Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

ShaneB posted:

My LGSs seem to be full of expensive spike decks like Jund (including me), BG midrange, and UW/Jeskai control. I have the stuff for Mardu Pyromancer and enjoy grind decks AND lingering souls - think this is the right meta choice?

The correct answer is just play Ad Nauseam with main deck leylines. Lose only to your deck because it hates you and you draw all the cantrips and mana sources but none of the pay offs.

Edit: Siding in Grave Titan is great for game 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

The correct answer is just play Ad Nauseam with main deck leylines. Lose only to your deck because it hates you and you draw all the cantrips and mana sources but none of the pay offs.

Edit: Siding in Grave Titan is great for game 2.

Someone opened my eyes to how this deck is actually played when they sided in Bontu's Last Reckoning and a Grave Titan, casting Ad Nauseam with Phyrexian Unlife out until they had 6 cards left, and tried to win with Bontu's into Titan. I used to play it a bunch and would occasionally Ad Nauseam for value, but the sideboard plan and execution was next-level. (They lost due to double Burning Inquiry though lol)

e: One time I won a grindy match against a BUG Eldritch Evolution deck with Glen Elendra by siding in 3 Death's Shadows and beating down

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

myDad posted:

Someone opened my eyes to how this deck is actually played when they sided in Bontu's Last Reckoning and a Grave Titan, casting Ad Nauseam with Phyrexian Unlife out until they had 6 cards left, and tried to win with Bontu's into Titan. I used to play it a bunch and would occasionally Ad Nauseam for value, but the sideboard plan and execution was next-level. (They lost due to double Burning Inquiry though lol)

e: One time I won a grindy match against a BUG Eldritch Evolution deck with Glen Elendra by siding in 3 Death's Shadows and beating down

Burning Inquiry is the most frustrating card. I've had some many great hands made terrible by that card. Keep a no lander with double Bloom + Combo? hope you enjoy losing when your opponent casts that turn 1 and you discard both blooms.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Burning Inquiry is the most frustrating card. I've had some many great hands made terrible by that card. Keep a no lander with double Bloom + Combo? hope you enjoy losing when your opponent casts that turn 1 and you discard both blooms.

:same: If I wanted to play a game ruled by the word "random", I'd stick to Hearthstone.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I still think it's amazing that Burning Inquiry of all cards has found a place in modern lol

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

myDad posted:

I still think it's amazing that Burning Inquiry of all cards has found a place in modern lol

If Cathartic Reunion didn’t get printed I think they would’ve found a place in Dredge.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

TheKingofSprings posted:

If Cathartic Reunion didn’t get printed I think they would’ve found a place in Dredge.

Yeah that's how I ended up a playset of Burning Inquiries. I was testing them along with Conflagrate. The Conflag was much better :v:

Have you guys seen the silly Bridge/Vengevine deck from MTGGoldfish? It's insanely fast and I'm thinking about running it for fun with 4 Leyline of the Void in the main. Kind of like what Bogles do with the 4 Leyline of Sanctity in the main.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/much-abrew-bridgevine-modern

It's pretty silly with 10 2/2 zambos on turn 2.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
2-2 at FNM with GW Ramunap, beat Ponza and Bogles while losing two matches to Gx Tron. Disappointed that I can't seem to get over .500 with any deck but this one felt good to play and I'll probably stick with some sort of CoCo+KotR deck for the foreseeable future, be it GW, Bant or Naya. Decklist and longer report when I get home. PS ban Tron.

