Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The Deleter posted:

Statuesque, sorry. These ones.

Statuesque Heroic scale head. Hair is my sculpt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Man, those Deepkin. I'm gonna be busy with Seraphon for the forseeable future but I see so much kitbash potential there for my Drukhari. These guys are more Dark Eldar than the Dark Elves themselves.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Statuesque Heroic scale head. Hair is my sculpt.

That's pretty much perfect! Thanks!

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
So I've always been more into Warhammer 40k and Necromunda but recently Age of Sigmar has been grabbing my attention. I just don't really know where to start in terms of the Age of Sigmar lore. There seems to be so many different books available. Any suggestions on where to begin? I realise I can just start with one of the army books but I'm looking for something that ties the lore of the Age of Sigmar world together.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Honestly, lot of the books are trash and not worth your time. I don't even think the people that have played since launch would defend them. I would suggest going to the Malign Portents page https://malignportents.com and reading the stuff there. There are short stories, world background articles and some videos that give you rundowns of the current structure. The site is when they actually started making an attempt at putting together a coherent narrative for the world.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Spear of Shadows is pretty fun. As is Plague Garden.

City of Secrets is fun but short.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New short story.

https://malignportents.com/story/lightning-in-a-bottle/

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Played Game 1 of a map-based campaign I'm in this week. 1K Rats (chaos allegiance) vs Beastclaw Raiders. Managed to poo poo out just enough mortal wounds to come back after the top of two double turn where I lost a unit of rats, my Warlord/General, a Warpfire thrower, and my Plague Priest :/.

A unit of 40 spear rats using the Damned terrain to make a shitload of 3+/3+ attacks is legit. I'm just sad my Warlord died so soon or it could have been double the number.

Also: the ability to retreat (8"!) and still charge is hella good. Squeaked out a minor victory and took some land!

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Honestly, lot of the books are trash and not worth your time. I don't even think the people that have played since launch would defend them. I would suggest going to the Malign Portents page https://malignportents.com and reading the stuff there. There are short stories, world background articles and some videos that give you rundowns of the current structure. The site is when they actually started making an attempt at putting together a coherent narrative for the world.

By “a lot of the books” you mean battletomes or novels/fiction? Or both? There definitely is a feeling in the earlier battletomes where details seem intentionally vague, in a “we’ll explain this later when we come up with a better idea” way. Haven’t read any novels though.

Malign Portents is definitely a good and promising attempt at fleshing out the world though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Since he mentioned battletomes as an alternative I figured he was mainly thinking of the Novels/Campaign Books. Both of which I'd rank on the bottom rung.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I was not thinking novels but thanks for the replies. I’ll take a look at the malign portents content.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
There's an ex-GW employee doing an AMA on the Age of Sigmar Reddit, and according to him they've literally forgot Tomb Kings were a thing. :lol:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Deleter posted:

There's an ex-GW employee doing an AMA on the Age of Sigmar Reddit, and according to him they've literally forgot Tomb Kings were a thing. :lol:

He was also doing a stream at the same time it appears.

I like the guy too. He is quite honest about his problems with the company as well. (Which given his title of Honest makes sense.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 25, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

He's also kind of a dick? He told people to stop buying Stormcast, and to ban them from events.

Looking at most of his answers, he's clearly so bitter they let him go.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

He's also kind of a dick? He told people to stop buying Stormcast, and to ban them from events.

Thats kind of taking the context out of everything. https://www.reddit.com/r/ageofsigmar/comments/86v2kc/hi_im_rob_of_the_honest_wargamer_formerly_of_whtv/dw830ix/

He said that in response to someone asking him what would be the best way to get GW to release Non Stormcast units and focus on other things. To which he responded with that. Along with the words "but that would be unfair to Stormcast players."

Nothing really dickish there.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 25, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

He was answering someone's question dude. And said it would be unfair to those players.

e ^^^

Every single ex GW employee I've ever met has been bitter. New GW isn't THAT new.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
GW may be better, but never let that fool you into thinking they are good

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

in a shocking twist, it looks like it is you who is the dick!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

dexefiend posted:

Last two weeks progress:

I have like 10 models left to go. 3 Blood Warriors and 7 Khorgoraths. Making great progress over the last two weeks after buying most of this stuff 10 months ago.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Good Lord, how many points is that?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
When I finish thus up this week, it will be:

Khorne Bloodbound
Allegiance: Khorne
Aspiring Deathbringer with Goreaxe and Skullhammer (100)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodstoker (80)
Exalted Deathbringer (80)
- Ruinous Axe & Skullgouger
Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear (80)
Khorgos Khul (200)
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (140)
Skullgrinder (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
40 x Blood Warriors (800)
120 x Bloodreavers (720)
8 x Khorgoraths (640)
20 x Skullreapers (720)
20 x Wrathmongers (720)

Total: 4980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 454

Edit:
I could probably add a thousand points in batallions...

Almost everything comes from ebay.I also bought Gorechosen to get 4 of the leaders. The only things I bought in a standard box of miniatures were the Exalted Deathbringer with Spear and 4 boxes of Wrathmongers, 2 boxes of Bloodreavers (need those meatripper axes), and one box of Bloodwarriors (which I combined with 3 eBay Goreglaives).

I plan on using all the Bloodreavers as Meatripper axes; using the real Meatripper ones as dividers between the "proxies". That will make it easier to tell which unit is which.

Since I have 4 Blood Warriors with Goreglaives, they will always be the unit leaders, so I could do 4 units of 10.

My next goal after assembly is to build three Chaos Warshrines. (... and paint of course.) I like the idea of each unit of Bloodreavers having their own Warshrine.

Anyone have cool converted (using cheap bits) War Shrines?

