Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Make it simple; you only gain CP and may only use stratagems from the detachment your Warlord is in.

This is a good post.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

40K should go back there too. 3rd edition really was the best.

This is not a good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
CP should not be linked to army composition in any way except to get the CP when an army is battle forged, because right now it's an incentive to take multiple battalions to get the most out of it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Alternatively: You get 3 CP flat + 1 for every thousand points total.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

DancingShade posted:

Alternatively: You get 3 CP flat + 1 for every thousand points total.

There are armies that are balanced around higher CP, like guard who have most of their 'power moves' hidden behind Strats.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

How about -1 CP per Codex you use that your Warlord isn't part of? Or possibly make that per Detachment that contains any models that aren't from your Primary Codex.

Problem is that penalises fluffy lists like Word Bearers with a bunch of Daemons, or anyone not running pure Knights, etc.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I do think there is balance in the CP and stratagem system. Like when I'm using my World Eaters I struggle to get a huge amount of CPs but then again I don't have a huge amount of stratagems to use. Switching to Tau I counted 18 stratagem last night that I could have used during my game. None of them are massively powerful effects (compared to my opponents Veterans of Long War and Endless Cacophony) but I had multiple options in every phase (well bar the obvious one)

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Running white scars I’m also limited to 4 CP total if I want the army to be even somewhat fluffy. To be honest there wouldn’t be a need to have niche detachments if they did the “x counts as troops” to encourage and limit a factions strengths.

Limit to one detachment. It worked in 3rd.

Remove the supreme command detachment, or change it to -3 CP at a minimum.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Remove stratagems.

Bring back the old FOC.

Nuclear option.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zark the Damned posted:

How about -1 CP per Codex you use that your Warlord isn't part of? Or possibly make that per Detachment that contains any models that aren't from your Primary Codex.

Problem is that penalises fluffy lists like Word Bearers with a bunch of Daemons, or anyone not running pure Knights, etc.

Then the first extra codex/index (that is: the second) is free and beyond that the penalties stack?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Then the first extra codex/index (that is: the second) is free and beyond that the penalties stack?

No, because that still let's you do dumb poo poo like a mixed ultramarine / raven guard force with no penalty.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just remove command points.

Then force everyone to run Necromunda gangs on the 40k battlefield instead of armies.

None of these solutions are required BTW, if you just play with friends. By all means make labyrinthine rules for your local tournie though.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Zark the Damned posted:

There isn't really such a thing as a 'primary codex' though. Some units still only have index rules, some come from FW books, and later on I expect new units will be added using some combination of rules in the kit or storyline campaign books. The most obvious case is gonna be when GW get around to re-doing Slaanesh daemons, and you see a bunch of new & revamped datasheets not from the codex.

I think the easiest quick-fix is to only earn CP for your Warlord's detachment, but even then I think that may too badly penalise armies with few or very expensive Troops options.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Just remove command points.

Then force everyone to run Necromunda gangs on the 40k battlefield instead of armies.

None of these solutions are required BTW, if you just play with friends. By all means make labyrinthine rules for your local tournie though.

Some of us want to be able to play pickup games and may not be able to just turn down games because people bring lovely lists without losing our chance to play that night entirely. I'd prefer the game to have reasonable rules so that we don't have to houserule how to not make lovely lists.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Booley posted:

No, because that still let's you do dumb poo poo like a mixed ultramarine / raven guard force with no penalty.

"Only units with <CHAPTER> matching that of the Warlord may use Chapter Tactics"

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Booley posted:

Some of us want to be able to play pickup games and may not be able to just turn down games because people bring lovely lists without losing our chance to play that night entirely. I'd prefer the game to have reasonable rules so that we don't have to houserule how to not make lovely lists.

Don't play with people that make lovely lists. :shrug:

Social consequences for being a dick isn't exclusive to "normal" society.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Strobe posted:

Don't play with people that make lovely lists. :shrug:

Social consequences for being a dick isn't exclusive to "normal" society.

Codifying agreed-upon rules of behavior is the basis of society, though?

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
Currently for matched play, everything in the army has to have a faction keyword in common. I'd like to see armies get a small bonus for choosing a more specific faction keyword over something more general. For example, if you choose Chaos you get no special bonus, if you choose something more specific like Tzeentch or Chaos Space Marines you might get +1 CP, and if you choose one individual subfaction like Nurgle Daemons, it could be +3 CP. The keyword choices could be designed to encourage combining armies that more naturally work together, so there could be a keyword for fielding Astra Militarum with Militarum Tempestus or Sisters of Battle with Ministorum forces. I'd like the bonuses to be relatively small so that a general Imperial or Chaos army is still a good choice, but I think there should be some benefit for having the entire army fit a particular theme.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Currently for matched play, everything in the army has to have a faction keyword in common. I'd like to see armies get a small bonus for choosing a more specific faction keyword over something more general. For example, if you choose Chaos you get no special bonus, if you choose something more specific like Tzeentch or Chaos Space Marines you might get +1 CP, and if you choose one individual subfaction like Nurgle Daemons, it could be +3 CP. The keyword choices could be designed to encourage combining armies that more naturally work together, so there could be a keyword for fielding Astra Militarum with Militarum Tempestus or Sisters of Battle with Ministorum forces. I'd like the bonuses to be relatively small so that a general Imperial or Chaos army is still a good choice, but I think there should be some benefit for having the entire army fit a particular theme.