E: Decklist-
1 Bojuka Bog
5 Forest
1 Gavony Township
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Horizon Canopy
2 Plains
2 Temple Garden
2 Verdant Catacombs
4 Windswept Heath
1 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Collected Company
4 Courser of Kruphix
1 Eternal Witness
4 Knight of the Reliquary
3 Noble Hierarch
4 Path to Exile
2 Ramunap Excavator
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tireless Tracker
4 Voice of Resurgence
//Sideboard
2 Aven Mindcensor
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Mirran Crusader
1 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Reclamation Sage
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Stony Silence
1 Tectonic Edge

R1 vs BBE Ponza. G1 He gets multiple dorks but remains stuck on 1 actual land and I CoCo into double KotR on turn 3, having cracked fetches the first two turns. He dies. OUT: 1 Tracker, 1 Courser, 1 ScOoze. IN: 2 Rec Sage, 1 Selfless. G2 he gets 2x Tracker and a BBE into play vs my big-ish KotR but I Path a Tracker and then E-Wit the Path to take out the other one. He dies. 1-0 (2-0).

R2 vs G Tron. G1 he gets T3 Karn and an Ugin shortly after and I die. Out: 4 Courser, 1 Bog. IN: 2x Aven, 1 Revoker, 1 Tec Edge, 1 Sigarda (should've also grabbed Stony). G2 he doesn't get T3 Tron and I knock him around for a while, then he pops an O-Stone to wipe my board and gets a couple big threats into play. I die having not seen a single Ghost Quarter/TecEdge either game. 1-1 (2-2).

R3 vs Bogles. G1 he mulls to 5, keeps and scrys a card to the top, then has no T1 play. He gets a Gladecover Scout down and I Quarter his one land, leaving him with only white mana for the rest of the game. He gets some Auras onto the Scout but I get a very wide board and eventually wear him down. OUT: 4 Path, 1 Azusa. IN: 2 Rec Sage, 1 Explosives, 1 Eidolon, 1 Crusader. G2 he gets a T1 Bogle then kind of floods out. I have T1 Explosives which I get to pop twice thanks to E-Wit and I kill him with a wide board again. 2-1 (4-2)

R4 vs G Tron again. He also hits T3 Karn G1 and I die. OUT: 4 Courser, 1 Bog, 1 Voice, 1 Tracker. IN: 2x Aven, 1 Revoker, 1 Tec Edge, 1 Sigarda, 2 Stony. G2 he gets Tron T3-4 but no immediate threats, and I get a wide board and trade some creatures with his TKS and Wurmcoils until he finds and lands an Ugin to wipe my board. I die, having only seen one Ghost Quarter in two games. 2-2 (4-4)

As I said before, going 2-2 yet again is a bummer but I felt great in the matches that I did win and then managed to make both G2s against Tron sort of competitive even while only hitting one or two sideboard cards. I'll probably keep playing this type of deck for the time being but I might try out Bant once I get my Jaces, or Naya once I get the last few cards I need for that. At the same time, there were five Tron players in the top six matches at the end (Gx or U), so maybe I should bring something that beats Tron?!

Also my buddy ran Cheerios to a 2-2 record against Ad Nauseum, Bogles (same dude I played), Tron and Amulet Titan. Apparently he went 3-0-1 with it last week!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 24, 2018

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Went 3-1 with Lands. Lost to Goblins Round 1 on a poor draw, and then ran the table.

Luckily for me, some whiny baby got upset that they couldn't play Modern every week, and they threw a tantrum. Our Lgs has avoided running both modern/legacy every week (we rotated modern and legacy) to make for stronger fields. Now they're going to play both every Friday. It means I don't have to play Modern anymore, and I can just play Legacy every week.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 24, 2018

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

EvilBeard posted:

Went 3-1 with Lands. Lost to Goblins Round 1 on a poor draw, and then ran the table.

Luckily for me, some whiny baby got upset that they couldn't play Modern every week, and they threw a tantrum. Our Lgs has avoided running both modern/legacy every week (we rotated modern and legacy) to make for stronger fields. Now they're going to play both every Friday. It means I don't have to play Modern anymore, and I can just play Legacy every week.

I'm officially turning my Aggro Loam deck into Lands, as it's always kind of felt like a worse version of it. Seems like it's getting a lot of attention in the lead up to the GP, what list are you running?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I'm officially turning my Aggro Loam deck into Lands, as it's always kind of felt like a worse version of it. Seems like it's getting a lot of attention in the lead up to the GP, what list are you running?

