Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

regulargonzalez posted:

Lesser known 70s conspiracy thrillers? Something along the lines of The Parallax View, The Conversation, Three Days of the Condor, All the President's Men.

Domino Principle, The Osterman Weekend, Executive Action, Peckinpah's Ninja Elite, and pushing the lesser known bar of course The Boys from Brazil, Marathon Man

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Lesser known 70s conspiracy thrillers? Something along the lines of The Parallax View, The Conversation, Three Days of the Condor, All the President's Men.

possession

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Parachute posted:

possession

Possession is 81.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Possession is 81.

we're splitting hairs here when we should be focused on making sure OP watches possession

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Would Soylent Green count? I know it's not lesser known but it might not be an obvious example due to being considered more of a Sci-Fi than a conspiracy film

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Capricorn One fits in there.

Cpt_Martha
Jul 17, 2017

Ulio posted:

Any good Korean movie recommendations? I just recently got into them and love them. So far I have seen The Handmaiden, I Saw The Devil, The Chaser, A Tale of Two Sisters, The Wailing, Train To Busan, The Piper, Roaring(?). Really enjoyed all of those except Roaring which I just dropped because it was way too much exposition. Only gave it a try cause it had the same actor from I saw the devil and chaser.

Mostly gone with horror/thriller genre so far but I don't mind suggestions of other genres.

Made this list for one of my friends a few years ago, you can pick almost any one of them and have a good time. It's just a casual thing I made for my friend with an extremely brief idea of what it is and if I enjoyed it.

Gangster:

1. A Bittersweet Life (good gangster action movie)
2. A Dirty Carnival (gangster foot soldier does some things and kills some dudes. Very good)
3. Rough Cut (Gangster agrees to act in an rear end in a top hat's movie, but the catch is he demands that they shoot the action scenes for reals)
4. My Wife is a Gangster (mediocre)
5. Friend (coming of age, very good)
6. Sunflower (dude gets out of jail and doesn't want to be involved in crime at all anymore. Everyone is scared shitless of him and thinks he's planning something. Really good, the end pays off well)
7. The Show Must Go On (Kang-Ho Song): Gangster tries to make enough cash to get out of the gangsta business, good movie.
8. New World: cop joins the biggest gang, becomes second in command. Gang leader dies, power vacuum is created, he has to decide whether he wants to be a gangsta or a pig. Hilarious ending, really enjoyed it. Oldboy has a small part.
9. Bloody Tie: Gangster starts leaking info to a cop about a gang that killed his friend. Don't really remember much else so it was probably not that great.
10. No. 3 – about a bunch of different storylines intersecting or something, saw it a while ago. Think it's comedy too. Liked it.
11. Sarang/ A Love: I was drunk. I don't remember.

Crime:
12. Memories of Murder (police procedural/thrillery/mystery, one of the top Korean movies and influential as well. If you've seen Zodiac, that movie borrowed lots from Memories)
13. Children (very good): Based on a real event, some kids go missing and this professor and reporter start trying to solve it, really really good movie.
14. The Chaser (absolute hands down favourite korean, Suspense)
15. The Yellow Sea (from the same director/actors as the chaser, but was mediocre)
16. City of Violence: (two bros raise hell trying to find out who killed their friend. Action)
17. World of Silence –about a photographer who is suspected in serial killing kids or something. Was okay I guess
18. Mother: Same director who did memories of murder. Woman's mentally handicapped son is arrested for murder, she doesn't think he did it and sets out to solve the murder herself.
19. Secret Reunion: About an ex south and ex north korean spy teaming up for something. Was okay
20. Countdown: Dude who needs a liver transplant makes a deal with a woman in prison for once she's released, but she gets released and a bunch of people are after her.

