Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

You can't ever sell the Crown. I would cry buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

same but the surf. Even the JDM 1st gens around here aren't close to that clean, and LHD ones just plain don't exist and haven't since the end of the '90s.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You'd have to, I'm still unemployed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

The dome light stopped working shortly after we got the Crown. It has a whole bunch of lights all over so it isn't a big deal but I finally popped off the lens to see what's up.

The bulb and that tab were just sitting up there in a way that prevents them from rolling around. Once the lens was down they fell off. What's happened is the post that is punched through that metal tab that pinches the bulb on the ends (and makes electrical contact) broke. You can see in the second picture that the post goes through the plastic and is connected to a wire (you can barely see) on the other side. Easy enough to fix, just have to reconnect the wire to the tab and re-connect the tab itself to that plastic. It's going to look goofy and nasty but it's going to be under the lens so who cares!

What an weird thing to brake though.

I fixed a similar issue on my AE86 with a #0 brass screw and nut. Should be to able find them in a model train shop, or online.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Spent hours clay barring orange brake dust/road crap out of the paint. Not quite done but made really good progress. Also decided to clean up and install my summer wheels and tires.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PaintVagrant posted:

Also decided to clean up and install my summer wheels and tires.

You know we're gonna get more snow in the next month (or two :v:), surely.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Time to see how firehawks do in snow :getin:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

PaintVagrant posted:

Also decided to clean up and install my summer wheels and tires.

It's you. You're the reason it's suddenly supposed to snow for 6 out of the next 8 days.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PaintVagrant posted:

Spent hours clay barring orange brake dust/road crap out of the paint. Not quite done but made really good progress. Also decided to clean up and install my summer wheels and tires.

dem some fat sidewalls for an ST

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

dem some fat sidewalls for an ST

16x7 wheels, 205/50/16 tires.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PaintVagrant posted:

16x7 wheels, 205/50/16 tires.

does it ride a bit better than the low profiles?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

does it ride a bit better than the low profiles?

Yep! I’m swapping to 205/45/16 soon, but more sidewall does help.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PaintVagrant posted:

Yep! I’m swapping to 205/45/16 soon, but more sidewall does help.

might have to look into that, anytime I graze a pothole I internally cringe.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You may recall that I frankensteined the EGR assembly in my Crown Vic last week. By Friday evening all but one of the monitors were ready, and still no CEL, which is good enough for TX, so off to state inspection it went on Saturday. It passed no problem, so I paid registration. Should have the sticker in a week.
I drove it another 100 miles or so over the weekend, and still no CEL, and it starts and idles much more smoothly than it has in a while. When I checked it on Friday, there weren't even any pending codes at all. Nice!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

New fuel filter, finally. Black crap poured out of inlet side of the old one. :barf: The lines from the pump and return were labeled "MY08" (the green stickers there); guessing that was part of what was replaced when GM replaced the fuel pump assembly.

Learned a bit of a lesson. Pulling the fuel pump fuse with the car running and waiting for it to die (then cranking it a few times) doesn't completely relieve pressure. Glad my face wasn't in the way, but the line popped off with plenty of force and sprayed pretty good for about 5 seconds. Probably should have pulled the outlet side first - judging by the crap that came out of the inlet side, it was pretty clogged.

Aside from the car trying to give me a facial, it was pretty easy (a friend's old RV ramps helped a lot).

Found a random piece of rubber in one of the rear springs though. Guessing it used to go between the car and the top of the spring? Both rear shocks looked really oily too, so those are gonna get added to the list for when I do the rear brakes in a few weeks (it looks like they just bolt on, so no spring compressor needed?).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 20, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Looks like one of those rubber sleeves the top of the spring usually lives in. I think it's for noise. I've run with and without them before and can't notice a difference.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's kinda what I figured. There's some clunking when going over bad bumps, but it doesn't handle bad (well, not any worse than any other Ion/Cobalt).