Pretty standard RG.

Deck: Tending the Garden

//Lands
1 Bojuka Bog
3 Dark Depths
1 Forest
4 Ghost Quarter
1 Glacial Chasm
4 Grove of the Burnwillows
1 Karakas
2 Maze of Ith
1 Mishra's Factory
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Sheltered Thicket
2 Taiga
1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
4 Thespian's Stage
1 Tranquil Thicket
1 Verdant Catacombs
4 Wasteland
1 Windswept Heath

//Spells
4 Crop Rotation
4 Exploration
4 Gamble
4 Life from the Loam
1 Manabond
1 Molten Vortex
4 Mox Diamond
4 Punishing Fire

//Sideboard
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Kozilek's Return
3 Krosan Grip
2 Ramunap Excavator
4 Sphere of Resistance
2 Sylvan Safekeeper
2 Tireless Tracker

Display deck statistics

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I played legacy again. I lost to 6 Deathrites and 5 Delvers in 2 games. Again. With the deck that's supposed to beat those things.

Time to quit for another 3 months or until they ban Deathrite and Probe.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

I played legacy again. I lost to 6 Deathrites and 5 Delvers in 2 games. Again. With the deck that's supposed to beat those things.

Time to quit for another 3 months or until they ban Deathrite and Probe.

You're still playing that Red D&T right?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Thisuck posted:

You're still playing that Red D&T right?

Yep. And still losing to turn 1 Deathrite. Just like every other deck.

My extensive testing has allowed me to determine that Path of Mettle is as bad as I thought and Sorcerous Spyglass is worse than Pithing Needle. Also Dire Fleet Daredevil is trash, at least at my store. Not that I've ever drawn it or a Recruiter to find it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

it's the massacre after the first dread of night that gets you

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

It's actually the 4 mana on turn 3 through a Swords and a Wasteland.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

chin up - wotc is going to ban it after I win the GP next week with a deck that 1) was piloted by me, the worst player in the history of tournament magic and 2) has two Snuff Outs in it

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I cashed out of MTGO. Playing Xmage with the poors now.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I did it, I bought into modern storm. Pretty excited about playing it in local events, considering I've only ever played modern on mtgo aside from a single event.

Though I'm going to have to spend some time gold fishing before I go considering I'll have to get used to tracking my mana and storm count by hand

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

More like the smarts!

On a modern note, I'm doing pretty well with UB Faeries with Jace. Went 3-1 yesterday in LGS weekly modern, only lost to my friend's affinity deck. Managed to beat out BW Tokens, BW Superfriends and a long as gently caress match vs Jund. I managed to end up 3rd place because 2 people drew :v:

I recently swapped out the 3 Secluded Glens in my deck for 2 Field of Ruin and 1 more Swamp for those pesky Blood Moons. Since I wouldn't actually be able to cast my SB cards vs most red decks if I don't have 2 black sources. I also removed a CoBru and Mistbind Clique from the SB for 2 Spellskites for bogles. drat bogles boggles the mind.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Thisuck posted:

More like the smarts!

On a modern note, I'm doing pretty well with UB Faeries with Jace. Went 3-1 yesterday in LGS weekly modern, only lost to my friend's affinity deck. Managed to beat out BW Tokens, BW Superfriends and a long as gently caress match vs Jund. I managed to end up 3rd place because 2 people drew :v:

I recently swapped out the 3 Secluded Glens in my deck for 2 Field of Ruin and 1 more Swamp for those pesky Blood Moons. Since I wouldn't actually be able to cast my SB cards vs most red decks if I don't have 2 black sources. I also removed a CoBru and Mistbind Clique from the SB for 2 Spellskites for bogles. drat bogles boggles the mind.

