Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

doingitwrong posted:

Hello from much earlier in the grind.

I am fighting Kushala Daora with an Insect Glaive and for there most part the fight is fun, but Daora has this sort of non attack status thing where sometimes when I am flying through the air at it, I get knocked out of the animation but take no damage. In general the fight is a lot of my being thrown out of animations without taking damage. Staggering maybe? Is there a skills that can help me with this? I don't know what's hitting me.

It's a wind thing that Kush does. Like some sort of swirling wind that does that from time to time, similar to like Teostra radiates heat damage. It will knock down people in melee range too. You can use armor/gems with Wind resistance or whatever it's called I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
You might be surprised to hear wind resistance is good VS the wind dragon.

E: hilariously it's also pretty dangerous since it negates the non damaging winds which allow you to charge into the damaging tornados.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

doingitwrong posted:

Hello from much earlier in the grind.

I am fighting Kushala Daora with an Insect Glaive and for the most part the fight is fun, but Daora has this sort of non attack status thing where sometimes when I am flying through the air at it, I get knocked out of the animation but take no damage. In general the fight is a lot of my being thrown out of animations without taking damage. Staggering maybe? It's not the tornados that get generated. Those, I can see understand and avoid. Is there a skills that can help me with this? I don't know what's hitting me.

When Kushala rears up and does a quick roar, he summons a wind barrier around himself. Wind resistance skills will avoid it, and if you knock him over or break his horns, that'll also dispel it, or you can use a weapon with elderseal. When he's enraged, the barrier gets too strong for wind resistance skills to avoid. You can still reach his face or the tip of his tail if the barrier is up.

Best idea is just to carry around flash pods and maybe have your cat use the flash cage.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
A second clip from the same Deviljho fight that was one of my favorites ever, possibly even more unlikely than the last clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4L3THyHv1I

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Alright, I just beat the HR100 quest, still a little shaking, I really can't believe I pulled that off.
I thought I'd enjoy the game for a couple of weeks with my friends and here I am, 215+ hours later, having played the game basically evey day and still wanting to play it, but I think I'm kind of done for now, having nothing more to do basically.

I'm a newcomer to Monster Hunter, I was kind of attracted to the games but playing on handheld wasn't really my thing, especially since I only own a 3DS XL and no circle pad. I tried the last beta week end with some friends and got hooked up. We managed to down Nergigante once after many, oh so many failures (most on me, even), it was really something fun.
I played Hammers up until the end of the story, then Insect Glaive for a good while until after HR49, tried Lance a little, then discovered the Charge Blade around HR 80. What a great versatile weapon. I believe I'm still learning it since I mostly use blade mode and not really axe mode but it feels really good, the double slash on O-hold, the slides, the sword charging move...

All in all, Monster Hunter World is a really awesome game, the sense of personnal progression is outstanding, I can see why the hardcore fans of the franchise were up in arms about it. The craving for more content is insane, I had been thinking of buying a 3DS game for MORE MONSTERS but I don't think I could play without the eye candy that is MHW, the QOL additions and the dual sticks. I don't know how you guys played that without the comfort of dual sticks.
Now I just wish Capcom had put half a dozen more monsters for the endgame, or released new monsters faster. 2 months for a 7 star monster is kind of disappointing, but what can you do.
I'll most certainly come back for each new monster, especially when they supposedly release the new map, and I can't wait for G rank.
For now I'll probably shelve the game tomorrow and resume playing other games than MHW, but I'll be damned if I don't want to play it right now. Too bad I'm not interested in decoration farming, I probably could sink a couple dozen hours more.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just lanced tempered Jho in a cautious 28 minutes.

No gear augments at all, natural 370 def (though I chickened out and still ate for def). Stuck with guard 5 and guard up, though I'm not sure what if anything guard up helps on.

The tricks are 1) flash if you go into the knock down animation, it stops his one shot and 2) flash when he gets a Jagras, he'll drop it and give you time to heal or sharpen.

Sleep palico weapon triggers three times in 28 minutes. Bring bombs. Save your first mount for an enrage, and don't forget poison puddles and paratoads, he visits zones with both.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I love this game and I just beat Xeno not long ago but ugh, everything about tempered investigations is butts. I beat the double-bazel quest but I am absolutely struggling to find any Tier 2 investigations. The tracking spawns are so rare. I mean, I don't even have any Tier 1 investigations either but I don't care about those so much. I need my decos man. I'm only HR 33 or something so I have a long way to go for Kirin. It's doubly frustrating since people don't post Tempereds very often which gives me a sad.

It's frustrating because so much else about the game (even the concept of investigations in general) is pretty great. I know this is supposed to be the endgame grind and all but just getting to a starting point in it is terribly obtuse.

occamsnailfile fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 25, 2018

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

occamsnailfile posted:

I love this game and I just beat Xeno not long ago but ugh, everything about tempered investigations is butts. I beat the double-bazel quest but I am absolutely struggling to find any Tier 2 investigations. The tracking spawns are so rare. I mean, I don't even have any Tier 1 investigations either but I don't care about those so much. I need my decos man. I'm only HR 33 or something so I have a long way to go for Kirin. It's doubly frustrating since people don't post Tempereds very often which gives me a sad.