You'll get someone complaining that your rules are disadvantaging their Forges Of Mars inspired kitchen sink army.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
3rd edition was rad because black templars were a nigthmare in melee

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I like when melee mattered.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

3rd edition was rad because black templars were a nigthmare in melee

Was that when they had the "Fall back TOWARD the enemy" vow?

Cuz that ruled.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
That rule was complete bullshit.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Floppychop posted:

It's Forge World, so for Battlescribe you have to have the FW Adeptus Astartes selected.

A Blood Angels Librarian Dread is an HQ choice. So it is not a flyer.

I found the FW adeptius entry but when I make an air wing it only accepts FW fliers, is this correct or can I add the other Storms fliers that are GW/BA natives.

And if my Libby Dread can fly every turn then he should totally have the keyword FLY

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

I found the FW adeptius entry but when I make an air wing it only accepts FW fliers, is this correct or can I add the other Storms fliers that are GW/BA natives.

And if my Libby Dread can fly every turn then he should totally have the keyword FLY

Battlescribe is a bit awkward for setting up detachments that include units from multiple books. If you add the FW astartes entry as a sub-entry to your normal BA battalion or whatever you can take both as part of the same detachment.

Your libby dread does have the keyword FLY when his wings have manifest. The Flyer role is independent of the FLY keyword. Assault marines with jump packs are not Flyers, and Devastators are Heavy Support even if they're only armed with boltguns.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Real talk the only problem with 8th is that horus heresy doesn't use it.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
there's a real nerd fetish for one-size-fits-all rulings when most of the trouble seems to come from very specific things that could probably be fixed on their own.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Der Waffle Mous posted:

there's a real nerd fetish for one-size-fits-all rulings when most of the trouble seems to come from very specific things that could probably be fixed on their own.

Agree with this emphatically

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Was that when they had the "Fall back TOWARD the enemy" vow?

Cuz that ruled.

yeeesssss :twisted:

they also had a vow where everyone hit on a 3+ or better in melee, and you could give powerfists to regular marines so they couldnt be targeted before they got to swing

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Exploiting detachments to crib extremely powerful relics is a problem that will likely persist, but yeah the issue tends to be rooted moreso in certain units just being too powerful for their point costs; flyrants, shield-captains, and chaos psykers to be precise.

Like, if you divorce the fact that flyrants are really good right now, that imperial guard + hive tyrant list could look pretty cool with proper conversion and paint.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Corrode posted:

The real problem they have is that the regiment-level keywords are doing the same job to cover different things. Tempestus is a separate regiment and they get a bonus if set up right, but ultimately they're just Stormtroopers which were a generic Guard unit for decades. Very few people seem to believe that you shouldn't be able to take them routinely because 'Guard has Stormtroopers' is a normal thing.

Then it also covers Daemons, which have always had people expecting that 'fluffy' Daemons means mono-God, but plenty of people pulling the other direction and using mixed lists. Personally I think mono-God is way too limiting, since almost everything in the book is marked and that means cutting out 3/4 of the options available, a restriction no other faction (including Chaos Marines) is expected to operate under.

The also there's stuff like Space Marines where generally you've had 'an Ultramarines army' or 'a Raven Guard army' and suddenly you can, and perhaps should, mix and match tactics, in a way which hasn't been normal for them ever.

So it's trying to do a bunch of different jobs and cover very different situations (even though it's basically arbitrary why x feels ok but y doesn't). That's not an easy thing to balance.

Right now, you are typically rewarded for taking multiple detachments. If I add Custodes to my Mechanicus or Khorne to my Tzeentch, I get rewarded both by being able to cherry pick units and rules and I also get CP for free. All I'm suggesting is that you get to choose between cherry picking and the CP gravy train.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

tbh how much of all this would be fixed if you just nerfed kurov's and grand strategist

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Exploiting detachments to crib extremely powerful relics is a problem that will likely persist, but yeah the issue tends to be rooted moreso in certain units just being too powerful for their point costs; flyrants, shield-captains, and chaos psykers to be precise.

Like, if you divorce the fact that flyrants are really good right now, that imperial guard + hive tyrant list could look pretty cool with proper conversion and paint.

Really? It had a superheavy tank, 7 identical big nids, and a handful of other required models to fill out detachments. It wasn't a nid army, it wasn't a guard army, and it wasn't a gsc army.

