Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The episodes are up on On Demand and ahahahahaha Marco Jr. is a loving trip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The episodes are up on On Demand and ahahahahaha Marco Jr. is a loving trip

It's his own drat fault, too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's his own drat fault, too.

I liked during the ending with "How old are you? 0-15, 16-25... Oh! 26-35!" "Uhh... Star?" "You have a lot of catching up to do..."

Also Is Another Mystery was sad. :(

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Is Another Mystery had a real stand out moment with Tom. It's good to see him try so hard with Star in spite of clearly not really getting it 100% and him relating with the monsters was excellent. I don't like the monsters just leaving though. It feels like the writers are just side-stepping the issue for some reason and in story for them to just give up after one failure when they've made such huge strides recently is bizarre.

Man though, Marco sure is getting dunked on this season.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Nephthys posted:

Is Another Mystery had a real stand out moment with Tom. It's good to see him try so hard with Star in spite of clearly not really getting it 100% and him relating with the monsters was excellent. I don't like the monsters just leaving though. It feels like the writers are just side-stepping the issue for some reason and in story for them to just give up after one failure when they've made such huge strides recently is bizarre.

Maybe it's because they're making strides that the monsters decided to leave. They've come to realize they don't have to accept the current situation where they either eke out a living barely above the subsistence level or else act like evil monsters and get their faces kicked in by Mewmans for the chance to steal some corn. They know they don't have to live like that now, and if they can't find a new life on Mewni then maybe they can find it somewhere else.

In related news, the more Star vs. goes on the more I'm looking back and seeing allegories of racial oppression in the traditional fantasy tropes of the first season.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 17, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I do like that they explicitly aren't abandoning Star - they are fully supporting her claim to the throne and looking forward to the day when she calls the shots because they feel like they'll finally be safe under her rule. However, with Moon in charge and the High Commission and Mina running amok, they just can't settle down yet. Their village was almost wiped out by the former Monster Expert afterall.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It always freaks me out a bit when I remember that people actually imported their ice from glaciers and frozen lakes hundreds of miles away. The ice trade was such an unfathomable large industry, which completely died due to one invention.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

It always freaks me out a bit when I remember that people actually imported their ice from glaciers and frozen lakes hundreds of miles away. The ice trade was such an unfathomable large industry, which completely died due to one invention.

loving ELSA!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

cant cook creole bream posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm5We9q00Lg

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

1993 was such a different time. :v:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

BioEnchanted posted:

I do like that they explicitly aren't abandoning Star - they are fully supporting her claim to the throne and looking forward to the day when she calls the shots because they feel like they'll finally be safe under her rule. However, with Moon in charge and the High Commission and Mina running amok, they just can't settle down yet. Their village was almost wiped out by the former Monster Expert afterall.

About that: Buffrog basically says, "I'm a Spy. My kids are going to be spies. We're leaving in secret, to an undisclosed location to do spycraft. We'll be back when it's necessary."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just love Katrina's arms. :3:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Did they ever actually formally say she did it though? I was under the impression they were just sick of the bullshit from Mewni and wanted no more of it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I really want to see those kids grown up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shitenshi posted:

Did they ever actually formally say she did it though? I was under the impression they were just sick of the bullshit from Mewni and wanted no more of it.

Seems pretty clear that the thing monsters don't have, like so many persecuted and displaced minority groups in history and present, is certainty; while Star is popular among the monster youth and Buff Frog in particular trusts her, to everyone else she's still the princess of the oppressive Mewmans, and Moon hasn't been changing her policies much except begrudgingly (and the Magic High Commission if anything might be getting worse since the only really nice one died).

Interesting that they have Tom outright say he's half-monster and experiences the same personal discrimination that monsters do (remember a shopkeeper took him for a monster earlier in the season, only hastily relenting when realising he's royalty) showing both the hypocrisy of discrimination and that wealthy minorities have a significantly different experiences, but some commonalities, with poor minorities.

Also funny that the 'demons' really are just a different set of monsters of the same very loose race as the surface ones, just in a different home and culture having successfully convinced the rest of Mewni they're different. (likely in the same fashion as Rich Pigeon; 'because they have money'.)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 18, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Descriptions for the March 31st episodes:

Bam Ui Pati! Ponyhead shuts herself away to watch the finale of her favorite Korean Drama.

Tough Love: Eclipsa and Moon bring Princess Meteora home peacefully after the massive destruction she’s caused.

