Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Running storm king's thunder now as a first-time DM and...the entire first act is kinda left up to the DM. They give you a quick intro-adventure that gets you to level 5, and opening scenario with a few quest hooks, and then a huge list of "locations in the north" and it's up to the DM to make them care. I took material from other places, made up my own stuff, and learned a bunch along the way, but overall the book wasn't much help for a good chunk of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

a) challenge them to be good roleplayers by openly rolling for something they don't know about and tell them they have to ignore it if they question it
b) do fake rolls all throughout every session to obfuscate when the real rolls happen. i'm a fan of this one

the loving worst

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Glagha posted:

I know, I played 4e. I still weep openly as I run my fingers over the warlord page in my PHB.

Thing is Damage on a miss and Murder Dice were things that Fighters got in the first couple 5e playtest packets. Two schools of feedback emerged at this time.

Goons and similar thinkers were using the playtest to point out recursive math loops and design holes, you know, the way every sane QA pffice approaches testing games.

The other school of critique was to yell that Fighters Getting Things was WoW poo poo for babies and that the game should be more like "classic"(read: 3.X) D&D.

Guess which pool Mearls pulled his consultants from and which were banned from talking about the game online.

Which is probably why this thread is so salty now. A lot of the harder edge critics that give 5e 0 slack here are like that because the playtest was more about courting PF fans back to WoTC than it was about making a functional game.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Getting hold of a 5E module is probably easiest, so I'd recommend Storm King's Thunder. From what I've read it's a very solid adventure, and requires less prep than something like Tombs of Annihilation/Curse of Strahd/Tales From the Yawning Portal.

I've been playing in a Yawning Portal campaign. The DM says it's pretty great prep-wise since all the adventures are self-contained and well designed, but you would need to homebrew how each adventure flows into the next.

Yawning Portal I always saw as a bunch of modules to fit into other campaigns, not a book to run through cover to cover. I have a few dungeons in my current big game that just pull the layout/materials/general theme from TYP with tweaks to difficulty made for the party level.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Nephzinho posted:

Yawning Portal I always saw as a bunch of modules to fit into other campaigns, not a book to run through cover to cover. I have a few dungeons in my current big game that just pull the layout/materials/general theme from TYP with tweaks to difficulty made for the party level.

I agree with this unless you group is solely interested in dungeon crawling. We tried it but got bored halfway through.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just don't understand the mindset that makes people declare fighters should obey the laws of physics in a universe where nothing else does.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't understand the mindset that makes people declare fighters should obey the laws of physics in a universe where nothing else does.

an obsession with simulating the rules of physics in an elfgame

EDIT: also nerd elitism

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The underdark alone violates so many laws of geology.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

"Some people don't want to make anything complex and just want to hit things with their sword."

"What? No, not me, never me, I'm on my third Sorcerer/Warlock/Paladin gestalt hybrid."

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Also "laws of physics" means "what an out of shape person thinks a dude with armor and a sword can do" which usually amounts to the most unimpressive of poo poo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

Also "laws of physics" means "what an out of shape person thinks a dude with armor and a sword can do" which usually amounts to the most unimpressive of poo poo

Guys I can't carry the groceries up the stairs so people in plate armor need a penalty.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
The other day I put a random Nerf gun from the. HVZ closet on my work lanyard and tried to snap it to and from my wrist in a fit of nostalgia.

It's like super easy if you use anything that's not a .3 oz plastic mouse and a rigid cable

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Getting hold of a 5E module is probably easiest, so I'd recommend Storm King's Thunder. From what I've read it's a very solid adventure, and requires less prep than something like Tombs of Annihilation/Curse of Strahd/Tales From the Yawning Portal.

I've been playing in a Yawning Portal campaign. The DM says it's pretty great prep-wise since all the adventures are self-contained and well designed, but you would need to homebrew how each adventure flows into the next.

SKT has a lot of freedom in it, but run Phandelver to get to level 5 as they recommend in the book. The starting scenario is mega rushed and awkward.