Looked at the OBD2 monitors after about 10 miles of driving. Everything but evap is already showing ready. That has to be a record; I've never had everything go ready so quick after resetting the ECU on this (usually it takes several hundred miles).

e: just youtubed rear shock replacement. 2 loving bolts. Yeah, that poo poo's getting done ASAP. Just found a video for the fronts too, it's not nearly as bad as I thought (don't need to separate ball joints or pull axles). I'll probably do quick struts for the front (if I can find non-Monroe). Overall pretty impressed with how easy it is to tackle compared to most stuff I've owned. The rears are definitely in worse shape than the fronts though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 20, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I believe I posted about the door handle cable on my wife's Kia last week, especially the "there I fixed it" bodge to let her open the door from the inside until parts showed up.
Parts showed up, and were not only correct, but actual OEM parts (well, part, singular.)

$5.47!
Need to keep this parts house's card if this is typical.

New cable in and working. I had to source a new retainer clip from my stash, since that got broken as well as the end of the cable.

Then there was the door latch end.

'Twas a bit tight getting my meathooks in there. That plastic cover covers the whole latch assembly, so makes the right angle around the window track, meaning I couldn't remove it without pulling the latch or the track, so I had to just bend it out of the way. The cable attaches on this end exactly the same way as the handle end. The hard bit was getting the end oriented, in the hole, and then keeping it ther while I fumbled around getting the retainer swiveled into place. Took a few tries, but I got it.
Kudos to Kia for making the cable bisexual. It was the same on both ends, so orientation didn't matter. Brilliant!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Darchangel posted:

'Twas a bit tight getting my meathooks in there....so I had to just bend it out of the way. The hard bit was getting the end oriented, in the hole, and then keeping it ther while I fumbled around...into place. Took a few tries, but I got it... bisexual. It was the same on both ends, so orientation didn't matter. Brilliant!
Keep going, you have a really beautiful way with words.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Darchangel posted:

I believe I posted about the door handle cable on my wife's Kia last week, especially the "there I fixed it" bodge to let her open the door from the inside until parts showed up.
Parts showed up, and were not only correct, but actual OEM parts (well, part, singular.)

$5.47!
Need to keep this parts house's card if this is typical.

New cable in and working. I had to source a new retainer clip from my stash, since that got broken as well as the end of the cable.

Then there was the door latch end.

'Twas a bit tight getting my meathooks in there. That plastic cover covers the whole latch assembly, so makes the right angle around the window track, meaning I couldn't remove it without pulling the latch or the track, so I had to just bend it out of the way. The cable attaches on this end exactly the same way as the handle end. The hard bit was getting the end oriented, in the hole, and then keeping it ther while I fumbled around getting the retainer swiveled into place. Took a few tries, but I got it.
Kudos to Kia for making the cable bisexual. It was the same on both ends, so orientation didn't matter. Brilliant!

And let me guess - all the poo poo with the door latch had to be done completely blind because it was inside of the door? I got closely acquainted with the guts of all 4 doors in the Nova when I was unfucking all the window mechanisms. By the time I was finished up my arms looked like I just got done wrangling a herd of cats. But now I can say that I can put the window tracks back together while blindfolded.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

And let me guess - all the poo poo with the door latch had to be done completely blind because it was inside of the door? I got closely acquainted with the guts of all 4 doors in the Nova when I was unfucking all the window mechanisms. By the time I was finished up my arms looked like I just got done wrangling a herd of cats. But now I can say that I can put the window tracks back together while blindfolded.

I did the same thing with my 4runner. My drivers side door got caught by a wind gust one day and bent my door check. I couldn't roll my window down/up so I figured it was just going to be a quick replacement of the door check ($20 for a new one) remove the three fasteners and I would be done.

