Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Jmcrofts posted:

I think I accidentally overwatered one of my houseplants (small orange tree), and some of its new leaves have started to droop. Should I leave it in the sun or move it to the shade? Should I mess with it or just leave it alone? I've read conflicting advice online.

I'm not an expert but I've had a bunch of similarly sized lemons for the last year and that looks pretty healthy. Maybe it's a small stress, but I've seen leaves like that occasionally and they've always gone away quickly.

Sun-wise, only issue I've ever had is burn from putting them straight from a shady spot to outdoors without enough acclimation. If it's already acclimated to that spot, I'd say leave it alone.

Pruning, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

What do you guys think about grass alternatives for a yard in Albuquerque? 100+ degree days in the summer, freezes in the winter, little rain except for the monsoon season in late summer. I'm thinking maybe creeping thyme and yarrow? We're in zone 7a.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Nosre posted:

I'm not an expert but I've had a bunch of similarly sized lemons for the last year and that looks pretty healthy. Maybe it's a small stress, but I've seen leaves like that occasionally and they've always gone away quickly.

Sun-wise, only issue I've ever had is burn from putting them straight from a shady spot to outdoors without enough acclimation. If it's already acclimated to that spot, I'd say leave it alone.

Pruning, though!

Thanks for the reassurance. A few days ago the leaves were super perky so I was just kind of alarmed that they quickly started drooping.

It's acclimated to the spot, but we've had rashes of really cloudy and rainy days so maybe it just needed more sunlight.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I thought pothos too, but I'm not sure that it would like full sun?

Oh no you right; I didn't catch that. My suggestions are more for a "bright, indirect light" sort of situation.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Just leave it. More or less sun won’t do much to solve over watering. If anything, make sure it’s not sitting in pooling water. It’s hard to kill citrus with water, they’re pretty thirsty plants.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I've got a soft spot for small lemon trees because we grew them from seeds when I was a kid :3:

So last year I started a bunch. I know you really need dwarf varieties for pots, but whatever, it's fun and I can experiment with different pruning methods and whatnot. The granular stuff on the soil is the fungus gnat treatment

The two biggest ones (keep in mind every plant here was started at the same time)

That vertical shoot did that in, like, 7-10 days. I love how much they grow even in winter

Most of the rest, with a Dahlia hiding there in the middle left

I've pruned these low shoots (can they be called suckers if it's not a graft?) a number of times, but for some reason this scrawny one loves doing them. I think I'll just leave it like this and see how it develops

Thinking to leave most of them indoors this summer. As the growth shows, they don't seem to mind, and they did take a fair amount of insect damage last fall

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Pham Nuwen posted:

What do you guys think about grass alternatives for a yard in Albuquerque? 100+ degree days in the summer, freezes in the winter, little rain except for the monsoon season in late summer. I'm thinking maybe creeping thyme and yarrow? We're in zone 7a.

This is another option, but creeping thyme and yarrow sound good.

https://www.westcoastseeds.com/shop/garden-supplies/lawn-solutions/micro-clover-seed-raw/
https://www.westcoastseeds.com/shop/garden-supplies/lawn-solutions/easy-care-groundcover-5/

You could also search for "alternative lawn" or something similar at some local seed suppliers.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did you know dahlias are britain’s second most popular plant after roses? Because they can’t take the cold everyone has to dig them up just before the first frost, dry them out and then put them back out after the last frost.