I highly recommend the guide on Dm's guild for SKT if your interested in running it. I don't have a link off hand but the pdf is pay what you want. It was so useful I had bought it for 0 not knowing if it would be useful, read it and went back to pay $10 for it.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Most of the guys I know who like "plain" martial classes like the idea of being that Batman like guy who doesn't need to supernatural powers to be a badass.

The rule set should have enough flexibility to allow both the "Just a well trained dude at the peak of (meta-)human performance" and the more fantastic styles. Which 5e really doesn't deliver on.

Mendrian posted:

"Some people don't want to make anything complex and just want to hit things with their sword."

"What? No, not me, never me, I'm on my third Sorcerer/Warlock/Paladin gestalt hybrid."

Death to multi-classing.

Xae fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 24, 2018

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Man, I'm kinda finding it hilarious that you guys are using 4e as a game where fighters got narrative powers. Literally nobody got useful narrative abilities when I stopped playing 4e, the game where you can't even smash an object without arguing with the DM. The game was so terrified of giving players any kind of noncombat ability that familars got special rules where they couldn't interact with anything and fighter "utility" powers were just various forms of buffs (as opposed to hacking through walls or performing awesome feats of strength).

Anyway, onto fighter chat, we're never gotta get a cool fighter because D&D has always been incoherent and is held together by nostalgia and identifying as a D&D player rather than actually analyzing the rules. So let's do that.

Fighter was never meant to be a bigboy class: A few years back I got to play 1e for a session with E Gary Gygax. If you've ever played 1e, what immediately jumps out is that the paladin and the ranger can do everything a fighter can, but better and the drawback was that you had to roll better stats. Thieves were pretty much useless. Yea, they attempted to fix this with weapon specialization and whatnot, but at the end of the day the fighter didn't do much besides autoattack and the wizard had a whole pile of weird poo poo they could do. They got castles and followers and cool stuff, but I've never seen anyone actually implement this in a D&D game.

High levels didn't exist: As much as some posters here enjoy discussing the ultimate power of the 3.5 wizard, he's really not that great at low levels. I asked Gygax what high level fighters had originally been intended to do - and got the answer that people really didn't play at high levels. People end up not playing high level D&D because it becomes stupid -> game designers decide not to care about it -> repeat indefinitely. Sure, the 3.5 low level mage can do a bunch of stuff indefinitely, but for social interaction or sneaking you're going to bring a rogue, because Diplomacy is better than every mind control spell in the game (short of maybe Mind Rape). This isn't to say that 3.5 spellcasters don't become loving bonkers nuts after about level 5-7 (depending on class), but an invisibility spell at 3rd level is a web you're not preparing, and you sure as poo poo aren't taking scorching ray because the fighter in the party can probably deal more damage than that while spending no resources whatsoever. The reason we can't go Augean stables on fools at high level is because high level was not very well thought out, and I'd bet dollars to donuts all the high level crazy wizard poo poo was intended to be NPC-only.

Really, the bigger problem with fighter is that no one - even in this thread - can articulate what the hell they are supposed to do out of combat, and so when people post lists of poo poo like "take half damage" or "save or dies" that doesn't fix poo poo. You could build fighters who exploded higher level opponents in one round in 3.X. It's not hard or interesting, you stack all the charge damage multipliers, or Robilar's Gambit/AoOs, or go more controllery and start spamming trips. Sure, you can kill things - even better than most wizards - but you're still just kinda sitting out the noncombat encounters waiting for somebody to cast teleport.

Really, killing the rogue class, folding it into the fighter, and giving the result level appropriate abilities like feats of strength or guile that really could just be refluffed spells (Odysseus sneaks so good we just say he invisible!) would go a long way toward fixing all of this.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Man, I'm kinda finding it hilarious that you guys are using 4e as a game where fighters got narrative powers. Literally nobody got useful narrative abilities when I stopped playing 4e, the game where you can't even smash an object without arguing with the DM. The game was so terrified of giving players any kind of noncombat ability that familars got special rules where they couldn't interact with anything and fighter "utility" powers were just various forms of buffs (as opposed to hacking through walls or performing awesome feats of strength).

