Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Sheesh, turning off mobgriefing is pretty much required when playing MSB3 isn't it? Evolved Endermen will grab your blocks just as much as regular ones.

On a side note I found out mobs will walk off of ladders just like trapdoors. Don't leave a ladder on the side of your mob drop platform/tower unless you want a creeper showing up unannounced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Sheesh, turning off mobgriefing is pretty much required when playing MSB3 isn't it? Evolved Endermen will grab your blocks just as much as regular ones.

On a side note I found out mobs will walk off of ladders just like trapdoors. Don't leave a ladder on the side of your mob drop platform/tower unless you want a creeper showing up unannounced.

I mean, is your entire platform dirt? Dirt and plants are about the only thing endermen can pick up. That being said, I kept having them steal the dirt blocks for my Twilight Forest portal, shutting it off and spilling water everywhere. :v: Fortunately I'd placed an RFTools teleport receiver thinger in the TF, so I didn't have to waste another dragonstone.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SevTech: Ages is out, and just messing around it seems pretty neat so far. It's quest-based through the achievement system, and items are locked out based on progression.

This is all you start with, but things seem to unlock pretty quickly.

Early tip: you need feathers and ink sacs early on for villager trades, since that's the only way to get farmable dirt or the antique atlas so far. But if you find farmed dirt in the world, you can still use it like that; you just can't till it yourself.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
It feels a lot like Gregtech in the respect that it throws a massive monkey wrench into the early game and even the most basic mechanics don't work the way you're used to them working.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I actually really like that MSB3 doesn't change recipes much, it makes making your way through mods a lot easier.

Are there any mods for 1.12 that build structures? Like a room...building...wand or something like that?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Falcon2001 posted:

I actually really like that MSB3 doesn't change recipes much, it makes making your way through mods a lot easier.

Are there any mods for 1.12 that build structures? Like a room...building...wand or something like that?

Just the Better Builder's Wands.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Falcon2001 posted:

Mike Dongles mod has some stuff like Dirt Dongle which clears a flat area, and a stairs dongle that builds stairs down to bedrock

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Is there a way to get Journeymap's patreon screen to stop showing up every time I launch minecraft? It's getting annoying. I remember it used to stop showing up after the first time, now it shows up every time. If this trend continues there's going to be a patreon button in the goddamn UI.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

McFrugal posted:

Is there a way to get Journeymap's patreon screen to stop showing up every time I launch minecraft? It's getting annoying. I remember it used to stop showing up after the first time, now it shows up every time. If this trend continues there's going to be a patreon button in the goddamn UI.
In the Journeymap options screen, the bottom-most menu option (I don't remember what it's called), click that and uncheck "announce mod".

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Trying out this SevTech thing, and it looks like it is initially cribbing a shitload of themes/mechanics from TerraFirmaCraft. Oh dear.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Devor posted:

The design philosophy was "give me something that I (Sevadus) can play on stream for 6 months", sooo unless there's an easy mode (I don't think there's an easy mode yet) it might be on the grindy side for the end game stuff.

I don't understand how normal people play modpacks without cheating. I'm currently unemployed and feel overwhelmed by RPGs which advertise 80+ hours to complete, but each of the dozens of modpacks out there easily outclasses that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bouchacha posted:

I don't understand how normal people play modpacks without cheating. I'm currently unemployed and feel overwhelmed by RPGs which advertise 80+ hours to complete, but each of the dozens of modpacks out there easily outclasses that.

Why are you cheating in a modpack? The only time I ever feel compelled to cheat is if something is obviously broken, and I don't feel like waiting for the modpack author to fix it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Trying out this SevTech thing, and it looks like it is initially cribbing a shitload of themes/mechanics from TerraFirmaCraft. Oh dear.

i watched giantwaffle earlier this morning play it and it looked interesting. Checked back 8 hours later and hes still using stone tools.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Why are you cheating in a modpack? The only time I ever feel compelled to cheat is if something is obviously broken, and I don't feel like waiting for the modpack author to fix it.

Because modpacks are not necessarily well-paced or well-balanced experiences for everyone. For example I gave Agrarian Skies 1 a fair shake at first but grew increasingly frustrated at constantly falling to my death because I was busy looking upwards. I cheated by giving myself an infinite stack of half-slabs, a builder's wand, and turned on creative. It was much more fun after I staked out a large platform on there. I had a lot more fun with the modpack after that because I spent my time figuring out clever ways of creating resource assembly lines rather than literal hours sifting and hammering.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

i watched giantwaffle earlier this morning play it and it looked interesting. Checked back 8 hours later and hes still using stone tools.

Yeah. I played for about an hour, whereupon I got a kiln and fire grate going, as well as over a dozen counts of wolf murder. I was accosted by a "Karate Zombie" wearing a karate gi one night, but he was only a white belt so I wasn't very scared.

Bouchacha posted:

Because modpacks are not necessarily well-paced or well-balanced experiences for everyone. For example I gave Agrarian Skies 1 a fair shake at first but grew increasingly frustrated at constantly falling to my death because I was busy looking upwards.

I find that not falling to your death is the right decision, instead.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I find that not falling to your death is the right decision, instead.

Good thing we live in a world where we can both individually choose what works best for us :)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Forgiving Void is a great mod. If you have a gravestone mod on top of that, you'll have no chance of losing your stuff.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Sevtech reminds me a bit of Serious Remnants. Way more polished though.

All this epak of MSB3 has gotten me to drop PO2 in favor of it. It's hard playing in 1.7.2 with all the qol changes made in MC proper. Can't wait to see similar modpacks in 1.13

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Giving MSB3 a go.

On the gated option. ATM only basic resources and basic tinkering is open. DO i seriously have to finish all the quests in there before flowers ro something else opens up?