Revenge:
21. Mr. Vengeance (didn't like as much) (Part 1 of Vengeance trilogy. DIFFERENT STORIES)
22. Oldboy (part 2 of vengeance trilogy)
23. Lady Vengeance (part 3): Can't remember much, stars a girl trying to find a guy who did bad things to her or something
24. I Saw the Devil
25. The Man from Nowhere

Comedy:
26. The Foul King (wrestling comedy, quite good. Kang-Ho Song)
27. My Sassy Girl (also part Rom-Com, but really really good and hilarious)
28. The Host (monster movie, Kang-Ho Song)
29. The Quiet Family (Dark comedy – family buys hotel, people keep dying, they just keep burying the bodies. Kang-Ho Song and Min-Sik Choi)
30. Welcome to Dongmakgol (South and North Korean soldiers are stranded in a remote village during the Korean war, must cooperate. Funny and well shot)
31. The King and the Clown (A group of jesters have to keep putting on shows for a crazy king, also part drama but really good)
32. I'm A Cyborg, But That's OK (didn't like this one much, didn't even finish)
33. Guns and Talks (Group of assassins doing assassin stuff, really good and lots of actors from other movies)
34. Attack the Gas Station (group of friends decide to rob a gas station, station doesn't have much money so they run the station for a night to take the money. Things go bad and what not)
35. Castaway on the Moon (Man stuck on a deserted island in the middle of a city. Very good,comedy)
36. The Good, The Bad, The Weird (3 of the biggest Korean stars (Kang-Ho Song, Byung-Hun Lee and a guy))
37. YMCA Baseball (Kang-Ho Song) – about a Korean baseball team
38. Hello Ghost – dude can suddenly see I think 4 ghosts who won't go away until he fulfills their last requests.
39. The President's Last Bang: Black comedy about the immediate aftermath of the president's assassination.
40. The President's Barber: Comedy about a barber who becomes the president's barber and important korean moments thru his eyes. Kang-Ho Song.
41. The Thieves: Bunch of Koreans and I think Japanese thieves team up to pull of a big heist. Pretty hollywood type movie, p good.
42. Big Bang – really by the books straight edge dude gets arrested for something minor, decides gently caress it if im going to jail I might as well enjoy it and go to jail for a long time. Goes on a hilarious rampage with another petty criminal. Recommended
43. Going By the Book: By the book cop gets chosen by new police chief to stage a fake bank robbery for the cops to use as practice. Turns out he's really good at it and takes it very seriously. Really good.
44. Arahan: About a cop who discover he has martial arts powers or something. One of those CGI fighting movies. Was aight if you like that stuff.
45. Art Of Fighting: Highschool bully fodder starts getting fightin lessons from some ex champion or something.
46. Kick the Moon: in highschool there was a gangster kid and a straight arrow kid. 10 Years later the straight arrow kid is a gangster and the gangster is a highschool gym teacher. They start fighting over a woman.

Drama
47. JSA AKA Joint Security Area: ( Kang-Ho Song, Bittersweet Life guy and some other big stars) (2 north and south Korean soldiers stationed on opposite sides of a river start becoming friends. Bad things happen)
48. Secret Sunshine (did not like): Lady's son dies, she spends the next 2 hours of the movie crying and being boring
49. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring...: Drama about a monk or something, more an art house film, very little dialogue, shot incredibly. Found boring.
50. Crying Fist (really good boxing movie that stars Oldboy guy)
51. Failan – Woman comes to Korea and wants to stay so she marries a washed up gangster who agrees to it cause he's short on cash. Stars Oldboy guy and I thought it was meh.
52. Breathless aka poo poo Fly: Brutal movie about a super rear end in a top hat debt collector who befriends a highschool girl. About domestic violence and the cycle of abuse mostly
53. Painted Fire/Strokes of Fire: historical drama starring oldboy about an rear end in a top hat painted who changed the direction of korean art in the nineteenth century

WAR
54. Silmido: A bunch of Korean criminals are turned into soldiers getting trained for a suicide mission to kill the North Korean leader. Really good and actually happened, including the end
55. Taegukgi – Two brothers fight in the korean war, good and well known internationally
56. The Front Line: Dude is sent to a hill the north and south korean army are continually fighting over and changing ownership over every like day, to investigate a suspicious death of an officer. During korean war.

OTHER
57. Save the Green Planet: Mix of pretty much every genre. Dude thinks his ex-boss is an alien so he abducts him.
58. Thirst: Kang-Ho Song vampire movie, very good (and also funny)
59. Fighter in the Wind: Based on the guy Ryu is modeled after. Like a Korean Ip Man but with a good story and characters.
60. Musa: Like Dynasty Warriors
61 A Moment to Remember: Romance about a guy who marries a lady with alzheimers or something. Did not like.
62. Gangster High: About a group of highschool friends who get involved against a gang or something. Was okay.