Anyway, onto fighter chat, we're never gotta get a cool fighter because D&D has always been incoherent and is held together by nostalgia and identifying as a D&D player rather than actually analyzing the rules. So let's do that.

Fighter was never meant to be a bigboy class: A few years back I got to play 1e for a session with E Gary Gygax. If you've ever played 1e, what immediately jumps out is that the paladin and the ranger can do everything a fighter can, but better and the drawback was that you had to roll better stats. Thieves were pretty much useless. Yea, they attempted to fix this with weapon specialization and whatnot, but at the end of the day the fighter didn't do much besides autoattack and the wizard had a whole pile of weird poo poo they could do. They got castles and followers and cool stuff, but I've never seen anyone actually implement this in a D&D game.

High levels didn't exist: As much as some posters here enjoy discussing the ultimate power of the 3.5 wizard, he's really not that great at low levels. I asked Gygax what high level fighters had originally been intended to do - and got the answer that people really didn't play at high levels. People end up not playing high level D&D because it becomes stupid -> game designers decide not to care about it -> repeat indefinitely. Sure, the 3.5 low level mage can do a bunch of stuff indefinitely, but for social interaction or sneaking you're going to bring a rogue, because Diplomacy is better than every mind control spell in the game (short of maybe Mind Rape). This isn't to say that 3.5 spellcasters don't become loving bonkers nuts after about level 5-7 (depending on class), but an invisibility spell at 3rd level is a web you're not preparing, and you sure as poo poo aren't taking scorching ray because the fighter in the party can probably deal more damage than that while spending no resources whatsoever. The reason we can't go Augean stables on fools at high level is because high level was not very well thought out, and I'd bet dollars to donuts all the high level crazy wizard poo poo was intended to be NPC-only.

Really, the bigger problem with fighter is that no one - even in this thread - can articulate what the hell they are supposed to do out of combat, and so when people post lists of poo poo like "take half damage" or "save or dies" that doesn't fix poo poo. You could build fighters who exploded higher level opponents in one round in 3.X. It's not hard or interesting, you stack all the charge damage multipliers, or Robilar's Gambit/AoOs, or go more controllery and start spamming trips. Sure, you can kill things - even better than most wizards - but you're still just kinda sitting out the noncombat encounters waiting for somebody to cast teleport.

Really, killing the rogue class, folding it into the fighter, and giving the result level appropriate abilities like feats of strength or guile that really could just be refluffed spells (Odysseus sneaks so good we just say he invisible!) would go a long way toward fixing all of this.

Combining rogue and fighter is not a bad idea.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Nobody said 4e fighters got narrative shaping power. They're saying everyone was on the same playing field because no one did.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

mango sentinel posted:

Nobody said 4e fighters got narrative shaping power. They're saying everyone was on the same playing field because no one did.

Fair, but that's still terrible.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Man, I'm kinda finding it hilarious that you guys are using 4e as a game where fighters got narrative powers. Literally nobody got useful narrative abilities when I stopped playing 4e, the game where you can't even smash an object without arguing with the DM.

Could you not end that argument by reading pages 65 and 66 of the DMG and following the rules you found there?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Whoa now, let's not be derailing arguments about 4E with facts or citations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

One of the cleverer things 2e did was make fighters not just a dumb guy with a sharp stick but a martial prodigy and natural leader. At 9(?)th level they received a keep and a couple of platoons of troops as a class feature.

Playing up the military nature of fighters by giving them bonuses with along those lines would help out.

The Fighter could get bonuses when persuading members of military and para-military organizations. They could get abilities to rally people to assist their cause.

Smashing Link posted:

Combining rogue and fighter is not a bad idea.

