Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

MedicineHut posted:

Not sure I get the poll actual message to backers. On the one hand CIG says they would like to stop scope creep for a while and improve existing mechanics. On the other the poll itself is all about new mechanics. What gives?

They want to keep to a quarterly release cadence. They have given backers a 3.x Road Map. Despite it being a major gutting from the 3.x plan Chris shared at Gamescom 2016, it is still too ambitious to keep to on a quarterly basis.

Their 3.0 update, with its many feature additions, resulted in a largely unplayable build. Broken missions, difficulties landing on planets, degradation to framerates, poor support for social gameplay, etc.

Backers were told by Chris that 3.0 would include extra polish and bugfixing. It would be when the game really started coming together. It has instead been a release where the game feels like it’s falling apart. Morale within CIG/Foundry suffered massively. Faith in the backer base is faltering. Streamers are abandoning the game for other titles.

Parties within CIG have communicated to Chris of the impossibility of hitting all the 3.2 features. Also communicated is the necessity to improve or add features not formerly planned for 3.2 yet vital for improved player experience.

The Poll then is a preemptive effort to let backers help steer development priorities for a revised, downsized but in theory more playable, user-friendly version of 3.2.

Roberts has been the worst kind of Idealist — a Fabulist. Yesterday, under obvious strain and with garbled fluency, he made the case for Pragmatism about 3.2. To the extent I’ve sampled reactions, it mostly came as good news and it’s not hard to see why — his Fabulism was leading to Fatalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Paying the Sir Gorf's taxxe bill.

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE
Pope's been done, but I hope you'll accept this humble submission:

In Lumberyard the packets flow
Between the servers, row on row,
That mesh our shards; and in the 'verse
The shills, still bravely streaming, curse
Scarce heard amid the goons below.

We are the Pledged. Short days ago
We paid, felt smug, saw Roberts glow,
Played and were played, and now we fly
In Lumberyard.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
If Derek posts, don't let it go--
The dreams be yours so hold them high.
If ye refund from those who lie
We shall not sleep, though nothing grows
In Lumberyard.

Admiral Snackbar fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 24, 2018

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Ah, what is 3.2 promising? Magic beans?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr.Tophat posted:

Ah, what is 3.2 promising? Magic beans?

Farming is in?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Farming is in?

Hello, this is my farm, where I farm sensu beans. Oh, that? That's my jpeg crop duster. Nice of you to notice. I'm Goku btw.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Original content, till my field

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Bootcha posted:

Let's look:

2018 - $5,092,916
2017 - $5,037,306
2016 - $6,809,482
2015 - $8,828,952
2014 - $5,432,305
2013 - $1,248,692

Soon, Star Citizen will have been in development for so long that we’ll need to start adjusting for inflation for these comparisons to remain meaningful.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

D_Smart posted:

I wrote a short thread...

Crazy, if true.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

So Captain PVP wants to have the ability to make info take billions of years to arrive?

I can't figure his mind out

Simple. They're insane. No go alert the authorities to have them taken away

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

The Titanic posted:

Rebuild a game from 1994, turns out it's tough and takes more time and money than originally anticipated. Has to scale back to even maybe finish the project.

Building a new game where a single ship has more gameplay than most entire games. The theme is "live in a whole universe where anything is possible and all your dreams will come true". No concept of scaling back and yet already every single deadline has been missed, and it appears the game is still just a tech demo that doesn't work well.

Somehow fails to see the problem.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr.Tophat posted:

Original content, till my field

I can't wait till the citizens are being sold jpeg farm equipment.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I love the comment about "not factually" backing up something in response to an argument about CIG being made of dreams and lies. It's the kind of technical correct immediately identifying you as an Assholian. Nice warning flag to not read anything by that guy ever again.

I mean "Cymelion" already sounds like an alien name. Nice blowing your cover, you idiot. Now go climb into the next Ariane 5 and fly back home. :argh:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Do you think CIG has gotten smart enough to at least be able to rig their backer polls? I remember the last "What should CIG work on next?" poll when Leaderboards was picked 7th in priority with something like 4% of the vote. Guess what CIG delivered next: Leaderboads.