It’s bit odd when you sit back and think about it.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

If you're talking about my little potted one there, it's been weird. We got it late last summer, it stayed outside through fall, then came inside and has stayed inside since. In the process, though, all the leaves have dropped and regrown three separate times, like it has particularly sensitivity to being inside and/or environment changes.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Nosre posted:

I've got a soft spot for small lemon trees because we grew them from seeds when I was a kid :3:

So last year I started a bunch. I know you really need dwarf varieties for pots, but whatever, it's fun and I can experiment with different pruning methods and whatnot. The granular stuff on the soil is the fungus gnat treatment

The two biggest ones (keep in mind every plant here was started at the same time)

That vertical shoot did that in, like, 7-10 days. I love how much they grow even in winter

Most of the rest, with a Dahlia hiding there in the middle left

I've pruned these low shoots (can they be called suckers if it's not a graft?) a number of times, but for some reason this scrawny one loves doing them. I think I'll just leave it like this and see how it develops

Thinking to leave most of them indoors this summer. As the growth shows, they don't seem to mind, and they did take a fair amount of insect damage last fall

drat I'm real jealous I've wanted a lemon and lime tree for a while now. Those look super happy! Plus if you get a lime tree you can tell people limes are just unripe lemons, I don't know why thats a plus to me but its definitely in the pros column

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I got a new zz plant yesterday :3:. Water bottle for scale. This thing is huge and heavy and I think that thing sticking out in a loop is a root?

Wondering if when I repot it in a few months in spring if I shouldn’t just split the thing into two or three pots.

e: I picked up an “imperial red” philodendron the other week too. It doesn’t look to be doing so good and there’s mold(?) growing on it. How do I fix this?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 22, 2018

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I've had good luck with a Baking Soda spray solution for mildew: https://www.thespruce.com/baking-soda-for-controlling-powdery-mildew-1402520

That's deeper and might be tougher, though, plus it's best as a preventative. More direct would be a stronger baking soda application (or even vinegar or rubbing alcohol, though I haven't tried those myself) with a q-tip, if you can get in there. That low leaf that's the moldiest looks pretty dead regardless, can you pull it and the husk below off to air things out more?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Guys, I would really appreciate some insight on how to manage my new garden. I bought this from a couple with four kids so it was a completely desolate wasteland, and then five of the wettest months I can remember combined with a dog who likes to run in circles on the "grass" has made it something of a mudball hellscape:

This is what it looks like as of this morning:

Back-right is a fence gate into where my garage is (with a drop down of about 18" into another mudpit). Just under the patio (out of frame front-left) there's a couple of sad looking garden beds and a small koi pond, and a large rockery on front-right out of frame too.

I'm not sure if I should embrace all the angles there, or try to balance them out with some kind of serpentine lines for garden beds and paths. A my initial and unpremeditated plan would be to have raised beds either side of the garden office, and along the right hand fence, and a fully paved path towards the back area. The back area is where my dog does his business, so landscaping fabric and lots of bark chips, and bark chips under the trees. I think at this point I'm not going to have a huge footprint of lawn, so was thinking of just getting turf?

Honestly any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm not looking to complete this in one season but would like to start off on the right foot.

Best,

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I actually think the foundation for a good garden is already there, most of your trouble seems to be purely cosmetic and easily fixable - remove that old broken small shed, put screening over that ugly red fencing, re-turf and so on.

It’s a dull borning thing but what you need is a plan to scale and on paper my friend.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That yard is badass.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Make a decent paper or SketchUp plan I agree. Count on replacing that shed as it's had it obviously, then think about paths to your summer house and back gate, you don't want to be sludging through the dog tracks for those. The back of your neighbors garage looks like a great place to start growing some big gently caress off Clematis up. Do you plan to have a fruit/veg plot anywhere? If you do I'd raise existing beds to keep the dog out.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That yard is badass.

agreed. Super jealous.

One fun thing to do (if you have the time) would be to take photos every hour or two from the same position over the course of a day. Look at all of them/combine them in photoshop to see what your total sun situation is in various parts -- something like this.

e: It looks like it's graded, so definitely think in terms of drainage when putting in any raised beds. I don't see any problems with where you've mentioned already, just food for thought.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 22, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nosre posted:

I've had good luck with a Baking Soda spray solution for mildew: https://www.thespruce.com/baking-soda-for-controlling-powdery-mildew-1402520

That's deeper and might be tougher, though, plus it's best as a preventative. More direct would be a stronger baking soda application (or even vinegar or rubbing alcohol, though I haven't tried those myself) with a q-tip, if you can get in there. That low leaf that's the moldiest looks pretty dead regardless, can you pull it and the husk below off to air things out more?