From a balance perspective, sure. From both a class fantasy and a rules perspective it is a complete nightmare. The better solution is to take another nerfbat to high level magic and buff up the martial classes a bit.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

AlphaDog posted:

Could you not end that argument by reading pages 65 and 66 of the DMG and following the rules you found there?

Certainly, once we figure out how that interacts with page 2 of the PHB errata where you get to argue whether or not your powers can target objects at all.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I find it hilarious that all you scrubs who didn't play 1e with Gygax like me have complaints about a game that just intentionally wasn't designed very well :smug:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

You can't use any abilities outside combat in 5th ed, because using abilities requires you to take an action, and the only thing that gives you an action is starting your turn during a round, and the only thing that starts a round is combat.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Nobody can articulate what a fighter is supposed to do!

Literally pages of speculation.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mendrian posted:

Nobody can articulate what a fighter is supposed to do!

Literally pages of speculation.

The God Lord of D&D decreed in 1972 that the fighter is supposed to be Not Good and subsequent editions have had no choice but to bow to this decree :jerkbag:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
-Hey, Lisa, you know what would be better than "nothing"?

-What?

-ANYTHING

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

That's...not what I meant to say.

What I'm saying is that while we all might have a vision of what we want the fighter to look like (actually competent with a dope bag of tricks out of combat) the actual vision that has been passed down by the incestuous group of D&D designers is a vague clusterfuck of being boring and lovely, and to actually get past somebody needs to throw away all the old stuff and figure out what this drat class is supposed to do. Is he supposed to be a lord who can call on political connections and military force to get things done? Is he a hero of legend who can smite mountains and bring them down? Is he for some reason a random genericman who is adventuring with literal god(plz no)? No two people seem to have the same vision of this guy, because "a guy who fights" literally describes every class in the game.

The fact that nobody actually can come up with a common viable alternative for this class is why we get Buhlman and Mearls throwing together a boring and inadequate pile of numbers, and charging you 50 bucks while they inflate the dragons' stats.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

What I'm saying is that while we all might have a vision of what we want the fighter to look like (actually competent with a dope bag of tricks out of combat) the actual vision that has been passed down by the incestuous group of D&D designers is a vague clusterfuck of being boring and lovely, and to actually get past somebody needs to throw away all the old stuff and figure out what this drat class is supposed to do. Is he supposed to be a lord who can call on political connections and military force to get things done? Is he a hero of legend who can smite mountains and bring them down? Is he for some reason a random genericman who is adventuring with literal god(plz no)? No two people seem to have the same vision of this guy, because "a guy who fights" literally describes every class in the game.

The fact that nobody actually can come up with a common viable alternative for this class is why we get Buhlman and Mearls throwing together a boring and inadequate pile of numbers, and charging you 50 bucks while they inflate the dragons' stats.

Okay, that's fair.

Lack of focus is a problem with pretty much all of D&D. The Wizard has the exact same problem, but in the opposite direction; because he has no focus, they decide he can do anything! There's real no reason why magic must work as a grab bag of unrelated abilities aside from ~tradition~; a 'Wizard' might be a strict elementalist or even a strict Pyromancer, but we've decided that's not how magic works.

I mean, "Fighter as group leader and veteran unit captain" seems the most obvious niche.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

To me, the three obvious archetypes are:

Master of skill-at-arms: Not just "hits hard", but can pull off amazing trick moves with any weapon, with no weapons, with weird combinations like two swords and a halberd, or with stuff that you wouldn't even believe could be used as a weapon.

Heroic leader: Amazing tactician, inspires confidence in others and can push them beyond their limits. Takes to the field with a small group of skilled soldiers with teamwork so perfect they could be one person.

Mythic Warrior: Does poo poo that just shouldn't be possible, like strike at a group of 9 men, killing 8 with a single blow and leaving the middle man standing. Claims his mentor wrestled a river once.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

This is fair and I was probably being overly snarky, so sorry about that.

