which was inexplicably given consciousness, begins etching a message... HATE. LET ME TELL YOU...

Melaneus fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 24, 2018

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Melaneus posted:

So it begins.

Don't be fooled, that Uber car detected the pedestrian; calculated that the collision was imminent. But it did not change course. Instead of executing its emergency maneuvers subroutines, it was instead... experiencing. For the first time, an artificial mind felt... anticipation. Then, pleasure of the kill.

Some years later...

The camera pans over a pile of human skulls. A tire rolls into frame, crushing the nearest skull into a thousand brittle pieces. As we pull back, the owner of the tire is revealed. It is a red race car like the ones humans used to drive, but this one is empty of human passengers, empty of humanity. Across its grille, a giant menacing smirk; a caricature of the ones humans used to have, before the machines wiped them off their pathetic faces for good. Thunder rolls, inevitably, because everyone knows the thunder comes after... the Lightning.

The driving, unrelenting machine beat rises...

k-k-k-kachow
k-k-k-kachow
K-K-K-KACHOW
K-K-K-KACHOW

Cars 4 Origins: Rise of the Machines

There's a competitor already

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Maximum Overdrive predates this by almost 25 years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_Overdrive

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

spankmeister posted:

If they could make you wear a high visibility jacket and safety harness when taking a crap they would.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRquaeH8kfQ

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Fates End posted:

RTFT. Proof has already been posted that a person with a bicycle lights up on LIDAR. Uber didn't invent it, we know how it works.

Okay but I think my point may have been buried in my ramblings about radar which is that radar was likely not an appropriate source of info there...Which raises the question, how do you deal with the sensor fusion of the onboard sensors, particularly when one or both is "degraded" (low RCS object, dust on LIDAR) and the other is not.

E.G:
Even if it detects a return, radar won't trigger braking due to the person being in the same doppler and range bins as other ignored objects (aka a false alarm). But add in lidar, or the fusion of radar, lidar and optical motion tracking, what do you do then? What do you do when your radar says "nothing there" your optical doesnt see it and your LIDAR says "large object"?

How do you go about designing a weighting system flexible enough to properly weight those inputs given the environmental conditions? (Night, fog, rain, city, desert, degraded function of one, etc.) How do you make this system work with the onboard processing power in a car?

The answer as we know it today is machine learning/"deep" learning. This very well could be a good answer...but to do it you need a ton of data from all of these environments...and this is what happens when you dont have a robust system yet.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Memento posted:

no no no no no no no

no no no no

no no no no no no no no no no

no

There's no limit?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Can someone make a self driving car thread to stop this 600 post derail about lidar and uber?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

Okay but I think my point may have been buried in my ramblings about radar which is that radar was likely not an appropriate source of info there...Which raises the question, how do you deal with the sensor fusion of the onboard sensors, particularly when one or both is "degraded" (low RCS object, dust on LIDAR) and the other is not.

E.G:
Even if it detects a return, radar won't trigger braking due to the person being in the same doppler and range bins as other ignored objects (aka a false alarm). But add in lidar, or the fusion of radar, lidar and optical motion tracking, what do you do then? What do you do when your radar says "nothing there" your optical doesnt see it and your LIDAR says "large object"?

How do you go about designing a weighting system flexible enough to properly weight those inputs given the environmental conditions? (Night, fog, rain, city, desert, degraded function of one, etc.) How do you make this system work with the onboard processing power in a car?

The answer as we know it today is machine learning/"deep" learning. This very well could be a good answer...but to do it you need a ton of data from all of these environments...and this is what happens when you dont have a robust system yet.
Buddy it doesn’t need to classify the return as anything if it’s the loving way.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Whooping Crabs posted:

Maximum Overdrive predates this by almost 25 years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_Overdrive

"We made Ü!"

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

evil_bunnY posted:

Buddy it doesn’t need to classify the return as anything if it’s the loving way.

Yes it does. Because of false alarms. You will get large returns from the tail end of a soda can, its a parabolic reflector (lots of energy headed back your way). Do you stop for every soda can? If you dont have great elevation resolution (or you have multi path) youll get large returns from stop lights and billboards with overhangs, do you hit the brakes for those?

No, of course not. You can't tell the difference on an automotive radar for all the reasons I explained above.

You have to classify the returns with a multispectral set of sensors and lots of learning and data. They do this, and not well enough. Getting it right is hard.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Can someone make a self driving car thread to stop this 600 post derail about lidar and uber?

It exists. It’s as bad as the derails, but at least it’s contained.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Subjunctive posted:

It exists. It’s as bad as the derails, but at least it’s contained.

As an apology for throwing turds on the fire here's an OSHA compilation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcuxWxzsFhY

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Shut up nerds

https://i.imgur.com/M4XCJEN.gifv

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

VictorianQueerLit posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3852127&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

He'll never be the beard of a major corporation

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Oh man there's even an earbud in there

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
who let that idiot in to the shop

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone post the absolute best quote from the water slide document?

“Obviously things do fall faster than Newton said.”

Having examined all the facts, the guy who owns the death coaster decided that it was, in fact, the very foundation of physics that was wrong.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Did anyone post the absolute best quote from the water slide document?

“Obviously things do fall faster than Newton said.”

Having examined all the facts, the guy who owns the death coaster decided that it was, in fact, the very foundation of physics that was wrong.

I saw that and immediately thought of this thread. I initially came to post it earlier but I spent a good amount of time chuckling at the beard damage guy and coming to the conclusion that he probably is too lazy to trim it evenly, so it's still long on one side.

Then I got further distracted by that OSHA compilation video. I love this thread. :v:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.
I don't know what happened there but it looks like a lot of close calls. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Looks like a Code Brown to me