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 26, 2018

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So there was some tidbits dropped during one the Adepticon streams when an ex-GW employee hopped in to make some comments.

AoS 'phase 2' looks to be coming, more along the 40k line of complexity. Roll off for first turn is in, character protection/targeting changes, base to base measurement, weapon ranges are now to 'friendly model in contact' instead of to enemy model.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I've heard, coming out of Adepticon to expect a three week release for Idoneth starting with pre-orders on the 14th.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I really hope it's not 40k level of complexity. The reason I prefer AoS is how streamlined it is, without the make-work of some of 40k's systems. Especially if they have the bright idea of making stratagems a thing in AoS too.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Just finished assembling another 16 dryads. Man that is a miserable kit to clean.

Once these are painted I can start on the next group of 16. Until I hit the 60 I want. For some reason I have decided I will be fielding 2 full dryad units.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

TKIY posted:

So there was some tidbits dropped during one the Adepticon streams when an ex-GW employee hopped in to make some comments.

AoS 'phase 2' looks to be coming, more along the 40k line of complexity. Roll off for first turn is in, character protection/targeting changes, base to base measurement, weapon ranges are now to 'friendly model in contact' instead of to enemy model.

On the one hand, I hope this includes fixing some of the more egregious problems with AoS like the lack of sensible rules regarding what can shoot at what, the base to base measurement, etc. But I prefer a lot of the streamlining, like how damage works. I hope they target the right things when they update.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Characters are currently too damned easy to kill.

For example, one of the reasons Bloodbound kinda stink is that the strong factions just put 5 mortal wounds on the Bloodsecrator turn one.... and there is not much the Khorne player can do about it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

One of the things I've been told they're introducing is a -1 to hit characters rule, probably if they aren't the closest thing to you. But I'll believe it when I see it.

e: I bought 3 boxes of stormfiends... oh god. These things are a pain to assemble but they're so drat good looking.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 27, 2018

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

S.J. posted:

One of the things I've been told they're introducing is a -1 to hit characters rule, probably if they aren't the closest thing to you. But I'll believe it when I see it.

e: I bought 3 boxes of stormfiends... oh god. These things are a pain to assemble but they're so drat good looking.

Yeah. I can't see them porting over the 40K hero protection rule exactly as written unless they go full edition-change and completely rewrite the army rules from the ground up, as it would make those factions that get really, really good buffs from their heroes too powerful. (I'm thinking Stormcasts and their 2+ save reroll 1's malarky.) And I don't think they're dumb enough to commit to making all current battletomes invalid. (Especially after just releasing several battletomes with the old rules.) Reckless edition-changing without proper forethought was what led to most of AoS's problems in the first place.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 27, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

But that isn't the 40k hero targeting rule? In 40k you can't shoot at them at all unless they're the closest thing. Unless I'm misremembering something?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

S.J. posted:

But that isn't the 40k hero targeting rule? In 40k you can't shoot at them at all unless they're the closest thing. Unless I'm misremembering something?

yeah, sorry I chose really bad wording. the Mmm, was meant to signify nodding in agreement. Edit time! Hide the evidence!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Oh, I gotcha. Yeah the 40k rules wouldn't work at all here, you really need a way to kill characters. Hell it doesn't even really function well in 40k :v:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
It seems that armies that rely on key pieces have a big disadvantage as it currently stands. The guy who won that huge AOS tournament with a 15 drop Stormcast list called it out pretty well.

He said that his army's strength was that each piece was good on it's own, so he didn't have to worry as much about turn one. He wasn't neutered by losing 1-2 key heroes.

It is really obvious when you look at some of the good batallions. The good ones arent disabled by losing the bonus-centric heroes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Especially if they have the bright idea of making stratagems a thing in AoS too.

We already have that with Malign Portents.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also new short story.

It appears to be about Malekith and Morathi.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Forgot to Link it https://malignportents.com/story/a-rescued-soul/

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

dexefiend posted:

It seems that armies that rely on key pieces have a big disadvantage as it currently stands. The guy who won that huge AOS tournament with a 15 drop Stormcast list called it out pretty well.

He said that his army's strength was that each piece was good on it's own, so he didn't have to worry as much about turn one. He wasn't neutered by losing 1-2 key heroes.

It is really obvious when you look at some of the good batallions. The good ones arent disabled by losing the bonus-centric heroes.

Since I've been playing Khorne recently, I totally get that. If my Bloodsecrator goes down turn 1 or 2, I might as well scoop immediately.

MonsterEnvy posted:

We already have that with Malign Portents.

I mean in the base rules.

I just don't want them to complicate the rules any further. AoS' base rules fitting on 4 pages is a big selling point for new players, especially when they're deciding between 40k and AoS. Where the 40k main rules are like a bible and AoS' can fit on a pamphlet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Since I've been playing Khorne recently, I totally get that. If my Bloodsecrator goes down turn 1 or 2, I might as well scoop immediately.

I mean in the base rules.

I just don't want them to complicate the rules any further. AoS' base rules fitting on 4 pages is a big selling point for new players, especially when they're deciding between 40k and AoS. Where the 40k main rules are like a bible and AoS' can fit on a pamphlet.

40k's core rules are currently a pamphlet that comes with the starter set. 40k was greatly simplified.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Is it wrong to want 12 Khorgoraths? If they were a multipose, I would have them.

IT IS COMPLETE! AHHHHHHHHH! Two plus weeks of effort! Now to prep for priming.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I did it! Need to put a shade on the face, highlight the parchment and stick some grass on the base, but Lady-Castellant Agrippa Hearthguard is ready for battle! Also I need a very fine detail brush for the eyes I guess.

• Locked thread