The broken stem that the mold is on is dead and came like that. You can see where the leaf attached to it just fell off. Anyway I wasn’t sure what to do with it so I’ve just left it there. Am I suppose to pull it off though? Since it’s already dead I might try q tips and vinegar directly on it since I have those on hand assuming it won’t kill the rest of the plant.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Well, if it's dead, pulling it off and getting more air circulation can only help the mold situation. I don't know how doable that is with the structure of that particular type of philodendron, though, or if there's any risk of damaging the plant :(

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

Guys, I would really appreciate some insight on how to manage my new garden. I bought this from a couple with four kids so it was a completely desolate wasteland, and then five of the wettest months I can remember combined with a dog who likes to run in circles on the "grass" has made it something of a mudball hellscape:

This is what it looks like as of this morning:

Back-right is a fence gate into where my garage is (with a drop down of about 18" into another mudpit). Just under the patio (out of frame front-left) there's a couple of sad looking garden beds and a small koi pond, and a large rockery on front-right out of frame too.

I'm not sure if I should embrace all the angles there, or try to balance them out with some kind of serpentine lines for garden beds and paths. A my initial and unpremeditated plan would be to have raised beds either side of the garden office, and along the right hand fence, and a fully paved path towards the back area. The back area is where my dog does his business, so landscaping fabric and lots of bark chips, and bark chips under the trees. I think at this point I'm not going to have a huge footprint of lawn, so was thinking of just getting turf?

Honestly any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm not looking to complete this in one season but would like to start off on the right foot.

Best,

Yeah this is a pretty awesome space.

One thing, though -- landscaping fabric + bark chips is a recipe for weeds. I would think in terms of making a shade-loving garden bed, or getting some shade-loving lawn alternatives. (A moss lawn might work if you're somewhere really wet like the Pacific Northwest).

And yeah, paths are a good idea, if for nothing else than so you can get to that office without trudging through the mud.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

I got a new zz plant yesterday :3:. Water bottle for scale. This thing is huge and heavy and I think that thing sticking out in a loop is a root?

Wondering if when I repot it in a few months in spring if I shouldn’t just split the thing into two or three pots.

Yep, that's a root. That's what happens when they are potbound: they start heaving themselves out of their pot. If it goes on long enough, you'll see their tubers/storage organs/somebody help with the proper name for this one.

ZZs are tough as nails. They're the only plant I know of that tries to escape when it's ran out of room.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 23, 2018

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Alstroemeria send out stolons under the soil to the edges of whatever container they're in. Eventually they can lift the whole plant, soil and all, out of a too-small pot.

They're also beautiful plants that are extremely easy to grow, at least here in the upper Midwest (the Princess series, anyway--not the tall gangly ones grown for floristry). Pull off any spent flower or blind stem from the soil and it'll throw up more in its place. For the first time, I'm trying to overwinter two in containers. I hope they make it, but I'm also not afraid to buy a couple more to have guaranteed low-maintenance color and performance. I really can't say enough about these plants!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
ZZ Plant -- Corms? Edit: nope just rhizomes. Hm

How can I convince my boss (work at a houseplant/flower shop that rocks/shards of pottery/marbles at the bottom of a pot don't help with drainage?

No one likes know-it-alls but potting medium's wicking action overrides the forces of gravity so the water doesn't trickle away down to the bottom away from the roots -- instead it just remains mostly in the soil (this is excellent for terrariums, less so for a potted plant), where it tends to overstay its welcome and potentially rot roots/crowns and deprive roots of oxygen.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My utricularia send their "roots" through trays full of water and colonize surrounding pots. They're crazy.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Hirayuki posted:

Alstroemeria send out stolons under the soil to the edges of whatever container they're in. Eventually they can lift the whole plant, soil and all, out of a too-small pot.