One thing I want to point out tho is that a lot of the stuff you were saying I have already seen discussed in this thread/forum. I started in 3e and kind of ignored other editions and greater meta-D&D discussion up until me and my group had played for several years and I had started to see the seams of the system. So I came to this subforum and started reading up and learned about a bunch of the stuff you outlined: some of Gygax's early fears about the game becoming the "weird Wizard show", the fact that the Fighter started out as the Fighting Man and the Ranger and Paladin were specifically upgrades that you got for rolling higher stats, the lack of high level support basically in any edition (although from stuff I've read here BECMI might have been better about that?) etc.

So I totally get where you're coming from and I think a lot of people here already do, so that's why got kind of annoyed at the idea that nobody has thought of this stuff. I think there's a big anvil named "tradition" hanging over the head of every edition and most people here know that, they're just trying to 1) vent about the fact that good game design has to take a backseat to 40 years of momentum, and 2) hopefully try and convince some people that this is not an ideal state of affairs and theory craft about what can fix it (whether trying out different games like Dungeon World or design their own like Strike! or even just get a posse of like-minded people to hopefully steer future generations of the game in the right direction)

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Guy A. Person posted:

This is fair and I was probably being overly snarky, so sorry about that.

One thing I want to point out tho is that a lot of the stuff you were saying I have already seen discussed in this thread/forum. I started in 3e and kind of ignored other editions and greater meta-D&D discussion up until me and my group had played for several years and I had started to see the seams of the system. So I came to this subforum and started reading up and learned about a bunch of the stuff you outlined: some of Gygax's early fears about the game becoming the "weird Wizard show", the fact that the Fighter started out as the Fighting Man and the Ranger and Paladin were specifically upgrades that you got for rolling higher stats, the lack of high level support basically in any edition (although from stuff I've read here BECMI might have been better about that?) etc.

So I totally get where you're coming from and I think a lot of people here already do, so that's why got kind of annoyed at the idea that nobody has thought of this stuff. I think there's a big anvil named "tradition" hanging over the head of every edition and most people here know that, they're just trying to 1) vent about the fact that good game design has to take a backseat to 40 years of momentum, and 2) hopefully try and convince some people that this is not an ideal state of affairs and theory craft about what can fix it (whether trying out different games like Dungeon World or design their own like Strike! or even just get a posse of like-minded people to hopefully steer future generations of the game in the right direction)

Yeah, I think we're on the same page and I didn't elucidate very well. The Gygax stuff I just thought would be interesting in the vein of "I asked one of the guys who invented the game with this stuff in it, and even he didn't have an answer" rather than one true wayism.

So yeah, chalk me up as yet another sad person who just wants Sir Lancelot to actually be good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tendales posted:

-Hey, Lisa, you know what would be better than "nothing"?

-What?

-ANYTHING

Now we know this is not true. It's been repeated in this forum multiple times that no gaming is better then bad gaming. So in that case nothing is better.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is he for some reason a random genericman who is adventuring with literal god(plz no)?
See, this would actually be fine, because it's not about making the character as powerful as the other characters, it's about giving the players equivalent narrative control. FATE derived games handle this by having godpowers come out of your refresh, which means less fate points. You could take the fighter as is but have it come with X storypoints per long rest, which allow the player to make (codified) declarations about things. The Wizard can cast Wish to duplicate spell X, but the Fighter's player can spend a point to find a scroll of spell X. The Wizard can banish the summoned demon to the abyss, but the Fighter's player can say "Oh hey, Warlock? You know this guy. Looks familiar. You think he owes you a favour."

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

This is what I did in 2e eventually. Rogues were comprised of abilities swapping into the main fighter class that gained rogue things and lost weapon/armor things. (I.e. they gained a pile of nonweapon proficiencies , their thief skills, sneak attack, but they did not get access to the weapon mastery system, exceptional strength, etc etc.) Being moved to fighter xp tables meant they didnt race up the levels ladder, but being moved to fighter to-hit and hit points meant it did not matter.

