Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Possible Vinland Saga op?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKRbi2ovDY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
OHHHHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT VINLAND SAGAAAAAAAAAA

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:stare:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

:3:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I knowwwwwwwwwwww

AS for the end of the chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

e: also literally every Floki plan ever

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 24, 2018

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

That last panel expression has never been so right. :stare:

I'd take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbWc3NPpXTQ&t=34s

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 24, 2018

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Die-die, you stupid dice-head.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Oh, hello old friend! We have so much catching up to do, and how nice of you to bring me a sword!

Hahaha, I love everything about this, it's perfect.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 24, 2018

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
next chapter: end of second prologue

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's been so long I have absolutely no idea how Floki was involved in Thors' death.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Sindai posted:

It's been so long I have absolutely no idea how Floki was involved in Thors' death.

He hired Askeladd.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sindai posted:

He told Thors the Jomsvikings wanted him back and wouldn't take no for an answer after discovering Thors had faked his death. This was total BS and the Jomsvikings had no idea Thors was still alive. Floki paid Askeladd to kill Thors for him in an ambush, Askeladd theorises that Floki was worried about so many losses he wouldn't be able to hid what he had done from the leader of the Jomsvikings. Presumably Floki did this for the same reason he's trying to have Thorfinn killed etc., to stake his claim and his grandson's claim as leader of Jomsburg.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Pewdiepie posted:

He hired Askeladd.

This. To elaborate, Thors was a Joms leader and married to the chief's daughter, so he could have been a pretender to chiefdom when the chief bit it, so Floki decided to get rid of him.

That's also why Thorfinn got involved in this: he's Thors' son, and grandson of the former chief, so a faction within the Joms wants to make him the new chief.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
It's nice to see Vinland Saga is finally getting a show. Surprised to see that it took that long for it to happen. Seemed like it had a consistent level of popularity and also seems like a really easy sell abroad as well, given the subject matter. (Although, I'm not sure how often studios take international interest/sales into account.) Hopefully it's good! Also, maybe I'll start the comic back up. I was enjoying it a while back but just sort of stopped. Probably just got busy with other things I guess.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Allegedly everything announced in that bunch of announcements is going through Amazon Prime, so it's unlikely Funimation will be involved.

Is Amazon actually contributing any money to the production itself or just bringing it over? (Only ask since I know Netflix will sometimes contribute cash to shows for exclusive rights, etc...)

Bro Dad posted:

This is really good and I teared up a lil at the ending, would recommend

Glad to see you liked it! My word-soup of a recommendation doesn't sell it well enough in retrospect, but it really is a good read and a nice, surprisingly intimate, take on a well known story.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I have no idea. Maybe? Probably not, though.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

What a chapter. After so much time, we finally see Sigurd realizing that Gudrid is kind of terrible and he should just go home.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hypocrisy posted:

What a chapter. After so much time, we finally see Sigurd realizing that Gudrid is kind of terrible and he should just go home.
lmfao gudrid isn't terrible, the gently caress is wrong with you

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

lmfao gudrid isn't terrible, the gently caress is wrong with you

She's great, but she would be terrible for Sigurd (since she doesn't like him, among other reasons). Let her marry someone she's a good fit with. Like Thorfinn, or, assuming he is dead, God.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Thorfinn will marry Einar and Other Thorfinn will marry Gudrid.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chiasaur11 posted:

She's great, but she would be terrible for Sigurd (since she doesn't like him, among other reasons). Let her marry someone she's a good fit with. Like Thorfinn, or, assuming he is dead, God.
oh absolutely, gudrid is the worst match for him, but herself is anything but terrible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Arte has been updating recently and it's so loving good.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Arte has been updating recently and it's so loving good.

I happened to pick a chapter which implied that Florentine painters had their own in the early 16th Century instead of being members of the physicians' guild. Complete trash.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I happened to pick a chapter which implied that Florentine painters had their own in the early 16th Century instead of being members of the physicians' guild. Complete trash.

Having a few anachronisms doesn't make anything trash.

Seriously, the manga is really good, despite Florentine Painters having their own guild before they did historically.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Having a few anachronisms doesn't make anything trash.

Seriously, the manga is really good, despite Florentine Painters having their own guild before they did historically.