I'd recommend Save the Green Planet because there's nothing really like it, No Mercy For the Rude, The Good The Bad The Weird because it's got some actors you'll recognize, Memories of Murder and Oldboy because they're two of the most well known, and maybe A Bittersweet Life. You'll recognize a lot of the same actors from movie to movie, and really I could add probably over a dozen more to the Watch It Now list. Just pick a genre you like and check it out.

There were also some South Korean Movie threads:
Part 3: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525253
Part 2: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3229107

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
whoa, what, The Yellow Sea loving kicks rear end :colbert:

e: also, you may notice a theme there, which is that the guy from Oldboy is in a lot of Korean movies. let this be an instruction to you that Oldboy is no bullshit one of the greatest loving movies ever made, and that his performance is a pretty big chunk of why. Choi Min-sik is a loving incredible actor and pretty much anything with him in it is at least worth a look for his performance, and anything directed by Park Chan-wook is pretty much guaranteed to be amazing.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 22, 2018

Cpt_Martha
Jul 17, 2017
Yeah I don't know, watching it after The Chaser I was let down. Maybe I need to give it another watch, it's been years since I watched it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's definitely not as good as The Chaser but it's not really that wide a gap imo

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
That's a really long list of Korean movies without one mention of Hong Sang-soo.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

regulargonzalez posted:

Knife in the Head
The Spook Who Sat by the Door
World on a Wire
Klute
Chinatown

Cpt_Martha
Jul 17, 2017

HP Hovercraft posted:

That's a really long list of Korean movies without one mention of Hong Sang-soo.

You're right, which would you recommend as a first?

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Cpt_Martha posted:

You're right, which would you recommend as a first?

Night and Day?

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

I'm looking for science fiction movies from the past few decades that basically start off with things in a seemingly normal, everyday way and then progress into something far more surreal or strange (quick example would be: person caught in a time loop, or people being replaced by aliens).

Essentially, I love shows like The Twilight Zone and the episodes where you have a normal situation and then give it a supernatural twist. I much prefer this to setting a story far in the future or on some colony in another galaxy/military sci-fi/etc..

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Oliver Reed posted:

I'm looking for science fiction movies from the past few decades that basically start off with things in a seemingly normal, everyday way and then progress into something far more surreal or strange (quick example would be: person caught in a time loop, or people being replaced by aliens).

Essentially, I love shows like The Twilight Zone and the episodes where you have a normal situation and then give it a supernatural twist. I much prefer this to setting a story far in the future or on some colony in another galaxy/military sci-fi/etc..

Timecrimes, Triangle (though this one is closer to horror than science fiction)

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Oliver Reed posted:

I love this type of movie too!

Time Lapse
Coherence
+1
Predestination
Primer
Sound of My Voice
Pin
The Conspiracy
Resolution

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Oliver Reed posted:

A few more:

The Adjustment Bureau
Another Earth
400 Days
Dark City (not quite a "normal situation," but you should still enjoy it; it's one of my favorite movies.)
"San Junipero" (the best episode of Black Mirror)

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Want to thank you guys for the sci-fi suggestions...have a nice little list I'm working off of.

I have another request, though this is more for fun/something I'm doing as a creative exercise: I'm looking for legendary actors, in later films/past their prime, in supporting/minor/lesser roles. For example, something like The Bucket List with Nicholson and Freeman wouldn't count, because while they're both up there in age/career-wise, they're the leads. Examples of what I mean:

Christopher Lee in the Star Wars prequels;
Terence Stamp in The Adjustment Bureau;
Vincent Price in Edward Scissorhands;
Marlon Brando in The Score

That sort of thing.

Oliver Reed fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 7, 2018

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Paul Newman in The Hudsucker Proxy and Road to Perdition.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Orson Welles in The Transformers: The Movie

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
James Coburn in Affliction.
Vincent Price in Dead Heat.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Would love some murder mystery recs, preferably old-school stuff like the Thin Man movies and noirs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
He's not past his prime in it, but Gene Hackman is a lot of fun Young Frankenstein. More what you're looking for would be Gene Hackman in The Mexican, but that's not a very good movie.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

any suggestions for a recent "smart" movie, something in the vein of Tinker Tailor where the viewer is rewarded/required to pay attention, something with a slower pace and great intrigue(s)?