It could be really cool if it had some actual unit variety though. Some actual GSC units so that it makes sense for a shadowsword to be running around with a bunch of nids. The kind of thing the detachment system was supposed to create. Instead, the supreme command detachment lets people run full armies of pure HQs. That detachment needs to go. You can usually get enough HQs out of your other detachments to run interesting things like a librarian conclave, and if it turns out you can't then just trow 1 more optional HQ onto other detachments, but it's stupid that you can tack a detachment of 5 flyrants onto a GSC army or 3 shield captains onto any imperial army or 5 cheap chaos psykers onto any chaos army, and gain incredibly valuable command points for doing so.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Booley posted:

Really? It had a superheavy tank, 7 identical big nids, and a handful of other required models to fill out detachments. It wasn't a nid army, it wasn't a guard army, and it wasn't a gsc army.

It could be really cool if it had some actual unit variety though. Some actual GSC units so that it makes sense for a shadowsword to be running around with a bunch of nids. The kind of thing the detachment system was supposed to create. Instead, the supreme command detachment lets people run full armies of pure HQs. That detachment needs to go. You can usually get enough HQs out of your other detachments to run interesting things like a librarian conclave, and if it turns out you can't then just trow 1 more optional HQ onto other detachments, but it's stupid that you can tack a detachment of 5 flyrants onto a GSC army or 3 shield captains onto any imperial army or 5 cheap chaos psykers onto any chaos army, and gain incredibly valuable command points for doing so.

I dont disagree with you at all; supreme command is a dumb handout to people who ran stupid 7e lists.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Supreme Command is one of those things where even the ostensibly intended use-case has no business being in regular-sized games of 40k.

(being a replacement for the dumb "take 5 powered up librarians" formations or dumb apocalypse Court of the Young King shenanigans)

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Serious question, how much do the shield captains and others need to shift before they're fair?
As a new player, I like the idea of being able to collect a bunch of smaller detachments and teams and getting to smush them together on the field. It doesn't feel like as much investment into a play style I might find out I don't like. Plus, as a new player, being able to fill out 1/4 of my list with three cool models means there's a much better chance that my poo poo won't just be primered when it hits the table.
Maybe I'm part of the problem, but ever since I've been reading this thread, everything that looks cool or fun to play with always has people shrieking about it. Guard? No, broken. Jetbikes? No, broken. Nids? GTFO. I can already hear the gnashing teeth from when GW has the nerve to release the next codex.

On a related note, I played my first game last week. We won heartily, by paying attention to victory points. My opponents tried to cheat by moving the terrain after the sides has been determined when everyone else went out for a smoke. They also kept trying to pick and choose between beta/ non beta rules. I almost picked up my dollies and left because of all the bullshit going on, but it was a doubles match, and I didn't want to let my teammate down. Final score was 37-2, so I guess that's what matters?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
My most enduring and scarring 3e memory was a friend annihilating me in a tournament with a blood angels rhino rush.

As far as fixing detachments and cross faction stuff, I think some sort of bonus for having an army at each “level” of keyword is a good place to start. Big bonus if your whole army is ravenwing, medium bonus if your whole army is dark angels, small bonus if your whole army is adeptus astartes, no bonus if your whole army is imperium. CP can be conceptually abstracted as the span of control of your warlord, so maybe combine that army wide bonus with the suggestion that detachments that have tags that mismatch your warlord not generate CP or generate a CP penalty.

That seems like a good balance where a tightly focused list generates more CP and has an army wide bonus, while a soup list is still something you can take but you’re a little clumsier and can’t use as many stratagems over the course of the game. All of this doesn’t really matter though since I doubt GW would d that kind of revision.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm going to take the moderate stance that I am perfectly happy to play against armies that come to casual pickups with Bike Shield Captain Supreme Command detachments. So long as I get to take a hammer to the models at the end of the game, I'll call it fair.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm going to take the moderate stance that I am perfectly happy to play against armies that come to casual pickups with Bike Shield Captain Supreme Command detachments. So long as I get to take a hammer to the models at the end of the game, I'll call it fair.

This is also a reasonable approach.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beast Pussy posted:

Maybe I'm part of the problem, but ever since I've been reading this thread, everything that looks cool or fun to play with always has people shrieking about it. Guard? No, broken. Jetbikes? No, broken. Nids? GTFO. I can already hear the gnashing teeth from when GW has the nerve to release the next codex.

None of these are a problem in and of themselves. The problem comes when you start mashing things together. A guard army is strong, yes, but perfectly fine to play against (even if kurov + grand strategist needs a nerf). Jetbike captains are fine - as part of a custodes army. Nid armies are strong, but also fine to play against, unless you do dumb poo poo like run nothing but 7 flyrants.

The problem comes when your guard army is a company commander with grand strategist and kurov's, 2 psykers, and a shadowsword, and then a bare minimum 150 points of genestealer cults to be the glue that lets you attach that to a bunch of flyrants. Or when your space marine army badly needs more command points so you take 180 points worth of guard to give you the chaff marines don't get and 3 more CP. Or when you can tack 3 jetbike captains onto any imperial army to give you a super tough mobile force that can clear chaff and elites well, and gives you more CP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Death to Supreme Command