It's frustrating because so much else about the game (even the concept of investigations in general) is pretty great. I know this is supposed to be the endgame grind and all but just getting to a starting point in it is terribly obtuse.

This part suuuuuuuucks.

Here's what I've found for wildspire:
Jump down to the underground sandy area from the camp (15?) and run straight ahead and there's always a tempered diablos track/gouge.
If Black Diablos is on the map there will be a gouge if you do to the lair. It's on the left as you head in.
If Bazel is on the map, there's a misfired scale right outside the first camp.

I've seen azure rathalos tracks in the forest and various ones on the elder's recess but they seem random.
There always seems to be one in the lavasioth area.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

occamsnailfile posted:

Getting past the initial hump with tempered investigations is rough but once you do it's not too bad. The event missions are really good for it, so hopefully they bring them back frequently. My advice is look up some tempered investigation farming routes on youtube and run those until you get a tier 2 investigation. Once you have that, you can use it to generate more. The ideal is Diablos or Black Diablos, especially Black if she starts in her lair. She'll pace around there for a long time and generate an rear end-ton of tracks, which makes for easy farming.

If you stick with it you'll also eventually unlock the optional quest A Summons From Below. This is after unlocking Tier 3 investigations so it's not immediately useful to you but it's a quest with a tempered Vaal and a tempered Odo and can be used to reliably farm both tier 2 and tier 3 investigations.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Fighting Vaal as a lance user is baaaaaalls.
40 goddamn minutes to kill him, with the help of some idiot with a hammer and another with a charge blade

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Kill deviljho three times without a cart. "Oh! I should use a voucher next time!"

Triple cart.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

CodfishCartographer posted:

Kill deviljho three times without a cart. "Oh! I should use a voucher next time!"

Triple cart.

If someone told me that using a voucher added 10k health and made him enrage 2x more, I'd nod and add that I don't think he even begins to lose health until you cart twice.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

40 goddamn minutes to kill him, with the help of some idiot with a hammer and another with a charge blade

Two much better Lancers than I am posted videos of Vaal clears a few pages back. If you are having a tough time, go check them out for pointers.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Vaal is probably the easiest Elder in the game with both Lance and Gunlance, so tell us what you're having trouble with, we can help you out.

Also what Huxley said.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Triple cart.

Beat him next attempt with a voucher. Got no streamstones.

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

Chewbot posted:

Testing a switchaxe on normal Jho, had one of the most hilarious fights in 200 hours of MHW after Bazel shows up.

Butt-clenching short clip from that fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na8zY9QRnVs

haha wow that was great

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Is the new patch in? Because I can go to the gathering zone after a mission but my hunting horn self buff isn't +attack like they promised.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Zanael posted:

For now I'll probably shelve the game tomorrow and resume playing other games than MHW, but I'll be damned if I don't want to play it right now. Too bad I'm not interested in decoration farming, I probably could sink a couple dozen hours more.

Now you get to experience one of the greatest parts of this series, not playing it for a year. And then coming back when g-rank is released.

You will suck for about 1 mission. Then you will start to recover your muscle memory. In about 10 fights you will got from being hit by every other attack to being 90% of the master you are today.

Then you will fight something new and get your rear end handed to you. Personally, I'm hoping a monkey throws poop at me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So does the Nerg arena quest drop anything special? Dragon Coins? Do they unlock and cool new workshop weapons? I'm flying to Japan in a bit so sadly won't get to try it out.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I just tried tempered Jho with hammer and Holy poo poo that was miserable. How do you guys handle him?

E: honestly I struggle to fight him using anything without a block. His hitboxes are just so huge that reliably dodging them is super painful.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 25, 2018

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Stand at his feet and dodge towards him. This works for most of his attacks.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Finally did get a Tier 2 investigation. Easier to farm tracks once you're in them obviously. I've been dutifully SOSing all of mine so far so other people can track farm/deco farm with me, also help kill mon. I don't even mind the deco grind since the core gameplay of hunting mons is fun, just the track-farming at the beginning of the Tempered hunts is really dull.

On a related note, for the Kirin quest, you can't farm the investigations until after you beat it right? Like no entering, farming, abandoning a few times? I was sorta kicking myself for finishing the Bazel quest without doing that.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

occamsnailfile posted:

Finally did get a Tier 2 investigation. Easier to farm tracks once you're in them obviously. I've been dutifully SOSing all of mine so far so other people can track farm/deco farm with me, also help kill mon. I don't even mind the deco grind since the core gameplay of hunting mons is fun, just the track-farming at the beginning of the Tempered hunts is really dull.

On a related note, for the Kirin quest, you can't farm the investigations until after you beat it right? Like no entering, farming, abandoning a few times? I was sorta kicking myself for finishing the Bazel quest without doing that.