What I didn't realize is that 4 runners door checks have 2 hooked ends like a T, that move very close to the steel window track. If the wind gets your door good enough, one side of the T will catch the track and then bend the track out of shape. My track got pinched and bent in the process. I had to open the track up again by hammering a small piece of wood into the 3/4" track all the way up until it was back to its original width. Then I had to bend the steel track back to its original position which was the hardest part. There is zero room or visibility in there and it was welded into the door, and pretty decent steel. Most of what I was doing was blind. I would do something and then check back up there. It took multiple attempts, several days to finally get it figured out.

I took the panel off so many times that I could do it blindfolded now. I had to get really creative. Using a short hammer, several pry bars, a long flat blade screw driver, a block of wood to wedge the track back to its original width, and then my most genius move was using a long threaded bold with a few large nuts/washers as a spreader. One side was on a structural part of the door, the nuts were against the window track. As I loosened the nuts, it slowly forced the track back into the line. Fixing something when you have all the right tools is one thing, but when you have to improvise and figure out a new solution with tools that aren't necessarily meant to do what you need, but then it all comes together. Holy poo poo that feeling is nice.

My arms and hands were really torn up after getting it fixed but the feeling of completion was nice.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Changed my filters. Well, the cabin filter. The airbox screws have seized up over the winter somehow. What penetrant is worth buying that isn't dogshit WD40?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Pb blaster is a good can get it anywhere stuff, kw's knock er loose is my favorite though. Up north people swear by some stuff called kroil though.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Right on, thanks. I'll have a look for those.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've always used PB blaster.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Seriously, you guys?

http://www.messicks.com/part/B505502/case-12-oz-penetrating-oil

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
PANTHER PISS

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Keep going, you have a really beautiful way with words.

Well, you have a beautiful way with my words, anyway!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

You know it. I had to stick my phone in there to find the screw holding the plastic cover on.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Replaced the battery on the 996TT and holy poo poo is it awkward trying to leverage a giant battery over 3 feet of frunk at waist height without rubbing the paint.

Ready for spring though :getin:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Spent 140 quid (255 AUD) on a bunch of Minor parts, mostly distributor and carb rebuild stuff as well as a couple of hoses that are perished. I also finally took the plunge on a £60 NOS indicator stalk as mine is missing the charming little green light on the end. It's genuine Lucas so I've no doubt it will already be broken. Now to sit by the door and wait.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Installed my impulse purchase!

Before:

After:

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Looks good man, has a much more modern style to it :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Those are pretty neat. Are you going to sell the old ones, or hang onto them forever so they are numbers matching at Pebble Beach 2028?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thanks, it's the look I was going for so I'm happy :)

I'm keeping them until I end up selling the car. I'm distrustful of aftermarket LED's and I want a backup in case they end up being crap long term.

Plus 100% numbers matching original, I KNOW WHAT I GOT.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Swapped out my Evo for a Circuit

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I STILL have those drat tails that I bought from you for my old Altima. Never did get around to installing them (or selling them).

I should probably get on selling them, since I'm moving nearly 200 miles away (... a little over 300 km?) away in a couple of months. I've tossed them on Craigslist a few times and had people ask about them, but CL being CL, they never show.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh wow, yeah it's been a while. I've got the same experience on our Craigslist equivalent Kijiji, terrible signal to noise ratio. I've actually had much better luck tossing things onto eBay or finding model specific forums. Try those maybe? EBay just sucks because their cut is too much and iirc they double dip with eBay fees and PayPal fees.

BlackMK4 posted:

Swapped out my Evo for a Circuit

Nice, looking online those two look pretty similar with the circuit looking to have more head restraint. Any particular reason for the switch?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Extracted this thing and hung it on the wall.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Painted (some of) my bonnet.

Gonna flip it over tomorrow and do the top coat on the top. I ran out of time today as it took me absolutely ages to get the top flat.

Got to buy some stick on insulation to hide the messy bit at the front of the underside.

Car just jengas back into the garage.

Also attempted to fix the front spoiler back together using fibre glass sheet and por15. Will see tomorrow if this has worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Bought it! 2018 Poop Troupe.