Though i only have 4 quests left for basic resources, one of which is going to the nether :/

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Giving MSB3 a go.

On the gated option. ATM only basic resources and basic tinkering is open. DO i seriously have to finish all the quests in there before flowers ro something else opens up?

Though i only have 4 quests left for basic resources, one of which is going to the nether :/

In gated mode, you need to complete quests in the Questbook section before more quest chapters open up. The quests in the chapters themselves are optional, but the loot chests you get for doing em can sometimes have good stuff, so they are still worth doing.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

In gated mode, you need to complete quests in the Questbook section before more quest chapters open up. The quests in the chapters themselves are optional, but the loot chests you get for doing em can sometimes have good stuff, so they are still worth doing.

Quest book section only has the 2 for me? I will look after work tomorrow i guess

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Quest book section only has the 2 for me? I will look after work tomorrow i guess

Do those quests, and more open up.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bouchacha posted:

Because modpacks are not necessarily well-paced or well-balanced experiences for everyone. For example I gave Agrarian Skies 1 a fair shake at first but grew increasingly frustrated at constantly falling to my death because I was busy looking upwards. I cheated by giving myself an infinite stack of half-slabs, a builder's wand, and turned on creative. It was much more fun after I staked out a large platform on there. I had a lot more fun with the modpack after that because I spent my time figuring out clever ways of creating resource assembly lines rather than literal hours sifting and hammering.
Hold shift.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I'm trying to get the Pam's gardens in MSB3 but so far I've burned through four stone rock grinders to no avail. Is there a trick to it?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Do those quests, and more open up.

Specifically, completing the quests with the fancy borders in each chapter opens the next chapter(s). Don't forget to activate the quests in the first chapter, in order to unlock new recipes.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

MaliciousOnion posted:

Specifically, completing the quests with the fancy borders in each chapter opens the next chapter(s). Don't forget to activate the quests in the first chapter, in order to unlock new recipes.

That's for staged mode. Gated mode has special quests in the Questbook chapter that require various items from the stuff you've unlocked. (Read: extra grind.)

MaliciousOnion posted:

I'm trying to get the Pam's gardens in MSB3 but so far I've burned through four stone rock grinders to no avail. Is there a trick to it?

The trick is to not bother with them, and make a Market instead. The shipping bin can give you lots of emeralds.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Khorne posted:

Hold shift.

Yes I know, but holding shift conflicts with trying to quickly rush through the tedious grindy portion of the pack.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I think I've only cheated twice so far in my MSB3 world, first was that loving sapling quest where you have to fish out one of every tree sapling, that was very close to me rage uninstalling the pack. The second was Botania where I threw a stack of iron in to the elven portal and somehow only got one elven steel back (I think I spammed "Q" too quick).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

AceClown posted:

The second was Botania where I threw a stack of iron in to the elven portal and somehow only got one elven steel back (I think I spammed "Q" too quick).

Did you throw manasteel or regular iron? Also, your mana pools with pylons on them fuel the portal's trades -- if they are empty, your trades will be in limbo. Try filling up both the pools a bit -- I bet the elementium will start popping.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SevTech status:

Stone age automation. :smugdog:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

SevTech status:

Stone age automation. :smugdog:

That's amazing.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

Giving MSB3 a go.

Look for the quests that have the 'castle' frame for them or say 'main quest = yes' when you hold shift over them. You don't need to do everything, just the main ones.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Each type of tree leaf gives a different garden, which wasn't mentioned in the quest text. You can Botania your way to different trees.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That's for staged mode. Gated mode has special quests in the Questbook chapter that require various items from the stuff you've unlocked. (Read: extra grind.)

Are you sure? I'm playing in Gated mode and it's basically just 'do the main quests'.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 25, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Falcon2001 posted:

Are you sure? I'm playing in Gated mode and it's basically just 'do the main quests'.

Very sure. The crown border quests in Gated mode don't do anything. Staged mode is where those matter. You can ignore any quest in Gated mode that isn't in the Questbook chapter.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Very sure. The crown border quests in Gated mode don't do anything. Staged mode is where those matter. You can ignore any quest in Gated mode that isn't in the Questbook chapter.

Yeah, whoops. I named my world 'gated' but apparently I'm running staged. MY BAD.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
how much ram are you giving sevtech ages to run properly? The default 3072 definitely does not work. Trying 5gb now.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

how much ram are you giving sevtech ages to run properly? The default 3072 definitely does not work. Trying 5gb now.

It's a pretty big modpack, so it needs a lot. Disable the smooth font mod; that reportedly drops the RAM requirement by like 500MB or some poo poo.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Running almost any 1.10 or later pack on less than 5 is almost begging for trouble, and most can use 6. SevTech is bigger than average as it is, so it's no exception.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

Running almost any 1.10 or later pack on less than 5 is almost begging for trouble, and most can use 6. SevTech is bigger than average as it is, so it's no exception.

why dont they include that as the default? So whats the number i put in for 6gb? Just 6000? Or does it have to be multiples of 64 or whatever?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

It's a slider. Just let it do its thing at 6. If you can afford to allocate 6, it's a good idea. Wouldn't recommend it unless you have at least 16 system RAM, though. On 8GB, the OS alone uses too much to be able to allocate 6 of it to MC. Sadly, you can still expect to run into garbage collection freezes the farther you go blow 6, though. Modded MC was literally the reason I upgraded my PC to 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Am I the only one who finds Astral Sorcery to be interesting and neat, but ultimately WAY too obscure? The neat magicky talk basically gets in the way of figuring out wtf is actually going on. Having to constantly check wiki pages to see what these things actually do when there's an in-game book feels irritating.