They're also beautiful plants that are extremely easy to grow, at least here in the upper Midwest (the Princess series, anyway--not the tall gangly ones grown for floristry). Pull off any spent flower or blind stem from the soil and it'll throw up more in its place. For the first time, I'm trying to overwinter two in containers. I hope they make it, but I'm also not afraid to buy a couple more to have guaranteed low-maintenance color and performance. I really can't say enough about these plants!

This is my jam, I've been planning/working on the garden, but have been wanting to establish some sturdy potted perennial flowers.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/search-results?form-mode=false&query=alstroemeria

There's a ton of them--are the Princess series the exception, with most others being tall/gangly?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you all for the kind words about the space. The reason I assumed fabric/woodchips was that it SEEMED to do a decent job in my old place. The 'problem' is that wife and I go through fits and starts when it comes to gardening and so having a balance between high maintenance and pretty is in order.

As for garden beds and food growing - absolutely: we've got some dwarf fruit trees around the perimeter already and had great luck in our old place with some rudimentary crop rotation of brassicas, tomatoes, legumes and complimentary flowers - I figure the space with the angled fence is a good thing.

As for knocking down shed: I totally agree. I'm a little worried that the things which have to happen first are the most expensive i.e. replacing the lovely fencing, turf, paving, etc.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Nosre posted:

This is my jam, I've been planning/working on the garden, but have been wanting to establish some sturdy potted perennial flowers.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/search-results?form-mode=false&query=alstroemeria

There's a ton of them--are the Princess series the exception, with most others being tall/gangly?
I think the distinction is between tropical uprights (the kind grown in South America for bouquets: tall and with lovely foliage) and these clumping ones, which are annual in USDA Zone 6a but can overwinter if protected. I'm guessing they'll act as perennials in a warmer climate. If they're described as "clumping," you should be good to go.

Here's a gigantic photo from my garden. I'm sorry the closeup doesn't give a good idea of the overall habit or anything, but I thought the flowers were pretty. :3:

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

ey im walkin simulator here
I'm planting my first garden this year! Which might have been a bad idea because right after I put seeds in the planter, Georgia got a massive cold snap. :(

Right now I've got a ton of lavender and catnip. I also have Canterbury bells and marigolds but my main interest is with weird herbs and aromatics. I have an Appalachian mint right now (P. flexuosum) that's going strong though, despite the snaps. It grows really well in the clay which I wasn't expecting. Smells good, has cute flowers when it blooms.

I also like dry pressing flowers but I have no idea what to do with them after they're pressed aside from just putting them in a jar. Any suggestions?

My parents also have a garden in the same area since it's super rural. Aside from typical garden plants, they have some neat stuff like muscadine vines, crab apple trees (which they actually make jelly out of, it's pretty good), bleeding hearts, and some clematis. Which the deer love to eat. Those aren't the only garden visitors, though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Southern Heel posted:

As for knocking down shed: I totally agree. I'm a little worried that the things which have to happen first are the most expensive i.e. replacing the lovely fencing, turf, paving, etc.

I would say the trellis is fine, it’s just slotting panels in for everywhere else. The real pig and expense is replacing the posts and yours are fine - you need to find out who’s fencing it actually is as well. It’s cosmetic rather than hard landscaping so don’t sweat it too much, you can always put down grass seed to save pennies.

Easy jobs for right now: Those beds need weeding which is a really short job with https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000PJ8FGC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and cut that thing on your patio right back. Hoe those rases beds and dig in some compost (Wilco’s do 50l for £3) and start planting roses or clematis. :)

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 24, 2018

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Judas Horse posted:

I also like dry pressing flowers but I have no idea what to do with them after they're pressed aside from just putting them in a jar. Any suggestions?

Isn't it traditional to scrapbook them?

You could also make greeting cards or do collage.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

learnincurve posted:

I would say the trellis is fine, it’s just slotting panels in for everywhere else. The real pig and expense is replacing the posts and yours are fine - you need to find out who’s fencing it actually is as well. It’s cosmetic rather than hard landscaping so don’t sweat it too much, you can always put down grass seed to save pennies.