You can farm it. Just choose the quest end option that doesn't revert you to your pre-quest status.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Krinkle posted:

Is the new patch in? Because I can go to the gathering zone after a mission but my hunting horn self buff isn't +attack like they promised.

Patch has been out for a bit and the horn self-improvement buff is in, they just didn't bother changing the name. It's a 15% boost to your raw, you can see it on your sheet attack when you encore self improvement. You only get it on the encore.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

I just tried tempered Jho with hammer and Holy poo poo that was miserable. How do you guys handle him?

E: honestly I struggle to fight him using anything without a block. His hitboxes are just so huge that reliably dodging them is super painful.

Yeah I've seen a LOT of people running Lance on this quest. This quest alone is going to boost it's usage %. A lot of Bow users too.

I've been trying to add at least two levels of evade window as I'm not using weapons that block. That helps a lot.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Farmed Jho a lot today with my greatsword. I found that avoiding his attacks become much easier with evade extender 2. The annoying thing is that his weakspots are incredibly hard to hit so the fight takes forever. My fastest kill was still 20 minutes.

Got 5 hero's streamstones but still don't have one for blade.

Curse you desire sensor.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lance is really good at stabbing him in the grundle on top of being able to block his attacks. I have a newfound appreciation for it after my struggling against him with long sword, which isn't long enough to hit his tail from the ground.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I guess I should use these 2 hero and 8 warrior ranged streamstones on some stuff. I'm thinking Karma and Nergi HBG for the hero stones and 4 of the warrior stones for the Jho HBG. Are there any rarity 7 LBGs worth a drat?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
To the pubbie that decided to hide in camp during a 2-man, 1-cart, Tempered Vaal run:

gently caress you, I did it without your help.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 25, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I've actually found I have a lot of success against tempered Jho with IG. Quick hits, and the mobility helps avoid attacks that regular dodges can't. Plus you can chase after him fairly easily if he charges off after your cat or a jagras or something.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Switch Axe in Axe mode is also really good at hitting Jho's hard to hit bits, but after doing this all day it really sucks getting to the end of the long hunt and getting 5 jho parts as your reward.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Lance is my preferred weapon to farm Vaal with, I posted this video earlier of my process. Maybe it could be helpful!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtO99dnHEhY&t=94s

also check out this run from AttackBacon who shows off a much better route and some things I didn't know about

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I'm going to do a bit of a numbers effort post when I get back to my PlayStation in a couple of days, but does anyone have much in-hunt experience with the Jho ranged weapons? I'd like to expand my bowgun options beyond Legiana Pierce 3, Odo rapid Normal 2, and spread 2/3 with Jagras/Nerg guns. The LBG looks far too unwieldy on paper so I made the HBG. It still suffers from poor recoil and poor reload speeds but it hits like a truck in the training room.

My critical/attack set with Karma can hit ~125 per burst on the training log, while the Normal 3 shots from the Jho cannon can crit for that much. The trade off seems to be that Karma demands good aim to hit with the whole burst, while the cannon isn't as finicky but plants you in place to fire with significant deviation. The wyvernheart attack with an HBG that can get over 400 attack is absolutely brutal though. Surprisingly, the cannon holds plenty of shots and has low recoil for poison, sleep and exhaust shots so you can fit in some minor status utility. It's just as good at using Dragon shot as the LBG too, if you need to rip up an elder dragon and your wyvernheart is on cooldown. It hits comparably to the Nerg gun using spread shot but with such hard recoil guarding is going to be tricky.

Still, if you want something that acted and sounded like a proper hbg you'll enjoy the jho gun.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Night Blade posted:

Switch Axe in Axe mode is also really good at hitting Jho's hard to hit bits, but after doing this all day it really sucks getting to the end of the long hunt and getting 5 jho parts as your reward.

Yeah axe mode has some great vertical reach.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
A shattercryst build with guard 5 and a guard up gem is very fun to hunt tempered jho with in MP.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Oh man that guy is long as hell. Yeah that would be a good guy to shoot with pierce 3.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Got two SAED finishers in a single mount, first I've ever seen that. This was against an LR Kulu for the limited bounty, so I wonder if the damage from Tyrannis with its weak resists caused it. The first triggered very quickly and the second was immediately after.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know people wrote about some guard and shotgun type HBG build way earlier in the thread, anyone still got that handy? I still haven't used the HBG a single time in World and it sounds like it could be fun.

v1ld posted:

Got two SAED finishers in a single mount, first I've ever seen that. This was against an LR Kulu for the limited bounty, so I wonder if the damage from Tyrannis with its weak resists caused it. The first triggered very quickly and the second was immediately after.
Mounting is very wonky in World, it's either bugged or designed to be random. Sometimes you need to stab for a minute before you get the finisher, other times it takes three stabs. Sometimes you get multiple finishers, other times you don't get any finishers. It's uh... yeah :iiam:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Six AM posted:

A shattercryst build with guard 5 and a guard up gem is very fun to hunt tempered jho with in MP.

The gently caress's a shattercryst?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

And Tyler Too! posted:

The gently caress's a shattercryst?

HBG