Another Eclipsa/Moon teamup episode! :hellyeah: Also, apparently "Bam Ui Pati" translates to "Party Night" in Korean.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Seems pretty clear that the thing monsters don't have, like so many persecuted and displaced minority groups in history and present, is certainty; while Star is popular among the monster youth and Buff Frog in particular trusts her, to everyone else she's still the princess of the oppressive Mewmans, and Moon hasn't been changing her policies much except begrudgingly (and the Magic High Commission if anything might be getting worse since the only really nice one died).

Interesting that they have Tom outright say he's half-monster and experiences the same personal discrimination that monsters do (remember a shopkeeper took him for a monster earlier in the season, only hastily relenting when realising he's royalty) showing both the hypocrisy of discrimination and that wealthy minorities have a significantly different experiences, but some commonalities, with poor minorities.

Also funny that the 'demons' really are just a different set of monsters of the same very loose race as the surface ones, just in a different home and culture having successfully convinced the rest of Mewni they're different. (likely in the same fashion as Rich Pigeon; 'because they have money'.)

There were already shades of this in Face the Music and Puddle Defender-just contrast Moon's conduct when she went visit to Lord and Lady Avarius, and when Star took her to hide out with Buff Frog.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Did you skip the upcoming weekend on purpose, because that second one has a large spoiler.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

BioEnchanted posted:

Did you skip the upcoming weekend on purpose, because that second one has a large spoiler.

I've been posting the descriptions as they've been released, which admittedly has been pretty scattershot. For reference, here's the episodes coming out this week:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Two more episode descriptions, this time for the March 24th episodes:

Skooled! Ponyhead returns to St. O’s and finds that the curriculum got tougher.

Booth Buddies: A magical photo booth at a wedding goes on the fritz and captures Star and Marco inside.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/DaronNefcy/status/976619780743376896

:toot:

Also the descriptions for the last two episodes of the season have been released and I'm not even going to copy them here because those be some giant-rear end spoilers.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Yeah, too bad they couldn't follow through and leave the last two episodes a complete mystery.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Oh Marco you poor dumb son of a bitch

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

CATHARSIS

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm enjoying Heinous's gradual transformation into full Meteora, and realisation of just how few allies she really has. Rastagan had better watch his rear end next time he regenerates.

I also liked her minion's final words: "If you wanted my heart, all you had to do was ask. :smith:"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh Marco you poor dumb son of a bitch

Yeah. I was expecting Tom to pick up the photo while Star was in shock. He didn't though, so that bombshell is getting saed for later

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Freeze-frame bonus :

Between that and the blood moon showing up again, anyone who doesn't realize these two are going to end up together is delusional at this point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Huh, surprised we haven't seen more of the use of dimensional cutting devices to break into fortified areas.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Inescapable Duck posted:

Huh, surprised we haven't seen more of the use of dimensional cutting devices to break into fortified areas.

:eng101: If you remember the original Saint Olga's episode, that's what Star tried to do when they went to rescue Pony Head, but couldn't since the building had a crystal that blocked the use dimensional scissors-which Star subsequently blew up, thus preventing the princesses from using it to protect themselves in this episode. Not sure if that was an intentional sort-of-callback, but it'd be neat if it was.

Can I just say though how happy I was to see Rasticore back in full swing (before he got blown up again)? I love that dumb lizard :allears:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Philonius posted:

Freeze-frame bonus :

Between that and the blood moon showing up again, anyone who doesn't realize these two are going to end up together is delusional at this point.

That's an extremely interesting catch. I wonder if Marco will get his own wand at some point.

Its going to happen but I don't really want it to. I wish the show wouldn't lean so heavily into relationship drama's but I get that I'm not the intended audience anyway so bleh.

Ponyhead losing her horn freaked the hell out of me. That's messed up. I think Meteora is probably going to be the villain this season, I don't think she can just come back from that. But I guess we need to wait and see how big of a deal it really is next week.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It's always a treat to hear Alex Hirsch's maniacal old coot voice.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's always a treat to hear Alex Hirsch's maniacal old coot voice.

His voice was so familiar it bugged me all throughout the first viewing, but I placed it instantly the second time. I also double checked the freeze-frame, and the image only changes after Star touches it.

Side note: the theme that plays during Marco's confession is "Thought We'd Never See Each Other," the bit from when the two reunited during "Toffee."

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 24, 2018

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Welp, Tumblr's gonna have a field day with this

Also are we just gonna no-sell Ruberiot and Fool Duke getting married? That was the real bombshell this week.