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 24, 2018

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Ship Sales STALE?! Optimization STUPID!!! & Elitist ATTITUDES.
https://youtu.be/vHASiof19zo?t=25
0:25 - "some people really tired, some people are like 'you know what I am so tired in this [...] candy cycle; you know it looks so good it tastes so good and then it rots the loving teeth out of my mouth' they're tired of seeing this cycle over and over again"

https://youtu.be/vHASiof19zo?t=314
5:16 - "for the game to be successful we got to drop this kind of elitist attitude where we think we're the only people that matter and that [other people] just don't get it"

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Virtual Captain posted:

Ship Sales STALE?! Optimization STUPID!!! & Elitist ATTITUDES.
https://youtu.be/vHASiof19zo?t=25
0:25 - "some people really tired, some people are like 'you know what I am so tired in this [...] candy cycle; you know it looks so good it tastes so good and then it rots the loving teeth out of my mouth' they're tired of seeing this cycle over and over again"

https://youtu.be/vHASiof19zo?t=314
5:16 - "for the game to be successful we got to drop this kind of elitist attitude where we think we're the only people that matter and that [other people] just don't get it"

Uh-oh. The backers are revolting. Also, some of them seem to be staging some kind of revolt.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Admiral Snackbar posted:

In Lumberyard.

In Lumberyard.

I am loving all the poetry!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I can only provide mathematical turgid verse.

The average non-sale day bring in about $32,000.

2014 made $32,933,205, and had 138 days of sale, about 38% of the year.
Minus the sum of non-sale day average of 227 days, those sales accounted for 78% of the year's earnings.

2015 made $35,961,202, and had 153 days of sale, about 42% of the year.
Minus the sum of non-sale day average of 212 days, those sales accounted for 81% of the year's earnings.

2016 made $36,100,538, and had 121 days of sale, about 33% of the year.
Minus the sum of non-sale day average of 245 days, those sales accounted for 78% of the year's earnings.

2017 made $34,912,412, and had 150 days of sale, about 41% of the year.
Minus the sum of non-sale day average of 215 days, those sales accounted for 80% of the year's earnings.

2018 has to make about $36009847, and is projected at this rate to have 215 days of sale, about 59% of the year.
Minus the projected sum of non-sale day average of 150 days, these sales will account for 87% of the year's earnings.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bootcha posted:

I can only provide mathematical turgid verse.

The average non-sale day bring in about $32,000.

2014 made $32,933,205, and had 138 days of sale, about 38% of the year.
Minus the sum of non-sale day average of 227 days, those sales accounted for 78% of the year's earnings.

2015 made $35,961,202, and had 153 days of sale, about 42% of the year.
Minus the sum of non-sale day average of 212 days, those sales accounted for 81% of the year's earnings.

2016 made $36,100,538, and had 121 days of sale, about 33% of the year.
Minus the sum of non-sale day average of 245 days, those sales accounted for 78% of the year's earnings.

2017 made $34,912,412, and had 150 days of sale, about 41% of the year.
Minus the sum of non-sale day average of 215 days, those sales accounted for 80% of the year's earnings.

2018 has to make about $36009847, and is projected at this rate to have 215 days of sale, about 59% of the year.
Minus the projected sum of non-sale day average of 150 days, these sales will account for 87% of the year's earnings.

Yeah, but at this point one should be prepared to learn in the near future that most of these numbers (especially after 2016) are more or less made up by CIG, so we can't actually use them as a base for anything

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Yeah, but at this point one should be prepared to learn in the near future that most of these numbers (especially after 2016) are more or less made up by CIG, so we can't actually use them as a base for anything

True, but unfortunately we have to take funding tracker at its word, otherwise the facade of open development falls apart.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Admiral Snackbar posted:

In Lumberyard.

In Lumberyard.

:five:

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Frank_Leroux posted:

Not the OP, but I'll do my best:

WHAT dire Offence from am'rous Causes springs,
What mighty Quarrels rise from Financial Things,
I sing — This Verse to Derek, Muse! is due;
This, ev'n Sandi may vouchsafe to view:
Slight is the Subject, but not so the Praise,
If Sandi inspire, and Chris approve my Lays.

Say what strange Motive, Goddess! cou'd compel
A well-bred Derek t'paarp a gentle Roberts-Belle?
Oh say what stranger Cause, yet unexplor'd,
Cou'd make a gentle Roberts refund a Smart-Lord?
And dwells such Rage in softest Bosoms then?
And lodge such daring Souls in Little Men?

This, and the others, are exceptional creative works. My inner bard is inspired!

Star Citizen is bad
We've all been had.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Tippis posted:

Uh-oh. The backers are revolting.

Sandi: "Finally, something we agree on."

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Ben Lesnick, Developer

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Apologies to Wordsworth.