Easy jobs for right now: Those beds need weeding which is a really short job with https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000PJ8FGC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and cut that thing on your patio right back. Hoe those rases beds and dig in some compost (Wilco’s do 50l for £3) and start planting roses or clematis. :)

I put the trellis up when I moved in to stop my dog bounding over the red fencing that's there - which is in a really poor state. I guess it could wait until next year (i.e. do the garden beds, rockery, etc. this year and then worry about the fence next year inbetween seasons).

As for turf/seed you're quite right of course - to be honest I figured if I could sort the geometry of the paving out, and expand those raised beds to 2' deep or so - then there's not actually a huge amount of turf left! I'll try to grab some snaps from the other side of the garden later today.

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Isn't it traditional to scrapbook them?

You could also make greeting cards or do collage.

Never really got into scrapbooking (as much as I like making bullet point journals). I like the greeting card idea a lot though, thank you!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Nepenthes and Cymbidium (she’s our queen, imo) from work. :3 I’m partial to that olive tree next to the cym, it’s more of a stick.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

that thing is serious ^^

my girlfriend's increasing love affair with succulents continues with our first Sempervivum (hen and chicks) layout

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Nepenthes and Cymbidium (she’s our queen, imo) from work. :3 I’m partial to that olive tree next to the cym, it’s more of a stick.

holy poo poo that nepenthes is beautiful

Nosre posted:

that thing is serious ^^

my girlfriend's increasing love affair with succulents continues with our first Sempervivum (hen and chicks) layout

hens and chicks are awesome and super easy to grow. if you like those and haven't explored the sedum family you should, there are some really fun flowering stonecrops that work really well in layouts

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

hens and chicks are awesome and super easy to grow. if you like those and haven't explored the sedum family you should, there are some really fun flowering stonecrops that work really well in layouts

Nice, will keep an eye out. As with a lot of english-internet trends, Europe is a few years behind the US/Instagram so it's a bit harder to find places with good selection of succulents. It's expanding, though

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Nosre posted:

Nice, will keep an eye out. As with a lot of english-internet trends, Europe is a few years behind the US/Instagram so it's a bit harder to find places with good selection of succulents. It's expanding, though

Maybe hunt around to see if you can mail order them online? I feel like you can mail order anything in the UK.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My nepenthes are never happy indoors, but that one looks great. I don't know what it is, but the leaves and stems just get soft and weak while they're overwintering indoors. Maybe just not enough light, but they're right in front of some big south-facing windows.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Judas Horse posted:

Never really got into scrapbooking (as much as I like making bullet point journals). I like the greeting card idea a lot though, thank you!

My grandma used to press flowers, she'd do 3 things with them, 1 was make books of the local wildflowers with multiple pressings, notes, descriptions and stories then occasionally sell them. 2 was make these awesome multilayer frames with layers of different pressings in front of a tiny watercolour (courtesy of my grandad) so it was like one of those old Disney animations with the 3d effect. Third was to amass a giant collection and occasionally sell half of it. I don't think she needed the money she just likes collecting better than keeping. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

That's also a really cool idea! If I were better at identifying native plants, I'd probably donate labeled ones to the college I go to - most of their dried plant specimens are from the 70s, and many are damaged. Would be nice to give back somehow.

Oh, quick tips for dry pressing if they're not already in the thread!
-Use only dry flowers (or hang them to dry more if they're still wet. Check for bugs.
-You get different results using different paper. Simple thin pages like a bible or paperbacks give different textures and looks than high gloss or laminated pages. Experiment for different results.
-More weight tends to have more translucent end results but are more fragile in my experience.
-Small plants and herbs can be pressed within about a week and a half, but I tend towards 2-3 and a month for larger plants because I live in a humid area.
-Remove with tweezers. I don't recommend handling dry pressed plants with your hands at all because of how fragile a lot of them are. That said, some plants are more resilient than others (dried lavender holds it shape better than a daffodil bloom, for example).