Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

My wife is a muay thai kickboxer and I, and her, have had to be interviewed on more than one occasion because some busybody in the FRG made a complaint about her having bruises.

not the same thing but my mom got interviews by someone at my middle school because i would fall down a lot as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

My wife is a muay thai kickboxer and I, and her, have had to be interviewed on more than one occasion because some busybody in the FRG made a complaint about her having bruises.

Ha, when I was a late teen, there was a married 20s/30s couple that joined my martial arts school, and they'd routinely get interviewed for the same reason. It was especially funny, because they were both dentists who required their hands to be in good condition to work, so they'd sometimes just drop blocks they could've made with their hands and instead take a shot to the face. This apparently led to them both being asked about DV after a bout of sparring where they both left with pretty decent strikes to the face taken, but zero defense injuries, because they didn't want to have to cancel appointments.

If I didn't know for a fact that they were dentists, I'd suspect they just had a weird face-smashing fetish.

E: just realized the irony of that last sentence :stare:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Ha, when I was a late teen, there was a married 20s/30s couple that joined my martial arts school, and they'd routinely get interviewed for the same reason. It was especially funny, because they were both dentists who required their hands to be in good condition to work, so they'd sometimes just drop blocks they could've made with their hands and instead take a shot to the face. This apparently led to them both being asked about DV after a bout of sparring where they both left with pretty decent strikes to the face taken, but zero defense injuries, because they didn't want to have to cancel appointments.

If I didn't know for a fact that they were dentists, I'd suspect they just had a weird face-smashing fetish.

E: just realized the irony of that last sentence :stare:

Smashing faces is good. Martial arts is good too.

I just do jiu jitsu because I'm a big baby and don't want to be hit.

On that note, it's weird as hell to know a woman who knows how to legit fight. Like, just playing around with my wife I instantly recognize that she could absolutely gently caress me up and she's being super easy on me.

Is jiu jitsu big on base where you guys are? It seems like there's a poo poo ton of guys in my office who do it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If they are dentists then fixing up teeth is cheap.

So is nitrous to take the edge off a broken nose or whatever.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

frgs are cancer

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

boop the snoot posted:

not the same thing but my mom got interviews by someone at my middle school because i would fall down a lot as a kid.

My dad told me a story while he was here. Apparently, I gave my brother a black eye and told him that I’d make it worse if he told anyone. So at school, when he was confronted about it, told everyone his father had done it. Instead of his brother.

Cue CPS getting called and my dad and mom getting pulled from work to come explain themselves. They were pissed at me and called me into the office to explain myself.

I’m sure I’ll deal with that soon. I have 3 sons all within 4 years of age.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

spacetoaster posted:

I just do jiu jitsu because I'm a big baby and don't want to be hit.

Pretty sure I'd rather be hit than have something dislocated.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Pretty sure I'd rather be hit than have something dislocated.

I haven't had that happen, and I haven't seen it happen either. I'm not saying it couldn't, but if you've got a good instructor they're going to try and prevent that kind of thing from happening. Happening.

Repetitive blows to the head are pretty bad though.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i wanna do the crazy poo poo that donnie yen did in ip man.

or this crazy poo poo donnie yen did in kill zone, which is probably the most badass fight scene ever in my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUpiQ-kTNPg

not sure i've ever seen better fight choreography.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Brutal as gently caress, but that scene in Ip Man where he takes apart the ten karate masters is a hard act to follow.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

spacetoaster posted:

My wife is a hockey goalie and she also has a mild bleeding disorder that makes her bruise really easily. There have been a number of occasions that she had to spend a considerable amount of time talking doctors out of having me arrested because she'd have bruises on her inner thighs (and elsewhere) from hockey pucks.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bell_ posted:

Brutal as gently caress, but that scene in Ip Man where he takes apart the ten karate masters is a hard act to follow.

That scene sucks so bad. It's inconsistent as to whether the black belts are assholes who'll attack while Ip was occupied or would dance around for 20 loving seconds while Ip does bad rolling punches.