I wandered lonely as a sperg
That sleeps in basements, digs and suites,
When all at once I saw a morgue,
So full of backers, with receipts;
That told of gains from warbond sales,
Sold only to autistic whales.

So futile, just like Sandi’s shows
Like RTVs with pointless scripts,
Just fading into the shadows
Along the margin of the crypt.
Ten thousand saw I with one gaze,
Their money gone or set ablaze.

Chris beside them danced; and begged
Did wave his hands, a lot with glee:
Cajoled them to buy more jpegs,
To spend their money recklessly.
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
What wealth the show to him had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive air,
I think of refunds, and then I
Think of fortune, no longer there.
And of future spergs without clue
Of jpeg games, well overdue.

Dogeh fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 25, 2018

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
It is an ancient Developer,
And he stoppeth one of three.
'By thy thumblike head and glittering eye,
Now wherefore stopp'st thou me?'

'Buy a ship,' quoth he

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Set a course for the cult system

ENGAGE!

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/977694796037873666

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Foo Diddley posted:

It is an ancient Developer,
And he stoppeth one of three.
'By thy thumblike head and glittering eye,
Now wherefore stopp'st thou me?'

'Buy a ship,' quoth he

The Backers' wallets are opened wide,
And I am willing to buy in;
The stretch goals are met, with little regret:
By 2014 they'll call the project fin!'

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

EightAce posted:

Chris has seen Crobear and is amused !!

He likes the idea of an all body toupee?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I'm trying to not sound big headed, but I pulled and kept an audience of well over 100, with a talk about how tough being in a fandom was in pre-internet 90's. It was the first time I ever spoke publicly about a topic that wasn't about crafting, and was to an audience of mostly people who didn't really know me, just that I'm that one person who makes crazy, over ambitious costumes.

I guess good job Lando on your lovely dozen or so emotionally and financially invested idiots.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Moma, thread is a bit slow can you spice it up with some tales of the wonderful adventures you are having in this game you paid $8k for?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
You still putting 40 hours a week into Star Marine and just out of interest are 36 of those hours spent "waiting for players"?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

I love literally everything about this poster

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Here are some of the things I love about the poster.

The number of colours that the text has..

The glorious use of word art distortions and angles and all kinds of things to give it more pep.

The excitingly stretched Star Citizen watermark.

The mysterious light box that covers only the bottom half of the poster and bisects the times while tastefully leaving only a sliver of the sponsor logo exposed.

The military-style 24 hour times.

The fact that this is inaugural.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

G0RF posted:

They want to keep to a quarterly release cadence. They have given backers a 3.x Road Map. Despite it being a major gutting from the 3.x plan Chris shared at Gamescom 2016, it is still too ambitious to keep to on a quarterly basis.

Their 3.0 update, with its many feature additions, resulted in a largely unplayable build. Broken missions, difficulties landing on planets, degradation to framerates, poor support for social gameplay, etc.

Backers were told by Chris that 3.0 would include extra polish and bugfixing. It would be when the game really started coming together. It has instead been a release where the game feels like it’s falling apart. Morale within CIG/Foundry suffered massively. Faith in the backer base is faltering. Streamers are abandoning the game for other titles.

Parties within CIG have communicated to Chris of the impossibility of hitting all the 3.2 features. Also communicated is the necessity to improve or add features not formerly planned for 3.2 yet vital for improved player experience.

The Poll then is a preemptive effort to let backers help steer development priorities for a revised, downsized but in theory more playable, user-friendly version of 3.2.

Roberts has been the worst kind of Idealist — a Fabulist. Yesterday, under obvious strain and with garbled fluency, he made the case for Pragmatism about 3.2. To the extent I’ve sampled reactions, it mostly came as good news and it’s not hard to see why — his Fabulism was leading to Fatalism.

Thanks

Preemptive way to prepare the way to scope downsize then. Checks out.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Bugtesters gonna bugtest...

(Except when they physically can't)

On the plus side Bug Persistence 3.0 seems to be in.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Star Citizen: It's pretty clear you're not interested in reality right now

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

doingitwrong posted:

Here are some of the things I love about the poster.

The number of colours that the text has..

The glorious use of word art distortions and angles and all kinds of things to give it more pep.

The excitingly stretched Star Citizen watermark.

The mysterious light box that covers only the bottom half of the poster and bisects the times while tastefully leaving only a sliver of the sponsor logo exposed.

The military-style 24 hour times.

The fact that this is inaugural.

:five::laugh::five:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Welcome to the club

Alternatively, the comedy option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"