Engineered Explosives on 1 feels really good against Bogles. I got to do it twice in one game against them last week thanks to E Witness! Most Faeries worth playing are 2+ CMC, right?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

Engineered Explosives on 1 feels really good against Bogles. I got to do it twice in one game against them last week thanks to E Witness! Most Faeries worth playing are 2+ CMC, right?

Do you wait until they blow their hand on a stack of auras so they can't recover when totem armor saves their Bogle?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Star Man posted:

Do you wait until they blow their hand on a stack of auras so they can't recover when totem armor saves their Bogle?

EE either reduces their Bogle to a 1/1 hexproof by (usually) killing all their enchantments or buys a lot of time by stopping them from putting any enchantments on it in the first place.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Yeah but you top at 2 4cmc ones. The main back bone of the deck are your Spellstutters and Bitterblossoms. Vendillion is there to basically add more beats and also some pseudo-hand disruption, and Mistbind is there for some nice 4/4 time walking and also to save yourself from your own Bitterblossom.

With inclusion of Jace though, the deck runs a lot of 4 drops now. So I'm always go 25 lands, but I'm rarely casting Jace on t4, usually holding Cryptic, Mistbind or Snappy shenanigans.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My point was that you could EE on 1 and not ding your own board state in the process.

Star Man posted:

I played it turn 1 and then popped it I when he had a Bogle with three 1-mana auras including Hyena Umbra and me with no 1-mana permanents. He kept the Bogle but lost the auras and then kept topdecking lands. We had been about even on board before I popped it but by the time he got some auras back on the Bogle I was already way ahead on board (and had managed to replay the EE just in case).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tim Raines IRL posted:

xmage is the worst combination of cockatrice and mtgo. a clumsy clickfest rules engine like mtgo with zero stakes leading to morons like cockatrice

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

that;s why you only play with your friends

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

that;s why you only play with your friends

I vastly prefer cockatrice for that since it's like playing on a table.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I won a bye for eternal weekend :)

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Skyl3lazer posted:

I won a bye for eternal weekend :)

:O Nice!

What are you planning to play?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Norin Sisters: one New Squee for spice? Guarantees a castable body every turn and could even path him for the worst value ever

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

ShaneB posted:

xmage is the worst combination of cockatrice and mtgo. a clumsy clickfest rules engine like mtgo with zero stakes leading to morons like cockatrice

I know this is a common sentiment but my experiences playing ranked matches on xmage.de have mostly been fine. People playing tier decks, people generally seeming to make correct decisions, people generally not scooping to t1 thoughtseize.

It's not as good as MTGO, but I have too many expensive hobbies and having $1K tied up in a videogame is not reasonable; I wanted to buy a decent drawing tablet to take my bad cat drawings into the digital realm and this was the best way to finance that.

I tried to play 'Trice, the lack of rules enforcement made me crazy.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 4, 2018

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

:pusheen:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Is that sleeve playable?

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 4, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Is that speeve playable?

these end up weighing the same as a normal card to +/- 5mg (card is around 1.7g) based on a bunch of tests.

that said, gently caress no

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ok but is it sLeeve playable?

Either way it's sweet.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

well, tomorrow i depart for the west coast with a deck containing snuff out. goonspeed

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Archenteron posted:

Norin Sisters: one New Squee for spice? Guarantees a castable body every turn and could even path him for the worst value ever

i was moving into norin sisters. i would change 1 norin to a squee maybe 2 and 2

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

AkumaHokoru posted:

i was moving into norin sisters. i would change 1 norin to a squee maybe 2 and 2

What is the current list for that deck? I want to build a fun semi-casual one for a multiplayer type environment vs my casual friends.

Hey Steve, this is mine.

Not as bling as yours but it's still pretty and it's mine :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I'm trying to find Japanese foil Moms and Karakases for a reasonable price right now. It's not easy.

I don't know why I'm putting so much effort money into an unplayable deck in a format I've quit for the foreseeable future, but here we are.

I thought about getting Judge Ports because I'm pretty sure I'll never get Japanese foil Ports. I still might. Kinda wish I hadn't sold the one I had in my cube.