The level of betrayal I felt when Arte anachronistically featured a Florentine painters' guild tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. It tore away my ability to respect anything, and it tore away my ability to feel human.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The level of betrayal I felt when Arte anachronistically featured a Florentine painters' guild tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. It tore away my ability to respect anything, and it tore away my ability to feel human.

Oh poo poo, man, that sounds really bad. I'm sorry that happened to you! I mean it seems like a fairly extreme reaction but even so, I hope you get through okay. Remember to keep up hope! Thoughts and prayers.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Somehow I missed Arte, and the discussion about it, entirely. I'll chalk it up to being really distracted with work stuff recently! Seems like it could be right up my alley so I'll give it a shot. Thanks thread!

Also, I know it was said in jest, but I do think there are certain types of stories, or contexts/instances within stories, where ahistoricism or anachronism can be detrimental. The aforementioned example doesn't seem to be one of those, but there are definitely ones that would've been more interesting/entertaining if they drew more from history rather than popular or longstanding narratives and conceptions of the particular era in question.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

a computing pun posted:

Oh poo poo, man, that sounds really bad. I'm sorry that happened to you! I mean it seems like a fairly extreme reaction but even so, I hope you get through okay. Remember to keep up hope! Thoughts and prayers.

Look up Aztec invasions...

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Munin posted:

Look up Aztec invasions...

You're gonna have to narrow that down for me.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

This was just posted in the "Convince to Read" thread, and it's been really good so far!
Set during Imperial China (it's not explicit, but I'm getting a Tang Dynasty vibe), it follows a pharmacist girl whose ended up as an attendent in the imperial harem (it's all SFW).

Saladore posted:

Kusuriya no Hitorigoto

Shrewd apothecary girl does interesting stuff in an imperial harem. Fun art.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Are they dropping subtle hints throughout that series that the girl has been reincarnated/travelled through time or am I crazy?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's just that she is written almost exactly like an isekai protagonist.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

archduke.iago posted:

This was just posted in the "Convince to Read" thread, and it's been really good so far!
Set during Imperial China (it's not explicit, but I'm getting a Tang Dynasty vibe), it follows a pharmacist girl whose ended up as an attendent in the imperial harem (it's all SFW).

Been finding a lot of stuff in this thread recently and that looks like another fun. Thanks for sharing the post from the other thread!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You're gonna have to narrow that down for me.

I think I remember something like that happening in Crusader Kings II?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fire Barrel posted:

Been finding a lot of stuff in this thread recently and that looks like another fun. Thanks for sharing the post from the other thread!

I think I remember something like that happening in Crusader Kings II?

It's a Paradox forums joke, an over-the-top fan reaction to an ahistorical optional DLC that has Aztecs invading Europe from the West in the 14th century.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the art is very pretty and she's shrewd and authoritative as hell but its a tad over the top for her to have her develop fingerprinting?

anyway if you want another story about someone having incongruously advanced knowledge sent back in time, try out jin (edo-meiji transition, surgeon) or nobunaga's chef (sengoku, chef)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Phobophilia posted:

the art is very pretty and she's shrewd and authoritative as hell but its a tad over the top for her to have her develop fingerprinting?

anyway if you want another story about someone having incongruously advanced knowledge sent back in time, try out jin (edo-meiji transition, surgeon) or nobunaga's chef (sengoku, chef)

In total fairness: she hasn't, quite. She hasn't figured out the whole 'fingerprints can identify a specific person' bit, just the 'fingerprints exist' bit. Telling that it was four different people was a bit much, tho, from that.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Despite being a bit of a stretch to say the least, I didn't really mind the finger printing despite its anachronism. Heck, depending on when it's actually set, something as simple as the presence of cocoa beans would be ahistorical. All that said, I've really enjoyed what I've read thus far and look forward to reading more!

DrSunshine posted:

It's a Paradox forums joke, an over-the-top fan reaction to an ahistorical optional DLC that has Aztecs invading Europe from the West in the 14th century.

Ah.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Fingerprints were being used as a "seal" in China as far back as 200 BC.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I’m sure they’ve always been used to identify if you’re a human or a werewolf

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The forensics is kind of silly but what matters is that Mao is very cool and good also bug is totally the Emperor's brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm guessing kidnapping was pretty common in imperial china given how nonchalant Mao is about it. In that chinagame we all used to play before one of the activities was just kidnapping people and selling them for currency so I guess it holds up