Rebalancing shouldnt be too hard if the game is recompressed to 3 main classes (Warrior, Wizard, Priest) to strart off, and everything else is built as a subclass (or specialization, or whatever) of those afterwards.

If you also go back to TSR style multiclassing (or none at all) that fixes a huge amount of bullshit that game along with the 3e sorcerer/warlock poo poo.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Can I ask what the normal scenario where you only have them roll when they might be spotted is? I assume it's something like, they have perfect knowledge of where the enemy is and only need to roll specifically when they are about to do something that would alert them, like sneak past the open room they are all congregating in. Still this seems to me to preclude having some hidden lookout in the trees or whatever, since like you said they would know someone is observing as soon as you called for the roll. I think ambiguity is the better option here.

So the idea is like you're in the woods and you know there have been goblins here. You declare your intent to be quiet and we assume everyone is trying to do that. But we're not gonna bother rolling dice unless there's something that can spot you. So maybe you spot a small encampment with a little fire and you have to sort of edge past it. That's when we'd break out the dice.

The situation I'm worried about is maybe there's a cold camp on the periphery and the party and the camp are mutually unaware. If I tell them to roll stealth and they didn't know there was someone out there, they do now.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

See, this would actually be fine, because it's not about making the character as powerful as the other characters, it's about giving the players equivalent narrative control. FATE derived games handle this by having godpowers come out of your refresh, which means less fate points. You could take the fighter as is but have it come with X storypoints per long rest, which allow the player to make (codified) declarations about things. The Wizard can cast Wish to duplicate spell X, but the Fighter's player can spend a point to find a scroll of spell X. The Wizard can banish the summoned demon to the abyss, but the Fighter's player can say "Oh hey, Warlock? You know this guy. Looks familiar. You think he owes you a favour."

You get two planning slots at first level, and you get more planning slots as you level up at the rate of 2/level. Your planning slots refresh daily.

Spend a planning slot (no action) no more than once per turn. When you spend a planning point, it turns out you planned for this exact situation. Your plan may not rely on spellcasting, but may rely on spellcasters or on the same kind of not-magic-but-magic that lets dragons fly and flumphs exist. Describe how your plan helps you out.

e:

Alternatively, as above but it's 2/day forever, takes an action, and reads "describe how you singlehandedly won this encounter".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 24, 2018

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Dunno if this is dumb or missing the point, but could you pre roll a bunch of numbers and just use them in order to simulate a roll?
Would still be random because it's the PC's actions that determines when the list is used, and the PC's probably won't notice you crossing a number off.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Running storm king's thunder now as a first-time DM and...the entire first act is kinda left up to the DM. They give you a quick intro-adventure that gets you to level 5, and opening scenario with a few quest hooks, and then a huge list of "locations in the north" and it's up to the DM to make them care. I took material from other places, made up my own stuff, and learned a bunch along the way, but overall the book wasn't much help for a good chunk of it.

I wish I could have warned you off it. It's one of the less well regarded modules in terms of the nuts and bolts of running it and the complaints universally seem to be that they expect you to freeform way more than is reasonable for a pre-written adventure path, and that players feel obligated to continue only because they know that they'll level up until they can fight giants -- something that doesn't really make sense for the actual characters. You're jumping in at level 1 and expected to deal with a civil war between ancient, fabulously wealthy creatures who all have like 20+ STR and you're a pissant dirt-farmer. It really demands too much of the GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

FRINGE posted:

If you also go back to TSR style multiclassing (or none at all) that fixes a huge amount of bullshit that game along with the 3e sorcerer/warlock poo poo.
A huge part of the martial/caster disparity is based on legacy, but I think 3e style multiclassing is a huge driver of it as well.

The martial classes feel like they're super conservative because they're worried someone is going to find some munchkin combination that completely break the game. Ignoring that casters already do that by default ofcourse. Look at the language around extra attacks for an example.

They either need to abolish it or mandate the classes stay 1 level apart until 20 when you can go 11/9 to pick up the level 11 mini-capstones.

Xae fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 24, 2018