Benne fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 24, 2018

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I’m getting a little confused about the timeline if Meteora has memories of her monster temple nursery but was handed over to St. Olga as an infant but I also figure this will be resolved somehow.

It was also hard for me to get a clear read on Rasticore’s thoughts— seems like attempting to gracefully bow out of the situation along with some meaningless fluff at the end?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

coronatae posted:

I’m getting a little confused about the timeline if Meteora has memories of her monster temple nursery but was handed over to St. Olga as an infant but I also figure this will be resolved somehow.

It was also hard for me to get a clear read on Rasticore’s thoughts— seems like attempting to gracefully bow out of the situation along with some meaningless fluff at the end?

Point 2: Maybe Rasticore only cared about being Meteora's henchman when she was human because to go along with the Monster/Mewman divide being a race metaphor, he had a Human Fetish - now that she's a monster he's losing interest. Meteora has been talking to his arm as if they were a thing, and the parting speech was clearly mirroring a cowardly attempt at a breakup after all. Maybe it's an attempt at evening out the narrative to avoid the monsters being All Nice Forever and showing that bad behaviour, while worse from the Mewmans, has come from both sides. Although the Mewmans are clearly way worse even with that. The only Monster as bad as a Mewman has been portrayed is Toffee.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Point 2: Maybe Rasticore only cared about being Meteora's henchman when she was human because to go along with the Monster/Mewman divide being a race metaphor, he had a Human Fetish - now that she's a monster he's losing interest. Meteora has been talking to his arm as if they were a thing, and the parting speech was clearly mirroring a cowardly attempt at a breakup after all. Maybe it's an attempt at evening out the narrative to avoid the monsters being All Nice Forever and showing that bad behaviour, while worse from the Mewmans, has come from both sides. Although the Mewmans are clearly way worse even with that. The only Monster as bad as a Mewman has been portrayed is Toffee.

You're thinking about it too hard. Rasticore was only hired to do a single job for Heinous way back when and the reason he's been with her up until now is because he was convalescing. He probably took part in the attack on St. Olga's as one last favor to her before leaving, and everything that came out of his mouth at the end was an attempt to let her down easy because she is way, WAY too intense for him.

coronatae posted:

The MHC probably captured both Eclipsa and Meteora at the Monster Temple after Eclipsa ran off with her monster lover. They took Eclipsa to Rhombulus' collection after that but brought Meteora to Shastican so he could decide what to do about her. That doesn't explain how Meteora would recognize her nursery, but...monster biology? Rule of Drama? It seems less like a clue and more like an oversight the creators would wave off as unimportant.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Otoh, Meteora seems to be totally crazy and dangerous, even for Monster standards

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Otoh, Meteora seems to be totally crazy and dangerous, even for Monster standards

People abused as children have a tendency to wind up dangerous as they grow older, yeah. It's going to be the most Sailor Moon thing ever if this season ends a climatic final battle that Eclipsa finishes by hugging the poo poo out of her daughter.

Also, that goblin guy in the second part was the best.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Benne posted:

Welp, Tumblr's gonna have a field day with this

Also are we just gonna no-sell Ruberiot and Fool Duke getting married? That was the real bombshell this week.

That was a great reveal. I'm always a little surprised when they get Patrick Stump back to do Ruberiot but it's always great.

coronatae posted:

I think Rasticore realized he was way, way in over his head and was trying to say anything and everything that came to mind to find a way out. (and I mean really, can you blame him)

Also is it just me, or does it seem like the more monstrous Heinous becomes, the younger she appears?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also is it just me, or does it seem like the more monstrous Heinous becomes, the younger she appears?

Not just you, and it isn't even that surprising. Presuming all her brainwashing and conditioning has been to make her suppress her monstrous and magical heritage- and it's exactly that heritage that makes her so powerful and so long-lived- then it's not surprising she regains her youth and vitality along with her strength and power.

Also, lol that subverted rhyme about the tail.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
Not really spoiler, but I really like that Kelly is becoming a more involved character. I like her design and more chill attitude, and I think having someone like that makes a good counterbalance for the amount of energy the rest of them put out. Plus her little side thing in the latest one is way cute~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Not really spoiler, but I really like that Kelly is becoming a more involved character. I like her design and more chill attitude, and I think having someone like that makes a good counterbalance for the amount of energy the rest of them put out. Plus her little side thing in the latest one is way cute~

so, just to make sure, but Marco and Kelly are an official couple right?