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

morestuff posted:

Would love some murder mystery recs, preferably old-school stuff like the Thin Man movies and noirs.

Some of these I'm stretching the concept of murder mystery into "there is a mystery and at least one murder spicing it up en route", but in roughly descending order of direct relevance I can recommend Murder My Sweet (aka Farewell My Lovely), Witness for the Prosecution, The Big Sleep, The Lady from Shanghai, The Third Man, Woman on the Run, Les Diaboliques, Rear Window. There's also Klute and The Long Goodbye from the 70s neo-noir wave.

double nine posted:

any suggestions for a recent "smart" movie, something in the vein of Tinker Tailor where the viewer is rewarded/required to pay attention, something with a slower pace and great intrigue(s)?

Hopefully I get to throw in anything generally built around intrigue, as long as it's smart, contemplative and from this century: Winter's Bone, The White Ribbon, The Lives of Others, Phoenix, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Elle, Memories of Murder, Brick.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Oliver Reed posted:

Want to thank you guys for the sci-fi suggestions...have a nice little list I'm working off of.

I have another request, though this is more for fun/something I'm doing as a creative exercise: I'm looking for legendary actors, in later films/past their prime, in supporting/minor/lesser roles. For example, something like The Bucket List with Nicholson and Freeman wouldn't count, because while they're both up there in age/career-wise, they're the leads. Examples of what I mean:

That sort of thing.

Max Von Sydow in Minority Report

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Oliver Reed posted:

That sort of thing.

Robert Mitchum in the Cape Fear remake, though that might be more of a cameo nod than a minor role.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Origami Dali posted:

Robert Mitchum in the Cape Fear remake, though that might be more of a cameo nod than a minor role.

On that note, Robert Mitchum in Dead Man. He has a great minor role.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some more movies like Taxi Driver, Bringing out the Dead, and Bad Lieutenant? Generally looking for movies with themes like the ones in the movies I listed: isolation, loneliness, addiction, people being pushed to the end of their rope, urban alienation, generally gritty, etc.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Kvlt! posted:

What are some more movies like Taxi Driver, Bringing out the Dead, and Bad Lieutenant? Generally looking for movies with themes like the ones in the movies I listed: isolation, loneliness, addiction, people being pushed to the end of their rope, urban alienation, generally gritty, etc.

Midnight Cowboy, Klute, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, A Short Film About Killing, Light Sleeper, Naked, Leaving Las Vegas, Red Road, Tony Manero, A Touch of Sin, You Were Never Really Here

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kvlt! posted:

The Long Good Friday, Big Fan, Observe and Report, Get Carter (the Michael Caine one), I'll Sleep When I'm Dead.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Kvlt! posted:

The King of Comedy, Nightcrawler, Shame, Falling Down

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cpt_Martha posted:

Korean movies list

Kinda late to this one but thanks for this list. Really good I will save it.

unstucker
Jan 4, 2018
what to whatch on weekend?)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Godard's Weekend, obviously.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Saturday Night Fever, Any Given Sunday or Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Help me, thread. I'm looking for demon movies like Bava's Demons, Evil Dead, From Dusk Till Dawn, Nightbreed and Prince of Darkness. It's got to be something with a whole bunch of demons running around, loving poo poo up.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

And More posted:

Saturday Night Fever, Any Given Sunday or Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Help me, thread. I'm looking for demon movies like Bava's Demons, Evil Dead, From Dusk Till Dawn, Nightbreed and Prince of Darkness. It's got to be something with a whole bunch of demons running around, loving poo poo up.

Is a demon a fallen angel? Cause if so, then The Prophecy kinda fits. And its sequels I assume though I've never watched those.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

regulargonzalez posted:

Is a demon a fallen angel? Cause if so, then The Prophecy kinda fits. And its sequels I assume though I've never watched those.

They're not good but Christopher Walken is in some of them, and that's really all you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

regulargonzalez posted:

Seems like a reasonable train of thought to me. If they're all angelic-looking, I'd not necessarily count them as demons, though. In the movies that I listed, demons are usually either posessing people or they're humanoid, intelligent monsters. Maybe if they've got bat wings. :shrug:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They're not good but Christopher Walken is in some of them, and that's really all you need.

He's a demonic-looking dude, for sure.

• Locked thread