Like it started so strong and I was like :fry: when he snapped homies leg, but it just annoyed me as internally inconsistent on an otherwise great movie.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

boop the snoot posted:

i wanna do the crazy poo poo that donnie yen did in ip man.

or this crazy poo poo donnie yen did in kill zone, which is probably the most badass fight scene ever in my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUpiQ-kTNPg

not sure i've ever seen better fight choreography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwz950csXM0

i love this scene from ip man 2

mostly because sammo hung hops up at the end and loving owns

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I feel like there is always some minor shine just dulled a tiny bit off Donnie Yen knowing he spent his early teen years getting in fights in Boston's Combat Zone, where it is basically a medical certainty someone yelled at him "gently caress that guy up Donnie" in a thick Boston accent.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwz950csXM0

i love this scene from ip man 2

mostly because sammo hung hops up at the end and loving owns

Yeah that fight owns. It's difficult for me to nail down which fight from the Ip Man series is my favorite, but that one is definitely up there.

But the fight with Wu Jing just has something extra that I can't really identify that puts it over the top of everything for me.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I drew My Next Broken Heart, Uptown Funk, I'm Yours, American Soldier, Fly Me to the Moon, and a Day in the Life of a Fool for my 'prepared quickly' part of my audition. I'm not really a fan of I - VI - IV - V feel good patriot nonsense, but it makes sense that they would want me to be competent in playing this stuff. Gotta actually play stuff that people want to listen to in the band.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Lmbo again

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Is it just me or is cell phone service on post loving awful? Flip board is slow as gently caress to update on post, if it loads at all. Awful App is about the only thing that doesn’t take forever to load. Google chrome, Facebook everything else is slow as balls. Seems to be sort of a new development, last year service was fine on post.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
When i was at Polk I bought my first smart phone. I couldn't even activate it because it wasnt even like 3g yet. I had to drive to Alexanderia which was like 45min drive or something eventually just to be able to use it. That was in like, 2012??

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

My first cell phone was in 2005 after basic. We all got loving Nextel because they were awesome and would do the dumb walkie talkie chirp chirp.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

My first cell phone was in 2005 after basic. We all got loving Nextel because they were awesome and would do the dumb walkie talkie chirp chirp.

*chirp chirp* YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRPPPPPP

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

I got a Nextel phone in 04 because I hated Sprint..........

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

It even had a button to flip it open like a switchblade

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Thank god smart phones came out because that poo poo was getting pretty silly with the walkie talkie super flip ringer noise crazy frog poo poo

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Flikken posted:

I got a Nextel phone in 04 because I hated Sprint..........

oh hey me too

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Were you as pissed as I was when Sprint bought them?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mods change my name posted:

Thank god smart phones came out because that poo poo was getting pretty silly with the walkie talkie super flip ringer noise crazy frog poo poo

it was getting to be like romeo+juliet but with phones instead of guns

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I had a razor and thought I was tits.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Flikken posted:

Were you as pissed as I was when Sprint bought them?

i got my first cell phone at ait in 2003 @ fort sam bc gently caress waiting for the pay phone

when i went back to CT sprint was poo poo, so I switched to nextel. which worked awesome since the PTT had service everywhere.

then sprint bought them and it became poo poo again

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

We called them redneck phones because that seemed to best represent who owned them.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

its not wrong

the ride to my moms house cuts out of t-mobile service for 2/3 of the drive nowadays

sprint was non-existant back in 2004-2005 here. the nextel chirp always worked though so everyone that lived off the main drags here had it

it was annoying but it worked great

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I haven't had any cell issues around JBLM recently, but I gave myself body and soul to our corporate overlords and got Google Fi as soon as I moved to Washington because gently caress AT&T. I've never had any problems with cell service anywhere that people have been bitching about losing Verizon or AT&T service. And now that it's $80 per month for unlimited data? :getin:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
motorola razr was better

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
guys i did something really dumb

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Reenlisted?

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009